Programme Corner

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Programme Review No 4, EvertonView attachment 61774

Didn't get an opportunity to have a look at the Everton programme on Saturday as there was about as much room in the lower tier to swing a cat and the fat beer bellied bloke behind me, everytime he moved kept knocking me into the row in front.
So, had a quick shifty whilst in Maccy d's at Croxteth, feeding the gruesome twosome.
A glossy production of 84 pages.
Begins with the standard Manager, Captain and Interview with a player format. Double page welcoming back jags and then an adequate opposition guide in almost match attax style.
Nice touch with the stats page for the U18s, U23s and Women's, they actually print the league tables !!! , and the lettering is quite big, which is good because I'm blind as a bat.
However its a programme that feels like it doesn't have a great amount of substance to it, 22 pages of adverts certainly doesn't help.

The highlight was without doubt the Dave Thomas article. Many of you who remember the late 60s and early 70s will remember Thomas as a great winger, who wore boots with rubber studs and didn't wear shin-pads, nowadays he's virtually blind after beginning to lose his sight after turning 50.

There's some great snippets in there, from his grandad refusing to play football with him if he didn't use his left foot and as a 15 year old, his old man kicking Don Revie and Manny Cousins out of the house as they tried to convince him to renege on his word to sign for Burnley on £4 a week in favour of their offer off £30 a week and a £2000 signing on fee.
Remarkable story through medical adversity and how he remains positive and how he loves his dog. So he's alright by me.

I love reading these stories of players who were knocking about when I was a kid.
Different era but the Don Hutchison interview in our Liverpool programme was a great read too. Don't get people who say the programme only contains material that is already available online.

just sold for £80,000 plus commission (£96k)
My just giving page is........ and I’ll throw in our lass :eek:

I've seen your lass Stu.....I'll just give you the money....I'm being told the hammer price was below the reserve. Will await the confirmation of that.

I've seen your lass Stu.....I'll just give you the money....I'm being told the hammer price was below the reserve. Will await the confirmation of that.
Seemed fine at the time mate but I’m sure all will be revealed :)

Read a few people keeping ticket stubs. Do that myself for gifs and blades matches..
Got them in old photo albums. Sorting them out other week and found my ticket stub for the Udinese Anglo Italian cup game. Did anyone on here go to the away games in that tournament?

Programme Review No 5 Watford
img938.jpg

84 pages, same size as everyone else apart from us, old style, no sealed spine, inside pages of recycled paper. £3:50

Read this at Hollywood Bowl, in Watford city centre, over a Pint of Hophouse and amongst 300 Asians ten pin bowling, and two offspring who had discovered the thrill of Shove ha'penny.

A more family orientated programme than most. Not a massive content, the typeset is quite large on many of the pages but there's only Six pages of adverts which was refreshing.

Began with the Managers and Troy Deeney columns. Then 7 pages on Tom Cleverley which could have been squeezed into two.

Good content on the golden girls, (Six pages) No not a throwback to everyone's favourite grannies from the 80s but the female section at the club

Pull out magazine for the Juniors in the middle, I can't wait for Harry Hornet's Puzzle page. Did you them moves he had pre-match :oops:

Interesting article on the North East and Yorkshire Hornets but the highlight is the 14 page Golden memories section.

It sets off with Prequels XI, a look at a combined team taken from us and them over recent years with regards to events in fixtures.
Daruis Henderson takes pride of place. Others to get a place are Simon Tracey, Morgs, Jags, Paul Ifill and Danny Webber.
The programme section recalls the Watford v Hajduk Split from 1954 with an adjoining 'Where are they now' analogy.
I assumed, they were revealing the whereabouts of some silver haired gentleman who might be shacked up in a nursing home in Borehamwood but it wasn't, it was where are Hajduk Split nowadays. :rolleyes:
A couple of pages on teams that Watford played but are no longer league clubs. Thames FC and Barrow.
and finally a page on Elton, and the suggestion that a nearby road should be named Yellow Brick Road and the furore over changing the music for the arrival of the teams from Z Cars to I'm still Standing.

