Reading 4-0 United (FA Cup 4th round, 2013): where are they now?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Balham Blade

S24SU Seer
Reaction score
Given our rapid rise I don't get to do these very often at the moment but we travelled to Reading in the FA Cup in 2013. Reading were back in the Premier League while we were midway through our second season in League One with the cracks in Danny Wilson's regime beginning to show.

United's line up that day

25 George Long
: now at Hull and has turned into a competent Championship keeper, even if he's not dealt with his one major weakness (pushing shots back into the six yard box)

2 Darryl Westlake: it's still incomprehensible to me that he a) had a professional career and b) we paid a transfer fee for him: last seen at Stourbridge in 2016
4 Danny Higginbotham: this was a final payday (well, exercising an option that he had for an extra year was his proper final payday) for an over-the-hill Higginbotham. Left United in the summer of 2013 with an extra year's pay in his pocket, played a few games for Chester and Altrincham in the Conference before becoming a pundit
5 Harry Maguire
: the world's most expensive defender, now captaining Manchester United to a finish just outside the European places
29 Tony McMahon: Shithouse Tony spent two years at United kicking opposition wingers. Now a free agent after leaving Oxford in September

10 Nick Blackman: spent 6 months at United, scoring 11 goals in 28 appearances having signed from Blackburn for £50k. We sold him to Reading for £1.2m a few days after the cup defeat there; he's now at Maccabi Tel Aviv having spent time at Derby - who paid Reading over £3m for him, a lot of money for a player whose main goal threat is from the penalty spot
8 Michael Doyle: still playing as he nears 40, he's been spotted scoring ridiculous goals for Notts County this season
11 Kevin McDonald: left us early in the David Weir regime to join divisional rivals Wolves for £500k. Now at Fulham where he plays a squad role.
23 Jamie Murphy: left United for Brighton in August 2015, now back with Nigel Clough at Burton on loan from Rangers after missing the past two years with ACL injuries.

14 David Kitson: played for us for one season before joining Oxford. Now retired to allegedly concentrate on his writing career.
9 Chris Porter: cult hero to some at the Lane with some vital goals (a match-winning double in the last 5 minutes against Forest in the FA Cup under Clough being the pinnacle), now at Crewe where he's scoring plenty but still missing sitters

Subs:
35 Danny Coyne: emergency signing after Howard got injured at Leyton Orient, don't think he made a first team appearance. Now goalkeeping coach at Middlebrough
15 Neill Collins
(on for Westlake, 76): managing Tampa Bay Rowdies in the second tier of the US system. Bizarrely rated by some, his time at United saw us finish lower pretty much every season he was at the Lane
7 Ryan Flynn (on for Porter, 60): the epitome of our stay in League One, Flynn is now at St Mirren but suffered an ACL injury in early February. Has been playing at right back which I maintain is his best position
27 Elliot Whitehouse (on for McDonald, 69): dropped into non-league before working his way back up, now with Grimsby in League Two
36 Diego De Girolamo: arguably the most talented youth player we've ever brought through until a series of knee injuries ruined his career. Now at Buxton which is a long way from Juventus.
17 Richard Cresswell: left United in the summer of 2013 to play for his hometown club York in League Two before retiring in December 2013. Now Head of Academy Coaching at Leeds
24 Joe Ironside
: another tale of too much pressure on a young player who probably wasn't good enough, Ironside didn't score in 16 appearances and is now at League Two crisis club Macclesfield having worked his way back up from non-league.

Given that this game was 7 years ago it's surprising that the majority of the players in the squad are still playing: the only one who isn't who isn't at retirement age (as far as I can tell) is Darryl Westlake but you could argue that he wasn't good enough to start with.

15 Neill Collins (on for Westlake, 76): managing Tampa Bay Rowdies in the second tier of the US system. Bizarrely rated by some, his time at United saw us finish lower pretty much every season he was at the Lane

🤣 He improved immeasurably by not playing.

I know it's not fashionable, but I can't help but feel sorry for DDG.

He may have been a touch cocky and y'know... wore his cap back to front (the abhorrent wanker), but what a fall from grace for what should have been an amazing career.

That squad, with a few exceptions, sends a cold shiver down the spine 😖
We were certainly shivering that day. Sure it was snowing on the way down. Another one of those games when we wondered why we bothered. Game over and no way back relatively early if I recall correctly. No loyalty points worries that day.

I don't know what's stopping Diego from rising back up again. I know he's 24 now and at that age not many of them make it back from his current level to Pro level apart from the odd few e.g. the Bounce Killer, I think it was Prescot Cables and Vauxhall Motors?

He shouldn't have lost his talent and skill so either the knee injuries he suffered with us while on international duty with Italy U17s/U18s are still having an effect limiting his playing ability. If not that then surely its got to be the mental side or both combined. Regarding him mentally does he have an attitude problem or was he never good enough in the first place and just appeared a world beater while progressing through our academy?

