Recruitment going forward..

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CharnockBlade

Reaction score
I think it will be very interesting to see what direction we go in following this window. It’s the first time I can remember us beginning to look in a different direction when bringing players in, and, to carry on being successful I think it’s one we’ll be looking to use a lot more, I was talking about this with a mate last night and it got us on to the topic of where will we look at targeting next position wise, as I can’t remember the squad depth being as it is for a long long time;

(Henderson) Verrips Moore

Baldock K Freeman

Basham Retsos

Egan Jagielka

O'Connell Robinson

Stevens Osborn

Berge Lundstram Rodwell

Norwood (Bešić)

Fleck L Freeman

McBurnie Mcgoldrick Robinson

sharp Mousset Zivkovic Clarke

Obviously the first 11 has changed a little so far this season and this is as of yesterday, but it shows that we do have really quite a strong squad. However going forward players will obviously leave/drop down the pecking order (assuming ofcourse we stay up, I mean, we should, right?)

of the players listed Henderson and Bešić are loans with no view to permanent. Although I think we’d all love Deano back next year.

Moore, Jagielka, Rodwell, k Freeman and Clarke will probably move on in the summer

Players like Sharp and bash may slowly begin to be pushed downward although I love them both dearly.

We’ll have Robinson coming back from WBA next year and maybe Norrington-Davies to come in as cover at left wing back/centre half. Although a championship loan may be on the cards for him.

the budget will obviously dictate largely who and what position we choose to strengthen but I can’t think of a more incredibly exciting time to be a blade. As the foundation of the squad continue progressing I can see it being a 2/3 players a window/season job with wildcards thrown in here and there to keep squad cover deep enough.

I’ve written many words down there and not really said anything, just interested to see what direction we’ll go in as a club regarding singings, do we look to Europe more? Or try and pick gems from the championship?

I hope we continue to pick up players from the championship as they’re hungry and used to the physicality of the English game but it looks like it’s going to be mixed with signings from the Low Countries, where we seem to have established a network. I guess our next stage will be to broaden that network. Providing we keep doing our scouting properly, using Wilder’s criteria, it should work.

I’ve also noticed that our u-18s are doing well. The academy is also going to be important going forward, all the clubs around us have academy products in their first team.

Two wing backs need back up although upgrading on them would be difficult its such a key area of the team that if you did improve that area attacking wise particularly it would add a new dimension

Left side centre back needs strengthening assuming jack can't play every game every week especially if we are in the champions league

Jags is not a like for like with Egan and up top we need another mouseett type but one who is fit enough to play 90 mins

I think listening to wilder gave a huge inside into the way we're thinking u 25s prospects

I hope we have a look at those that will go down.
GK priority.
LWB
Punt on another striker

Rest dependent on outgoings

Personally I think we need more creavity to get to the next level. I realise this is unrealistic, but just to give an idea of the type, Jack Grealish would be perfect.
More realistic could be Benrahma.

Personally I think we need more creavity to get to the next level. I realise this is unrealistic, but just to give an idea of the type, Jack Grealish would be perfect.

Exactly what I’ve been thinking. We need a quality number 10/free role type to grease the wheels of our passing game, create overloads and toy with the opposition. Next step has to be that little touch of class that gives us the edge in the final third.

Grealish or Zaha would be perfect but too expensive (think 80-100 million). Need to spend ~£40-£50m on the next big thing.

Maybe David Brooks if Bournemouth drop (possibly too risky because of injuries).

Reckon it’ll have to be another gem off the continent.

Exactly what I’ve been thinking. We need a quality number 10/free role type to grease the wheels of our passing game, create overloads and toy with the opposition. Next step has to be that little touch of class that gives us the edge in the final third.

Grealish or Zaha would be perfect but too expensive (think 80-100 million). Need to spend ~£40-£50m on the next big thing.

Maybe David Brooks if Bournemouth drop (possibly too risky because of injuries).

Funny how the management thought wed get relegated playing that system but I'm sure you're right ,hope wilders reading this

Hull were rubbish but Benrahama and Jensen looked exceptional for Brentford. If they dont go up we should be in for players like them.

