Recruitment going forward..

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Aye. ChampagneBlade mentioned Odsonne Edouard. That would certainly do.

If we're to make one signing to strengthen the first 11 then up front is definitely where it should be.
Edouard would be my dream pick of a signing... Id also be convinced that the club are looking at my Football Manager save especially after signing Berge and Retsos also. 😂

Don't follow Scottish football, but the lad looks good. Strong as well, even with shirt drag backs and people trying to trip him, stayed on his feet.

Almost like the anti-Zaha

I would like an Italian style number 10 along the lines of de Baggio, del Pierro and totti.

Someone who will get goals, bang one in for 20 when needed and create goals. Basically an upgrade of mcGoldrick which might have saved me some time thinking whether it’s di or de baggio. It’s been a while
Neither.

It was di biagio who wasnt a number 10 either.

Unless you simply meant baggio.

Sam Crow I'll ask you one as well.

What are your thoughts on Malinovskyi, and how did he and Berge play together at Genk?

Bit of a hopeful one for me but I'd love to see them playing together for us.

The good thing about signing Edouard would be that we'd get him for relatively cheap. Celtic always start with high valuations and then realise that they can't command these for SPL players. They'd say £50m and end up accepting £20m.

I wouldn't touch Morelos with a shitty stick, lots coming out in the press about him this week.

Sam Crow a few recommending Jonathan David as a potential Summer signing. What's your thoughts on him?

This is what I posted about him in my introduction topic: One of the few real (but raw) talents in the Belgian league at this moment. The kid kinda has it all: speed, over average technique, scores easily,... Maybe lacks a little power in the duels sometimes, but he's still young. If I were in Sheffield, I'd sign him but put him on loan again in Gent or maybe a subteam in Germany or something. He needs more times to develop, but he's got potential for sure.

But who knows, maybe if he joins the team in early summer he'd be good enough already!

Sam Crow I'll ask you one as well.

What are your thoughts on Malinovskyi, and how did he and Berge play together at Genk?

Bit of a hopeful one for me but I'd love to see them playing together for us.

Are there talks of Sheffield wanting to sign him?

Malinovskyi is a special one. Last year after our "captain" decided to leave us in full title race and out of the transfer window to the MLS, we needed someone to step up. Malinovskyi delivered. He already had one hell of a season, but after Pozuelo leaving for the dollars, he got even better. If you want a winner with a great distance shot, technique and a over my dead body mentality: he's your to go to guy. He won the price for best player last year and it was nothing less than deserved.

When he signed for Genk nobody thought he'd stay that long. But he tore his ACL and that was actually "luck with an accident" for Genk. He came back better (and a lot stronger, all those hours of physio did their job) and he lead us to winning the competition.

When it comes to playing together with Sander you can't really tell something without mentioning Bryan Heynen. The combination of those three worked perfectly: they knew their assignments perfectly and all three were not afraid of dirty meters. I think that was the best midfield we ever saw in Genk. And yes, De Bruyne played there too... ;)

This is what I posted about him in my introduction topic: One of the few real (but raw) talents in the Belgian league at this moment. The kid kinda has it all: speed, over average technique, scores easily,... Maybe lacks a little power in the duels sometimes, but he's still young. If I were in Sheffield, I'd sign him but put him on loan again in Gent or maybe a subteam in Germany or something. He needs more times to develop, but he's got potential for sure.

But who knows, maybe if he joins the team in early summer he'd be good enough already!

Are there talks of Sheffield wanting to sign him?

Malinovskyi is a special one. Last year after our "captain" decided to leave us in full title race and out of the transfer window to the MLS, we needed someone to step up. Malinovskyi delivered. He already had one hell of a season, but after Pozuelo leaving for the dollars, he got even better. If you want a winner with a great distance shot, technique and a over my dead body mentality: he's your to go to guy. He won the price for best player last year and it was nothing less than deserved.

When he signed for Genk nobody thought he'd stay that long. But he tore his ACL and that was actually "luck with an accident" for Genk. He came back better (and a lot stronger, all those hours of physio did their job) and he lead us to winning the competition.

When it comes to playing together with Sander you can't really tell something without mentioning Bryan Heynen. The combination of those three worked perfectly: they knew their assignments perfectly and all three were not afraid of dirty meters. I think that was the best midfield we ever saw in Genk. And yes, De Bruyne played there too... ;)

I wish there was talk of us wanting to sign him!

But we will have watched him a lot alongside Berge at Genk so you never know.

He can't carry on being a sub for Atalanta because he's too good for that.

I noticed that he also came back from his ACL injury incredibly quickly so I think that says a lot for him as well.

I wish there was talk of us wanting to sign him!

But we will have watched him a lot alongside Berge at Genk so you never know.

He can't carry on being a sub for Atalanta because he's too good for that.

I noticed that he also came back from his ACL injury incredibly quickly so I think that says a lot for him as well.

Correct, he came back very fast.

