Premier League Finances - Club-by-club

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

mattbianco1

Forum Royalty
Reaction score
Last edited:

How can Man city get £57m per matchday? I don't get that

Interesting article in the Guardian showing a club-by-club financial breakdown.

Huddersfield have the lowest wage bill at £63m per annum.

Really is an eye opener to how much money it takes to run a PL club. But also how much revenue comes with it:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...guide-2017-18-accounts-manchester-united-city

Sort of ends the discussion around how shit our proposed transfer budget is. A wage bill of c.£60m soon swallows the £100m revenue bonanza you get.

How can Man city get £57m per matchday? I don't get that

"The size of City’s sponsorships from Etihad and other Abu Dhabi companies in 2012 and 2013 (when the total was £143m) have been referred for judgment at Uefa. Last year commercial revenues were £232m, second only to United’s. Sheikh Mansour put a further £58m into City; his total since 2008 is now £1.3bn."

WOAH !!

I assumed that was income over the season, as it works out on average £57 a ticket

City have one of the cheapest match day tickets and season tickets in England. But of course that number will be including food and drink.

Sort of ends the discussion around how shit our proposed transfer budget is. A wage bill of c.£60m soon swallows the £100m revenue bonanza you get.

Completely right mate, it's just figures, macro budgets if you like, so it tends to send a rush of blood to the head and cause all manner of confused thinking.
If I recall, I thinkPinchy has said something identical to your comment.

I recently read a piece about Leicester. Their current transfer targets seem to be in the mid £20 millions, they've steadily built, bought intelligently and wisely, and over the next season or two they're attempting to edge their way into the top six of the Premiership. Healthy caution, with the realisation of where we are, will be the approach we'll follow, or should do if we want to make sure we don't implode with an abundance of financial obligation causing us to sink.....which leads me onto whoever takes control of the Blades and what their intentions are and whether they have the resources to support Wilder's team building.

I was always amazed that the financial issues with man city have reared their head now, because I was talking about this years ago. when I believe the guy who owns man city also owns etihad airways. so when etihad paid 400m for naming rights & shirt sponsor, he was effectively paying himself.

Completely right mate, it's just figures, macro budgets if you like, so it tends to send a rush of blood to the head and cause all manner of confused thinking.
If I recall, I thinkPinchy has said something identical to your comment.

I recently read a piece about Leicester. Their current transfer targets seem to be in the mid £20 millions, they've steadily built, bought intelligently and wisely, and over the next season or two they're attempting to edge their way into the top six of the Premiership. Healthy caution, with the realisation of where we are, will be the approach we'll follow, or should do if we want to make sure we don't implode with an abundance of financial obligation causing us to sink.....which leads me onto whoever takes control of the Blades and what their intentions are and whether they have the resources to support Wilder's team building.

Indeed, recruitment is key. Identify within your budget, players that will improve things but also have potential resale value. Budgets increase with year on year PL membership, supplemented by sales. In the case of Leicester, they've bought and sold generally quite well, possibly with a £40m+ fee for Maguire this summer. Buy young potential, develop them improving your position and get the big fees if they are offered..

It won't end it though and the "spend more muneh" brigade won't be happy unless all Premier League income is spent.

To underline the financial committment involved, the article states that Stoke owe the Coates family £122m and that Brighton owe their owner a staggering £223m!

The Premier League may be the promised land for income, but also for player and agent costs. It is very easy to lose large sums of money.

Interesting article in the Guardian showing a club-by-club financial breakdown.

Huddersfield have the lowest wage bill at £63m per annum.

Really is an eye opener to how much money it takes to run a PL club. But also how much revenue comes with it:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...guide-2017-18-accounts-manchester-united-city

EDIT - just noticed these are last season's accounts. New article though
63 million for that crap?? ok they're not crap obviously but they're pretty run of the mill. unbelievable

It won't end it though and the "spend more muneh" brigade won't be happy unless all Premier League income is spent.

To underline the financial committment involved, the article states that Stoke owe the Coates family £122m and that Brighton owe their owner a staggering £223m!

The Premier League may be the promised land for income, but also for player and agent costs. It is very easy to lose large sums of money.

They aren't alone. Wolves and others could be owing far more than that if and when relegation happens. In some ways, with the current regime a pig promotion could be the worst thing ever for them as a club. Imagine the transfer fees and salaries Chansiri would agree for has-been PL players?

I was always amazed that the financial issues with man city have reared their head now, because I was talking about this years ago. when I believe the guy who owns man city also owns etihad airways. so when etihad paid 400m for naming rights & shirt sponsor, he was effectively paying himself.
City aren't sponsored by the local butcher . they're sponsored by a nation.

And like the majority of soft loans it’s on the books for accounting purposes. I doubt either the Coates family or Tony Bloom ever expect to recover all of it, in the same way KM probably didn’t or the bloke that used to own Bolton who wrote off about £180m before he cashed his chips.

A lot of the Brighton loans were to get them out of the championship and (I think) to pay for the Amex.

