'Memries' Promotion Scrapbook 1970-71

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tuesday 9th March 1971, Blades lose their first home match of the season in an ill-tempered match against Hull. I must have been so upset, it didn't make the scrapbook!

However, we are soon back to winning ways as Blades trounce Blackburn 5-0 in their next home match on Saturday 20th March.20190517_173055.jpg

My dad and I usually sat in the BLUT but it was full for the Luton game so we had to sit in the west wing of the John Street Stand. A few weeks earlier Malcolm MacDonald had boasted in the papers that it was easy for him to score in the 2nd division because the centre halves were poor. At the end of the match Eddie Colquhoun came up to him and sarcastically slow handclapped at him!
Still remember Hockeys debut in the match at Oxford.
Stood on the away end could here Hockey shouting and balling encouraging United on.we won the game 2-1 and incident sticks out in my memory.Hockey shouting at Frank Barlow , " get up there Frankie baby as he was challenging for a high ball.
Hockey was the leader we needed as we were slipping a bit in the race for promotion.

Still remember Hockeys debut in the match at Oxford.
Stood on the away end could here Hockey shouting and balling encouraging United on.we won the game 2-1 and incident sticks out in my memory.Hockey shouting at Frank Barlow , " get up there Frankie baby as he was challenging for a high ball.
Hockey was the leader we needed as we were slipping a bit in the race for promotion.
I was at Oxford match too. My dad hadnt planned for us to go to Oxford but after seeing me being upset about Tudor's sale, he then decided that we go to Oxford. I remember being surprised that Hockey had a beard as I had not known any footballer with beard!

Saturday 1st May, 1971. Blades secure promotion with a 3-0 win over Watford. Cue an impromptu pitch invasion and players celebrating in the John Street Stand.

Attachments

• 20190517_173340.jpg
    20190517_173340.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 20190517_173457.jpg
    20190517_173457.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 20190517_174534.jpg
    20190517_174534.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 14
My first league match of the season. I remember my dad's reaction after Gerry Gow putting Bristol City 3 up. He stood up from his seat and put his hands out in shock saying "3-0??"

Gerry Gow, immortalised in song by the great Half Man Half Biscuit:

Have several likes, Karaoke Blade . Wish I'd still got all my scrapbook stuff and posters from that time.

Nice Be Bop De-luxe avatar as well...;)

I wish I'd kept all my old stuff too. I think when I got to my late teens I put these things behind me and when I moved out my ma must have got rid of em. Glad I kept this one though.
I did the same with my vinyl collection, sold it for a pittance on car boot. Bizarrely, the only vinyl album I found in the loft yesterday was 'Sunburst Finish' by Be Bop Deluxe!

Tuesday 9th March 1971, Blades lose their first home match of the season in an ill-tempered match against Hull. I must have been so upset, it didn't make the scrapbook!

However, we are soon back to winning ways as Blades trounce Blackburn 5-0 in their next home match on Saturday 20th March.View attachment 53932
My first ever Blades game - the original battle of Bramall Lane

Some great memories there Karaoke Blade, thank you. I was also a massive fan of David Powell, such a shame that injuries curtailed his playing career, he would have been a huge star but for them.

Brilliant stuff.

We also had a scrapbook/photo album exactly like that with that blue/straw cover

pommpey

Back
Top Bottom