Rochdale 3 United 3 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
The saying, ‘an excellent advert for the division’ could certainly be apt when describing the entertaining 3-3 draw at Spotland as table toppers United were pegged back twice. In truth despite never having trailed, United were holding on for a draw towards the end as an excellent Dale side pushed them to the limit.

Manager Wilder had named an unchanged side after two impressive performances at Bramall Lane against fellow promotion chasers. In contrast Keith Hill had to ring the changes due to injuries and suspension but included former Blades Steven Davies, Nathaniel Mendez Laing and Harrison McGahey, who played in an unfamiliar right back slot.

The pitch did not look the best after the recent downpours with sand used in certain areas and other areas lacking much grass despite it being a newly laid surface! Several ground staff were attending to it pre-game and as the game kicked off; it already started to cut up badly. The early stages saw several bobbles as the ball was moved around by United and they started to realise it would be difficult to play their fluent passing football.

Moore caught an early cross and soon after United won a free kick that would lead to the opening goal. Keeper Wilson bizarrely decided to pick up a clear back pass from Lund and the award of an indirect free kick was regulation. From the angle around 12 yards out; Coutts touched it and despite a massed wall, DUFFY’s effort was perfection as he curled it into the far corner giving Wilson no chance.

After some quiet recent games Duffy was clearly in the mood and two superb pieces of skill took him away from his man. He then was caught by a very late tackle leading to Cannon rightly getting booked. Duffy had to receive treatment off the pitch. From the free kick from Fleck the ball was not cleared properly and it fell to LAFFERTY who was over 30 yards out. It seemed a long shot (literally) for him to score but he caught it beautifully and it flew into the top corner. He ran to celebrate with the 3,000+ Blades fans who were in dreamland after only 11 minutes.

Despite the two goals Rochdale kept at it and were knocking it about well and getting down the flanks with Mendez Laing in particular causing problems. They won a corner that led to McGahey heading over when he ought to have done better. Soon after another break down the right saw Lund get space and his cross was perfect for DAVIES to breast into the net. It was poor defending that they failed to stop the cross and then did not mark in the centre.

Hanson and Sharp had struggled so far with the former having to resort to fouling on a number of occasions. Despite United leading Dale had impressed and were breaking with pace when they cleared the ball and were causing problems with former Blades Mendez Laing and McGahey linking really well down the United left hand side of defence. Similarly, United were getting joy down the Rochdale left with Freeman and Duffy continuing to combine. Duffy and Sharp linked from one such opportunity that led to Freeman getting away but his cross was blocked before Coutts had an effort saved. Rochdale came again with Allen linking well with Henderson but the ball was cleared.

Lafferty had another effort blocked after more good work from Duffy down the flank before the half time whistle came to end an action packed first half.

United made a change with Carruthers replacing O’Connell and seemed to be playing just in front of Lafferty with United switching to flat back four at this stage. However, they were pegged back further and the game was level with the first meaningful attack of the second half. It was Mendez Laing again who had given Lafferty a really difficult game defensively and he used his pace and power to get away from him and sent over a dangerous cross. Moore’s touch away did not totally clear the danger and seemed to push it onto the angle of bar and post. It was returned from Cannon and LUND nipped in unmarked to smash the ball home. After this Rochdale had a further good spell and now could sense they could be the team who could go and win it. United opted to change things again and Ebanks Landell replaced the disappointing Hanson and the Blades went back to a 5-3-2 with Duffy playing the closes to Sharp.

After this United seemed to regain some control and had a good spell with Basham influential now pushed up into central midfield. Carruthers had a decent run and then Fleck and Lafferty combined. The Blades won two corners in quick succession and from the second the ball was not cleared properly and Basham nipped in. After his alert interception he drove at his man and got in the box and sent over an inviting cross that Ebanks Landell nearly got on the end of but the ball was not cleared and SHARP smashed it across the keeper and in despite the attempts of the defender on the line. Cue more wild celebrations from the away following with Basham leading the celebrations after his inspirational assist.

