Player Suggestion Premier League Recruitment

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Crystal Palace are rumoured to be offering £80m for Grealish - as a replacement when/if Zaha leaves in the summer.

What would we have - £50m to fund 4/5/6 players if we get up?

Hope Paul Mitchell has been busy !

UTB

Assuming, if we do go up, we'd keep playing the 3-4-1-2 (maybe 352 with a flat central midfield 3 for tougher games?), I'd like to see us sign:

First choice GK: preferably Deano, on loan again more likely than permanent, but permanent would be fantastic!

First choice RCB: honestly, I'm not too sure about this, I reckon Bash would step up a fair bit better than most people expect him to - but I could see Wilder using Bash more often as part of a midfield 3 (flanking Norwood, like he did against Leeds away this year and Pigs away last year). If so, we'll definitely need a new first-choice RCB, and I'm going to nominate Reece James (loan) here. Admittedly, I haven't seen Wigan play much, and I know he's been playing either as an RB or CM, mainly - but he's a decent height (6 ft ish) and seems to be a good player both offensively and defensively, so I reckon he would adapt to the new position and suit our notorious overlapping centre-back system quite nicely... I'd also offer Cranie a year's extension as back-up, because why not?

Back-up LCB: not sure who to suggest here, but since Kean Bryan has barely played, I assume we'd sign someone here. They'd have to be left-footed, and have to be content playing second fiddle to JOC. Any old-hands with PL experience that fit the bill? I'll put forward Maxime le Marchand - plays for Fulham, who've had an awful defence this season, but this guy's looked pretty decent to me, can play left-back too (not sure about LWB), could be worth a shout.

First choice RWB: I'd keep Baldock as back-up/rotation and move Freeman on, probably. Matt Lowton was suggested by a couple of others, and I think he'd be perfect. He likes to attack, is home-grown, has good PL experience, has fallen out of favour at Burnley so might be available - would be a cracking signing, I reckon.

Back-up LWB: again, I'm not sure who to suggest, but I'm not sure Marvin Johnson would cut it in the PL... Maybe Rico Henry? He's young, looks to have a lot of potential, would suit our system well I think - and we've had good fortune with Brentford defenders in the past!

Back-up/rotational CM: I have a feeling we'll keep one of Coutts/Lundstram and let the other go - so we'd either be looking at a deep lying playmaker or a box-to-box midfielder. For the former, Ryan Woods or John Swift would be great - for the latter, honestly, I think Adam Reach would be perfect, could cover LWB too (and our recent ex-Pig signings have mostly done really well). However, I reckon we'd keep Lunny and release Couttsy (sadly), so I'll say John Swift would be our big midfield signing.

Rotational CAM: Duffy's great, but not getting any younger, so we need an alternative here. Dowell (loan) would be a decent option, but if we were to buy someone permanently, I'd like to see us get Luke Freeman - he seems to have a similar playing style to Duffy, so could be his perfect long-term replacement.

2 * first-choice/rotational CFs: perhaps an unpopular choice, but I'd look to sign Gary Madine permanently - I'd hope to see us use him more as a bench option than a starter, but sometimes it would definitely be helpful to have a target-man and play more directly, given the quality of some of the PL teams in possession. The other striker would need to be someone more dynamic: Bowen, Maupay and Robinson would all be exciting options, but I'd like to see us resign Che Adams - pacy, powerful, and probably still got a lot of room to improve; he wouldn't be cheap, but the sell-on clause could perhaps help us afford him.

So (I might have gone slightly overboard) 8 or 9 new signings (a couple of them on loan), but only 4 or 5 new starters - team chemistry, togetherness and familiarity with our system are some of our strong points, so I don't think there should be too much upheaval. Just need to add a bit of extra quality, leaving our squad looking something like this:

GK: Henderson, Moore
RCB: R.James, Basham, Cranie
CB: Egan, Stearman
LCB: O'Connell, Le Marchand
RWB: Lowton, Baldock
LWB: Stevens, R.Henry
RCM: Norwood, Swift
LCM: Fleck, Lundstram
CAM: Freeman, Duffy
RCF: McGoldrick, Madine
LCF: Adams, Sharp

Like some of your suggestions, not sure on others.

One point of contention: isn't swift more of a no. 10?

Position
Player Suggestion
(Backup)

GK
Dean Henderson
(Alex Smithies)

RCB
Liam Moore
Mavropanos (Loan)

RWB

Reece James
(Matt Lowton)

CDM
Philip Billing
(Leroy Fer)

CAM
Luke Freeman
(Ebere Eze)

CF
Che Adams
Karlan Grant
(Oliver McBurnie)
(Michael Obafemi (Loan))

That phill billing would be quality

Think we should go for the best young talent like Bowen/Watkins etc

Then if we’re up shit creek money wise we have players to sell not some 30 odd has been on 50 k who no one wants

Crystal Palace are rumoured to be offering £80m for Grealish - as a replacement when/if Zaha leaves in the summer.