Given our rapid rise I don't get to do these very often at the moment but we travelled to Reading in the FA Cup in 2013. Reading were back in the Premier League while we were midway through our second season in League One with the cracks in Danny Wilson's regime beginning to show.

25 George Long: now at Hull and has turned into a competent Championship keeper, even if he's not dealt with his one major weakness (pushing shots back into the six yard box)

2 Darryl Westlake: it's still incomprehensible to me that he a) had a professional career and b) we paid a transfer fee for him: last seen at Stourbridge in 2016
4 Danny Higginbotham: this was a final payday (well, exercising an option that he had for an extra year was his proper final payday) for an over-the-hill Higginbotham. Left United in the summer of 2013 with an extra year's pay in his pocket, played a few games for Chester and Altrincham in the Conference before becoming a pundit
5 Harry Maguire
: the world's most expensive defender, now captaining Manchester United to a finish just outside the European places
29 Tony McMahon: Shithouse Tony spent two years at United kicking opposition wingers. Now a free agent after leaving Oxford in September

10 Nick Blackman: spent 6 months at United, scoring 11 goals in 28 appearances having signed from Blackburn for £50k. We sold him to Reading for £1.2m a few days after the cup defeat there; he's now at Maccabi Tel Aviv having spent time at Derby - who paid Reading over £3m for him, a lot of money for a player whose main goal threat is from the penalty spot
8 Michael Doyle: still playing as he nears 40, he's been spotted scoring ridiculous goals for Notts County this season
11 Kevin McDonald: left us early in the David Weir regime to join divisional rivals Wolves for £500k. Now at Fulham where he plays a squad role.
23 Jamie Murphy: left United for Brighton in August 2015, now back with Nigel Clough at Burton on loan from Rangers after missing the past two years with ACL injuries.

14 David Kitson: played for us for one season before joining Oxford. Now retired to allegedly concentrate on his writing career.
9 Chris Porter: cult hero to some at the Lane with some vital goals (a match-winning double in the last 5 minutes against Forest in the FA Cup under Clough being the pinnacle), now at Crewe where he's scoring plenty but still missing sitters

Subs:
35 Danny Coyne: emergency signing after Howard got injured at Leyton Orient, don't think he made a first team appearance. Now goalkeeping coach at Middlebrough
15 Neill Collins
(on for Westlake, 76): managing Tampa Bay Rowdies in the second tier of the US system. Bizarrely rated by some, his time at United saw us finish lower pretty much every season he was at the Lane
7 Ryan Flynn (on for Porter, 60): the epitome of our stay in League One, Flynn is now at St Mirren but suffered an ACL injury in early February. Has been playing at right back which I maintain is his best position
27 Elliot Whitehouse (on for McDonald, 69): dropped into non-league before working his way back up, now with Grimsby in League Two
36 Diego De Girolamo: arguably the most talented youth player we've ever brought through until a series of knee injuries ruined his career. Now at Buxton which is a long way from Juventus.
17 Richard Cresswell: left United in the summer of 2013 to play for his hometown club York in League Two before retiring in December 2013. Now Head of Academy Coaching at Leeds
24 Joe Ironside
: another tale of too much pressure on a young player who probably wasn't good enough, Ironside didn't score in 16 appearances and is now at League Two crisis club Macclesfield having worked his way back up from non-league.

Given that this game was 7 years ago it's surprising that the majority of the players in the squad are still playing: the only one who isn't who isn't at retirement age (as far as I can tell) is Darryl Westlake but you could argue that he wasn't good enough to start with.
Enjoyed that post mate, made me giggle!

Mentioned his stint in the Ex-Players thread yesterday – Flynn did really well in the games we tried him there, and rather than recognise we’d potentially discovered his best position and stick with it he immediately went out and signed two more right-backs and Flynn never played there for us again. Interesting to hear this is where he’s ended up playing. I liked him – was a big part of that excellent FA Cup run the previous season.

I know it's not fashionable, but I can't help but feel sorry for DDG.

He may have been a touch cocky and y'know... wore his cap back to front (the abhorrent wanker), but what a fall from grace for what should have been an amazing career.
I hope I don't break any confidences here but I was chatting to a then-member of United's medical team a few years ago - we'd played a memorial game for a mutual friend and I'd spotted his Cuvelier 34 shirt. He told me that Manchester United were on the verge of signing De Girolamo for a significant fee when he got his first knee injury, and that DDG was hands down the most talented player we'd brought through the academy system. DDG wasn't the same after that first injury though; it took out his potential and left him unable to make the most of his technical ability.

I don't know what's stopping Diego from rising back up again. I know he's 24 now and at that age not many of them make it back from his current level to Pro level apart from the odd few e.g. the Bounce Killer, I think it was Prescot Cables and Vauxhall Motors?

