Refunds - Who's going to look after us?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If it makes any fans happier to compare, I was supposed to be heading to Norway this evening for a ski trip in Trysil till Monday. As of yesterday morning it was all still happening, but since then the situation in Norway has changed and the ski resort is closing. As the flights are still happening, and there’s no government advice warning against travel to Norway, it’s unlikely we’ll be getting any of the cash of the flights & accommodation trip back. Luckily the car hire was refundable, but for the rest of the costs it doesn’t appear it will be covered by insurance.

It’s unfortunate, but a lesson for me in picking flights that were non-refundable rather than pay more for flexible flights.

I'd booked non-refundable flights and hotels to Hong Kong, however the airline were understanding and I argued enough with the hotel that they refunded me in the end (plus a threat of bad reviews might have helped). I checked my insurance and the cover on things like this are worryingly non-existent so I'm glad I managed to argue and get it all back.

It's making me consider how I book holidays in future but when you want to do something a bit different then you often don't have any choice but to build it yourself unless you use someone like STA or Trailfinders. I think the airlines will see a big spike in people buying flexible tickets going forward and I'll probably do the same on hotel rooms.

A good few of us are going to be out of pocket with today's announcement. Train companies aren't usually that forthcoming when it comes to refunds and stuff, therefore who is going to plug the gap?

It shouldnt be down to the club, whilst I see why this decision has been made...it isn't the clubs fault and is very much out of their hands.

So what will happen??

1. The train operators announce that all travel will be honoured and you will be able to use the tickets on the rearranged dates.

2. The cash cow that is the EPL, will make some announcement of how to claim refunds through them or alternatively fund new tickets through "a scheme".

3. The EPL will liaise with the clubs directly and new transport will be provided. Unfortunately for us regular train commuters, the alternative transport will be via coach from BDTBL. Ultimately losing out in vital pre match "sight seeing"....

4. Nowt.....stand for it! All responsibility is relinquished by everyone involved. However, should this happen...I would imagine that the club would jump in anyway and put coaches on, because to be fair we have a cracking, fan orientated, football club!

God knows........ what I do know however, is that I have two lots of geordie land tickets and 4 lots of manc tickets in my wallet at the minute, all of which may be deemed nil and void.
On the basis that you aren’t a bank, work on the premise of no fecker !!!

UTB

Regards the rail ticket....I‘m hoping to go to Mexico next week flying from Manchester via Paris with Air France.
Mexico has Corona lager but hardly any Corona virus but they might copy the US lead by banning flights from Europe exempting the UK.
Although I fly from Manchester there is an overnight stop off in Paris....so my flight might be cancelled as it might be classed as coming from France.

Ive booked a train from Sheffield to Manchester Airport for next weekend.
It says the tickets are refundable but there’s a £10 admin fee if you request a refund.
I’ve also booked a hotel at Paris airport but believe I can claim that back because I used a credit card.

If my holiday’s cancelled, it’s cancelled. If it’s not, great. I’ve paid for it either way so no point worrying about it.

Best way to get through this is to stop getting concerned about relatively trivial stuff like losing a bit of money. We’re all going to lose a bit, we’re all going to get inconvenienced, we’re all going to find life a bit more difficult. Suck it up and get on with it, like our grandparents did when people were dropping bombs on them.

Understood, and you don't need to have taken out their extortionate "insurance" in advance?
No Bert has never had their insurance.
He inadvertently booked rail tickets to Manchester Airport on the wrong day (Chateau Musar.) and got all his dosh back less ten quid.
He did rebook, he's not sure if that's a condition of the refund though, they didn't say.

Complete Bollocks. The government didn’t suspend games because the Chief Medical Officer advised that it was unnecessary at present in order to achieve his strategy of flattening and broadening the infection curve.

The Football Leagues have suspended games for operational reasons as it was becoming too complex for them and clubs to cope with players rapidly being affected - nothing to do with public health.

Both decisions are entirely different and both decisions are fully justifiable.

Far too rational and astute to be posting on here!!

No Bert has never had their insurance.
He inadvertently booked rail tickets to Manchester Airport on the wrong day (Chateau Musar.) and got all his dosh back less ten quid.
He did rebook, he's not sure if that's a condition of the refund though, they didn't say.

Ive tried the refund option but apparently these tickets a are non refundable
Ive also spoken to the credit card company that I used to pay for them and they dont want to know

Threaten them with Small Claims Court. And change your credit card company. Your purchase has to be over £100 though.

If my holiday’s cancelled, it’s cancelled. If it’s not, great. I’ve paid for it either way so no point worrying about it.

Best way to get through this is to stop getting concerned about relatively trivial stuff like losing a bit of money. We’re all going to lose a bit, we’re all going to get inconvenienced, we’re all going to find life a bit more difficult. Suck it up and get on with it, like our grandparents did when people were dropping bombs on them.
No social media then BB and they just got on with it, can you imagine the reaction to the circumstances now. So many snowflakes questioning every little thing now, WW2 would have well and truly been lost.

If it makes any fans happier to compare, I was supposed to be heading to Norway this evening for a ski trip in Trysil till Monday. As of yesterday morning it was all still happening, but since then the situation in Norway has changed and the ski resort is closing. As the flights are still happening, and there’s no government advice warning against travel to Norway, it’s unlikely we’ll be getting any of the cash of the flights & accommodation trip back. Luckily the car hire was refundable, but for the rest of the costs it doesn’t appear it will be covered by insurance.

It’s unfortunate, but a lesson for me in picking flights that were non-refundable rather than pay more for flexible flights.

A group l know we’re heading to Goa this weekend. Their visas were cancelled Wednesday afternoon. Went to re book to another destination. Travel company tried to charge them £300 each cancellation fee. Eight of them. Eventually the company backed down.

