Possible Summer Targets - Premier League

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Never expected to start this thread so soon.

Goalkeepers

Dean Henderson - Hopefully permanently with a buy back clause.

Neil Etheridge
- A good alternative. Had a good season for Cardiff.

Jamal Blackman - If Chelsea fancy selling at a reasonable price I'd have him back, but not as number 1.

Defenders

Reece James - We'll undoubtedly be interested, as will others. But I don't see why we couldn't get him. There are at least two positions for him in our team and he'd play regularly.

Mason Holgate - The other obvious loan option for RWB/RCB. He'd be a great fit in both positions. Quick, athletic and good technically. Definitely one we'll consider.

Jake Cooper - Previously of interest to us. Aerially dominant and left footed. Think we're likely to go for him because he'd be upgraded competition at CB, and finally proper cover for O'Connell at LCB.

Tosin Adarabioyo - Composed ball playing defender with height and agility to go with it. Could play CB or RCB. Man City likely to loan him out again.

Matt Lowton - His defensive game will have improved at Burnley, and he might welcome the chance to come back and play in a RWB position that would suit his natural attacking instincts.

Krystian Bielik - Still contracted to Arsenal at 21, and has impressed for Charlton. Tall, agile and good on the ball. A natural defender who's been playing in midfield this season. Could be a good backup/development player for RCB and CM.

James Justin - 20 year old right back who's very comfortable at left back, where he's played this season for Luton. Another possible backup/development player. Has the attributes for wing back.

Jack Robinson - Solid player who's equally comfortable at LB or LCB. Hard to think of many for this area of the pitch given they'd only be squad players.

Greg Cunningham - See Robinson. Cardiff signed him for £3.5m from Preston, where he was very highly rated.

Midfielders

Calum Chambers - Has been one of Fulham's top performers this season in midfield having played more in defence previously. His quality on the ball has surprised me. This makes him a great option for CM or RCB. Still an Arsenal player though and may be a bit unrealistic.

Philip Billing - Tall, strong and technically good left footed central midfielder. Only 22 years old. Lot of potential. Huddersfield will probably sell for the right price.

Leandro Bacuna - Signed for Cardiff in January. Useful utility player. Athletic, versatile, hardworking and decent on the ball. Experienced at PL level but still quite young at 27. Would cover CM and RWB nicely.

Ryan Woods - Needs to leave Stoke. Very good, composed ball player who could also cover RWB.

Mo Diame - Already popular with our fans. The sort of strong all rounder we could do with. Out of contract at Newcastle. Wages might be high, but I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility.

George Saville - May be a surprising name but he's a left footed combative all round midfielder who can also cover LWB.

Luca Connell - Looked very promising as a 17 year old against us for Bolton. Comparable to Modric and Fleck. One for the long term possibly.

Jack Colback - Likely to be available from Newcastle. Would be direct Fleck competition. And another who can cover LWB.

Tom Davies - Showed a lot of promise at Everton but has stagnated. Can play deeper or more advanced. Agile, gets about the pitch well and has quality on the ball. Could be allowed out on loan.

Luke Freeman - He's ready made for the Duffy role. Skillful, clever, creative and scores goals. He's had a very good season with QPR, and has even been given the captaincy. He's stepped up a level, and I'm sure his best years are still ahead of him.

Romaine Sawyers - Skillful, versatile midfielder who links play nicely and can run with the ball. Has some similar traits to McGoldrick.

Mason Mount - Chelsea will probably want him in the PL next season. I think he's capable of filling the Duffy role, and also dropping deeper.

Alex Pritchard - Attacking midfielder with plenty of ability. Right footed ball carrier who can play wide or central. Would benefit from leaving Huddersfield. Could possibly be moulded into a Duffy type of player.

Attackers

Oliver McBurnie - A real all round centre forward. He's had an impressive goalscoring season for Swansea, with 21 league goals. Something many probably don't realise is that he's still only 22. Expect us to be interested, as I believe we were early last summer before being priced out.

Shane Long - Another previous target and likely future target. It would make complete sense. He's a decent all rounder who works hard, and is still quick. He's even started scoring again, but that could make him harder to sign.

Callum Robinson - Wide attacker who would've probably had 20 goals this season had he not missed 4 months through injury. Pacy, agile ball carrier who can play all across the line and go either way with the ball. The injury's not ideal, but this could help us get him cheaper, in addition to the fact he's into the last year of his contract. Knows Egan and Stevens from Ireland. Rumoured previous target too. Strong chance we'll be in for him. Hope so.

Sam Vokes - Proven target man at PL level. I've rated him ever since we had him on loan, and think he'd still be a good fit for us.

Karlan Grant - Huddersfield's bright spark after signing in January from Charlton for only £2m. He's one they'll fight to keep but would be the right type to go for.

Steve Mounie - Decent centre forward who's struggled a bit in a poor Huddersfield team. Proved he can score goals in his first season. Only 24. They might want to unload his wages.

Ollie Watkins - Powerful, direct goal threat who plays out wide or up front. Known to be rated by our management when he was at Exeter. Would be cheaper and more realistic than Maupay.

