Potential Champ targets?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'd like to see us signing a couple of young up and coming Championshipt players who can start on the bench, get a few games, and hopefully grow into future first teamers.

Slightly off topic as it's not realistic but I watched the Euro U17 championships this summer and would love us to sign Naci Ünüvar from Ajax's youth team.

Jarrod Bowen could potentially be moulded for the McGoldrick role behind a striker. He could also be used in the old Duffy role if we ever were to return to it. He's a lovely attacking player, bags of talent, can run with the ball, beat men & has an eye for goal. He'd make the step up & is a good age.

Kalvin Phillips would also be an excellent signing & would come in & compete with Basham for his atta King RCB role, whilst also offering emergency cover at RWB & steel in midfield when needed. From what I've seen of him he's an athlete that's comfortable on the ball. The bonus with Phillips is that he is versatile. Basham is also reasonably versatile so with these two in the match day squad you would have plenty of cover in the defensive roles leaving more space for attacking players.

We could really do with some extra gas up front too. Someone to compete with Mousset & provide an out ball late in games. Not sure if Watkins, or Grant can fulfill the role that Robinson is failing to. Indeed, I haven't seen much of Grant but I do like the positivity of Watkins.

I'm not sure what kind of budget we have (nobody is), or of the contractual situations of the players identified but I don't think any of these lads would come cheap. I would guess Bowen £20-25m, Phillips £25-30m & Watkins £15-20m.

My personal opinion is that our eye is wondering abroad now.

Last edited:
Not Championship yet, but how about a cheeky bid for Max Aarons from Narwich...good competition for George and a more attacking option at wingback. Would wind em up more than an envious Brentford fan as well.

Not one right now.
The last time we bought for the future in the PL didn't really work out for us.
Agreed. I think CW will also have that mindset, and in my opinion he will try to get a couple of starters in, as opposed to more squad fillers. The problem is that currently, nobody's place in the team is under threat. Even the front two now seem set. The one weak area we have is goals, and so I see one creator and one striker coming in to challenge the current first eleven.

Not one right now means not one right now. Not in January, or April.

We should always aim to sign players who at least have the potential to be regulars but it's more expensive than ever to do so.

The ones likely affordable in January for what would be considered reasonable amounts are more likely to be 'possible regulars' than 'guaranteed regulars'.

Hopefully we're in a good enough position to not need to spend good money squad players.

For January, I really can’t see the point in signing another striker from the Championship. We might as well give the two we signed in the summer more time to settle before starting the process again.
I tend to lean that way too. I guess it depends on how they progress between now and then. CW gets to see them every day in training and is learning about their character and personality so can make a far better judgement than us on whether they’ll step up. If he thinks they won’t, I guess he’ll be pushing for a replacement but, as we know, he won’t spend for the sake of spending.

Would love us to go for Eze but I reckon there'll be plenty of other clubs after him too.

I’m thinking continental Europe. Someone we’ve never heard of with a hard to pronounce name.

Bowen (out of contract I believe)
Kalvin Phillips
Marty Cash
Ollie Watkins
Benhrama (to eventually replace Didzy)

Yet another Leeds game I've watched where phillips has made Dean Hammond look like ngolo Kante

In an article where Knill talked about his one Welsh cap - where he marked Van Baston no less out of the game - he spoke of how he and Wilder have long wanted a player like Koeman. Yes, don’t we all....but I thought it was telling about how they’re really hunting for a defensively strong player who’s adept on the ball. They said they’ve tried it with Bash in midfield, but the implication was it hadn’t really worked. Think that’s why we’ve been after Phillips so long.

Brannigan from Oxford would bd a cheapish punt gif a lad with potential. If like us to buy him and loan him back to a club in the first division i.e. Millers or Donnie.

Could genuinely be a premier league player this lad if he evolves.
Going to the Oxford Game next week I will have a look.

Brannigan from Oxford would bd a cheapish punt gif a lad with potential. If like us to buy him and loan him back to a club in the first division i.e. Millers or Donnie.

Could genuinely be a premier league player this lad if he evolves.
Why not buy him and loan him back to Oxford like Spurs did with Dele? They’re actually better than the two clubs you mention.

Difficult to pick anyone up from a team doing well at a reasonable price in January. If nothing else, I'd like us to be acquiring a few younger players with the potential to improve significantly.

Well that was a blast from the past, league 1 football. Utter shite, except Brannigan, he was box to box, pressed defenders, dropped deep, moved for the ball tried give and goes but no quality around him to pass it back. Great crosses from both open play and deadball. Whether he would be good enough I don't know. Oxford set up with an 1 upfront in the right channel with Brannigan 10m behind in the left channel.

What ever we do is not to sign bench warmers...... Either players to challenge the starting 11 or wait till the summer

Because we may already have players that haven't been given a chance yet that could challenge the starting 11

Back
Top Bottom