Rodwell

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Chabuddy G

Kurupt FM
Reaction score
Bit weird to see him come on to be honest, but he looked pretty accomplished and not like a fish out of water which I was expecting after his last couple of years, which have not been great.

Be very interesting to see if he features for the rest of the season and if he’s still around next year.

• Banned
I reckon wages depending ( hopefully not too big as he’s minted after fleecing Sunderland) he’s worth keeping for next year . Versatile, good age , obviously has/had ability and is a beast of a bloke ! Surely worth a punt in this climate !
As ever UTB !
I think wait to the end of the season and see where the land lies. If he’s on fuck all he’s decent cover for an injury crisis at the very worst.

Would have been slagging him off if their bloke had scored from Wood’s re-bound, he just let him stroll through without tracking him 😁

I saw nothing today that would indicate that he would be a beneficial full-time member of the squad.

He’s a prick. Get rid.

if you don’t hold this opinion, you don’t have Netflix.
Will Grigg refused to play an active part in that second series because of the way they stitched Rodwell up. Here's a quote when asked about appearing in the second season:

"It does not interest me at all. It is edited how the producers want it to be edited. I tell a lie, as I watched the previous series but after the Jack Rodwell incident (Rodwell was portrayed as being at loggerheads with the club over financial demands), it was not something I wanted to be involved in. Everyone I have ever spoken to says great things about Jack. The way his moment was edited, I felt it wasn’t a fair reflection (of him as a person) so it wasn’t something I was keen to be involved in, let alone watch.”

Worth keeping in mind.

Admittedly I’ve not watched the Netflix documentary, but I think I understand the basics of the situation at Sunderland. There is a moral argument against Rodwell, but ultimately, if you run a business like that, it is tough shit. He’s not the first player, and won’t be the last, to be sat on ridiculous money unwilling to shift out of a club.

On to the OP - I would offer him and Ravel similar deals again. Ravel back out on loan and Rodwell the same potentially.

Will Grigg refused to play an active part in that second series because of the way they stitched Rodwell up. Here's a quote when asked about appearing in the second season:

"It does not interest me at all. It is edited how the producers want it to be edited. I tell a lie, as I watched the previous series but after the Jack Rodwell incident (Rodwell was portrayed as being at loggerheads with the club over financial demands), it was not something I wanted to be involved in. Everyone I have ever spoken to says great things about Jack. The way his moment was edited, I felt it wasn’t a fair reflection (of him as a person) so it wasn’t something I was keen to be involved in, let alone watch.”

Worth keeping in mind.

I have no doubt there was ‘selective editing’ as there always are in these things. It still doesn’t ignore the fact he chose to sit on a handsome wage and not play whilst the club headed to financial ruin. He’s more interestedin money than playing football.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t knock people that do it at all, short career, get what you can. I just don’t really like those types of characters playing for United. Really don’t think any of our current squad could be accused of money over football, which I love! Think it’s the root of our success in truth.

Admittedly I’ve not watched the Netflix documentary, but I think I understand the basics of the situation at Sunderland. There is a moral argument against Rodwell, but ultimately, if you run a business like that, it is tough shit. He’s not the first player, and won’t be the last, to be sat on ridiculous money unwilling to shift out of a club.

On to the OP - I would offer him and Ravel similar deals again. Ravel back out on loan and Rodwell the same potentially.
Ravel Morrison?! The self proclaimed star of the game v non league Fylde?

He’s done nothing at all to suggest he needs a new deal.

my opinion is that Sunderland we’re fucking idiots for not putting relegation clauses in his contract and then expecting him to take a wage cut...
Exactly. He wanted them to pay him what they promised to pay him. They didn’t want to pay him what they promised to pay him. And yet some people weirdly see him as the bad guy in this.

Great to see Rodwell come on, More experience in the team. And he’s obviously worked hard and been patient.

Is that three or four league debuts we’ve given out since kick down begun?

Zivkovic, Rodwell, Robinson are I think... and perhaps Osborn played before lockdown...

the last few months have been a boozy blur so I could be getting mixed up

I have no doubt there was ‘selective editing’ as there always are in these things. It still doesn’t ignore the fact he chose to sit on a handsome wage and not play whilst the club headed to financial ruin. He’s more interestedin money than playing football.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t knock people that do it at all, short career, get what you can. I just don’t really like those types of characters playing for United. Really don’t think any of our current squad could be accused of money over football, which I love! Think it’s the root of our success in truth.

They can selectively edit things to fit a certain narrative.
It's also worth remembering that a contract is a 2 way agreement.
Would you walk away from that kind of money because your employers were incompetent?
I do have some sympathy with Sunderland but they have out these deals. We have also had similar problems in the past with silly contracts given out. Hendrie, Higginbottom, Hammond are just some that spring to mind.

Thankfully CW and our transfer team will be pretty clued up on contracts so hopefully we won't have issues like this in the future.

Worth keeping in mind.

This. A million fucking times. You can just about anything to make it play any way you want.

The Shining...as a romantic comedy, for instance.

Ravel Morrison?! The self proclaimed star of the game v non league Fylde?

He’s done nothing at all to suggest he needs a new deal.
What would you want to see from a player for them to get a new deal ?

I've seen the netflix documentary and have no problem with Rodwell.

Sunderland offered him a 5 year deal on £70,000 per week. That's over £18,000,000.

The contract didn't include a wage reduction in the event of relegation.

At the time Rodwell had a good pedigree and had been in the England squad. Sunderland probably offered this contract to convince him to sign for them over other clubs.

They're then relegated and try to get him to cancel the contract.

All through this Rodwell is seen making himself fit, getting on with the rest of the squad and causing no problems etc.

The new chief exec (who comes across as a likeable guy) has a bit of a strop and slams his door when he heears Rodwell isn't going anywhere.

Any individual willing to right off £18m that they are owed would need their head checking.

I've seen the netflix documentary and have no problem with Rodwell.

Sunderland offered him a 5 year deal on £70,000 per week. That's over £18,000,000.

The contract didn't include a wage reduction in the event of relegation.

At the time Rodwell had a good pedigree and had been in the England squad. Sunderland probably offered this contract to convince him to sign for them over other clubs.

They're then relegated and try to get him to cancel the contract.

All through this Rodwell is seen making himself fit, getting on with the rest of the squad and causing no problems etc.

The new chief exec (who comes across as a likeable guy) has a bit of a strop and slams his door when he heears Rodwell isn't going anywhere.

Any individual willing to right off £18m that they are owed would need their head checking.
That's a good point that is overlooked. Rodwell at the time probably had multiple offers. It wasn't his fault Sunderland no longer wanted to honour it.

I thought Rodwell came out of it a lot better than the David Brent / Alan.b'stard combination that runs them

They obviously tried to shame him into taking a pay cut and he didn't want to

A few appearances wouldn’t go amiss.
Don’t disagree really, just think they could be potentially of value, but a year out on loan would be the caveat and if either (Rodwell less so) are on significant wages that we really need to save to recruit then they would both leave.

I mean we’ve got players on the books out on loan that are highly unlikely to ever play for the 1st team

6 games in less than 3 weeks is a tall order even for the fittest footballers. We have another 5 in the next 3 weeks so I would be surprised if everyone in the squad doesn't get on the field at some point.

What would you want to see from a player for them to get a new deal ?
With all due respect he’s been a worthwhile gamble for me; but why on earth would Ravel Morrison be worth another year?

Back
Top Bottom