He shouldn't have lost his talent and skill so either the knee injuries he suffered with us while on international duty with Italy U17s/U18s are still having an effect limiting his playing ability. If not that then surely its got to be the mental side or both combined. Regarding him mentally does he have an attitude problem or was he never good enough in the first place and just appeared a world beater while progressing through our academy?

He's playing with his brother at Buxton and probably earning a few quid doing that. Isn't there a successful family business in the background too? The average salary in League One isn't much (comparatively); maybe he doesn't think the rewards are worth it?

He's playing with his brother at Buxton and probably earning a few quid doing that. Isn't there a successful family business in the background too? The average salary in League One isn't much (comparatively); maybe he doesn't think the rewards are worth it?

Possibly but League 1 salaries will probably be anywhere between £500 and £3000 a week (bigger clubs such as Sunderland will be even higher). Compare that with (I don't know this for sure but I'd be surprised) if he's earning more than £100 per game/week at Buxton as they're in the 7th tier which is only one above Sheffield FC I think.

If he realised his full potential he could've gone right to the top and have been earning hundreds of thousands a week and as I alluded to earlier at 24 it would be a long and arduous journey but not impossible. But for balance I also alluded to that we don't know if past injuries are still affecting/limiting him, he isn't the first and won't be the last footballer to have their careers ruined by injury (if it is that).

But the main thing is if he's happy earning an extra few quid on the side (albeit not much) as well as being involved with his family business then that's all that matters isn't it.

Reactions: 10p
I can remember this forum going into meltdown on several occasions when some of those players got sold
Collins was and always will be a fucking wanker , who turned on a young keeper at Gillingham after that 4-0 first day defeat
I liked Flynn and yes Porter was a cult hero of mine and I delighted embarrassing junior by standing up and clapping him off from our south stand seats
Sit down dad , Jesus will ya stop he would say

The Reading fans were chanting, "Four-nil down on your big day out!" at us. I've never forgotten that, the bastards.

I think that might have been the first time I described Reading as being the only team with a fan-base made up entirely of mummy's boys.

The Reading fans were chanting, "Four-nil down on your big day out!" at us. I've never forgotten that, the bastards.

I think that might have been the first time I described Reading as being the only team with a fan-base made up entirely of mummy's boys.

I knew a guy, a genuine Reading fan, who said most of their crowd was made up of spotty little kids who cheer when they see on their phones that Manchester United have scored.

25 George Long: now at Hull and has turned into a competent Championship keeper, even if he's not dealt with his one major weakness (pushing shots back into the six yard box)

5 Harry Maguire

Subs:
15 Neill Collins
24 Joe Ironside

Fantastic post. That United team brings back memories of how awful we used to be.

I'm pretty sure that Danny Higginbotham came back for pre-season the following season, knew his legs had gone and he couldn't do it, and tore up his own contract to go and play for Altrincham and enjoy his football at his boyhood club.

I wasn't too disappointed that we got rid of Blackman for the money that we did, he had a half decent 6 weeks at the start of the season and then didn't seem to get out of first gear for the rest of the time that he was here, culminating to his move to Reading.

I knew a guy, a genuine Reading fan, who said most of their crowd was made up of spotty little kids who cheer when they see on their phones that Manchester United have scored.
Reading’s population has seen huge growth in our lifetimes. It takes a long time to build up a loyal, solid fan base. Generations really. I’ve heard of people travelling from West London to watch the ‘big clubs’ play Reading when they were in the PL.

All I can remember about this game was the interview just after it from Kevin McCabe saying that there were absolutely no plans to sell Nick Blackman.

Thank fuck the days of that liar have gone.

To be fair Darryl Westlake had a good sounding footballer’s name. Unfortunate the rest of him was mostly hotel pot washer standard.

Mentioned his stint in the Ex-Players thread yesterday – Flynn did really well in the games we tried him there, and rather than recognise we’d potentially discovered his best position and stick with it he immediately went out and signed two more right-backs and Flynn never played there for us again. Interesting to hear this is where he’s ended up playing. I liked him – was a big part of that excellent FA Cup run the previous season.

One of my least favourite Blades ever with a United career reflecting the overall mediocrity of the times. Only ended up a regular because better players were sold, frequently injured, nesh, little end product in terms of goals and assists, a big Cup tart who went missing in League games against good teams...

2011 to 2016 truly were the Ryan Flynn years.

great read cheers,

15 Neill Collins (on for Westlake, 76): managing Tampa Bay Rowdies in the second tier of the US system. Bizarrely rated by some, his time at United saw us finish lower pretty much every season he was at the Lane

completely agree , no idea how anyone rated him and nothing was ever his fault !

Think we took a whopping 400 fans down to that match as well, how times have changed

Back
Top Bottom