Ramsdale’s little jump

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I feel sorry for the kid, but that's no reason to keep him in the team. He's not winning the team any points, in the same way Tracey, Kelly, Kenny and Hendo used to.

I don't think Ramsdale is dropping almighty howlers every game, he just seems to be conceding goals that I think he should do better with. I missed the first goal v Spurs, but the second Kane has hit it from outside the box and look where the ball hits the back of the net, it's not right in the corner, to me a good goalkeeper would have saved that. Third one I don't think many if any would have saved. However, i think back to the opener v Wolves, look where the ball ends up, again not right in the corner and he should be saving those. That seems to happen a lot with him.

He's not the only reason for how the season is panning out but he is one of them.
He lets one in from outside of the box almost every other game.

What's good about this table & the XG model is that it dispels the myths around how Ramsdale is only poor because he doesn't get enough protection.

I agree that you can’t use the argument “Henderson would have struggled in this team”. When you look at the average PSxG for shots on target within the divisio across goalkeeepers who have made more than 10 starts it works out at 29.75
The importance of this figure is it suggest that defensively the opposition are having a shot difficulty that is on average ....well average. so, CURRENTLY we a have a goalkeeper that is facing the same difficulty of shots as others in the division and yet is performing in the bottom 3.

At the end of last season Dean Henderson’s PSxG was the same as Ramsdale currently at .30. The difference Henderson saved 5 more than he should have statistically, whereas Ramsdale has allowed 2 more than goals that statistically predicted. It doesn’t take a genius to work out that a 7 goal swing for a side that has lost by one goal 11 time’s already this season would have a few more points if Henderson was still in goal. You never know Ramsdale might just turn it around, and i hope he does, but he could well benefit from a rest.

Two things strike me looking at the list...

There is no stat for simple catches fumbled or how many crosses left in own six yard box

and secondly it seems most Premier League clubs have at least two goalkeepers all better than Ramsdale without having spent silly on fees. It's so telling that when you look at bottom/mid table teams most have got two good options or more with at least one experienced top level keeper in their side to take pressure off a younger keeper.

Brighton - Ryan and Sanchez
Southampton - McCarthy and Forster
Newcastle - Dubravka and Darlow
Burnley - Pope and Peacock-Farrell
Palace - Guaita, Hennessey and Butland
Leeds - Casilla and Mellier
Fulham - Areola and Rodak
Villa - Martinez, Heaton and Steer
West Ham - Fabianksi and Randolph
Wolves Patricio and Ruddy

Other than possibly Peacock-Farrell I'd argue every teams second or even third choice choice is a better or more experienced keeper than Ramsdale. Which begs the question why did Wilder buy him for so much?

Interestingly, Ramsdale is the third best cross stopper in the division at 8.6% comparable with Karl Darlow. The two best in the division are Burnley’s Nick pope 12.6% and Fulhams Areola 14.7% (On current output, that kid is a steal at 10m)

First time today I think he could do with dropping, although the alternatives are no better it could be worth it to save Ramsdale. He's a decent enough keeper that could look alright in a decent enough team but his confidence is totally shot at the moment. Looks like he'll get nowhere near every ball he comes for
Gets nowhere near every ball he comes for? Jim, he doesn’t come for anything mate and if he does he looks like a performing seal.

I was prepared to give Rammers a chance, and thought he could be a good signing with the right coaching. He has pulled off some good saves, but I wouldnt say they were anything another solid PL goalkeeper couldnt do. As the season has gone on, he has become more of a bomb-scare. Not really in command of his box, does not inspire confidence in the defence and prone to an error. The CW we used to know would have seen this and dropped him. But the CW now I think is worried about saving face, given the money that was spent on Rammers.

As with the other transfers, questions need to be asked of the strategy and scouting. By all accounts Rammers is showing the same weaknesses that were there for all to see last season. Also, spending a big chunk of the transfer budget on a keeper in a team that just got relegated...hmmm.

Although the fee was high, I suspect the offset of the sell on clause was in the thinking.

But in short, this signing, like most of the others from the summer has not worked out, and part-explains why we are going down.

Agreed...CW has to take it on the chin and drop him....he's not the keeper to build the side on for next season. I'm afraid he's a very expensive dud who will be draining a large wage out of the club for the foreseeable future.....I still insist he's up there as one of our worst ever signings and we have no chance of unloading him.