United then had a good spell and Ebanks Landell almost turned in a Coutts cross and then Carruthers was crowded out. Despite the lead you never felt totally comfortable and another goal from wide came for the home side. This time it was down the left side as Freeman did not get close enough to his man, Noble Lazarus the sub got down the wing and pulled over an inviting cross that Wright and Basham both failed to cut out. MENDEZ LAING came onto it and after dummying the shot, steadied himself and drilled home. It was a well taken goal but another poor one from a defensive point of view.

After this Rochdale came again and nearly scored with a Noble Lazarus cross headed down by Henderson but Moore made a stunning save somehow getting down to scoop the ball out. It became very much end to end now although the home side were having more of the ball and they nearly got in after a Wright foul but Ebanks Landell made a superb tackle after the advantage. At the other end Lafferty had a shot after a short free kick that the keeper nearly made a mess of. Three minutes of stoppage time were played but no further chances resulted to end the game with a fair result on reflection.

United – Odd one as if I had not gone I would have been gutted citing the give-away of a 2-0 and then a 3-2 but being there I felt different. I was really content with a draw at the end. It was annoying to throw those leads away but we never felt totally comfortable all game (even at 2-0). If anyone was going to win it was going to be them and Moore made a superb save to protect a point. Rochdale were more than decent and deserve credit but for United they let their standards drop in many areas.

It was nowhere near the level of recent performances. I felt quite a few players did not have the energy nor were they quite at it in terms of touch and passing. Duffy and Basham were two that did play well. I felt the defence was ragged at times and that the two full backs defensive weaknesses were badly exposed. They constantly broke on us and got down the flanks, particularly our left and sent cross after cross over. When these came in the marking was not that great either and I felt whatever combination we had at the back we never looked secure. In midfield Coutts was ok but Fleck had his poorest game for some time. Sharp and Hanson were really poor up top and other than the Sharp goal I cannot remember much they did right. Hanson had a shocker and was rightly subbed.

The pitch was awful so not sure why we kept trying to pass it as we kept trying to play it back and little tippy tappy stuff did not always work on a bit of a quagmire. I do not like going direct but we had to do more of that today. We did play some nice stuff when in their last third which was fine but doing it in our third was dangerous. The passing was up and down and I felt we did not press and harry as much as we have. They had too much time on the ball and there were huge gaps down the flanks. Rochdale like some other teams who have done well realised when we press or get men up; they can turn it over and break on us quickly. They actually had more chances than us today and looked more dangerous when they did attack.

We scored two great goals but they were back in quite quickly and then after that they looked like they may score again and so it proved. We started poorly after the break and the change of formation did not work. I was concerned they would go on and win at that point but United came again and had another spell of control culminating in a goal after super work from Basham. You sensed we may get another and continued to have control but then another daft give away (Duffy originally) saw them break again and score as we failed yet again to stop delivery from wide or mark in the middle. They then had the impetus again and looked the more likely winners. So it was a good point and especially considering the results elsewhere.

Wilder was very honest over the result and performance and cited everything I saw in terms of failure to stop the cross and not pressing or stopping the ball enough. He said he had to change the formation two or three times and other than a 15 minute spell second half we never had any semblance of control. Even at 2-0 it was not like we were destroying them. He also discussed them playing the pitch better than us which was right.

I think some players did look tired near the end and the heavy pitch did not help. I think a few may get rested/rotated for Tuesday and we may have picked up a few knocks (O’Connell, Hanson and Duffy?). We need to go again. It was pleasing that despite the disappointment of not winning we were always trying to win the three points and kept trying to get forward. It is another game gone and another where the point gap to third remains sizeable. Fleetwood and Millwall are on fire but both may be due a wobble you would hope. Bradford have started to come again whilst Scunny and Bolton continue to struggle in recent times. Would not surprise me if Scunny kept dropping.