Harry Wilson - Very talented player with a wand of a left foot. Constant goal threat, and positionally flexible. As one of two behind a striker he'd be excellent.

Kemar Roofe - Athletic, hardworking and versatile player who I think would fit in very well here. As long as he gets fully fit again then his best is still to come.

Kenneth Zohore - An interesting one where I think 'how would he do in our team'. I think he's got the attributes for PL level but hasn't got back on his best form for Cardiff. Maintain and build his fitness, and I think he'd do well.

Gary Madine - I don't see why he couldn't be a handful in the PL, especially from the bench. We'll want someone of his ilk. Think we'll sign him.

Add your suggestions/possible signings. Think this one could go on indefinitely!

I have to praise you for this. For once, a sensible, realistic and well thought out list. It was an interesting read and actually most of those players could potentially offer something, allowing for the untested ones and a couple that I don’t agree on.

Going to Augsburg for €10m.
I saw that they were after him but didn’t know it was a done deal. Has he been on loan there this season? Would be perfect for RCB and at £8m-£9m it would be decent value for a 20(?) year old.

Callum O'dowda is a player that's impressed me for ages , would easily be able to play in endas position.

Someone with prem experience like joe Allen could be good.

Other players that are young enough and are impressing a lot in the championship

Jarrod bowen
Ryan Yates
Matty Cash
Tammy Abraham ( although Chelsea will probs give him a chance with their transfer ban)

For prem established players that would fit our ethos and budget.

Robbie Brady
Charlie Austin ( injury prone yes , but so was Mcgoldrick)
Johnny Evans. ( class for West Bromwich, can't get past maguire and Morgan)

Henderson is also a must signing.

Players outside England . Kristoph ajer absolute tank at celtic, next VVD probably not but worth a punt as he's 21.

Callum mcgreggor

Kamano from boedoux 10 goals in the league as a left winger / striker as a 22 year old .

Also how about JUANPE

Last edited:
Callum O'dowda is a player that's impressed me for ages , would easily be able to play in endas position.

Someone with prem experience like joe Allen could be could.

Other players that are young enough and are impressing a lot in the championship

Jarrod bowen
Ryan Yates
Matty Cash
Tammy Abraham ( although Chelsea will probs give him a chance with their transfer ban)

For prem established players that would fit our ethos and budget.

Robbie Brady
Charlie Austin ( injury prone yes , but so was Mcgoldrick)
Johnny Evans. ( class for West Bromwich, can't get past maguire and Morgan)

Henderson is also a must signing.

Midfield always liked Ryan Woods but Leroy Fer is out of contract at Swansea, cheaper option and we will need a combatative midfielder in the prem.

Fer is injured yet again.
CW has praised Ben Pearson of Preston before. His disciplinary problems will have lowered his price.

A classic Rocky thread if ever I saw one. Loves a transfer speculation!

The suggested names mirror what will likely be a genuine problem when we start getting business done - a worrying lack of Premier League goals.

Most of these chaps haven't played there and those that have, like Shane Long, don't score.

Bit early to list the playoff teams as any could join us plus a lot of those teams probably have a highly inflated opinion of their player's worth, so currently ignoring the top 6 and Bristol and Boro,also because the latter are just damaged goods!
Brentford - Konza, Maupay, Canos, Benrhama, Henry, Sawyers, Watkins.
Blackburn - Lenihan, Bell, Dack
Hull - Bowen, Grosicki
Swansea - Van der Hoorn, Naughton, Fer, James, Grimes, McBurnie
Reading - Moore, Swift
Millwall - Jake Cooper
Birmingham - Adams, Jota
Forest - Lolley
Preston - Davies, Robinson
Stoke - Woods
Wigan - Powell
Bolton - Connelly
Wednesday - no
Rotherham - no
Ipswich - no

The Pigs would. want top dollar from us, especially their deluded Chairman, and they don't have anyone I'd want. Westwood is injury prone. Bannan isn't an improvement. They'd ask too much for Joao who is erratic at best. Reach has as many detractors one month as fans the next and has the heart of a pea.

Bit early to list the playoff teams as any could join us plus a lot of those teams probably have a highly inflated opinion of their player's worth, so currently ignoring the top 6 and Bristol and Boro,also because the latter are just damaged goods!
Brentford - Konza, Maupay, Canos, Benrhama, Henry, Sawyers, Watkins.
Blackburn - Lenihan, Bell, Dack
Hull - Bowen, Grosicki
Swansea - Van der Hoorn, Naughton, Fer, James, Grimes, McBurnie
Reading - Moore, Swift
Millwall - Jake Cooper
Birmingham - Adams, Jota
Forest - Lolley
Preston - Davies, Robinson
Stoke - Woods
Wigan - Powell
Bolton - Connelly
Wednesday - no
Rotherham - no
Ipswich - no

The Pigs would. want top dollar from us, especially their deluded Chairman, and they don't have anyone I'd want. Westwood is injury prone. Bannan isn't an improvement. They'd ask too much for Joao who is erratic at best. Reach has as many detractors one month as fans the next and has the heart of a pea.

