Programme Corner

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sharrowblade

Reaction score
Some people love them, some people don't bother with them and others just hit each over the head with them. I confess as a kid I fell into the final category but as time has gone on I'm now entrenched in the first.

Whether you're a programme junky or not, '£3 yer match programme' is sadly history.

Welcome to the Premier League, The new programme is £3.50.

Thought I would start with a quick review of Sunday's programme. img765.jpg

So what do you get for your extra £0.50p

On first observations not much.
Same shape and size, not against that, with a bound spine they're much better than they were a few seasons ago

I admit I love the new arty bianco print that is featured, an interesting couple of pages on the Lane revamp, and a couple of pages on Danny Hall's book, but the inside follows the same identical template as the last couple of seasons, and therefore its slightly disappointing.
It may change, but we don't have much imagination when it comes to covers, other clubs in recent seasons have gone for retro programme covers, there's been some real beauties and personally would have like to seen us do the same.
It may be because United's programme sales have actually increased over the last couple of seasons, where as many clubs sales have decreased (no doubt aligned with our success on the pitch), but I think the club has possibly missed a trick regarding the youngsters.
Some clubs do Sticker books like Panini, where you get half a dozen stickers per programme throughout the season. It may seem a slightly capitalist way of doing things, but think how many extra programmes we would shift.
Having said all that I still buy three Programmes at every home game :rolleyes::eek:

As a bit of a programme anorak, It will be interesting to see how ours compares to others in the premier League.

Some people love them, some people don't bother with them and others just hit each over the head with them. I confess as a kid I fell into the final category but as time has gone on I'm now entrenched in the first.

Whether you're a programme junky or not, '£3 yer match programme' is sadly history.

Thought I would start with a quick review of Sunday's programme. View attachment 59926

Same shape and size, not against that, with a bound spine they're much better than they were a few seasons ago

I admit I love the new arty bianco print that is featured, an interesting couple of pages on the Lane revamp, and a couple of pages on Danny Hall's book, but the inside follows the same identical template as the last couple of seasons, and therefore its slightly disappointing.
It may change, but we don't have much imagination when it comes to covers, other clubs in recent seasons have gone for retro programme covers, there's been some real beauties and personally would have like to seen us do the same.
It may be because United's programme sales have actually increased over the last couple of seasons, where as many clubs sales have decreased (no doubt aligned with our success on the pitch), but I think the club has possibly missed a trick regarding the youngsters.
Some clubs do Sticker books like Panini, where you get half a dozen stickers per programme throughout the season. It may seem a slightly capitalist way of doing things, but think how many extra programmes we would shift.
Having said all that I still buy three Programmes at every home game :rolleyes::eek:

As a bit of a programme anorak, It will be interesting to see how ours compares to others in the premier League.

Never bothered with programmes myself. I'm into ticket stubs. But a nice read anyway.

I'm tempted to buy these this season so I can say I've got them. But at the same time I could spend that £3.50 on a pint on London Road for example. I've got about 100 or so programmes upstairs mainly from the early 00's.

Haven't bought a programme for years* but I'm also tempted to get them this year, just cause it's the Prem.

I'm the same as Rusty view and prefer to save my ticket stubs.

*Actually, the last time I bought a programme (the only one I've bought in about 10 years, if not more) was the Chesterfield game in the League One promotion season. I still haven't even opened it, never mind read it.

I like the idea of a programme as I used to always get one and read it front to back as a kid, but can’t be bothered carrying it around now. I would end up losing it at games where I have a few too many afterwards.

So one to read , one to archive in a museum as a pristine collectors item, and one to leave on a desk at work for a Pork supporter ?
In seasons "a little while ago", most home programmes were printed on Gloss paper. But, there would routinely be a box or two printed on Matt paper. Carrier Bag Firm operatives would go around all the salespersons & find the Matt box. So they'd have a Gloss & a Matt for the archives.

In seasons "a little while ago", most home programmes were printed on Gloss paper. But, there would routinely be a box or two printed on Matt paper. Carrier Bag Firm operatives would go around all the salespersons & find the Matt box. So they'd have a Gloss & a Matt for the archives.

Big fan of Matt I introduced 10% sheen lacquer for the timber furniture I make over 20 years ago, highlights the beauty in the grain of the timber so much better. Gloss is for bling lovers.

Think 3.50 for 100 pages is fantastic.
Just like our ticket pricing is.

My pride and joy is one from the pig's v Santos signed by Pele.

There isn’t a compelling reason to buy them- that’s the problem.

Back in the day they contained information that disadvantaged you if you didn’t have one. Like the half-time scores (cryptically games were on a lettered scoreboard and you had to buy a programme to know which letter represented which game - Wednesday’s game was always “A” though).

They were locally produced and all about us.

They weren’t full of adverts.

They had great photos of our last home game.

I’m not against the modern day programme. It has good information if you are looking to have your drains power-flushed for example.

There isn’t a compelling reason to buy them- that’s the problem.

Back in the day they contained information that disadvantaged you if you didn’t have one. Like the half-time scores (cryptically games were on a lettered scoreboard and you had to buy a programme to know which letter represented which game - Wednesday’s game was always “A” though).

They were locally produced and all about us.

They weren’t full of adverts.

They had great photos of our last home game.

I’m not against the modern day programme. It has good information if you are looking to have your drains power-flushed for example.
Weren't full of adverts?

Thought I would start with a quick review of Sunday's programme. View attachment 59926

Interesting that sales have increased over recent seasons. Would be interested to see the stats of sales vs average attendance vs programme price.

I buy one, have a glance at it and throw it away when I get home, the profit goes to the club anyway so I don't look at it as value for money

Does anyone know where I can get hold of Sundays programme ?
There was a tribute in it to my friend who we lost recently but I didn't find out till during the game

There was a tribute in it to my friend who we lost recently but I didn't find out till during the game

Any leftover will be in the club shop.

Alternatively, Foxy may have a spare.

Thought it was decent.

Definitely more stuff in it, especially club history wise.

Not for everyone but £3.50 seems alright to me.

Any idea why Sharp has red shorts on, on the cover? Or when we played in that combo?

Any idea why Sharp has red shorts on, on the cover? Or when we played in that combo?

Just a filter, the black bits are tinted red, apart from the shirt and the shadows on his face. You can see the shade on his legs is red too.

Wilf's legs are blue.

If you never had the great pleasure of visiting Alan Scholey's ''City Programmes'' shop on Shalesmoor back in the late 80s/early 90s you've missed out.
His brother Pete was a United photographer in the mid70s, for those of you who have programmes from that era.

If you're struggling you can have mine. I saw a tribute in there to a lad I played in a couple of Football Aid games at the Lane with, didn't realise he had passed away and was absolutely gutted to read that.

Hope you get one buddy.

Back in the day, the club shop used to sell a few. Wondered if that might still be the case?

If you're struggling you can have mine. I saw a tribute in there to a lad I played in a couple of Football Aid games at the Lane with, didn't realise he had passed away and was absolutely gutted to read that.
Yeah that's my mate Lee

Back
Top Bottom