CONFIRMED Samir Carruthers - Contract terminated by mutual consent

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Remember him being outstanding when he came on for his debut away at Southend - then went off injured within 10 minutes. I seem to recall he played in that game away at Peterborough too, when it finally hit home that we were probably (finally) the real deal.

Wish him all the best. I don't think it as his fault really that he ended up with an £18k per week contract. The club probably need to ensure they're a bit savvier in future, but then again it's always a risk you take when trying to strike that balance between attracting talent and being financially prudent. You win some, you lose some.

Remember him being outstanding when he came on for his debut away at Southend - then went off injured within 10 minutes. I seem to recall he played in that game away at Peterborough too, when it finally hit home that we were probably (finally) the real deal.

Wish him all the best. I don't think it as his fault really that he ended up with an £18k per week contract. The club probably need to ensure they're a bit savvier in future, but then again it's always a risk you take when trying to strike that balance between attracting talent and being financially prudent. You win some, you lose some.
Did he really end up on £18k?

I'm not slagging the lad off unlike some on here.

I thought he was a great signing at the time, ideal cover for Duffy and he showed a lot of promise in his first few appearances when we was in League One, and he did the job that was required of him.

What happened after we got promoted was that there was quite a few players who performed with distinction in the League One when called upon. Wilson, Hanson, Lavery, and Lafferty for whom the step up was too much a bridge to gap. Wilder gave him a few starts early on but it quickly became clear that it was also a step too far for Carruthers and that was why he barely featured and got loaned out after.

When we signed him his contract will have undoubtedly contained promotion bonuses that covered every eventuality. It is clear from the current situation we are in, that in all probability he signed a three and a half year deal, and we also paid a decent fee for the time for him. It will be contract that he signed that has seen his wage go up to the £18k a week that speculation says he is on.

With him leaving the club, he will have had a pay off to leave in search of first team football. It will probably be a compromise figure where he doesn't get the full amount due, but for him to be losing money whilst trying to resurrect his career lower down the leagues, probably says a fair bit about the lad as well.

A few months later we brought in another player from MK Dons, for a similar fee and probably on a similar contract and that didn't turn out too badly did it. Some you win and some you lose.

When it comes to players to slag off, I don't think Carruthers is one, he did his bit when required but wasn't good enough, but I've seen plenty of others come in on big contracts and toss it off and they are the players who deserve criticism and loathing. Players like Jose Baxter, Michael Higdon and Dean Hammond to name three and plenty more fall in to that bracket.

Did he really end up on £18k?
That's what I was told. Apparently doubled from £9k last season as it was in his contract.

My theory is he joined us on about £4.5k per week, as that's all we could afford at the time and was therefore on less than he was on at MK Dons (he'd played in the Championship for them so would have been touching £10k, I'd have thought). However, to sweet talk him into a deal financially, we included a promotion - double your wage clause, never thinking we'd get to the top flight.

Worth remembering he was at Villa (Premier League club then) before MK Dons and despite only being a youth player, will have been on a relatively large amount for someone of that age, so MK Dons won't have signed him on on peanuts either.

The club probably need to ensure they're a bit savvier in future

Our generous bonus system could well be a large part of the reason we ended up promoted. Can't fault the club for rewarding players with performance related bonuses, in fact I commend them for it.

Our generous bonus system could well be a large part of the reason we ended up promoted. Can't fault the club for rewarding players with performance related bonuses, in fact I commend them for it.
Firstly, I never said the club were at fault for rewarding players with performance related bonuses. Secondly, Samir did not play for us at all last season. Finally, I finished my post by saying that you win some you lose some - which you decided to omit from your quote.

Firstly, I never said the club were at fault for rewarding players with performance related bonuses. Secondly, Samir did not play for us at all last season. Finally, I finished my post by saying that you win some you lose some - which you decided to omit from your quote.

You indirectly said the club were at fault by implying the club should be savvier. That was the only part of your post I disagreed with, hence it was the only bit of your post I quoted.

Samir not playing for us last season is irrelevant, also - I'm talking about the whole team. The promotion related bonus scheme likely contributed to last year's success, hence why I'm suggesting the club don't need to change their strategy when it comes to bonuses.

We've seen this week what happens to lower league clubs that spend beyond their means.

Yet people still think KevMcC. showed no ambition in not throwing more money at our club.

Simple rule in life if you don't have money don't spend it.

One of those signings that would have been great if it came off. Seemed lazy and more interested in his hair than becoming a footballer. Obvious talent there but very little concentration.

I thought Carruthers looked like he could be something. He's got ability. Was excellent against Bolton at home (I think it was Bolton). But not to be

Back
Top Bottom