Our section is poor, 4 pages consisting of one of Chris Wilder, one of the squad list, the one to watch (Enda) and our star man Lunny. :D.

Rounded off with the usual stats and Academy news and their rather bizarre fantasy football league for supporters where they pick teams rather than players, apparently Wycombe wanderers are the most popular pic. Go figure.

The 39 Bound volumes, which were missing the 1898-9, the 1908-9 and the 1911-12 season which were on sale at Stacey's auction house in Essex yesterday went unsold.

Bidding reached £80000, (£96000 with buyers comission) when the hammer went down. It did not reach the reserve price set by the vendor.

The Sheffield Programme Fair
SHEFFIELD: MONDAY DECEMBER 30
at The Ballroom, Crowne Plaza Royal Victoria Hotel, Victoria Station Road, S4 7YE, 11am – 2pm Admission: £1 (u16's free)

Date changed from Sunday December 29 as the EFL unexpectedly arranged a full fixture list for the Sunday (not Saturday that weekend).

Its unfortunate, moving it to the Monday will have a negative impact in my opinion. The lads who have organized the last couple have worked very hard on expanding the fair to incorporate not only recognized dealers, but one off sellers and last years put the fair back on the path of popularity it enjoyed years ago.

If you can make it go, its not just programmes, there's all sorts tickets, books, games, Subbuteo, autographs, World cup stuff etc etc.

On the 'Behind the Scenes' videos that the club produce, I always spot O'Connell clutching a programme, as the players have a wander around the pitch, pre-warm up.

Could he be a member of the much maligned 'Carrier Bag Firm'?

On the 'Behind the Scenes' videos that the club produce, I always spot O'Connell clutching a programme, as the players have a wander around the pitch, pre-warm up.

Could he be a member of the much maligned 'Carrier Bag Firm'?

It would be brilliant if he was, I'd love to see him in the platinum suite before the game in full clobber asking if anyone had a teamsheet

It would be brilliant if he was, I'd love to see him in the platinum suite before the game in full clobber asking if anyone had a teamsheet
If we're talking stereotypes, he's more likely to be outside flogging them...along with spare tickets.

The Sheffield Programme Fair
SHEFFIELD: MONDAY DECEMBER 30
at The Ballroom, Crowne Plaza Royal Victoria Hotel, Victoria Station Road, S4 7YE, 11am – 2pm Admission: £1 (u16's free)

Date changed from Sunday December 29 as the EFL unexpectedly arranged a full fixture list for the Sunday (not Saturday that weekend).

Its unfortunate, moving it to the Monday will have a negative impact in my opinion. The lads who have organized the last couple have worked very hard on expanding the fair to incorporate not only recognized dealers, but one off sellers and last years put the fair back on the path of popularity it enjoyed years ago.

If you can make it go, its not just programmes, there's all sorts tickets, books, games, Subbuteo, autographs, World cup stuff etc etc.

i used to go to that fair from 82 to 85, it was at the Royal Vic in them days too.
i remember when the programme dealers advertised in Shoot and Match weekly and you could send off for their paperback booklet showing their stock with sale prices, Used to find it so exciting collecting programmes as a teenager.

Did the usual thing of collecting a programme for all 92 clubs in the league.
Then I collected a programme for every club United had ever played
Then I started collecting finals...from 1980 to the mid 80’s at least you could always buy the FA cup final programme from WH Smith’s on Fargate.
Ive got virtually every FA cup, league cup final from 1960 to 1993. Also got loads of European finals and Charity Shield programmes too.

Read a few people keeping ticket stubs. Do that myself for gifs and blades matches..
Got them in old photo albums. Sorting them out other week and found my ticket stub for the Udinese Anglo Italian cup game. Did anyone on here go to the away games in that tournament?
Yes mate. Of course. The Carrier Bag Firm were Represented in Piacenza & Cesena.

