'Memries' Promotion Scrapbook 1970-71

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ive got one almost the same in my Mums loft will have to dig it out. What ever happened to scrapbooks ,went the same way as Diaries and pen pals :( Bet you were born early 60s like me.
Ha ha, yes. This one is the only one that survived. I had a great one with many autographs from Blades and visiting players but it must have got chucked when I left home. Pen pals...yes, I had one in Norway who supported Ham Kam (strange the things you remember!).
I was born in 1959 .

Ha ha, yes. This one is the only one that survived. I had a great one with many autographs from Blades and visiting players but it must have got chucked when I left home. Pen pals...yes, I had one in Norway who supported Ham Kam (strange the things you remember!).
I was born in 1959 .
Mine was a bucked tooth girl from Luxembourg :D

Great to see this scrapbook. I have to admit it is much better than the one I have been putting up in the '60 years ago this month' thread. If you get a chance to add a few reminiscences and comparisons with this season's promotion, that would be great. My memories of that season are patchy, as I had just started a 'proper job', and first child was born in the December. I got to most home games, but perhaps without the level of commitment of other seasons. Especially the match where I was expecting a tannoy announcement telling me to go home as Mrs HBT was in labour...

Saturday 15th August 1970. Not a great start.

I was at Saltergate that day to see Aston Villa (their first match in the third tier) beat Chesterfield 3-2. My dad was impressed with Villa's number 10 and asked a Villa fan for his name "Ian Hamilton" was the reply. He joined us 6 years later.

At half time I knew the Blades were leading by a goal thanks to the scoreboard at Saltergate but didnt find out the full time score until I went out to play football in a local park and a Wendy fan took delight in telling me that we lost 3-1 and that Wendy beat Charlton 1-0.

The previous week my dad showed me the prediction table done by a Sunday Express reporter. The reporter had the Blades at the top division and Orient at the bottom position. The shock of us losing 3-1 made me feel that promotion is a distant dream!

Saturday 22nd August 1970. First 2 points on the board.
View attachment 53922
I missed this match because I was at a family holiday in Great Yarmouth. I got my mum worried between 4.30pm and 6pm because I wasnt in the caravan. I hadnt told her that I had gone to a local newsagent to find out the score! I rushed back to the caravan to give the good news to my dad but got a telling off from my mum!

Saturday 15th August 1970. Not a great start.

I was at the Orient match and Mark Lazarus ran us ragged . I don't know how old he was but he looked fucking ancient .

Every time he set off on one of his runs , and there were many , an old Cockney wag behind me would shout "Dahnt forget to take yer iron lung wiv yer , Markie ". Made me smile , anyway .:)

I was at the Orient match and Mark Lazarus ran us ragged . I don't know how old he was but he looked fucking ancient .

Every time he set off on one of his runs , and there were many , an old Cockney wag behind me would shout "Dahnt forget to take yer iron lung wiv yer , Markie ". Made me smile , anyway .:)
Was he raised from the dead? :)

I missed this match because I was at a family holiday in Great Yarmouth. I got my mum worried between 4.30pm and 6pm because I wasnt in the caravan. I hadnt told her that I had gone to a local newsagent to find out the score! I rushed back to the caravan to give the good news to my dad but got a telling off from my mum!
We have a habit of starting seasons poorly when we go on to win promotion.
If I remember rightly we drew with Hereford at the lane our first match in the forth and not long after lost at Stockport.
All from memory so I'm sure you will confirm or shoot me down Silent!.

Tuesday 8th September 1970. League Cup 2nd Round. Blades beating Leeds since for ever. :D
View attachment 53925
I was sat in the John Street Stand for that match. Behind me were a group of Wendy players. Colin Prophett and Sam Ellis were the two I remember. After TC scored, Sam Ellis gave me the thumbs up as if he was pleased!

January 1971. Manager John Harris delves into the transfer market ….View attachment 53928
Hope and Hockey made big contributions to our promotion Ford not so much.
Ford was in a terrible car crash a few years earlier he survived but was never the player he was at Wednesday.
Whether that was down to his injuries or the mental scars (
his girlfriend died in the crash ) is hard to say but there is no doubt he was not the same player after the crash.

Saturday 6th February 1971. Home debuts for John Hope, David Ford and Trevor HockeyView attachment 53931 .
My dad and I usually sat in the BLUT but it was full for the Luton game so we had to sit in the west wing of the John Street Stand. A few weeks earlier Malcolm MacDonald had boasted in the papers that it was easy for him to score in the 2nd division because the centre halves were poor. At the end of the match Eddie Colquhoun came up to him and sarcastically slow handclapped at him!

Back
Top Bottom