I was prepared to give Rammers a chance, and thought he could be a good signing with the right coaching. He has pulled off some good saves, but I wouldnt say they were anything another solid PL goalkeeper couldnt do. As the season has gone on, he has become more of a bomb-scare. Not really in command of his box, does not inspire confidence in the defence and prone to an error. The CW we used to know would have seen this and dropped him. But the CW now I think is worried about saving face, given the money that was spent on Rammers.

As with the other transfers, questions need to be asked of the strategy and scouting. By all accounts Rammers is showing the same weaknesses that were there for all to see last season. Also, spending a big chunk of the transfer budget on a keeper in a team that just got relegated...hmmm.

Although the fee was high, I suspect the offset of the sell on clause was in the thinking.

But in short, this signing, like most of the others from the summer has not worked out, and part-explains why we are going down.
We sold for a million. We bought back for 18 million after a poor season from the guy. Absolutely barmy

With regards the little jump - it benefits the keeper in making the save as it has the spring ready to dive. However, this is only any good if you can anticipate when the player is about to shoot. You have to be on the ground ready to dive as the ball is struck otherwise you are still in the air coming down as the ball is on it's way losing you the split second you need. If he cant see these things stop fucking jumping, at least then both feet are on the ground. Judging when is all about concentration, reading the game and knowing what the 'triggers' are. You have to concentrate right to the point you have the ball in your hands (obvious) and not think about what you're going to do with the ball next. Genuinely think he is too busy thinking what next rather than what now, which is also a reason he keeps dropping the ball. Catch the fucker then think about distribution, yes it may slow down the quick counter but it's better than scrabbling around on the floor because you've dropped another one. If he is genuinely a complete Forest Gump at catching a ball coach him to be a better puncher. With a decent coach commanding the area can be taught, either catch or punch but don't just stand there looking gormless while the opposition have a free header. Yes you might look like a twat if you miss it but at least it's a positive attempt to get the ball.

I do feel sorry for him as he is exposed with the unsettled defence this year but if his confidence is knocked you can't leave him in against the two Manchester clubs. It's hardly going to improve getting beaten repeatedly.
I seem to remember villa loaning an experienced keeper for the end of the season despite having pretty good keepers on their books last year. We need a steady pair of hands so badly.

I feel sorry for the kid, but that's no reason to keep him in the team. He's not winning the team any points, in the same way Tracey, Kelly, Kenny and Hendo used to.

I don't think Ramsdale is dropping almighty howlers every game, he just seems to be conceding goals that I think he should do better with. I missed the first goal v Spurs, but the second Kane has hit it from outside the box and look where the ball hits the back of the net, it's not right in the corner, to me a good goalkeeper would have saved that. Third one I don't think many if any would have saved. However, i think back to the opener v Wolves, look where the ball ends up, again not right in the corner and he should be saving those. That seems to happen a lot with him.

He's not the only reason for how the season is panning out but he is one of them.
I think that's harsh re Ramsdale and the second goal. I've just watched it now and when Kane shoots Ramsdale can't see where the ball is going because Egan blocks his view. I've played in goal a few times at an amateur level admitedly, but one thing I learned was how hard it is to save shots if they're hit low and hard and you're obviously reacting after the balls been hit.

As for Ramsdale, earlier on in his time with us I thought he made a decision where to go before the shot was hit which is always a gamble and often makes you look silly if you get it wrong. Leeds at home's an example. But since then he has made some really good saves, kept us in games and I'd say overall over 90% if not more of the goals are not due to him. He's young, he's learning, he's going to get better also with playing more.

As a comparison with Henderson, Henderson has played about 135 games as of the end of last season, Ramsdale's played 96, and he''s a year younger than Hendo, so Hendo's got a year's more evelopment on him. I think if we look back at Hendo's time with us he was playing for team full of confidence the whole time and in the PL last season we were playing out of our skins and were defensively solid. But if you look back on some of the goals tht Hendo conceded I think there's errors there also, but we generally got the results. Look at the Bristol City game just as one example where we lost 3 - 2. In my view two of the three goals are his fault to a degree. The first he totally loses the flight of the ball and then flaps at it as the ball goes in. The sun's in his eyes admitedly. Their second goes past him on his near post. Also as a comparison, our first goal is shocking from their keeper. I can remember a game v Birmingham away where Hendo makes a total mess of the save and they equalise from that. There was the Villa away game.

