CONFIRMED Scott Hogan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Luke1993

Reaction score
If, big if villa go up, he's currently 3rd choice now behind grabban and kodjia and I presume that they may buy another striker. 26 had injuries but seems to be over them, is proven at championship level and is quick. I think he cost them between 4-6mil but a loan maybe?

If we can get him on loan. & in his Brentford form. could be the best signing of the year

This is a good suggestion in terms of availability if they go up. I don’t think it’s a big if either. I fancy them to beat Fulham. They’re built for a Wembley final.

Here’s the problem.....Hogan will be on huge wages. As will Grabban, both of whom would fit the bill for me in terms of upgrading he top end of the pitch. I feel both are just slightly out of reach in terms of cost though. Unless the owners suddenly feel generous or we have a wealthier owner taking over, we are still going to be looking below us for a hidden gem.

Too many suitors with more money for players like that.

We can forget about any of these 'obvious' quality striker signings.

The gap between what the richest clubs in the league can pay and what the likes of us can pay has never been bigger. There aren't many good available strikers about so they'll quickly be hoovered up.

More than ever, we have to be astute and clever.

We can forget about any of these 'obvious' quality striker signings.

The gap between what the richest clubs in the league can pay and what the likes of us can pay has never been bigger. There aren't many good available strikers about so they'll quickly be hoovered up.

More than ever, we have to be astute and clever.
Genuine question then, where do we find them? Or at least look?
Our academy hasn't produced a Championship striker since Billy.
We can't afford a striker who is already netting 20+ goals in this league.
It seems we are reluctant to buy from abroad. The top scorers in Legue 1 are still touted above our price range.
What's left, Back to Scotland?
Murphy wasn't really cheap and he was relatively highly rated already. Lyle Taylor had me optimistic but failed to cut it.
Who are our scouts now? We took the piss out of Clough and his Derby connections but many of Wilders signings are players he already knew.
Is it too simplistic to ask why we don't send a scout around Europe and South America just to look at every young, promising strikers in the lower leagues?

Is it too simplistic to ask why we don't send a scout around Europe and South America just to look at every young, promising strikers in the lower leagues?

But really with tv now we dont need to send someone really because most countries are on tv English MLS Scottish Spanish & dutch are sky. France italy Germany brazil & Austraila on bt sport. Portugal & beligium on other channels

So can shortlist before you can pin point & fly

Genuine question then, where do we find them? Or at least look?
Our academy hasn't produced a Championship striker since Billy.
We can't afford a striker who is already netting 20+ goals in this league.
It seems we are reluctant to buy from abroad. The top scorers in Legue 1 are still touted above our price range.
What's left, Back to Scotland?
Murphy wasn't really cheap and he was relatively highly rated already. Lyle Taylor had me optimistic but failed to cut it.
Who are our scouts now? We took the piss out of Clough and his Derby connections but many of Wilders signings are players he already knew.

Yep, despite the laughable setup we had under FLN and the newsagent, we're still quite insular with our approach. But at least it's been successful this time.

We just have to look for the best loans we can, look at players who we think have more to offer than they've recently shown, look at players who have the ability but have yet to rise to prominence (think Marriott this time last year), and also look abroad.

But really with tv now we dont need to send someone really because most countries are on tv English MLS Scottish Spanish & dutch are sky. France italy Germany brazil & Austraila on bt sport. Portugal & beligium on other channels

So can shortlist before you can pin point & fly

Clubs have video scouting platforms where they can access pretty much any match in any notable league. They can scout players extensively without even going to watch them 'in the flesh'. It's on a plate for them. There's no excuse for not looking when the domestic market's dried up.

I don't know what the secret is to loans to be honset.
Do you have to have friends in the game? Are they still favours from other managers and coaches? How come some teams, even in undesirable places (like Barnsley) with no obvious ties to the players parent club still manage to pluck good youngsters on season longs!?
Don't get me wrong it hasn't come off but I wonder who had the last say on where Wilson went? Will Premiership sides appreciate or style, would that be in our favour?

I don't know what the secret is to loans to be honset.
Do you have to have friends in the game? Are they still favours from other managers and coaches? How come some teams, even in undesirable places (like Barnsley) with no obvious ties to the players parent club still manage to pluck good youngsters on season longs!?
Don't get me wrong it hasn't come off but I wonder who had the last say on where Wilson went? Will Premiership sides appreciate or style, would that be in our favour?

These days, unfortunately much seems to depend on who's willing to pay the biggest loan fee and wage percentage. Fuck whether it's the best place for his development!

Having the right contacts will help but much is also based on style of play and playing opportunities. Barnsley are seen as a development club. If a PL club send a player there they know he'll get good game time. Style of play/formation probably helped us get CCV last season. It should help us get decent strikers but I'm not holding my breath.

Isn't Grabban still on loan from Bournemouth?