Regards the rail ticket....I‘m hoping to go to Mexico next week flying from Manchester via Paris with Air France.
Mexico has Corona lager but hardly any Corona virus but they might copy the US lead by banning flights from Europe exempting the UK.
Although I fly from Manchester there is an overnight stop off in Paris....so my flight might be cancelled as it might be classed as coming from France.

Ive booked a train from Sheffield to Manchester Airport for next weekend.
It says the tickets are refundable but there’s a £10 admin fee if you request a refund.
I’ve also booked a hotel at Paris airport but believe I can claim that back because I used a credit card.

Simple, Air France/KLM codeshare are with Delta. Manchester to New York then on to Mexico. I'm on mi way back next week and was due to fly with KLM from New York to Amsterdam and on to Manchester. My daughter phoned KLM for us this morning. Ten minutes later we are re booked Cancun _Paris_Manchester. No fuss, no extra cost, no hassle, no arguments with the insurance. Always book direct with the airline for a couple of quid more than the online travel agents who will do fuck all to help when something goes wrong.

Re. Train tickets - if you booked with LNER, they’re now offering free re-arrangement of journeys.

No word of refunds. One would hope they are forthcoming.

I’ve just had email from LNER also, stating free rescheduling of booking or a free refund on all travel if submitted before April 20th. For once it seems companies are valuing their customers and not trying to shaft em

Not sure how the government carries the responsibility. They said carry on, PL and EFL decided not to. Is the government responsible for making everyone’s decisions for them??
No, the government is not responsible for making people’s decisions for them.
They are however, the ultimate legal authority for making decisions affecting public health, and safety.
My point is quite simply that the government will benefit from this decision by football authorities, by the government now being immune to criticism.
By doing nothing, the government will still avoid blame if the decision is wrong, but they can claim a win, if the decision turns out to be the correct one.
I am apolitical on this. All governments are in it for themselves, not for the people who put them in charge.
It’s not a perfect system, but it’s the best we’ve got.

Complete Bollocks. The government didn’t suspend games because the Chief Medical Officer advised that it was unnecessary at present in order to achieve his strategy of flattening and broadening the infection curve.

The Football Leagues have suspended games for operational reasons as it was becoming too complex for them and clubs to cope with players rapidly being affected - nothing to do with public health.

Both decisions are entirely different and both decisions are fully justifiable.
I don’t disagree, I’m simply pointing out that the government cannot be held responsible for this decision, but they can, and will accept plaudits for any benefit accrued.

I think your anti-Boris agenda has gone into overdrive. I hate the bloke but everything he said yesterday was reasoned and supported by the best scientific advice we have.

What should the government have done? Issue a law saying this weeks's matches must be played?

The PL haven't 'grasped the nettle' in any meaningful way, they've just panicked. Self serving wankers!
I do not have an anti Boris agenda. The sports professional bodies may be quite right in what they have done, or it could turn out to be a cluster fuck. Either way the government wins, because they didn’t make the decision.
How does it give me an anti Boris agenda, simply by pointing out facts?

By doing nothing, the government will still avoid blame if the decision is wrong, but they can claim a win, if the decision turns out to be the correct one.

Against my better judgement, I'll respond.

Did you actually listen to the government/scientific conference in full?

The government did not do 'nothing'. They very clearly stated why event such as footie should continue. The scientific advisers then explained the reasoning behind this.

I really don't see how the government can win the world of Charlieblade

Be very careful if you are flying off on holiday in the next few weeks there are rumours doing the rounds that you can fly but are put into quarantine when you reach your destination. 10 days stuck in a hotel room don't sound like much of a holiday to me.

Stop moaning and go out on the Toon!
Seriously, why not go and have a day out on the lash with the lads??

I'd booked non-refundable flights and hotels to Hong Kong, however the airline were understanding and I argued enough with the hotel that they refunded me in the end (plus a threat of bad reviews might have helped). I checked my insurance and the cover on things like this are worryingly non-existent so I'm glad I managed to argue and get it all back.

It's making me consider how I book holidays in future but when you want to do something a bit different then you often don't have any choice but to build it yourself unless you use someone like STA or Trailfinders. I think the airlines will see a big spike in people buying flexible tickets going forward and I'll probably do the same on hotel rooms.
I always book accommodation to pay on arrival and don't pay extra but then a functional 3* suits me fine. EJ have cancelled all change booking fees to 0.00 with only any additional flight cost payable if applicable. I am still intent on my Albufeira trip on 9/4 and have signed up to FCO alerts for travel to Portugal. I now just wait....impatiently😎

Be very careful if you are flying off on holiday in the next few weeks there are rumours doing the rounds that you can fly but are put into quarantine when you reach your destination. 10 days stuck in a hotel room don't sound like much of a holiday to me.

What if it's your honeymoon?

I've bought a train ticket to go to Newcastle. That's how national rail see it. That the game is of is irrelevant to them (one would assume). I'm going for a drink tomorrow regardless because otherwise I'm £60 out of pocket.
I love the logic!

I’m also going to lose my £20 share of our B&B. So shortly we’re off up anyway to spend £200 on ale.

There’s no way I’m wasting that £20.

😂🍺

I've bought a train ticket to go to Newcastle. That's how national rail see it. That the game is of is irrelevant to them (one would assume). I'm going for a drink tomorrow regardless because otherwise I'm £60 out of pocket.
I love the logic! I’m with you;

I’m also going to lose my £20 share of our B&B. So we’re off up anyway to spend £200 on ale.

There’s no way I’m wasting that £20.

😂🍺

My hotel booking for Euro 2020 is non-refundable. Entirely my decision so no whining here.

Back
Top Bottom