RIP Jim Smith

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Seems he really did struggle to make it as a player at the Lane. I had no memory of him as a player, even though I went to reserve and youth team matches (I was a sort of young Ball_Sup (Phil) without the beer). I had a look at the promotion match programme v Derby (April 1961), and at that point he had played 31 games for the A-team (3rd XI) and just one reserve game. He was behind Summers and Orr for left-half, and Richardson and Hoyland for right-half, which was strong competition, and moved on at the end of the season. But he must have been a football man through-and-through, and had a good career over many years in different roles. RIP

Seems he really did struggle to make it as a player at the Lane. I had no memory of him as a player, even though I went to reserve and youth team matches (I was a sort of young Ball_Sup (Phil) without the beer). I had a look at the promotion match programme v Derby (April 1961), and at that point he had played 31 games for the A-team (3rd XI) and just one reserve game. He was behind Summers and Orr for left-half, and Richardson and Hoyland for right-half, which was strong competition, and moved on at the end of the season. But he must have been a football man through-and-through, and had a good career over many years in different roles. RIP
Do you remember a player called Peter Thomas? He told me he played for our A team a few times in the early 1960s but I couldnt find any evidence that backed Peter's claim.

Do you remember a player called Peter Thomas? He told me he played for our A team a few times in the early 1960s but I couldnt find any evidence that backed Peter's claim.
Don't recall the name. I'll have a look in some of the old programmes, though I'm not sure how long they continued listing players for all 3 teams, or indeed when the A-team was disbanded. I watched the reserves quite often, and went to see the Juniors a few times, but I'm sure I never even saw the A-team. I can't even remember where they played their games.

I seem to vaguely remember his name being suggested as a possible candidate, probably mid 80's, when we were going through a bad patch, but I don't know if there was ever anything in it. It was probably based on his success with Oxford United and the fact he was a Sheffielder. (Used to be on United's books as a player).

I thought everyone knew he was a Sheffielder? He even had the archetypal "Sheffield face" to me. One that reflects years of hard work and a touch of cynicism - a sort of "tha what?" look about it...

View attachment 66299

I thought the guy was a good manager and having read a few reports over the past 24 hours since his passing, it seems like he was one hell of a decent human being too. RIP.

Fully agree about his Sheffielder face. Brian Glover also had it.

The A-team appearances are not included in programmes from the 1961-62 season onwards, though I don't know whether the team had been disbanded by then. I didn't find any reference to a Peter Thomas in preceding seasons.

Fully agree about his Sheffielder face. Brian Glover also had it.
That's the one mate! True innit? I'm from Derbyshire me, so I haven't got a typical Sheffield face. Some folk say I look a bit like a sheep!:oops:

Where did he play as an amateur because he was mates with my father in law but there was about four school years between them?

Where did he play as an amateur because he was mates with my father in law but there was about four school years between them?
I take it you mean what position he played, and to be honest, I have no idea. I always assumed he was a wing-half, but I don't know now why I thought that (he looked a bit like Jim Iley?). He doesn't seem to appear on photos; for example, the standard 1960-61 squad photo, which has 30 players on it, does not include him. The Wikipedia page does not give his position either, in the section on his career.

I take it you mean what position he played, and to be honest, I have no idea. I always assumed he was a wing-half, but I don't know now why I thought that (he looked a bit like Jim Iley?). He doesn't seem to appear on photos; for example, the standard 1960-61 squad photo, which has 30 players on it, does not include him. The Wikipedia page does not give his position either, in the section on his career.

I meant club, father in law was ex Stannington and Ecclesfield Grammar but he'd finished at the Lane through injury about 1/2 years before Jim was on the books.

Which part? My mum lived there from 1932 to 1961 (Hartley Brook Road). Her youngest brother still lives in the same house. I know the area quite well as I visited my grandmother at least once a week.
Not 100% but I think someone once told me it was on Bellhouse Road.

Back
Top Bottom