McBurnie and Adams are good shouts but I think that the rumours of other clubs looking to splash the cash on Adams puts him out of our range.

Lolley is another good young player.

To be honest, you lads on here must watch an awful lot more football than me, I only watch the EFL show on Quest, and then watch whoever we play at matches.

The Preston lads you mention above looked decent at Deepdale.

Long shots...

Scott McTominay - If a situation develops where he's available for loan then he'd be an excellent signing.

Phil Foden - As above, but an even longer shot.

Aaron Mooy - Could be our new 'never gives the ball away'. But expensive.

Dan James - Very fast, exciting winger but I expect interest from top 10 clubs.

Che Adams - Credit to him for developing as he has. He's in superb shape now and has learned the centre forward role. Would be so ideal for us. But probably Leicester bound.

Jarrod Bowen
- Real goalscoring attacking midfielder, but a likely £15m+ price could rule us out.

Divock Origi - Would Liverpool loan him out? To us? Doubt it. But he's the sort of athletic all round attacker we could do with.

Josh Maja - Would Bordeaux sell him? Does he want to come back to England? Would be a good investment.

Dominic Solanke - Wages? Would he pass the Arsehole Test?

Fernando Forestieri - See above! He's the right type of player though and I'd back him to do well under good management.

Long shots...

Scott McTominay - If a situation develops where he's available for loan then he'd be an excellent signing.

Phil Foden - As above, but an even longer shot.

Aaron Mooy - Could be our new 'never gives the ball away'. But expensive.

Dan James - Very fast, exciting winger but I expect interest from top 10 clubs.

Che Adams - Credit to him for developing as he has. He's in superb shape now and has learned the centre forward role. Would be so ideal for us. But probably Leicester bound.

Jarrod Bowen
- Real goalscoring attacking midfielder, but a likely £15m+ price could rule us out.

Divock Origi - Would Liverpool loan him out? To us? Doubt it. But he's the sort of athletic all round attacker we could do with.

Josh Maja - Would Bordeaux sell him? Does he want to come back to England? Would be a good investment.

Dominic Solanke - Wages? Would he pass the Arsehole Test?

Fernando Forestieri - See above! He's the right type of player though and I'd back him to do well under good management.
You made some great shouts earlier in the thread but you've gone and ruined it with this monstrosity.

And Foden.

I did say 'long shots'...

Foden could do with playing a full season of regular football. Depending on City's summer recruitment, they could loan him out. Probably to someone like Wolves or Leicester, but we'd be far from the worst place for him to go.

Wasn't he referring to him going out on loan in January? (Didn't read whole article - Adblock blocked)

He was reffering to him going out on loan - made no mention of a specific window.

Considering Foden is on the fringe of the first team, you'd would suspect he has no intention of him going out on loan next season either.

According to this article, the following players are out of contract in the summer:

Josh Vela
Josh McEachran
Jordon Archer
Alan Browne
Jake Bidwell
Mike Van Der Hoorn
Redeem Harper

Others such as Westwood and Powell have already been mentioned too

Out of all them Callum Robinson is the one I would like. Maupay if we can get him would be perfect competion for Sharp.

I think Robinson is a really great shout. He's pacy, can still be developed and offers something we don't have. 7 in 17 this season is a damn good return and financially they have to sell players so I reckon £5m + add-ons could snag him. Whether he cuts it in PL is anyone's guess but he has the right physical attributes.

I'm guessing the following will go or will fall further down the pecking order -

Stearman: we are going to need a better version of him that's obvious. If Egan gets injured we cant have him as the only back up.
Heneghan: Loan again probably
Kean Bryan: I'd be surprised if we got rid of him completely most likely will be loaned
Lafferty: Released
Freeman: Is he good enough to be Baldocks back up? Baldock does get 1 or 2 injuries a year so we will need a back up.
Carruthers: Released from rest of his contract ? Not sure where he'd go, he cant get in the Oxford squad. Possibly league two?
Ricky Holmes: Released from the rest of his contract?
Nathan Thomas: Released or loaned
Ched: Possibly could get a bit of money for him, decent signing for most league one/ lower championship teams
Leon Clarke: Again should get some money for him.
Lavery: Probably be released
Coutts: I can see him being released unfortunately

Then we've got Marvin Johnson, Madine, Dowell and Hogan all going back and I'm not sure whether we'll look to sign any of them permanently.

With that in mind I think we'll be in the market for:

Henderson
Two centre halves? Cover at central and left side
LWB and RWB cover
One central midfielder
Attacking midfielder
Two strikers?

That's 8 signings excluding Henderson that we're probably looking at. I know we're not looking to overhaul the squad and ultimately the core will remain. I think we signed a similar number when we were promoted from League one.

I think Robinson is a really great shout. He's pacy, can still be developed and offers something we don't have. 7 in 17 this season is a damn good return and financially they have to sell players so I reckon £5m + add-ons could snag him. Whether he cuts it in PL is anyone's guess but he has the right physical attributes.
£5m on an exciting young player with bags of potential, or on Gary Madine. It's a tough one!

Back
Top Bottom