What would we have - £50m to fund 4/5/6 players if we get up?

Hope Paul Mitchell has been busy !

UTB
It will be peanuts for players. Owners will be happy with windfall of relegation then blowing it all trying o take it off each other.

Depends what Investment Prince and McCabe have because that £170m+ doesn't come near us until the end of net season that is if we get there lol

I'd like to see a couple of proven Premiership players come through the door. I'm not sure this strategy will be implemented though as it'll be seen as a gamble. A gamble financially I mean as returns will only be received through Premiership survival as oppose to sell on figures.
Whatever happens I'm sure CW will do his best to secure the players he believes will do the job.

I think Wilder will have learnt from his experiment in our first season back in the Championship - he largely signed players from L1/L2 that he thought could step up, which didn't quite work, apart from a couple of exceptions. Season 2, he signed proven Championship players - that looks like it's worked an absolute treat.

Dean Henderson - Loan
Reece James - Loan
Calum Chambers - Loan
Philip Billing - Buy
Luke Freeman - Buy
Callum Robinson - Buy
Oli McBurnie - Buy
Shane Long - Buy

That would do for me.

But only if we go up - WE HAVE TO BEAT IPSWICH FIRST.

Dean Henderson - Loan
Reece James - Loan
Calum Chambers - Loan
Philip Billing - Buy
Luke Freeman - Buy
Callum Robinson - Buy
Oli McBurnie - Buy
Shane Long - Buy

That would do for me.

But only if we go up - WE HAVE TO BEAT IPSWICH FIRST.

Wouldn't touch Long or McBurnie if we went up. We need goals and Long doesn't provide them unfortunately, he's like an upgrade on Matty Done. McBurnie I just don't rate, despite his record. Callum Robinson I'd deffo be looking at, Karlan Grant too, but doubt Hudders would sell.

Don't think Chambers is an upgrade either....and he'd come at a sizeable cost. (unless you mean as a RCB...in which case I agree, but would be costly still).

Wouldn't touch Long or McBurnie if we went up. We need goals and Long doesn't provide them unfortunately, he's like an upgrade on Matty Done. McBurnie I just don't rate, despite his record. Callum Robinson I'd deffo be looking at, Karlan Grant too, but doubt Hudders would sell.

Don't think Chambers is an upgrade either....and he'd come at a sizeable cost. (unless you mean as a RCB...in which case I agree, but would be costly still).

Long could score more for us, and McBurnie would be a good investment - he's still only 22. Looks a bit like Jon Stead too, which is important.

If we go too far beyond the likes of Long and McBurnie we're likely to be looking at unaffordable wages. The lack of outstanding striker suggestions tells its own story.

Chambers would be perfect in midfield but is also comfortable at CB and probably RB/RWB. Agree he'd be expensive and difficult to get, but it would be a big one if we could.

Long could score more for us, and McBurnie would be a good investment - he's still only 22. Looks a bit like Jon Stead too, which is important.

If we go too far beyond the likes of Long and McBurnie we're likely to be looking at unaffordable wages. The lack of outstanding striker suggestions tells its own story.

Chambers would be perfect in midfield but is also comfortable at CB and probably RB/RWB. Agree he'd be expensive and difficult to get, but it would be a big one if we could.

Long would be on decent wages I'd guess. McBurnie would be attainable and is a good age, but his overall game needs improvement. He only seems to do anything in the six yard box and we have one of those already.

Robinson is one player I'd love to get, real pace and direct, skilful too and energetic. I'd also get Che back too if we could, improved his game 5 fold since we last saw him. Same looking at Grant too.

Jota, Freeman, Canos would be superb additions in the Duffy role and all have age on their side by comparison.

Chambers is a great suggestion for RCB btw, played RB and Centre half often for Arsenal, so ideal for this position. I do think he lacks composure on the ball and his passing is erratic. Billing is another i'd like for this position and he's also decent enough in Midfield.

Go grab the younger players from the champ, they always seem to appreciate irrespective of their performances, purely because 'they're premier league'.

Long would be on decent wages I'd guess. McBurnie would be attainable and is a good age, but his overall game needs improvement. He only seems to do anything in the six yard box and we have one of those already.

Robinson is one player I'd love to get, real pace and direct, skilful too and energetic. I'd also get Che back too if we could, improved his game 5 fold since we last saw him. Same looking at Grant too.