There has to be some talent on the periphery of the premiere league squads. Yer know like that Ricky Holmes lad 😂

Its got to be a goalscoring forward Pukki would be a decent signing if the fee was reasonable you have to consider his age as well

Funny how the management thought wed get relegated playing that system but I'm sure you're right ,hope wilders reading this

I'm talking about the mcgoldrick role, not dropping Lunny or Berge for a flair player

Looking at the squad right now, think we need backup wingbacks, GK, backup for Egan and another striker (who's proven in the Prem)

Totally agree.....in the early days our creative talisman was Mark Duffy....when he didn’t play we didn’t have the same threat when teams packed their defence.
We asked McGodrick to play deeper, floating in the spaces between midfield and attack and he was a surprising success.

We know McGoldrick can’t score but he’s the glue linking midfield to attack helping us keep loads of possession in the opposition half.
In recent matches Didzy hasn’t played and we haven’t been the same. We‘re more long/ direct ball relying on counter attack and not as bothered about possesion.

My view is that we need a Didzy replacement....agree Jack Grealish would be perfect...although he has a bad habit of holding onto the ball far too limb.
I was hoping Luke Freeman could be that player. One thing I am sure of is that Wilder will already be planning for next season with a clear plan.

Reece, as much as I like your sentiments, even with my willingness to wonder when we'll sign player A, B, or C, I still think it'll be a season or 2, possibly 3, before we consider spending £40 or 50 million on a player. What's made this season's spends so amazing is that we're not renowned as a club willing to invest at anything like the recruitment we've seen this season. My hope is that the board heeds Wilder's words and provides funds when called upon. One thing I don't want is rash spending that has longterm, damaging effects on this club's viability. Having said that though, I'm sure there are enough wise heads within the club to ensure that we grow at a steady pace.

Cantwell is the poorer version of Grealish. Would be 20m or so if Norwich went down. English and young fits what we look at.

Maybe bigger teams in for him but for me he would be one to look at.

If Berge does well the only midfield replacement then would be Besic to return back to Everton and we look for another one.

I think the main aim would be one striker and maybe finish off the balance of the 25 man squad to bulk the team up.

I’d think at least four of that list will be gone before next season starts.

Cantwell is the poorer version of Grealish. Would be 20m or so if Norwich went down. English and young fits what we look at.

Maybe bigger teams in for him but for me he would be one to look at.

If Berge does well the only midfield replacement then would be Besic to return back to Everton and we look for another one.

I think the main aim would be one striker and maybe finish off the balance of the 25 man squad to bulk the team up.

I was just going to post "Cantwell" as well. When you say he's the "poorer" version of Grealish I disagree. I think you possibly mean, "less expensive" version of Grealish?

Grealish has been on the scene a few years now. Cantwell, to me, looks every bit as good as Grealish, minus the prima donna play-acting, but he's only just burst onto the scene. I've only seen glimpses of him to be fair, but I've been so impressed with what I've seen, I think this young lad has really got something.

I'd also like to see us sign a player who can compete with McBurnie in the height/strength/aerial threat department. For me, that would be someone like Mitrovic of Fulham.

The important thing though is to recognise that, at this level, the job of recruitment is never done. We have to be continually looking to improve on what we have, no matter how good they are. It's not like painting a house and putting the finishing touches to it, and going, "that's it. That'll last us now a few years". It won't. It's more like painting the Forth road bridge. It's a task that never ends.

Could you really see players like Grealish and Cantwell fitting in to a Wilder side? Alongside the likes of Maddison and Snodgrass they are the type of players we love to hate....

Some very good players suggested. However, my concern with a number of them is their natural/current positions. I think most people have identified a need for more flair/creativity but most of the suggested players either play in the #10 role or as a wide forward, neither of which Utd currently play with. Robinson has shown how difficult it can be to adapt especially when making the step-up from lower leagues. Unless CWAK have any intention of altering the midfield set-up now that Berge has joined e.g. using two pivots and one in a more advanced position, the creativity will need to come from another that can play the McGOldrick role i.e. a striker that can drop deeper to collect the ball.

I think looking at Odsonne Édouard from Celtic at 22 would be a decent and not unreasonable acquisition. 6'2", 42 in 75 for the Hoops.

Slightly more in the God, no, you've got to be kidding me stakes is Alfredo Morelos at Rangers. 23, 5'10" with 44 in 82 for the Teddy Bears.

'Big 6' might not be quite ready to take the plunge and both good ages. Concerns obviously about Morelos' temperament.

With a full summer to go at, I'd be confident we could lure one at a fee that would be in budget.

Back
Top Bottom