Rochdale – Fair play to them. They had a real go and broke with pace and got some super crosses in. They finished well and were really forward thinking. They exposed our weaknesses both individually and collectively, being able to get into space and get the ball down wide. I felt they were very good and since Fleetwood the best side I have seen play us. They went 2-0 down but had been ok even at that stage and you felt they may get back in it. At 2-2 I feared they would go on and win and then even after we had a decent spell, when it went 3-3 I worried they would nick it. They had some decent players too in Allen, Mendez Laing to name a few but they were a really committed side who knocked it about well too. On that showing, especially considering they were missing a few, surprised they are not higher up the league. They looked far better than Scunny and Bolton for instance. I suppose they were not great at the back and you can see why they have let a lot of goals in but do go forward and I think on that evidence they will have some more high scoring games to end the season.

Opponent man of the match : They had several impressive performers. All three of the former Blades played well and much better than they ever had done for us! Davies was a handful and McGahey (put some timber on!) played well and was steady (also got forward well) in an odd right back position. The lad Allen in midfield was excellent showing some neat touches and I felt the big lad Keane had Hanson in his pocket. However, Mendez Laing was a constant threat assisting and scoring. He looked fast and strong and seems to have lost some weight since he was at the Lane. Gave United’s defence a torrid time with his strong running. He was probably the outstanding player on the pitch.

Opponent Weak link : I felt the keeper looked poor all game and very jittery but the lad at left back (not sure who it was – Rafferty?) was really poor and Duffy gave him all sorts of problems.

SUFC Player Ratings –

Moore 7/10 – Had little chance on the first as he was badly exposed. Maybe could have done a bit better on the 2nd as he did not totally get the cross. After this had no chance on the third and then made a stunning Banks-esque save to keep out a header down low. It really was a brilliant save and not sure how he got it. His handling was ok in general play. Kicking a bit mixed.

Freeman 6/10 – Attacking wise good as he got down the right flank particularly in the first half. He linked well with Duffy and showed nice feet. He had been guilty of ball watching and lapses I concentration defensively though and this continued as they got in several times to put crosses over and he was not close enough to hi man. He showed if wingers get at him or get forward, pinning him back he is nowhere near as effective.

Lafferty 5/10 – He scored a worldy. An utterly fantastic strike that I was amazed when it went in as he has never done anything like that before – his shooting has been dire! It was a superb trike and even Rochdale fans were applauding it. He gets an extra mark just for that alone! Outside of this though he was really poor and got beat time after time. Weak in the challenge and got done for pace and strength. He was at fault for the second and also did not press enough on a number of other occasions. He showed that defensively if teams get at him he is not really a defender.

Wright 6/10 – His poorest game for United I felt in the sense that he was guilty of ball watching quite a bit. He was ok when he had the ball and kept it simple but too many times crosses came over and he and other defenders did not mark or get to the ball first. Also, guilty of letting it bounce too many times. He was not awful but just not at standard he has been. The third goal he failed to stop the ball twice in the lead up to the finish.

O’Connell 5.5/10- Played down the left of the defence but had to go across to help Lafferty due to threats of Mendez Laing. He was not able to really help and he too was beaten quite a few times. I was surprised he was taken off but then as he played down the left of the defence Wilder felt this was an are we struggled. He may have been better taking off Lafferty and putting him left back on reflection.

Basham 7.5/10 – Our best player for long spells. Second half he was the stand out United player. He was much better in midfield as he got on the ball, drove at players and showed incredible energy. The third goal was all about his never say the die attitude as he stole the ball and drove the defence and put a great cross in. Saying that he was poor on both the second and third as he failed to cut out two crosses. Thought on the third he (and Wright) committed themselves to the shot and the dummy was played too easily. He also could have cut out the original cross. Love his commitment to the cause and promotion would mean so much to him you can tell.

Fleck 5/10 – His poorest game for a long time; maybe since the start of the season when he was so-s0. He never really got on the ball and also seemed to not show the tenacity and covering he has. I felt the lad Allen out performed him in the middle. These things happen. Maybe Wilder might give him a rest. He looked very tired second half and his passing was poor often overplaying it. We did not have the same control we have had in other games in midfield. Credit to Rochdale. We had to put Bash in midfield to compensate for this.