Jota, Freeman, Canos would be superb additions in the Duffy role and all have age on their side by comparison.

Chambers is a great suggestion for RCB btw, played RB and Centre half often for Arsenal, so ideal for this position. I do think he lacks composure on the ball and his passing is erratic. Billing is another i'd like for this position and he's also decent enough in Midfield.

Go grab the younger players from the champ, they always seem to appreciate irrespective of their performances, purely because 'they're premier league'.
Billing is left footed so could potentially cover Lcb. Don't think he's ever played in defence though?

Reece James - loan
Dean Henderson - loan
Aaron Mooy - permanent/loan
Philip Billing - permanent
Neal Maupay - permanent
Michael Hector - permanent
Joe Lolley - permanent

For me:

Che Adams: We have a 20% discount on him and Birmingham are stuffed financially, 10 million should get him

Lowton: He'd be an upgrade at RWB and not too expensive

Jagielka: for cover, experience maybe a part coaching role)

Henderson: Hopefully a loan to buy deal, don't want us forking out 15 million on him yet

Guendouzi: Cheeky loan bid? Need to toughen up the midfield, and he's a classy player anyway

---

These players shouldn't disrupt the harmony and be paid too much.

Dowell I'm 50/50 on, we are only allowed two Premier League loans in the PL

I can't think of a No.10 creative, Duffy type player available within our likely budget other than Pablo Hernandez.

It'd be a short term type signing due to his age but a very good one, i would imagine any premier league club willing to take a punt on him he'd be willing to listen to offers. Of course all this assuming we go up and Leeds Utd don't.

some of these suggestions are good for the championship, Premier League players if we get there? not so sure

Made a list last night out of pure excitement if we went up, not sure how realistic any of these are but depending who gets relegated here’s a few suggestions, some loan some permanent,
Strikers: Madine, McBurnie, Maupay, Ings, Austin, Zohore
Wingers (not had the under Wilder but would like to see one or 2 if we get promoted: Dan James, Callum Robinson, Lolley, Snodgrass, O’Dowda
Attacking Midfield: Eze, Freeman, Swift, Knockaert
Midfield: Cairney, Woods, Chambers
Centre Back: Ben Davies, Konsa, Dunk, Mawson
Wingback: Da Silva, Henry, Targett, Joe Bryan, Fredericks
Keeper: Henderson, Etheridge (still wish we bought him when he was at Walsall), Westwood (if it was for the right wages and a back up)

Wouldn’t want to change too much of the team, want to follow the paths of Bournemouth, Burnley and Wolves and keep the core of the squad.

On the basis that Cardiff spent between around £40-50m, I'd hope (wishful thinking?) that we would be able to spend the same. That being said, I'd aim for the following players:

GK - Dean Henderson (Loan) - £2m
RCB - Mason Holgate/Filkayo Tomori (Loan) - £2m
LCB - Brendan Galloway - £4.5m
RWB - Reece James (Loan) - £2m
LWB - Jake Bidwell - £3.5m
CDM - Kamohelo Mokotjo - £7m
MC - Nick Powell - Free
AMC - Mason Mount (Loan) - £4m
ST - Callum Robinson - £6m
ST - Yakou Méïté - £9m

With regards to loan players I mentioned, there's 2 caveats: Firstly, most of them are from Chelsea, who are about to enter a transfer embargo and may wish to keep hold of some of them. Secondly, I have no idea how much loan fees are, above figures are obviously a complete guess.

I'd like to see a couple of proven Premiership players come through the door.

"Proven" PL players don't go to newly promoted teams who are favourites for the drop mate, unless you're willing to pay obscene amounts of money.

Made a list last night out of pure excitement if we went up, not sure how realistic any of these are but depending who gets relegated here’s a few suggestions, some loan some permanent,
Strikers: Madine, McBurnie, Maupay, Ings, Austin, Zohore
Wingers (not had the under Wilder but would like to see one or 2 if we get promoted: Dan James, Callum Robinson, Lolley, Snodgrass, O’Dowda
Attacking Midfield: Eze, Freeman, Swift, Knockaert
Midfield: Cairney, Woods, Chambers
Centre Back: Ben Davies, Konsa, Dunk, Mawson
Wingback: Da Silva, Henry, Targett, Joe Bryan, Fredericks
Keeper: Henderson, Etheridge (still wish we bought him when he was at Walsall), Westwood (if it was for the right wages and a back up)

Wouldn’t want to change too much of the team, want to follow the paths of Bournemouth, Burnley and Wolves and keep the core of the squad.

Think some of those suggestions are realistic, though I'd guess the ones in bold are out of our reach in terms of fee and/or wage demands.