Hi guys I was chatting to someone from the 30 yrs of shirts thread about programmes I think I have a pretty rare modern day ish programme maybe someone on here can confirm or not and fill in with my bad memory .I think the programme was a game that was postponed against derby ? Could be wrong and usually back then the programmes were used for the re arranged match with an addendum but for some reason they were shredded ,all except 50 I believe and a reprint was done for the re arranged match I got 1 of the 50 and I think Alan scholey ( rip nice man ) got the other 49 it's in my collection somewhere but thought you guys itk might help . Thanks
UTB NBM

Hi guys I was chatting to someone from the 30 yrs of shirts thread about programmes I think I have a pretty rare modern day ish programme maybe someone on here can confirm or not and fill in with my bad memory .I think the programme was a game that was postponed against derby ? Could be wrong and usually back then the programmes were used for the re arranged match with an addendum but for some reason they were shredded ,all except 50 I believe and a reprint was done for the re arranged match I got 1 of the 50 and I think Alan scholey ( rip nice man ) got the other 49 it's in my collection somewhere but thought you guys itk might help . Thanks
UTB NBM
Yes its very rare, I got one aswell. I bought a copy from Alan, he did a deal with the commercial manager at the time! The rest got shredded. Its from 90-91 season. The re-arranged fixture had a different programme.

UTB NBM
Your right, it is rare but most genuine collectors somehow manage to get a copy. I know from recent years that United sell any boxes of postponed programmes they’ve opened and send the rest back. Scunthorpe (Xmas) and Brentford are two that jump to mind in league 1. I’m assuming a box contains 50? The further back you go the harder some can get to find if a complete new programme was issued. Wigan (81/2), and Cardiff (68/9 & 76/7) are tricky but not impossible. Wolves (55/6) & Villa (53/4) are harder but the tough ones are Portsmouth (46/7) Hull (52/3) and Ipswich (73/4). We also had a game against Cardiff (58/9) but I don’t know of anyone who has a copy, never mind seen one or know if it genuinely exists

Yes its very rare, I got one aswell. I bought a copy from Alan, he did a deal with the commercial manager at the time! The rest got shredded. Its from 90-91 season. The re-arranged fixture had a different programme.
Thanks for that palace ( ha ha ha love the quote did a deal with the commercial manager ) i think he got them from the same source as me , well not the exact source :)

UTB NBM

Your right, it is rare but most genuine collectors somehow manage to get a copy. I know from recent years that United sell any boxes of postponed programmes they’ve opened and send the rest back. Scunthorpe (Xmas) and Brentford are two that jump to mind in league 1. I’m assuming a box contains 50? The further back you go the harder some can get to find if a complete new programme was issued. Wigan (81/2), and Cardiff (68/9 & 76/7) are tricky but not impossible. Wolves (55/6) & Villa (53/4) are harder but the tough ones are Portsmouth (46/7) Hull (52/3) and Ipswich (73/4). We also had a game against Cardiff (58/9) but I don’t know of anyone who has a copy, never mind seen one or know if it genuinely exists
I have never checked or catalogued my programmes might have to do it sometime there may be some gems in there .
UTB NBM

Didn't know about that wigan postponed one! the villa 53/54 I got all the homes from that season, but not the postponed edition!!

Other recent rarities are the 2 friendlies from the China trip 2006 I think

Pretty much spot as usual from SpongeBob, although I would add Fulham from 58 into the mix, and Blackpool League Cup 62.

Thanks for that palace ( ha ha ha love the quote did a deal with the commercial manager ) i think he got them from the same source as me , well not the exact source :)

UTB NBM

Not sure that he did do a deal, the story was that Alan got himself round to Northends the printers and managed to get a box one way or the other, with the emphasis on the 'other'. :oops:;)

By the way, all the programme covers can be found on the website (see link below). Just click on whichever season you want to have a gander at. Regards Sharrow

Didn't know about that wigan postponed one! the villa 53/54 I got all the homes from that season, but not the postponed edition!!

Other recent rarities are the 2 friendlies from the China trip 2006 I think
The Villa postponed is on eBay at the moment. It’s an ex bound volume copy but I’d still expect it to sell for decent money

Back
Top Bottom