Roy's View From... Pre-match View From Arsenal

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That first one- the parallels between Herbert Chapman and Chris Wilder are astounding even at this early stage in Wilder's career.

I don't think we'll be winning the title three times in a row but overlapping centre backs are a whole lot sexier than hoof and all the other dross we were subjected to during the Six Years.
Chapman never won 3 league titles in a row. He won 1923-24 and 1924-25 at Huddersfield before going to Arsenal in summer 1925. Cecil Potter was the manager when Huddersfield won the league in 1925-26. He won the league at Arsenal in 1930-31 and 1932-33 before he died in January 1934

Chapman never won 3 league titles in a row. He won 1923-24 and 1924-25 at Huddersfield before going to Arsenal in summer 1925. Cecil Potter was the manager when Huddersfield won the league in 1925-26. He won the league at Arsenal in 1930-31 and 1932-33 before he died in January 1934
I was at Kiveton Park colliery many years ago speaking to the then Safety Officer. We talked about work then the conversation turned to football. He was a big Unitedite and we rambled on about us for a while then he just said,"Do you know of Herbert Chapman?" I said yes. He then pointed out to a house across the end of the colliery yard and he simply said,"That's where he was born." Up to that point I never realised he was a local man who had made his name at one of the biggest teams in the country.

Also Herbert Chapman died relatively young, he went to a reserve match at Guildford City to do some scouting when he was suffering with a cold and should have stayed at home. He contracted pneumonia and died. Who knows what else he could have achieved

Cheers Panchero!

I was at Kiveton Park colliery many years ago speaking to the then Safety Officer. We talked about work then the conversation turned to football. He was a big Unitedite and we rambled on about us for a while then he just said,"Do you know of Herbert Chapman?" I said yes. He then pointed out to a house across the end of the colliery yard and he simply said,"That's where he was born." Up to that point I never realised he was a local man who had made his name at one of the biggest teams in the country.
There’s a bit of a write up about the Chapman family on the Kiveton Park history website. Apparently his brother was the better footballer, but made the mistake of playing for the other lot!

Also Herbert Chapman died relatively young, he went to a reserve match at Guildford City to do some scouting when he was suffering with a cold and should have stayed at home. He contracted pneumonia and died. Who knows what else he could have achieved
There’s a bit of a write up about the Chapman family on the Kiveton Park history website. Apparently his brother was the better footballer, but made the mistake of playing for the other lot!

Played in the below match but I couldnt pinpoint him

Back
Top Bottom