Pre Match Routine

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

From the USA it’s easy. Wake up, coffee, game at 9 AM.

The one time I flew over for matches was Boxing Day 2007. .

Did not know how much the city shut down on Christmas. No food at the Grosvenor House. Tried to find vending machines at the train station. Resorted to knocking on closed restaurant doors to beg for food, and some charitable place gave me a bowl of tomato soup. Ended up in a bar called the Casbah. Hazy after that, though there is a picture of me with a lit cigarette hanging out of my nose.

Saw two matches at BDTBL - blackpool and crystal palace. A lone goal from James Beattie in a draw and loss, respectively. Was in the Kop, had some kind of meat pie that was delicious. Some bar nearby had blades on the carpet inside. I framed the program and tickets and they are in my office to this day.

The BEST

I’ve developed a worrying superstition, if we don’t score early enough I go down to the back of the kop and listen for a roar to go up..

I’ve missed the first goals in quite a few games now and sadly I’m getting convinced that they won’t get the first if I’m watching.

Girl at the bar told me they weren’t open last time “there’s still 20 mins of he first half left, you know”

Then hogan scored...

My pre match routine consists of walking up the kop steps and having to wait 10mins to catch my breath.

Gets worse every game.

Obviously I watched or listened to the Blades at home this season, but just like my other sports teams I follow(NFL,NHL,etc) I tend to have a routine before they start.

For the Blades games this season, I always listened to some hard rock,especially Metallica, started drinking some nice beers about an hour before KO, had dump right before KO, and usually enjoyed some good food throughout.

Superstitious aspect of this is not washing Blades shirt I have when I first started watching Blades all the way till we clinched promotion.:D

Anyone else have a routine they do each and every matchday? Superstitious or other? Or just depends on what mood your in?
never watch the kick off
if we haven’t scored the old lass sat next to me goes for a piss.. works every time

From the USA it’s easy. Wake up, coffee, game at 9 AM.

The one time I flew over for matches was Boxing Day 2007. .

Did not know how much the city shut down on Christmas. No food at the Grosvenor House. Tried to find vending machines at the train station. Resorted to knocking on closed restaurant doors to beg for food, and some charitable place gave me a bowl of tomato soup. Ended up in a bar called the Casbah. Hazy after that, though there is a picture of me with a lit cigarette hanging out of my nose.

Saw two matches at BDTBL - blackpool and crystal palace. A lone goal from James Beattie in a draw and loss, respectively. Was in the Kop, had some kind of meat pie that was delicious. Some bar nearby had blades on the carpet inside. I framed the program and tickets and they are in my office to this day.

The BEST

Great story!

When’s the next trip over pal?

Depends on time of flight I get , but normally
Up at 4.00 and out to Dublin airport for
6.30 flight to Manchester
Try and get 5 to train ( any hour as it’s direct to Sheffield) well after stopping in Manchester and Stockport
Watch the hills and valleys with a slight pang in my heart , then hit Dore tunnel, and finally realize that I’m almost home , watch Abbeydale , Heeley , and Midland station come into view , thinking of the times I spent here in my teens ,
Drop bag off at hotel
Then meet my friends , who I went to games with over 30 years ago that are still loyal Blades fans
Normally into “Bennies “ for a few before staggering into game , sober up , ( slightly )
Before going out for a few more after game
Then coming home to Dublin , on Sunday afternoon
Missing Sheffield every fucking mile of the way , on that train
and like our Belfast Blade ( George the cat ) said wishing you could do it every week

At HT I always have a shit in the bogs at the bottom of the Kop (after layering the seat with a ridiculous amount of toilet roll of course.

While I'm sat on the throne I smoke two cigarettes and place a bet on my phone, usually us to win and Wednesday to lose if it's not already happening.

I'm not superstitious, I just like doing it.

IMG-20190413-WA0024.jpeg

Great story!

When’s the next trip over pal?

Depends on the Prem schedule. My brother is arbitrarily a Palace fan (even though our family originated from Sheffield - my middle name is Sheffield), so probably the weekend that Palace comes up.

At HT I always have a shit in the bogs at the bottom of the Kop (after layering the seat with a ridiculous amount of toilet roll of course.

While I'm sat on the throne I smoke two cigarettes and place a bet on my phone, usually us to win and Wednesday to lose if it's not already happening.

I'm not superstitious, I just like doing it.

View attachment 53951

#1 rule for Kop bog use is make sure you check the rigidity lock on the door works before you start unloading (appreciate this is difficult if you’re carrying last nights kebab like a depth charge ready to go). Unless you’re a contortionist with legs like Peter Crouch, you could find yourself being embarrassed by the half time fellow Blades.

Obviously I watched or listened to the Blades at home this season, but just like my other sports teams I follow(NFL,NHL,etc) I tend to have a routine before they start.

For the Blades games this season, I always listened to some hard rock,especially Metallica, started drinking some nice beers about an hour before KO, had dump right before KO, and usually enjoyed some good food throughout.

Superstitious aspect of this is not washing Blades shirt I have when I first started watching Blades all the way till we clinched promotion.:D

Anyone else have a routine they do each and every matchday? Superstitious or other? Or just depends on what mood your in?

None at all but if I’d had my blades shirt on whilst having a dump before kick off I’m pretty sure I’d have washed it before the next game as I always tuck my shirt into my pants to stay warm.

Back
Top Bottom