Sander Berge

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FMBlade1

Reaction score
There's a player in there no doubt.

However I think he needs bedding in and getting used to the system, regardless of what we've paid for him. His short passing is nice but he's not been particularly threatening, which is understandable of course.

Lunny has his flaws but he has the knack of being in the right place at the right time and right now that's exactly what we need.

However I think he needs bedding in and getting used to the system, regardless of what we've paid for him. His short passing is nice but he's not been particularly threatening, which is understandable of course.

Lunny has his flaws but he has the knack of being in the right place at the right time and right now that's exactly what we need.
How do you bed him in to the system without playing him?

Thought he was a bit lost first half and certainly lost maupay for the goal ( or seemed to ) but thought he did well second half
Needs to learn when to go down as I though he was too honest ,just carrying on and ignoring some of the rugby type challenges on him

Yep all better than starting and finishing games. If we’ve made the decision to start him for last 3. I don’t see point in pulling him now

He's a defensive midfielder by trade, he's not meant to be particularly threatening. Him for Norwood is a more natural swap for Berge, but he hasn't shown Norwood's range of passing, yet.

He did mention.in.his interview after signing that a big reason behind him.coming here was he was promised game time every week ( I am paraphrasing a bit )

Thought he was a bit lost first half and certainly lost maupay for the goal ( or seemed to ) but thought he did well second half
Needs to learn when to go down as I though he was too honest ,just carrying on and ignoring some of the rugby type challenges on him

Thats how I saw it.....he was our weak link first half...looked uncomfortable as though he was playing out of position.
but credit to him....second half he was up to speed and looked decent.......thought Fleck was brilliant today...looked really on his game.

He's a direct replacement for Norwood shoehorned into a position that doesn't really suit him. Problem is Norwood ain't going anywhere so I hope Sander can adjust.
He looks a bit slack in possession to play the Norwood role. Most of the stuff I’ve seen of him has him bombing down the right.

Not sure you can blame him for the goal we had three defenders who should have got to the ball before Maupay, but I do agree he is off the pace of the Premier League in speed of thought three more games should see him right.

Got to remember he’s come from a totally different county, different league. He was never going to hit the ground running, next season he’ll be quality.

Id like to see him play the Norwood role against reading

He's a direct replacement for Norwood shoehorned into a position that doesn't really suit him. Problem is Norwood ain't going anywhere so I hope Sander can adjust.

I've been saying that for the past couple of weeks. He doesn't have the mobility to play the role he's playing to its full potential.

If we're in a relegation dog fight, no way is he starting for us. He's a project for next season.

He seems to lack the aggressiveness our players tend to have. He will learn. We paid big money for the potential, he isn't the finished article.

and that in a nutshell is where we are at.

In terms of Sander picking up the pace of the Prem - he won't be up to speed until after a full pre-season.

We are going to have to use him properly or the team will suffer without Lunny's energy that he brings.

We had to bring Sander in now as after the Euros he may have been out of our bracket, but in three games, we have potential problems trying to shoehorn him in.

UTB

For me he needs to work on his angles a bit when he’s out of possession. He’s not always available to receive a pass as he finds himself covered by a defender.

It won't be a disaster for Berge if Lundstram starts vs Norwich. First half we chose to go down the left hand side a lot more than the right. As a team I don't think we're quite as confident going down our right at the moment. Norwegian TV again said Berge had covered the most ground on the pitch first half, but he tends to do a lot of running without getting near the ball. He gets into the box a lot, but may be a bit surprised to see that we often don't cross if it's not right, preferring to recycle possession going back or switching sides.

The way we attack, with a lot of neat triangles and movement, requires a lot of great relations between players. Being new to the country, the league, the teammates and not least the role, it's a very tough ask to adapt immediately. Individually Basham and Baldock aren't the most composed players at this level, although Lundstram is. Those three know each other and our system inside out though. Together they can be a force. Lundstram only became a regular this season, but the formation change and the RCM role has been ideal for him, given his physical progress. Berge is known to be calm on the ball, but he's used to having a lot more time and space.

Today Berge played a couple of passes to Baldock and Basham and they were good passes, but they were in front of them, into space. So they had to run on to them, which they did, but it struck me that those passes were different to what we normally do, which is more to feet. On another occasion Berge tried to pass the ball backwards to a teammate, but it happened to be McBurnie, who looked to have decided to make his way into the box, and didn't expect to get the ball on that occasion, so it set up a counter attack for Brighton. Things like that will take a while to get right, and it could be an idea to let Berge and Lundstram share the starts towards the end of the season.

I can see Berge being an effective sub in some games if they are a bit stretched and players are starting to tire. We may see his pace and running on the ball being a lot more effective then. So far when games have opened up a little Berge has also become tired, partly due to running up and down to little avail. I'm confident he'll be a great player for us, but it'll take time.

Theres no doubt that at this moment in time Lunny adds more to the team. The conundrum is we dont pay 22m for a reserve and if we dont play him he will never adjust to the pace of the premiership.

He looks a bit lackadaisical to me and doesnt seem to have the same urgency as Wilder demands from our players but again he wont develop it without playing. The danger is whilst getting him up to speed we may drop points we wouldnt otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom