Rose tinted spectacles?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Maidenhead

Reaction score
When I got on the train home today the chap across the aisle from me said "I've been watching United since 1972 and this is the best team I've ever seen"

I said " I've been watching them a few years longer and I completely agree with you"

Are we wearing rose tinted spectacles?

When I got on the train home today the chap across the aisle from me said "I've been watching United since 1972 and this is the best team I've ever seen"

I said " I've been watching them a few years longer and I completely agree with you"

Mebs Kop Lager tinted young man!

No, I agree.

Been watching since 1991. Have to say its the best team I've seen in terms of attacking 3rd play and overall style. Its definitely the most enjoyable to watch. Warnock's 2002-2003 and 2005-2006 team were exciting, but not as much quality as this one from a footballing perspective.

No I dont think it is - I have watched for 55 years and cant remember such exciting flowing high tempo football. What is so good is that we have a team full of players who are all comfortable on the ball and even the subs are as well !! Long may it continue !!

I said the same after the Wolves game. I would say possibly the best 2nd tier side we've had, and technically the best ever side.

Watching since 82. Easily the best United side to watch I've seen, the only one even close was the triple assult season of 2003 but not as good as this side.

Nope.
Best I’ve seen. That second goal....well that wasn’t really ever the type of goal we scored. The movement of those players is head and shoulders over pretty much all other sides I’ve seen. It’s up there with premier league sides, and there are no rose tinted spec s there’s either.

We didn't play as well as this even once under any manager in the 2nd tier, not even in the so-called "triple assault" under that knob. Or the 1st for that matter, at least in the modern era. I'd say it's about right.

I am yet to see any evidence that these rose coloured spectacles exist, ebay & amazon don't have em.

Nope.
Best I’ve seen. That second goal....well that wasn’t really ever the type of goal we scored. The movement of those players is head and shoulders over pretty much all other sides I’ve seen. It’s up there with premier league sides, and there are no rose tinted spec s there’s either.

From the BLUT, the movement to create space for the 2nd goal was awesome.

I was about to post a similar thread. 52 years, I was around when Currie and Woody were doing there stuff but don't really remember it. Sir Keith and the Porterfield era, Dave Bassett, Neil Warnock all great times, but this is the best I've ever known. The manager, the fans, the fantastic football, the squad all as one, incredible :)

I've been watching them probably at least as long, and I could not tell you if they're the best I have ever seen; but they are good, enjoy their football, want to win, seem to follow instructions and that will do for me.

I am loving it after what I know are the worst years I can recall as a United supporter. My Saturday evenings are now not marked by suddenly remembering we lost; my Sunday mornings, on waking, are now finding me up-beat rather than a bit flat. I wish I was still at school, if only for the confidence that on Monday mornings I will not have to run the gauntlet of my Wednesday 'friends' laying it on thick. In those days I wore no kind os specs, so now I have to I'll be fine whatever colour whilever we are playing with such fluency.

As long as it lasts I'll settle for this!

No. I said the very same last week. I've seen better individual players, TC, Woody, Deano, for example, but the key word is TEAM.

It’s all about this. ^^^^

These blokes would (metaphorically) die for each other on a football pitch. And you play without fear knowing your mates have got your back. It’s a joy.

You know things are going well when you're comfortably on top of the game and you can bring a talent like Brooks on from the bench. Certainly seen better individual players but this is certainly the most entertained I've been about a squad collectively.

No, or at least if you are, so am I. No doubt we've had better individual players in my time of watching. But what a team we have now. Its not just about "pashun" though (as much as that helps!), but every single player is decent, at a minimum. Proper football, played by proper footballers...Its chuffin wonderful..Oh yes, and a proper manager..What's not to like.....UTB..:):)

So many times over the last few years, we've played well for half a game, average for a whole game and won, played poorly and won, but never have we played so consistently well all game, every game, as we have done since Chris took over. Each game I think to myself, perhaps this is the game when we have a stinker, I mean every team has an off day, but we are just unrelentlessly good each game. (Just let this come back to bite me next Friday)

Calm down, calm down. We ain't achieved nothing yet. All the teams previously mentioned actually gain promotion, hopefully, we will to. But it's a bit premature to start calling this team the best in the last 40 odd years when we are still in Div2!!

Only if when you got off the train you walked straight in to pigsborough or a carlost bouncing piglet or not as bad a wall of studded nails(o_O), then I would suggest the tint on your spectacles was a little too thick.....
:rolleyes:

Been watching since 1969 and agree this is the best it’s been. Tony Currie and Alan Woodward are true legends but there’s a big difference just now.
The set up from top to bottom is the best it’s ever been by a mile. The potential to improve and have a good run at the top is better than its ever been.
In the past promotions to the top flight have always been short lived. The potential was never there to stay at the top, but it is now.
Chris Wilder is doing the most amazing job ever. For me it feels more real, with more potential than it did with Bassett, Warnock or even John Harris.

Agreed - turned to my 27 year old boy today at half time and said the same - best football I have seen since late 60's & early 70's.

The football in the first half today was just fab - my word this season is "relentless" - as a team, we just don't give up - we never gave Reading a minutes peace in the first half when we didn't have it and played some lovely stuff when we did. :)

FAB-U-LUS :)

UTB

When you think about individual players, would any of the current players get into the all time best United XI? No for me, but as a team they are clearly very good and punching above their weight.

The credit has to go to Wilder, he's definitely on course to be our greatest ever manager. If he gets the backing from the board that he deserves, he could certainly win us an FA or League Cup.

Nope, I concur.

In any way I can think to measure it, they are everything I want a Sheffield United team to be.

I'm enjoying watching them and I'm proud of how they represent my club.

There have been so many false dawn's and kicks in the bollocks over the years I'm having to force myself to block out what my eyes are showing me they're capable of achieving.

Happy days.

Back
Top Bottom