Coutts 6.5/10 – Thought he was ok in spells and showed some neat touches and passes. Also, covered well defensively and was able to get back and help out. However, the game had spells where he did not get involved and felt we were chasing the ball a lot and sat off too much. They had lots of time on the ball. On the second goal, he did not pick up his man when the cross came in and he scored. The pitch did not help a player like him who likes to get it and play it off but kept sticking or bouncing up.

Duffy 8/10 – Thought he was superb for the first half and ran the game for us. He got on the ball, beat man, played in others and drove at the defence. He was superb. Scored a brilliant first goal from the free kick which was superb skill and then was able to link with others to get us in a few other times. His run led to the free kick to the second goal. He got a nasty kick on this and ended up having a bit of an argument with the Rochdale fans after this! Luckily, he could carry on. Maybe did not hit heights second half and went off but I felt anything good today came from him for the first hour or so with Basham excellent second half.

Hanson 3.5/10 – His poorest game for United by some distance. I am struggling to think of anything he did right. He did not win a header, he constantly fouled and looked woefully off the pace. Looked a bit of a carthorse on that performance but of course other games he has not and showed great link up/touch. Surprised me the lad Keane who looked more like a rugby player (not as tall as Hanson though) won most of the headers and physically imposed himself on him. Him and Sharp were too far apart and felt we had little up top today. Took a knock and Wilder subbed him fearing he may make it worse if he stayed on.

Sharp 5/10 – Gets an extra mark for his goal in an otherwise poor performance. Like Hanson not much stuck with him all game. He tried hard and worked off others first half linking well a few times down our right-hand side but not sure he was great in much else. Seemed slow off the ball and got caught offside a few times. Despite him not offering much he took his goal superbly as again was not easiest to finish. Surprised he stayed on but you know he may get a goal as he proved and that may have been the same in the closing stages.

Subs

Carruthers 5/10 – After last week’s cameo where he was very impressive, he did not really do much today. Ran around a lot but looked quite slow I felt and his runs with the ball led him down blind alleys. His final ball rarely put us in and I felt he lost out physically a few times. Did not do enough to convince today he should be starting but despite this feel he may start Tuesday as Coutts/Fleck may get a rest.

Ebanks Landell – Came on to give us some more height as Davies was causing problems in the air. He gave it away twice early but after this was fine and made one superb tackle near the end. He did alright and was better than some of the other centre backs today. Got in the box and was involved in the goal and nearly got another soon after. I worried he may struggle on that pitch being a big lad but was ok on the ball.

Lavery – Came on right at the end but did not do much as Rochdale were pressing at this stage and he was just chasing the ball when it came forward.

Manager – Wilder 6.5/10 – Picked the same team which you felt would happen despite Carruthers performance last week but early on despite the lead we had issues down our left-hand side of our defence. He seemed unable to stem the tide but they were getting too much space all over the field. This never really stopped despite him changing it at half time. He opted to go for a flat back four and Carruthers to protect the left hand side but things got worse! He changed it again and Basham went in midfield and we did improve for a spell. It was hard as we never really had the midfield battle and I felt that we tried to do too much and put ourselves into trouble. He gave a very honest account which is really refreshing, especially after listening to the two deluded managers who played us the last few weeks.

Ref – Seb Stockbridge. Really poor I felt. Both ways. He rightly booked Wright (after the foul he played advantage) and also Cannon (bad tackle on Duffy – a Rochdale fan felt it should have been red) and also two regulation ones for a pull down by Coutts and a block off from Lund. Outside of this he was just hard to call. He gave a few fouls to them where our player got fouled (Carruthers and then Freeman) and seemed to not quite know the rules in terms of who should get the foul when they were goal or ball side of things. The fact Rochdale players booed him off summed it up. Really struggled with the advantage rule and seemed miles behind the play. He did get the back pass right as it was stupid from their lad and the keeper really. I felt there was a two-footer on Wright where their player jumped in and then Basham also went in dangerously. The linesman on our side was hopeless. Never up with play and no idea what was going on.