Dan James and Zahore are really good shouts though, IMO.

"Proven" PL players don't go to newly promoted teams who are favourites for the drop mate, unless you're willing to pay obscene amounts of money.

I was thinking of the likes of... Wait for it... Gary Cahill perhaps. As in played no games at all for Chelsea this season and is out of contract in the summer. Would his experience around the training ground, dressing room and pitch be worth a punt? I don't know... Would he be stepping on Egan's toes? Again I don't know... But I was thinking a blend of experience and youth would be the tonic.

I think last year CW and his staff got it right with signings, they looked to strengthen and didn't just bring in any old rubbish. If we do this again then I'll be happy.

Think some of those suggestions are realistic, though I'd guess the ones in bold are out of our reach in terms of fee and/or wage demands.

Dan James and Zahore are really good shouts though, IMO.

I was thinking of the likes of... Wait for it... Gary Cahill perhaps. As in played no games at all for Chelsea this season and is out of contract in the summer. Would his experience around the training ground, dressing room and pitch be worth a punt? I don't know... Would he be stepping on Egan's toes? Again I don't know... But I was thinking a blend of experience and youth would be the tonic.

I think last year CW and his staff got it right with signings, they looked to strengthen and didn't just bring in any old rubbish. If we do this again then I'll be happy.

Not a chance, he turned down Juve in the summer, makes me think he's happy just staying in England picking up his monster wage rather than playing football.

If he was playing regularly (and then released end of the season) then perhaps, but he'd want 50k+ and I don't even think he'd replace Egan and he isn't mobile/attacking enough to play the other two positions.

On the basis that Cardiff spent between around £40-50m, I'd hope (wishful thinking?) that we would be able to spend the same. That being said, I'd aim for the following players:

GK - Dean Henderson (Loan) - £2m
RCB - Mason Holgate/Filkayo Tomori (Loan) - £2m
LCB - Brendan Galloway - £4.5m
RWB - Reece James (Loan) - £2m
LWB - Jake Bidwell - £3.5m
CDM - Kamohelo Mokotjo - £7m
MC - Nick Powell - Free
AMC - Mason Mount (Loan) - £4m
ST - Callum Robinson - £6m
ST - Yakou Méïté - £9m

With regards to loan players I mentioned, there's 2 caveats: Firstly, most of them are from Chelsea, who are about to enter a transfer embargo and may wish to keep hold of some of them. Secondly, I have no idea how much loan fees are, above figures are obviously a complete guess.

Nick Powell absolutely. Free, not huge wages and a total no brainer from a financial perspective.

Not sure we'd get Robinson for 6m (I do like him a lot), when you consider they sold Hugill for 12?
Some very good shouts there though, Holgate would be a superb addition.

Not a chance, he turned down Juve in the summer, makes me think he's happy just staying in England picking up his monster wage rather than playing football.

If he was playing regularly (and then released end of the season) then perhaps, but he'd want 50k+ and I don't even think he'd replace Egan and he isn't mobile/attacking enough to play the other two positions.

Doesn't have to be Cahill. Just someone with that kind of experience who's days at their current club might be numbered. Jags is another one perhaps.

Doesn't have to be Cahill. Just someone with that kind of experience who's days at their current club might be numbered. Jags is another one perhaps.

I see what you mean with experience and I agree it's important.

However these guys would require top top dollar and I don't think they'd add much other than an experienced head in the dressing room.

I see what you mean with experience and I agree it's important.

However these guys would require top top dollar and I don't think they'd add much other than an experienced head in the dressing room.

Yeah that's all I'm getting at. Just like us bringing in Norwood this year.
I guess CW and his team will look at who can do the job in the Prem, those that are good back up and those that will be let go. After that a list of targets will be drawn up and we can all start to get excited... Or not as the case may be! Haha
It looks to me that our main targets will be a GK, CB, RWB, AM, ST... Will be interesting to see who we go for.

I understand what you're saying but Cahill's wages will likely be in excess of £100k a week. Same problem with Jagielka, to a lesser extent (as well as his age.)

If we could get that calibre of player on a short contract of under £30k, and willing to be deputy to Egan then great, but I just don't think it's realistic.

Nick Powell absolutely. Free, not huge wages and a total no brainer from a financial perspective.

Not sure we'd get Robinson for 6m (I do like him a lot), when you consider they sold Hugill for 12?
Some very good shouts there though, Holgate would be a superb addition.

Robinson's in his last year so he'll be a knock down price. Preston, I imagine, would rather sell him for a big profit than see him walk for free.

I really like Holgate too. Local, physical, versatile and got an impressive delivery on him too.

Back
Top Bottom