Looked at his record. Apart from a purple patch at Brentford he hasn’t done anything special.

Looked at his record. Apart from a purple patch at Brentford he hasn’t done anything special.
17 goals in a season when he was 21 too.
He's only 26 now.
Not that it matters or helps us but I didn't realise he played for Stockbridge(although doesn't Wilder live up that way?)

You guys who are advocating that he’d be a good signing, can you tell us what this is based on?

I see that his career is a story of falling in and out of non-league football, then getting a move to Brentford where he had one very good season, scoring 21 goals, getting his big move to Villa, and doing nowt since.

I’m outside the U.K. currently and I put my telly on in the hotel bedroom last night and was surprised to see an English football game on. It was the EFL cup game between Colchester United and Aston Villa, from the start of last season, a good game actually. I watched every minute of it. I particularly watched Hogan’s performance seeing as some on here have been suggesting him as the type of player we need.

He opened the scoring on 7 minutes with an easy goal tbh - then after that he did zero. He was frequently running offside, losing the ball, and failing to impress against League 2 defenders. Eventually he was subbed off in the second half.

I just thought afterwards...some folks seem to base their knowledge of what’s good for us based on very limited information - one swallow does not a summer make - and one good season in a career for a 26 year old striker is no evidence at all that the bloke is any better, or anywhere near as good, as what we’ve got.

If Villa paid anywhere near £12m for him it just shows how ridiculous the whole transfer system has become.

He’s a lower league player of average ability at best. Stay clear - I wouldn’t want him even on a free!

You guys who are advocating that he’d be a good signing, can you tell us what this is based on?

I see that his career is a story of falling in and out of non-league football, then getting a move to Brentford where he had one very good season, scoring 21 goals, getting his big move to Villa, and doing nowt since.

I’m outside the U.K. currently and I put my telly on in the hotel bedroom last night and was surprised to see an English football game on. It was the EFL cup game between Colchester United and Aston Villa, from the start of last season, a good game actually. I watched every minute of it. I particularly watched Hogan’s performance seeing as some on here have been suggesting him as the type of player we need.

He opened the scoring on 7 minutes with an easy goal tbh - then after that he did zero. He was frequently running offside, losing the ball, and failing to impress against League 2 defenders. Eventually he was subbed off in the second half.

I just thought afterwards...some folks seem to base their knowledge of what’s good for us based on very limited information - one swallow does not a summer make - and one good season in a career for a 26 year old striker is no evidence at all that the bloke is any better, or anywhere near as good, as what we’ve got.

If Villa paid anywhere near £12m for him it just shows how ridiculous the whole transfer system has become.

He’s a lower league player of average ability at best. Stay clear - I wouldn’t want him even on a free!

I have often wondered if there is a channel that shows every Football league and Premiership game in full, or if some of our fans travel all over the country watching other teams.
I can honestly say i don't even know if i have ever seen Hogan play in a live game.
I don't tend to pay much attention to watching opposition players against United unless they really stand out like Kabba did.
So other than looking on YouTube or Wikipedia which are not the most reliable to base an opinion on I'm a bit baffled to how some of our fans seem to know he'd be such a good signing.

I get your point with Hogan, but it's slightly contradictory to say "One swallow does not a summer make" based on his one good season for Brentford when your basing the majority of your view on one game in a pretty meaningless League Cup tie against a League Two side, nearly a year ago.

I get your point with Hogan, but it's slightly contradictory to say "One swallow does not a summer make" based on his one good season for Brentford when your basing the majority of your view on one game in a pretty meaningless League Cup tie against a League Two side, nearly a year ago.

He’s quick has scored goals in the past. These are the players we have to go for.

We all would like Kodija / Abraham etc but we don’t shop in those markets. Which is why realism has to come into it.

We have to take the players who aren’t in favour / form at other teams. But they have to have characteristics that CW wants.

Leon Clarke is the best example. No one in the championship expected him to do anything (me included) but CW and AK will get it out of you.

Bladezz that's absolutely correct. Even with our improved budget there's only 3 type.of.player we can afford to buy.

Firstly an end of career, moving down the leagues.

Secondly, as you say, one with potential playing at a decent level where it hasn't really worked for whatever reason.

Thirdly an up and coming lower league player who has scored a load and has the potential to do it at a higher level.

Of the three the second appears to be the lowest risk and seems to be the preferred option of Wilder. We know how the first option normally plays out and the third option would have us clamouring to sign McNulty or Lyle Taylor !

This is why the likes of Hughill and Hogan are linked with us and to be honest I'd be happy with either

Seen this on twitter. Seems a reputable source? (1.3k followers).

This would be a great signing, just cant see it happening myself.

Attachments

• 50D97AAE-D578-469C-96B6-C6E94F1773DA.jpeg
    50D97AAE-D578-469C-96B6-C6E94F1773DA.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 45

Back
Top Bottom