Crowd/Day out – 6,214 and half of these were Blades fans. United fans made a good noise as they always do away. There was a good variety of songs. We were sat quite near to Bianca Westwood who was reporting live for Sky Sports – amusing they had to keep moving her due to the United fans being ‘a bit lively’ in her words. She seemed a decent sport. It was my first visit to Spotland – seems to have evaded me being often a night match in recent years. Liked the ground, proper traditional football ground with flood lights to boot – although seemed quite dark second half so they were not the best at their intended job but aesthetics of having floodlights as you approach the ground make up for it! They have a stand behind the goal with seats and then the main stand which is smaller than the one we were in – but had a row of boxes at the back. Our stand seemed the biggest and indeed half the crowd were in this although the other 3 Rochdale stands were not full. The other end was a standing section but again a very small stand. The pitch was awful as already discussed – not sure why they would relay at his stage of the season. They were a decent footballing side too so will hurt them as by the end of the season could be a right mess. It was horrible by the end and more bad weather and it will be awful to play on.

The only negative about United fans are the usual things sadly. At half time, could barely even get to the toilet due to the fans blocking most of the concourse, throwing around beer, jumping on girders and crowd surfing. Very odd behaviour. Why people want to film that I am not sure? Maybe I am getting old and that is what you do for fun as young un! Also, a number of fire crackers/flares went off; one quite near us. I know the effects of those been discussed before but saw a few young lads coughing and spluttering and one did not seem too well after one had ‘gone off’. Also, when we scored why do they feel the need to run on the pitch. Every goal this seemed to happen. Why risk getting arrested or face a banning order. Many were just herded back into the stand but some were taken away. At the least you miss the rest of the game and most face a ban or fine etc. It seems ridiculous to want to do that and risk these things! Again, maybe I am a bit boring now. I love a sing and nothing wrong with some boisterous stuff but some of above is just embarrassing for me.

Enjoyed the walk up to the ground. Proper area around a football ground with mills, factories and then houses. Set up a hill and was a fair walk from the centre but did not mind the walk. We got into Rochdale around 1ish and went to two mixed pubs. One the Reed was abysmal and then the other the Baum Arms was a delightful pub that CAMRA lovers would enjoy. This gem was out of character with the areas of Rochdale we saw that were less than salubrious. Although the Town Hall and the area around that was quite pretty. I did not have much beer this time as had stayed over in Manchester the night before meeting up with friends and going to the delightful Smiths Disco (at the Star and Garter near Piccadilly) – any fans of the group this is a must go to night. So, had consumed rather a lot the previous day and that coupled with a huge English breakfast at the hotel meant lots more alcohol would have been a bad idea. Indeed, after the game and back in Manchester the aforementioned excesses saw me take in a tour of various establishments conveniences. Suffice to say gut ache is an understatement as it was a case of Deadbat’s defecations. There was more movement down there than our front two offered. Incidentally, Debenhams took the prize (8/10) over Frankie and Benny’s (6/10) and Wetherspoons (3/10). On that delightful note I will leave it.

Thanks DB. The day out section is slowly morphing into tales ala Greenwich Blade.

Many thanks, as always.

The only negative about United fans are the usual things sadly. At half time, could barely even get to the toilet due to the fans blocking most of the concourse, throwing around beer, jumping on girders and crowd surfing. Very odd behaviour. Why people want to film that I am not sure? Maybe I am getting old and that is what you do for fun as young un! Also, a number of fire crackers/flares went off; one quite near us. I know the effects of those been discussed before but saw a few young lads coughing and spluttering and one did not seem too well after one had ‘gone off’. Also, when we scored why do they feel the need to run on the pitch. Every goal this seemed to happen. Why risk getting arrested or face a banning order. Many were just herded back into the stand but some were taken away. At the least you miss the rest of the game and most face a ban or fine etc. It seems ridiculous to want to do that and risk these things! Again, maybe I am a bit boring now. I love a sing and nothing wrong with some boisterous stuff but some of above is just embarrassing for me.

