Pre-Season 17/18 Rotherham United v. Sheffield United - 21/07/17

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

On the Brooks point, there was a lad sat next to me last night who said "If Brooks doesn't come on, I should have stayed at home".

Odd.

Lovely backspin by Brooks for the 2nd goal. Hadnt realised it last night!

It's the back spin that catches the Rotherham defender defender out.

Two players over the years who were brilliant at making passes using the back spin technique were

Glen Hoddle at Spurs but the real master of this skill was Tony Currie.
It always used to amaze me how Currie would get the ball on the centre circle and pass the ball to towards the corner flag.
It always looked like Currie had over hit his pass but the ball had so much back spin it would slow right down and hardly roll.

Currie's passes were like how a golfer uses a pitcher and puts back spin on the ball.

gathering.gif
I want chairs like those.

You saw me? At first I thought it was a terrible misunderstanding between the keeper and the defender
Yes, sat a few rows behind and to your left.
Definitely backspin on it, the ball kicked up instead of just running on. That's what did the defender.
If Brooks meant it then he's got summat has that lad.

Yes, sat a few rows behind and to your left.
Definitely backspin on it, the ball kicked up instead of just running on. That's what did the defender.
If Brooks meant it then he's got summat has that lad.
I was supposed to be sat with my lad in a different area but last Thursday his girlfriend decided to go to the match. As soon as all three of us got in the ground, I swapped my ticket with my lad's girlfriend so that she can sit with him. Am sorry I didnt spot you at the match.
Yes, it was a lovely backspin that I had only noticed on youtube. As soon as he lifted the ball up I thought it was an over ambitious chip that was going nowhere. The keeper and the defender probably thought the same too!

Reactions: LSF
I'm sorry but if you can't get excited by a player of Brooks quality after the shite we've been served up in the last six years or so then you might as well take up stamp collecting. He had a huge impact on the game yet again.

I've only seen one mention regarding this but Freeman was absolutely awful yet again, which is a tad worrying considering Baldocks injury.

Eastwood was very good, JOC and Basham played well, Coutts' fitness levels look incredible as does most of his play, Carruthers is gradually getting better and better, Fleck is getting better as he gets fitter, Stevens has to be first choice imo and Billy needs to play with someone other than Clarke imo, who I thought was nearly as bad as Freeman.

Rotherham caused us a few problems which I thought we dealt with pretty well, although it needed two or three great saves from Eastwood to keep us at stalemate.

We need three possibly four players to make our squad competitive for the championship, especially as injuries will take its toll.

Back
Top Bottom