Swansea £91 million wage bill
West Brom £92 million wage bill
Stoke City £94 million wage bill
Huddersfield £63 million wage bill
Burnley £82 million wage bill
Brighton £78 million wage bill

And some think it'll be ok to increase ours to around £20 million :D:D:D:D:D:D

Swansea £91 million wage bill
West Brom £92 million wage bill
Stoke City £94 million wage bill
Huddersfield £63 million wage bill
Burnley £82 million wage bill
Brighton £78 million wage bill

And some think it'll be ok to increase ours to around £20 million :D:D:D:D:D:D

It's already above £20m isn't it?

Seriously I suspect there are some substantial promotion bonuses to be paid, making a totally uneducated guess 29 million

Seriously I suspect there are some substantial promotion bonuses to be paid, making a totally uneducated guess 29 million

Aye, maybe over £30m with new signings, didn't it go from around £10m when we were in league one, to £19m 17/18? Would suggest we're not as tight as Topplayersleave thinks.

Interesting figures. Most clubs appear to spend between 50% (Huddersfield) and 60% (Arsenal) of turn over on wages.
Clubs that you might say would be perhaps comparable to us in terms of crowds/likely income are I would suggest the following with turnover in brackets:

Bournemouth (135)
Brighton (139)
Burnley (139)
Crystal Palace (150)
Huddersfield (125)
Stoke (127)
Watford (128)
WBA (125)

If we follow the wages pattern then we might expect to have to budget to spend around £70-75 mill on wages next season. Obviously this doesn't include transfer fees. Assuming a turn over for us of say £130 mill it would leave around £55 mill if we spent all our income which would not be prudent. and which we are not likely to do. We know that we also need to spend money on the ground and training facilities (and academy?) to bring those up to PL standards so not that much left for transfer fees you would think.

Interestingly each of the 3 relegated clubs spent much more than the average of between 50 & 60% on wages: Stoke (74%), Swansea (71%) and WBA (74%). Didn't do them any good in the 2017/18 season or their season in the Championship.

The only other clubs to spend over 60% of turnover on wages were Bournemouth 76%, Palace 78%, Everton 77%, Leicester 75% and Soton 74%.

Food for thought?

Interesting figures. Most clubs appear to spend between 50% (Huddersfield) and 60% (Arsenal) of turn over on wages.
Clubs that you might say would be perhaps comparable to us in terms of crowds/likely income are I would suggest the following with turnover in brackets:

Bournemouth (135)
Brighton (139)
Burnley (139)
Crystal Palace (150)
Huddersfield (125)
Stoke (127)
Watford (128)
WBA (125)

If we follow the wages pattern then we might expect to have to budget to spend around £70-75 mill on wages next season. Obviously this doesn't include transfer fees. Assuming a turn over for us of say £130 mill it would leave around £55 mill if we spent all our income which would not be prudent. and which we are not likely to do. We know that we also need to spend money on the ground and training facilities (and academy?) to bring those up to PL standards so not that much left for transfer fees you would think.

Interestingly each of the 3 relegated clubs spent much more than the average of between 50 & 60% on wages: Stoke (74%), Swansea (71%) and WBA (74%). Didn't do them any good in the 2017/18 season or their season in the Championship.

The only other clubs to spend over 60% of turnover on wages were Bournemouth 76%, Palace 78%, Everton 77%, Leicester 75% and Soton 74%.

Food for thought?

Not a chance in hell our wage bill will be £70m.

Wilder has already said that no-one's getting a new contract, but they have lifts in them for Promotion, and yes we'll be getting new players in but it's going to be at a reasonable rate.

They'd have to be some bloody good lifts to almost quadruple our wage bill in one season.

Not a chance in hell our wage bill will be £70m.

Wilder has already said that no-one's getting a new contract, but they have lifts in them for Promotion, and yes we'll be getting new players in but it's going to be at a reasonable rate.

They'd have to be some bloody good lifts to almost quadruple our wage bill in one season.

You may be right but they will all have had a pay rise since promotion so may be on same contract but a lot more pay. I am sure Wilder will work his magic with the finances but when even Hudders were paying £63 million (up from £22 mill.) in what would have been their first year in the PL then we are likely to exceed that figure I think.

City have one of the cheapest match day tickets and season tickets in England. But of course that number will be including food and drink.

Yeh, and famously those 50,000 love the food and drink so much that the burger stands alone make £30m every matchday.

Or it's maybe that City openly cheat the rules. What a fucking abhorrent club they have become since being injected by all that blood money.

Yeh, and famously those 50,000 love the food and drink so much that the burger stands alone make £30m every matchday.

Or it's maybe that City openly cheat the rules. What a fucking abhorrent club they have become since being injected by all that blood money.

Per season.

City ticket prices are between £30 and £60, plus they probably have a lot of hospitality sales, which will be easily £250.

Per season.

City ticket prices are between £30 and £60, plus they probably have a lot of hospitality sales, which will be easily £250.

It's a pretty open secret that they actively find ways of getting around FFP by inflating sponsorship deals and massaging their financial figures. In fact, since it was leaked they didn't even bother to deny it. It's astonishing.

Back
Top Bottom