Yep. As widely discussed elsewhere, every other week at the moment it seems, for at least a couple of years now. Important to keep flagging this in the closest thing we have to an "official" weekly match report, I think, so as to keep on publicly disassociating the 99% from the fuckwits. Not least because it's only likely to get worse if/when we go up. Stick at it, Deadbat. We must not surrender the club to cunts ...

Suffice to say gut ache is an understatement as it was a case of Deadbat’s defecations. There was more movement down there than our front two offered

Not sure about this bit, though :eek:

Last edited:
Very harsh on Hanson and kind to Sharp ,Hanson worked much harder than Sharp ,and to say he didn't win a header is just wrong ,Sharps anticipation and positioning around Hanson was poor. Also thought Hanson had no protection rom the officials as he was getting pulled all over. Saying that Billy got a good goal so cant be to hard on him. I felt we were just huff and puff ,the surface and size of the pitch didn't suit our game and this marked Coutts and Fleck out of the game as much as Rochdale did. Only duffy and Basham got to grips with the game ,and Wilder had a poor game with choices I feel. Saying that a 3-3 draw away from home was great fun and a good point in the end. Getting in and out of Rochdale was a bummer ,why cant they cope with 6000 ,if there was 6000 at the Lane you could park outside the Cricketers and get out in minutes.

I did not see Hanson win much at all I have to say and against a smaller player. He was constantly grabbing the opponents shirt and was lucky not to be booked (committed 7 or 8 fouls including two late ones the ref did not give). He got fouled a few times also but should have concentrated on the ball rather than grappling. Reminded me of Clarke earlier in season.

Sharp was poor but he put the ball in the net again and was involved in some decent link up a few times. I cannot recall the ball sticking with Hanson all game. He looked very slow and cumbesome today and I think he has been an excellent signing. As you say they were too far apart. Hopefully just one of those days.

With regards the pitch; it was awful but Rochdale were not just lumping it. They played some short stuff but managed to keep it better and found spaces . They passed it around much better than us, got it wide and got good crosses in. If we had delivery like that all season we would be 20 points clear. Some of the crossing was excellent - driven and right on the penalty spot.

Coutts and Fleck were not helped but their touch and passing was not at level it has been.

Listened to the radio Sheff commentary and hardly realised Fleck was playing.

The saying, ‘an excellent advert for the division’ could certainly be apt when describing the entertaining 3-3 draw at Spotland as table toppers United were pegged back twice. In truth despite never having trailed, United were holding on for a draw towards the end as an excellent Dale side pushed them to the limit.

Manager Wilder had named an unchanged side after two impressive performances at Bramall Lane against fellow promotion chasers. In contrast Keith Hill had to ring the changes due to injuries and suspension but included former Blades Steven Davies, Nathaniel Mendez Laing and Harrison McGahey, who played in an unfamiliar right back slot.

The pitch did not look the best after the recent downpours with sand used in certain areas and other areas lacking much grass despite it being a newly laid surface! Several ground staff were attending to it pre-game and as the game kicked off; it already started to cut up badly. The early stages saw several bobbles as the ball was moved around by United and they started to realise it would be difficult to play their fluent passing football.

Moore caught an early cross and soon after United won a free kick that would lead to the opening goal. Keeper Wilson bizarrely decided to pick up a clear back pass from Lund and the award of an indirect free kick was regulation. From the angle around 12 yards out; Coutts touched it and despite a massed wall, DUFFY’s effort was perfection as he curled it into the far corner giving Wilson no chance.

After some quiet recent games Duffy was clearly in the mood and two superb pieces of skill took him away from his man. He then was caught by a very late tackle leading to Cannon rightly getting booked. Duffy had to receive treatment off the pitch. From the free kick from Fleck the ball was not cleared properly and it fell to LAFFERTY who was over 30 yards out. It seemed a long shot (literally) for him to score but he caught it beautifully and it flew into the top corner. He ran to celebrate with the 3,000+ Blades fans who were in dreamland after only 11 minutes.

