Ravel Morrison

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not sure why people are quick to condemn Ravel Morrison.

The club mitigated any risk with the contract he signed and fortunately for us as a club Norwood, Lunny & Fleck have been excellent so we've never needed to call upon him to come into the side. Wilder is on record as saying this.

The worst thing to come from signing him is that we had a squad player who perhaps improved a few players in training.

I wish him good luck and I hope the Boro loan is a success for him.

Not sure why people are quick to condemn Ravel Morrison.

The club mitigated any risk with the contract he signed and fortunately for us as a club Norwood, Lunny & Fleck have been excellent so we've never needed to call upon him to come into the side. Wilder is on record as saying this.

The worst thing to come from signing him is that we had a squad player who perhaps improved a few players in training.

I wish him good luck and I hope the Boro loan is a success for him.

It's not the lad's fault, obviously, but he uses up a lot of the oxygen of publicity for the club for someone who is obviously never going to have any effect on the first team. You look on the Guardian early season and it was all about how United are going to integrate former wunderkind Ravel Morrison into the team. Other papers were the same. So much ink wasted on barely a squad player.

Wilder signed him and Wilder got rid of him.
You still think it's all been a big success.
Wilder signed him. Wilder has consistently said he was great in training and around the place. Then moved on due to the fact we have just signed Sander Berge for 22mil. That doesn’t make it a failure. Not every signing that doesn’t become a first teamer is a failure.

Wilder signed him. Wilder has consistently said he was great in training and around the place. Then moved on due to the fact we have just signed Sander Berge for 22mil. That doesn’t make it a failure. Not every signing that doesn’t become a first teamer is a failure.

Agree....it’s not as simple as that.
Maybe Ravel was on a modest salary with loads of appearance based bonuses....so he hasn’t cost that much.
Also maybe Ravel has been a positive influence in training.....his very presence has put pressure on Fleck, Norwood and Lunny to improve their levels

Similar thing with Sharp, Stearman and Jagielka....could say in their latter days they offered little to the team
but all 3 are or were (regards Stears) a very positive influence in training. That positive/ happy vibe has been a factor in our success.

It's not the lad's fault, obviously, but he uses up a lot of the oxygen of publicity for the club for someone who is obviously never going to have any effect on the first team. You look on the Guardian early season and it was all about how United are going to integrate former wunderkind Ravel Morrison into the team. Other papers were the same. So much ink wasted on barely a squad player.

Not sure what he can do to control the media glare on him
Agree....it’s not as simple as that.
Maybe Ravel was on a modest salary with loads of appearance based bonuses....so he hasn’t cost that much.
Also maybe Ravel has been a positive influence in training.....his very presence has put pressure on Fleck, Norwood and Lunny to improve their levels

Similar thing with Sharp, Stearman and Jagielka....could say in their latter days they offered little to the team
but all 3 are or were (regards Stears) a very positive influence in training. That positive/ happy vibe has been a factor in our success.

Wilder always emphasises the importance of the players who are pushing hard in training for a start and how it raises the bar in the first team.

If this was any other of our past managers other than Wilder, would people be so desperately trying to reason that a six month stay by a player who didn't make the first team wasn't a failure?

If this was any other of our past managers other than Wilder, would people be so desperately trying to reason that a six month stay by a player who didn't make the first team wasn't a failure?

I know it’s all semantics but I think it’s harsh to call this a “failure” - it just didn’t work out (what’s the opposite of success? Failure, right, I get it). But as it’s turned out it was basically a six month trial - hasn’t harmed us, but it’s transpired that we haven’t needed him, and he’s not as good as five or six of our other midfielders.

We knew that going in, hence the 1-year “prove it” deal. I don’t see that there’s been an opportunity cost to having him here - it’s not like we had to pass on someone else to sign Morrison, or we spent money on him that could’ve been used elsewhere. We were always going to need squad filler just in case something happened - it would have been mental to go into the season with a squad of 19-20 players. And ideally, you don’t need those players because your first 15-16 are doing really well. Zivkovic may end up in the same boat there - He’s coming in as fifth-choice striker and if everything goes smoothly for us, he might not start a game for us during this loan and we say bye-bye at the end of it.

So yeah, I just have a hard time calling this a failure. Wilder talked up Callum Robinson the other day but if he ends up leaving permanently in the summer, THAT’S a transfer I’d call a failure.

I know it’s all semantics but I think it’s harsh to call this a “failure” - it just didn’t work out (what’s the opposite of success? Failure, right, I get it). But as it’s turned out it was basically a six month trial - hasn’t harmed us, but it’s transpired that we haven’t needed him, and he’s not as good as five or six of our other midfielders.

