Promotion - the gift that keeps on giving

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bladeulike

Reaction score
Earlier this season I seriously thought that staying in the Championship was better than gaining promotion to the Prem. For me, the Prem just conjures up nightmare images of Mark Stein’s goal way back when, Warnock’s dire away tactics, the Tevez debacle, smirking West Ham fans, the travelling to soulless pits of despair like the Emirates and the devastating loss to Wigan. It still does conjure up these images but, surprisingly, these last few weeks I have never enjoyed my football more! Here’s some reasons why:

1. Anticipating the fixture list for next season.
2. Planning to put 3 Blades players in my fantasy league team (f*ck it - I never win anyway)
3. Reading Porktalk - absolutely priceless and guaranteed to cheer up even the worst of days
4. Avidly watching the play offs with a heady mixture of smugness, relief and the sheer joy of the drama
5. Endlessly replaying highlight vids of the games over the season - I have even been able to watch the Villa game for the first time since coming out of therapy! Strangely, the Bouncing Day massacre has somehow melded into this season’s play reel....

But the biggest reason this promotion is the gift that keeps on giving is that I haven’t felt real pride in this club for such a long time and I have suddenly realised that I haven’t felt much else but pride for this last three seasons. It was a long way back in the field and had to overtake strong, long staying runners such as humiliation, disappointment and despair but pride has stormed through and crossed the line in first place. Just bloody great days to be a Blade!

Earlier this season I seriously thought that staying in the Championship was better than gaining promotion to the Prem. For me, the Prem just conjures up nightmare images of Mark Stein’s goal way back when, Warnock’s dire away tactics, the Tevez debacle, smirking West Ham fans, the travelling to soulless pits of despair like the Emirates and the devastating loss to Wigan. It still does conjure up these images but, surprisingly, these last few weeks I have never enjoyed my football more! Here’s some reasons why:

2. Planning to put 3 Blades players in my fantasy league team (f*ck it - I never win anyway)
3. Reading Porktalk - absolutely priceless and guaranteed to cheer up even the worst of days
4. Avidly watching the play offs with a heady mixture of smugness, relief and the sheer joy of the drama
5. Endlessly replaying highlight vids of the games over the season - I have even been able to watch the Villa game for the first time since coming out of therapy! Strangely, the Bouncing Day massacre has somehow melded into this season’s play reel....

But the biggest reason this promotion is the gift that keeps on giving is that I haven’t felt real pride in this club for such a long time and I have suddenly realised that I haven’t felt much else but pride for this last three seasons. It was a long way back in the field and had to overtake strong, long staying runners such as humiliation, disappointment and despair but pride has stormed through and crossed the line in first place. Just bloody great days to be a Blade!

Aye - the sheer bliss of not giving a fuck about football (until August)

I lived through the Tony Currie, Alan Woodward era and never thought we would ever get close. However the last few weeks have surpassed even that.
The biggest difference is that in those days we had absolutely brilliant individual players. Today we have a great team maybe without individual brilliance, but what we do have is the most amazing manager ever.

I lived through the Tony Currie, Alan Woodward era and never thought we would ever get close. However the last few weeks have surpassed even that.
The biggest difference is that in those days we had absolutely brilliant individual players. Today we have a great team maybe without individual brilliance, but what we do have is the most amazing manager ever.

That's it. The John Harris team are still my favourite although looking back they probably under achieved. This team are definitely the best since those early 1970s days when I first started going regularly. Got a feeling that under Tufty we could actually win a major trophy..

It is absolutely amazing how this seasons ending is going. Here we sit in our smug promotion castle whilst waching relaxed the climax to the Prem, Champions league and FA cup. With England still to come in the Nations League.
Knowing our position is secure is so calming and just what I need given recent events for me.
Thank you Chris Wilder for your great timing.

That's it. The John Harris team are still my favourite although looking back they probably under achieved. This team are definitely the best since those early 1970s days when I first started going regularly. Got a feeling that under Tufty we could actually win a major trophy..
Did you see the Barnet game :D

Always be proud in actually being a Blade Bladeulike (I'm sure you are, like the rest of us) but I'm with you on pride in the team..... it's been far too long. This lot are a bit special, enjoy every minute and milk every last drop of pleasure they give us.

It is absolutely amazing how this seasons ending is going. Here we sit in our smug promotion castle whilst waching relaxed the climax to the Prem, Champions league and FA cup. With England still to come in the Nations League.
Knowing our position is secure is so calming and just what I need given recent events for me.
Thank you Chris Wilder for your great timing.
Smug promotion castle lol
If you look really hard from atop Premier League Tower, across the shires of Midtable Failure, you can just make out the simple Wednesday folk wallowing in the sties of Broken Dreams Alley staring enviously back at our glorious Promotion Castle.
Still, they do seem very pleased about the new king of Thailand, so they have that to enjoy.
UTMFB

These times of enjoying being a prem team , league manager of the year, watching Leeds and Wednesday suffer may be a high point for a little while so we'd best enjoy them to the max. It would be a terrific achievement to stay in the prem and there will be tough times. I like to think with the ownership sorted we could be like Burnley - a bit of yo yoing into champ but financially sorted and eventually solid middle third prem team. No reason not to be anything other than very happy and proud at this point.

Stop kidding yourself,the John Harris team was a team in every sense of the word. They combined team work and the individual brilliance and made big hitters like MUFC pay us the respect we deserved. Great team now but not as good as those lads.

The best post I have seen on here in a long, long time.

Back
Top Bottom