Refunds - Who's going to look after us?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

MorettiBlade

Reaction score
A good few of us are going to be out of pocket with today's announcement. Train companies aren't usually that forthcoming when it comes to refunds and stuff, therefore who is going to plug the gap?

It shouldnt be down to the club, whilst I see why this decision has been made...it isn't the clubs fault and is very much out of their hands.

So what will happen??

1. The train operators announce that all travel will be honoured and you will be able to use the tickets on the rearranged dates.

2. The cash cow that is the EPL, will make some announcement of how to claim refunds through them or alternatively fund new tickets through "a scheme".

3. The EPL will liaise with the clubs directly and new transport will be provided. Unfortunately for us regular train commuters, the alternative transport will be via coach from BDTBL. Ultimately losing out in vital pre match "sight seeing"....

4. Nowt.....stand for it! All responsibility is relinquished by everyone involved. However, should this happen...I would imagine that the club would jump in anyway and put coaches on, because to be fair we have a cracking, fan orientated, football club!

God knows........ what I do know however, is that I have two lots of geordie land tickets and 4 lots of manc tickets in my wallet at the minute, all of which may be deemed nil and void.

Not entirely unexpected. The government have allowed the league authorities to do their job for them.

Without a blanket ban on all public events, the government can easily blame the leagues heirarchy for screwing the public. Very Pontious Pilot in my view.

No organisation is blameless now, but the government is. Well played Boris.

Unless ther is a very mild early spring, we will be back here in early April.

I've bought a train ticket to go to Newcastle. That's how national rail see it. That the game is of is irrelevant to them (one would assume). I'm going for a drink tomorrow regardless because otherwise I'm £60 out of pocket.

I've bought a train ticket to go to Newcastle. That's how national rail see it. That the game is of is irrelevant to them (one would assume). I'm going for a drink tomorrow regardless because otherwise I'm £60 out of pocket.
Most tickets are refundable prior to travel. Often you can do it online, https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46594.aspx.
We've used it quite often. Always make a reservation as well, it provides proof for the "delay repay scheme" to come in, and so money back dependent on cancellation/delay.

Without a blanket ban on all public events, the government can easily blame the leagues heirarchy for screwing the public. Very Pontious Pilot in my view.

No organisation is blameless now, but the government is. Well played Boris.

The government specifically said yesterday that it was too early to cancel sporting events. They are keeping their powder dry as they know these things need to be done later as infection rates increase.

I don't like Boris either but you can't blame them for this.

Knee jerk wobble from the Prem because the Arsenal manager has it.

No footie now until September.

The government specifically said yesterday that it was too early to cancel sporting events. They are keeping their powder dry as they know these things need to be done later as infection rates increase.

I don't like Boris either but you can't blame them for this.

Knee jerk wobble from the Prem because the Arsenal manager has it.

No footie now until September.
By allowing football authorities to grasp the nettle, the government has absolved itself of making a decision. If the authorities are correct, the government can claim they were successful. If they are wrong,the government can blame the football authorities for jumping the gun.
Ergo, the government wins without doing anything. Well played Boris. Yes I am a cynic. 😊

Some people are out of pocket for a train ticket because they chose the non-refundable option..

others who work in live sport broadcasting that are freelance don’t know when they are going to be working and getting paid next.
Trainline will refund you for £10, you have to post the tickets back, you get the money back once they've received them.

Trainline will refund you for £10, you have to post the tickets back, you get the money back once they've received them.

So you pay them 10 quid and they refund you the ticket money?, is that what you mean Bert?

So you pay them 10 quid and they refund you the ticket money?, is that what you mean Bert?
Ah yes, Bert needs to clarify. You get your money back less ten quid.
Bert did it a couple of weeks ago.

My concern is within the second paragraph I wrote, I didn’t buy a train ticket to Newcastle.

just putting it into context

A good few of us are going to be out of pocket with today's announcement. Train companies aren't usually that forthcoming when it comes to refunds and stuff, therefore who is going to plug the gap?

It shouldnt be down to the club, whilst I see why this decision has been made...it isn't the clubs fault and is very much out of their hands.

So what will happen??

1. The train operators announce that all travel will be honoured and you will be able to use the tickets on the rearranged dates.

2. The cash cow that is the EPL, will make some announcement of how to claim refunds through them or alternatively fund new tickets through "a scheme".

3. The EPL will liaise with the clubs directly and new transport will be provided. Unfortunately for us regular train commuters, the alternative transport will be via coach from BDTBL. Ultimately losing out in vital pre match "sight seeing"....

4. Nowt.....stand for it! All responsibility is relinquished by everyone involved. However, should this happen...I would imagine that the club would jump in anyway and put coaches on, because to be fair we have a cracking, fan orientated, football club!

God knows........ what I do know however, is that I have two lots of geordie land tickets and 4 lots of manc tickets in my wallet at the minute, all of which may be deemed nil and void.

I bought my tickets on a non-refundable basis through Trainline. So they wont give me the money back but they will change the date of travel for a £10 fee. They told me I could do that as many times as I wanted. So rebook the ticket for several months in the future then change it again when/if the rearranged date is announced. Still lose £20 but better than losing all of it

Cool answer Bert, too many panicking and looking to others to solve their problem. Talk to the train companies in a sensible way and due to present situation I'm sure you will prevail. Wife and I went through the same a while back with it all ending amicably. As regards the less £10, think on, "Ye don't get owt for nowt in this life".

Last edited:
By allowing football authorities to grasp the nettle, the government has absolved itself of making a decision. If the authorities are correct, the government can claim they were successful. If they are wrong,the government can blame the football authorities for jumping the gun.
Ergo, the government wins without doing anything. Well played Boris. Yes I am a cynic. 😊
Not sure how the government carries the responsibility. They said carry on, PL and EFL decided not to. Is the government responsible for making everyone’s decisions for them??

I think your anti-Boris agenda has gone into overdrive. I hate the bloke but everything he said yesterday was reasoned and supported by the best scientific advice we have.

What should the government have done? Issue a law saying this weeks's matches must be played?

The PL haven't 'grasped the nettle' in any meaningful way, they've just panicked. Self serving wankers!

So what will happen??

Have a day out with family and or friends and stop moaning, just remember to wash your hands.

Spoke to Transpennine and as I bought an advance ticket I can't get a refund. Was told something would be announced and to keep checking website

If it makes any fans happier to compare, I was supposed to be heading to Norway this evening for a ski trip in Trysil till Monday. As of yesterday morning it was all still happening, but since then the situation in Norway has changed and the ski resort is closing. As the flights are still happening, and there’s no government advice warning against travel to Norway, it’s unlikely we’ll be getting any of the cash of the flights & accommodation trip back. Luckily the car hire was refundable, but for the rest of the costs it doesn’t appear it will be covered by insurance.

It’s unfortunate, but a lesson for me in picking flights that were non-refundable rather than pay more for flexible flights.

If it makes any fans happier to compare, I was supposed to be heading to Norway this evening for a ski trip in Trysil till Monday. As of yesterday morning it was all still happening, but since then the situation in Norway has changed and the ski resort is closing. As the flights are still happening, and there’s no government advice warning against travel to Norway, it’s unlikely we’ll be getting any of the cash of the flights & accommodation trip back. Luckily the car hire was refundable, but for the rest of the costs it doesn’t appear it will be covered by insurance.

It’s unfortunate, but a lesson for me in picking flights that were non-refundable rather than pay more for flexible flights.

Sorry to hear of your disappointment but well done for taking it like a man .

Some people are out of pocket for a train ticket because they chose the non-refundable option..

others who work in live sport broadcasting that are freelance don’t know when they are going to be working and getting paid next.
It’s shit. Over the last three years my income has dropped due to the uncertainties of Brexit, it was pretty much on its arse from spring of last year until the election. It was just picking up again and now this. I suspect in the long term the economic damage will be quite severe. Not only will we lose elderly relatives but see family, friends and perhaps ourselves struggle financially, perhaps even catastrophically.

Ah yes, Bert needs to clarify. You get your money back less ten quid.
Bert did it a couple of weeks ago.

Understood, and you don't need to have taken out their extortionate "insurance" in advance?

I booked my rail tickets with LNER. They said they are doing refunds on a case by case basis and appear to be paying out for others faced with cancelled events or those forced into self isolation.

In general though it’s a shocking way to run what should be a public service. Having to commit to travel weeks or months in advance in order for it to be vaguely affordable but should you be unable to make it for reasons outside your control then soz pal that’s your cash down the shitter....and god forbid you make a small error when booking which you notice and attempt to rectify immediately.

Alternatively you don’t take the gamble and have to pay more than you would for return international flights.

Complete Bollocks. The government didn’t suspend games because the Chief Medical Officer advised that it was unnecessary at present in order to achieve his strategy of flattening and broadening the infection curve.

The Football Leagues have suspended games for operational reasons as it was becoming too complex for them and clubs to cope with players rapidly being affected - nothing to do with public health.

Both decisions are entirely different and both decisions are fully justifiable.

September? I thought it was postponed until 3rd April. I can't keep up.

What ISC means is that the medical experts advising the government have told them.
Closing down sporting events will have little effect on slowing down the spread.
They also advise that its going to be here several months and will be worse in 2 or 3 months.

However instead of listening to the experts the PL snd EFL have listened to the sensationalists media that is driving public opinion.
What the PL night do is treat the corona virus like common flu.

Comtinue life as normal...if teams have 1 or 2 ill for a few days with the flu then they are expected to use their squads.
However if clubs have half the players with flu then they can apply for a postponement.

Back
Top Bottom