We knew that going in, hence the 1-year “prove it” deal. I don’t see that there’s been an opportunity cost to having him here - it’s not like we had to pass on someone else to sign Morrison, or we spent money on him that could’ve been used elsewhere. We were always going to need squad filler just in case something happened - it would have been mental to go into the season with a squad of 19-20 players. And ideally, you don’t need those players because your first 15-16 are doing really well. Zivkovic may end up in the same boat there - He’s coming in as fifth-choice striker and if everything goes smoothly for us, he might not start a game for us during this loan and we say bye-bye at the end of it.

So yeah, I just have a hard time calling this a failure. Wilder talked up Callum Robinson the other day but if he ends up leaving permanently in the summer, THAT’S a transfer I’d call a failure.
Your entire post is giving reasons why it was worth taking the gamble even though it didn't pay off. Nothing you've said justifies calling this signing a success. It failed. It was a failure. Does it matter? Not really. Did it cost us much? Not really. Was it worth the punt? Probably. It doesn't mean it wasn't a failure.

I think he let himself down a bit last night, commenting on Lundstram's social media that he "better start next game."

I think he let himself down a bit last night, commenting on Lundstram's social media that he "better start next game."
Probably just got him in his fantasy team. Wouldn't read too much into it. In his post match interview Lunny mentioned a few of the lads were giving him some stick because they'd taken him out of their teams.

If only putting a squad together had been so easy when we played a play-off final with no forwards and without our most influential mid-field player ;)

Doing a bit of a Roy I was interested to see how he got on at Boro as he started the other night, looks to be polarising opinion after 70 minutes of football:

"Ravel 5 (somewhere between 3 and 7) - Terrible first 20 mins, didn't look a footballer at all, then he started to get on the ball and ping it about. He was the one midfielder that was using the width and finding the FBs, particularly Howson. But out of possession, Jeez he was lazy, scared to tackle, and not even pressuring the ball."

"We didn’t sign Morrison to be no better than the rest though, did we?"

"Ignore what I said earlier about Morrison. I think I’m starting to understand why he hasn’t played in about 10 years 😂 "

"Morrison has had some lovely touches so far. Promising start from the lad."

Doing a bit of a Roy I was interested to see how he got on at Boro as he started the other night, looks to be polarising opinion after 70 minutes of football:

"Ravel 5 (somewhere between 3 and 7) - Terrible first 20 mins, didn't look a footballer at all, then he started to get on the ball and ping it about. He was the one midfielder that was using the width and finding the FBs, particularly Howson. But out of possession, Jeez he was lazy, scared to tackle, and not even pressuring the ball."

"Ignore what I said earlier about Morrison. I think I’m starting to understand why he hasn’t played in about 10 years 😂 "

Good skill but lazy. Pretty much the story of his career and why he didn't make it at the top level.

Even Mesut Ozil is able to run around a bit and stick the odd tackle in when he can be bothered.

Seems familiar. Good on the ball, shit off it. You’ve got to be good at both these days.

Could have wrote those comments myself after seeing him play for us.
He plays like a top class Brazilian 5 a side player. Obviously talented with some great tricks and flicks, has soft feet enabling a lovely first touch
but he‘s more of an individualist and not that effective for a team. Luxury player who out of possession offers very little...just jogs around.
Still has potential to be a decent Championship player but not sure if he’s up to it.

That's media bullshit, not Wilder's.

Si thee. Gamble that didn’t pay off. Next stop for him League 2 I’d guess.

Wasted talent.

Also, it seems Wilder is a bit abrupt in his answer in the article about him now being a player at another club. I think Wilder did have plans for Ravel and is quite pissed off it hasn’t worked out.

Was always a gamble but we’ve lost nothing out of this , unfortunately joins the the long list of players who had the talent but wasted it .. something i’ll never underderstand as someone who played at a decent level when I was younger but didn’t make the grade who would have given his right arm given half an opportunity & talent these players had

At least it will stop all the clueless ones on here suggesting CW should use him in the first team squad.
Shame for the lad that he's again without a club. It could have been a fairytale but a combo of him not being good enough and Utd progressing extremely quickly meant it wasn't to be.
Hope he finds a club where he can knuckle down and enjoy himself for a few years although I doubt it will happen.

Swing and a miss.

Never mind, it was a small gamble. Probably didn't cost much in wages. Hope it works out for him elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom