Respect Ipswich

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reading some of the posts this morning I thought I’d overslept, missed the Ipswich game and were already up. My first home game was against bottom of the table chesterfield and we lost 3-1. A few years ago wolves were 6 points clear with two to play in second and didn’t go up, think it was wba. I’m not being negative but there are many cautionary tales in football and sport. As the original poster implied let’s be careful here.
My thoughts too. I think some people are getting ahead of themselves. I have believed we would do it for a long time now, more than most on here I think, though I like to keep such unBladesmanlike opinions to myself, but if anything I'm more nervous now than before.
What happened to "there are no easy games in the Championship"? Leeds lost to Wigan and we drew with Millwall, so the idea that we can just brush Ipswich aside without breaking a sweat is foolish. I hope the the players genuinely understand that and don't just give it lip service.
Plus I can see Leeds go on to beat Villa now, they have had a kick up the backside like we've had a couple of times, we responded well and I expect they will too. They know what they have to do.
Not only can we do it, it would be a shock if we didn't, but those shocks do happen in football (quite often) so I really hope we go into this game as if Leeds are three points ahead rather than three behind.

We can't fuck this up now surely, can we ?

Jesus. Please stop saying this. Just stop.

It's a series of words which is forever rolling over in my melon. We effectively have to win one of two matches, the first one, ostensibly against a flattened, relegated and essentially shit side whose fans are enthusiastically singing 'We're so shit it's unbelievable!' and who we have, in the way distant past, recorded a 7-0 win against at BDTBL and should do the same even with seven men and one against a trickier side which the outcome could easily be a 0-0 park the bus/defend at all costs routine. Our rivals have a game against a side hitting real form with a team full of pretty decent players whilst their own squad are melting down badly. This is how it should go:

Sheffield United 5-1 Ipswich Town

Leeds United 1-3 Aston Villa

Stoke City 0-0 Sheffield United

Ipswich Town 0-2 Leeds United

We can't fuck this up now surely, can we?

pommpey

Reactions: Dkc
This team at Championship and League One level have been unplayable and unstoppable when they've played their own game and "been us". When they've not let their own doubts and confidence cloud a mere handful of performances they've been truly remarkable.

If we go up (I'll still say if) I hope we turn up at Liverpool and Man City with overlapping centre backs because I don't think we can play any other way.
We might get a few tonkings along the way from some of the top half teams, but I still feel that we can improve enough to compete with any of the bottom half.

Agreed - we need to keep the general formation and tweak it a bit. Better players in certain positions, but one tweak i'd like is 3421 formation. It works very well when we get it right - like yesterday at Hull. Duffy and McG having license to move around and find space. It allows us to find space. The key for CW and his team now is to find better players to fit the system.

It may also come that you may want to consider changing your username ;)

UTB

Agree with OP.
I recall being at Fratton park late April 2013, Pompey had just been relegated and we were chasing promotion from league one. We turned up in completely the wrong frame of mind, expecting an easy result, whilst they picked a bunch of kids from the youth team (all playing for a contract). They whooped us 3-0.

Let’s respect the opposition, not get carried away and take one game at a time - like the coaching staff keep saying. Almost there, let’s finish the job....
UTB

We did worse than that at Fratton me old. It was like we'd never played football before and made Pompey look like Barcelona. The only game I have ever left before the final whistle.

pommpey

Back
Top Bottom