Despite the two goals Rochdale kept at it and were knocking it about well and getting down the flanks with Mendez Laing in particular causing problems. They won a corner that led to McGahey heading over when he ought to have done better. Soon after another break down the right saw Lund get space and his cross was perfect for DAVIES to breast into the net. It was poor defending that they failed to stop the cross and then did not mark in the centre.

Hanson and Sharp had struggled so far with the former having to resort to fouling on a number of occasions. Despite United leading Dale had impressed and were breaking with pace when they cleared the ball and were causing problems with former Blades Mendez Laing and McGahey linking really well down the United left hand side of defence. Similarly, United were getting joy down the Rochdale left with Freeman and Duffy continuing to combine. Duffy and Sharp linked from one such opportunity that led to Freeman getting away but his cross was blocked before Coutts had an effort saved. Rochdale came again with Allen linking well with Henderson but the ball was cleared.

Lafferty had another effort blocked after more good work from Duffy down the flank before the half time whistle came to end an action packed first half.

United made a change with Carruthers replacing O’Connell and seemed to be playing just in front of Lafferty with United switching to flat back four at this stage. However, they were pegged back further and the game was level with the first meaningful attack of the second half. It was Mendez Laing again who had given Lafferty a really difficult game defensively and he used his pace and power to get away from him and sent over a dangerous cross. Moore’s touch away did not totally clear the danger and seemed to push it onto the angle of bar and post. It was returned from Cannon and LUND nipped in unmarked to smash the ball home. After this Rochdale had a further good spell and now could sense they could be the team who could go and win it. United opted to change things again and Ebanks Landell replaced the disappointing Hanson and the Blades went back to a 5-3-2 with Duffy playing the closes to Sharp.

After this United seemed to regain some control and had a good spell with Basham influential now pushed up into central midfield. Carruthers had a decent run and then Fleck and Lafferty combined. The Blades won two corners in quick succession and from the second the ball was not cleared properly and Basham nipped in. After his alert interception he drove at his man and got in the box and sent over an inviting cross that Ebanks Landell nearly got on the end of but the ball was not cleared and SHARP smashed it across the keeper and in despite the attempts of the defender on the line. Cue more wild celebrations from the away following with Basham leading the celebrations after his inspirational assist.

United then had a good spell and Ebanks Landell almost turned in a Coutts cross and then Carruthers was crowded out. Despite the lead you never felt totally comfortable and another goal from wide came for the home side. This time it was down the left side as Freeman did not get close enough to his man, Noble Lazarus the sub got down the wing and pulled over an inviting cross that Wright and Basham both failed to cut out. MENDEZ LAING came onto it and after dummying the shot, steadied himself and drilled home. It was a well taken goal but another poor one from a defensive point of view.

After this Rochdale came again and nearly scored with a Noble Lazarus cross headed down by Henderson but Moore made a stunning save somehow getting down to scoop the ball out. It became very much end to end now although the home side were having more of the ball and they nearly got in after a Wright foul but Ebanks Landell made a superb tackle after the advantage. At the other end Lafferty had a shot after a short free kick that the keeper nearly made a mess of. Three minutes of stoppage time were played but no further chances resulted to end the game with a fair result on reflection.

United – Odd one as if I had not gone I would have been gutted citing the give-away of a 2-0 and then a 3-2 but being there I felt different. I was really content with a draw at the end. It was annoying to throw those leads away but we never felt totally comfortable all game (even at 2-0). If anyone was going to win it was going to be them and Moore made a superb save to protect a point. Rochdale were more than decent and deserve credit but for United they let their standards drop in many areas.

It was nowhere near the level of recent performances. I felt quite a few players did not have the energy nor were they quite at it in terms of touch and passing. Duffy and Basham were two that did play well. I felt the defence was ragged at times and that the two full backs defensive weaknesses were badly exposed. They constantly broke on us and got down the flanks, particularly our left and sent cross after cross over. When these came in the marking was not that great either and I felt whatever combination we had at the back we never looked secure. In midfield Coutts was ok but Fleck had his poorest game for some time. Sharp and Hanson were really poor up top and other than the Sharp goal I cannot remember much they did right. Hanson had a shocker and was rightly subbed.