The second game I'ce attached on here, the first goal for Stoke. Hendo has clear site of that, it's not in the corner either and I bet if Ramsdale had been in net our fans would hve said, Hendo should have saved that. Their second goal Hendo's rooted to his line for a ball that is in the six yard box, it's a fast ball in very similar to the first goal we conceded v Spurs in that the ball in is fast and in the six yard bo.x. Again I think we'd be questioning Ramsdale had he been in goal. We seem to ultra critical of him and just need to give him some slack in my view.

Interestingly, Ramsdale is the third best cross stopper in the division at 8.6% comparable with Karl Darlow. The two best in the division are Burnley’s Nick pope 12.6% and Fulhams Areola 14.7% (On current output, that kid is a steal at 10m)
Not trying to split hairs but what count as "stopping" a cross? If it's getting a hand to the ball and diverting it's path then fine but I would hope it includes gathering crosses and holding them as thats what Ramsdale seems to struggle with.

Also with it being a proportion, is that a percentage of crosses stopped that a goalkeeper commits to? As if you stay on your line for most things your percentage of crosses stopped will be higher if you only come out for easy takes?

I'd take Button or Ryan. The latter would be a massive improvement, the former would be a modest improvement. Won't happen though.
Mathew Ryan's performances have fallen off a cliff this season. Statistically he's one of the few keepers worse than Ramsdale.
Not trying to split hairs but what count as "stopping" a cross? If it's getting a hand to the ball and diverting it's path then fine but I would hope it includes gathering crosses and holding them as thats what Ramsdale seems to struggle with.

Also with it being a proportion, is that a percentage of crosses stopped that a goalkeeper commits to? As if you stay on your line for most things your percentage of crosses stopped will be higher if you only come out for easy takes?
I don't think I can recall a keeper dropping so many crosses. He seems to try and claim the ball with hard hands right in front of his eyes but effectively just pats it downwards. It's probably his single biggest weakness and it's definitely been picked up by the opposition scouts.

Whether the defence have confidence in him or not, they should not be ignoring his shouts. That is only compounding the situation.

In every game, you can see Ramsdale call for the ball and move towards it but a defender will clear instead when he could have left it. It happened 2 or 3 times today.

The defence do not trust him at all.

I am certain of this because I play in goal and my defence don’t trust me so I know this behaviour when I see it...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

100%.

UTB

At this point it’s clear as day that those who keep bringing Henderson up into comparison are those trying to protect Ramsdale. Irrelevant to us now. Ramsdale just needs to do better, or be dropped, simple.

Do we stick with him and continue to lose games or do we try someone else who may or may not do better? Seems an obvious choice to me.

Do we stick with him and continue to lose games or do we try someone else who may or may not do better? Seems an obvious choice to me.

Lets face it FA Cup aside we havent got anything to lose as we cant be doing any worse really so why not change the keeper. Wilder wont though.

Not seen the other two play but for me Simon Moore is a better keeper than Ramsdale as it stands.. Ramsdale is young and might come good but moore is currently better

Not seen the other two play but for me Simon Moore is a better keeper than Ramsdale as it stands.. Ramsdale is young and might come good but moore is currently better
Thats a hell of a claim. Simon Moore is Upper league 1 at best (where he played most games) and only has played in a handful of games in the last 4 years. Rammers has 1.5 seasons in the premier league, albeit struggling...

Thats a hell of a claim. Simon Moore is Upper league 1 at best (where he played most games) and only has played in a handful of games in the last 4 years. Rammers has 1.5 seasons in the premier league, albeit struggling...

So come the end of the season it’ll be two seasons in the PL with two different clubs and two relegations. Worth every penny that kid..

So come the end of the season it’ll be two seasons in the PL with two different clubs and two relegations. Worth every penny that kid..

I've criticised him.
But i'll also say that two different managers, making a kid number one in the Premier League after playing just half a season in League one, isn't exactly wise.

He can, and should, improve.
But I do feel like he needs taking out the firing line.

Back
Top Bottom