He's a special dude. Not in a bad way, but he's stubborn and when he has his mind set on something he goes all the way. I remember an interview last year with him where he just went to the reporter and said "if you ask anything about becoming champions, I will leave. We don't talk in the media, we talk on the field" with this determined (and a little crazy) look into his eyes after our biggest contenders (that shit team in Bruges) talked shit in the media again. Oh, I loved him. :D

Genk wanted to keep him really bad and offered him an improved contract. But he wanted fresh air. Atalanta doesn't pay him more than Genk offered him. But it's the Serie A of course.

He also has a very cool wife. She really sympathyzed crazy hard with Genk last season. She wanted Genk to win the league as much as every regular fan. She was completely absorbed by it just like we were. :)

He's a special dude. Not in a bad way, but he's stubborn and when he has his mind set on something he goes all the way. I remember an interview last year with him where he just went to the reporter and said "if you ask anything about becoming champions, I will leave. We don't talk in the media, we talk on the field" with this determined (and a little crazy) look into his eyes after our biggest contenders (that shit team in Bruges) talked shit in the media again. Oh, I loved him. :D

Genk wanted to keep him really bad and offered him an improved contract. But he wanted fresh air. Atalanta doesn't pay him more than Genk offered him. But it's the Serie A of course.

He also has a very cool wife. She really sympathyzed crazy hard with Genk last season. She wanted Genk to win the league as much as every regular fan. She was completely absorbed by it just like we were. :)

Yes, I also noticed he seems to have done very well in the wife department :D

Interesting insight anyway. Good to learn a bit about his character as well as what I've seen on the pitch.

Question for you - rank your top 3 players from the past 3 years and why? Curious because your club seems to be a conveyor belt of talent.

I would like an Italian style number 10 along the lines of de Baggio, del Pierro and totti.

Someone who will get goals, bang one in for 20 when needed and create goals. Basically an upgrade of mcGoldrick which might have saved me some time thinking whether it’s di or de baggio. It’s been a while
Totally agree, if we stick with our current formation (which I think we will) the key is a player with Didsy’s link up play who can also score.
A young Bergkamp, Sheringham, Berbatov type

Jonathan David scored two goals for Gent yesterday. Especially the second one was pure class with him setting up the attack and finishing it off. I might have been mistaken about him not being ready for the next step, because after the winter break he's tearing up defenses. Great player.

It’s becoming worrying at the moment. Yes I know Berge will take time to settle and he will improve but for £22m we are all expecting immediate results etc.

We have signed Berge / C Robinson / L Freeman / R Morrison / Rodwell / Besic / Zivkovic / Restos all of whom have hardly played.

It’s becoming worrying at the moment. Yes I know Berge will take time to settle and he will improve but for £22m we are all expecting immediate results etc.

We have signed Berge / C Robinson / L Freeman / R Morrison / Rodwell / Besic / Zivkovic / Restos all of whom have hardly played.

C Robinson was given plenty of game time at first but it was clear that he wasn't quite what we needed.

L Freeman did really well when he stepped in for Fleck, but at the end of the day is just not as good as him yet, so perhaps unlucky.

Besic was only brought in as cover and played his part.

As for the rest, well 3 of them were only hear for 2 minutes before the pandemic hit, so to suggest that there is some underlying problem with recruitment is a but far fetched.

You also neglected to mention McBurnie, Mousset, Osborne and J Robinson, who have all looked the part.

The team underneath our first team looked woeful again!

We need two, pacey powerful forwards capable of creating chances for themselves.

Those don’t come cheap so that reduced transfer budget they were talking about last week may need a boost, maybe from a sale.

Restrict purchases to no more than £5m a player.

McBaffling.
Cal Rob
Burger Boy.
Moose.

£60million on them four.

£60fuckingmillion !!

Less is more 😀.

UTB

We need two, pacey powerful forwards capable of creating chances for themselves.

Those don’t come cheap so that reduced transfer budget they were talking about last week may need a boost, maybe from a sale.

Callum Wilson if B’mouth go down?

We've been incredibly lucky with injuries the last couple of seasons but these last couple of games has demonstrated how weak we are outside of the first team. We also have very few young players coming through. The fact we've had Rodwell and Clarke on the bench says how far off most other teams in this league we are.

Why would any decent attacking players want to sign for us?

That might be a big problem for us.

Two strikers is a must which is why we may need to be ruthless with McBurnie, who is a decent player and does have attributes but isn't really ideal for what is clearly the most effective types of partnerships in a 352.

4 types of Striker;

1. Link up player capable of competing in duels. (McGoldrick/Lautaro Martinez)

McBurnie? I feel he could be this player maybe with time but his link up play can be very sloppy and he's poor in ground duels.

2. Pacey striker (Mousset)
3. Mobile target man (Jimenez/Lukaku/Leon Clarke)
4. Direct skilful winger type (Jota/Brooks)

Wolves and Inter have played with a 352 this season and their striker partnerships are very good and will usually fit into these types of striker, we have seen a fleeting Leon/Brooks and McGoldrick/Mousset partnerships used to great effect at varying levels, it's clearly the way to go in this system and we have to try and tick all 4 of these boxes for next season.

I do feel we need a proper physical presence up top as an option.

A Premier League James Hanson if you will. Big, strong, tough and good in the air.

Back
Top Bottom