The pitch was awful so not sure why we kept trying to pass it as we kept trying to play it back and little tippy tappy stuff did not always work on a bit of a quagmire. I do not like going direct but we had to do more of that today. We did play some nice stuff when in their last third which was fine but doing it in our third was dangerous. The passing was up and down and I felt we did not press and harry as much as we have. They had too much time on the ball and there were huge gaps down the flanks. Rochdale like some other teams who have done well realised when we press or get men up; they can turn it over and break on us quickly. They actually had more chances than us today and looked more dangerous when they did attack.

We scored two great goals but they were back in quite quickly and then after that they looked like they may score again and so it proved. We started poorly after the break and the change of formation did not work. I was concerned they would go on and win at that point but United came again and had another spell of control culminating in a goal after super work from Basham. You sensed we may get another and continued to have control but then another daft give away (Duffy originally) saw them break again and score as we failed yet again to stop delivery from wide or mark in the middle. They then had the impetus again and looked the more likely winners. So it was a good point and especially considering the results elsewhere.

Wilder was very honest over the result and performance and cited everything I saw in terms of failure to stop the cross and not pressing or stopping the ball enough. He said he had to change the formation two or three times and other than a 15 minute spell second half we never had any semblance of control. Even at 2-0 it was not like we were destroying them. He also discussed them playing the pitch better than us which was right.

I think some players did look tired near the end and the heavy pitch did not help. I think a few may get rested/rotated for Tuesday and we may have picked up a few knocks (O’Connell, Hanson and Duffy?). We need to go again. It was pleasing that despite the disappointment of not winning we were always trying to win the three points and kept trying to get forward. It is another game gone and another where the point gap to third remains sizeable. Fleetwood and Millwall are on fire but both may be due a wobble you would hope. Bradford have started to come again whilst Scunny and Bolton continue to struggle in recent times. Would not surprise me if Scunny kept dropping.

Rochdale – Fair play to them. They had a real go and broke with pace and got some super crosses in. They finished well and were really forward thinking. They exposed our weaknesses both individually and collectively, being able to get into space and get the ball down wide. I felt they were very good and since Fleetwood the best side I have seen play us. They went 2-0 down but had been ok even at that stage and you felt they may get back in it. At 2-2 I feared they would go on and win and then even after we had a decent spell, when it went 3-3 I worried they would nick it. They had some decent players too in Allen, Mendez Laing to name a few but they were a really committed side who knocked it about well too. On that showing, especially considering they were missing a few, surprised they are not higher up the league. They looked far better than Scunny and Bolton for instance. I suppose they were not great at the back and you can see why they have let a lot of goals in but do go forward and I think on that evidence they will have some more high scoring games to end the season.

Opponent man of the match : They had several impressive performers. All three of the former Blades played well and much better than they ever had done for us! Davies was a handful and McGahey (put some timber on!) played well and was steady (also got forward well) in an odd right back position. The lad Allen in midfield was excellent showing some neat touches and I felt the big lad Keane had Hanson in his pocket. However, Mendez Laing was a constant threat assisting and scoring. He looked fast and strong and seems to have lost some weight since he was at the Lane. Gave United’s defence a torrid time with his strong running. He was probably the outstanding player on the pitch.

Opponent Weak link : I felt the keeper looked poor all game and very jittery but the lad at left back (not sure who it was – Rafferty?) was really poor and Duffy gave him all sorts of problems.[/QUOTE?

"...going to the delightful Smiths Disco (at the Star and Garter near Piccadilly) – any fans of the group this is a must go to night."

Sounds interesting. Is it all Smiths and Morrissey songs all night? Or a bit of a mixture with other similar music?*
Is it records or live tribute bands?

(*I wouldn't mind all Smiths all night but would struggle to persuade my mates to go if that's the case)

http://www.starandgarter.co.uk/Default.aspx

Back
Top Bottom