Possible Summer Targets - Premier League

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The absolute stand outs for me are Reece James, Callum Robinson and Oliver McBurnie.

I'd throw everything at getting James, including a good loan fee or Liverpool style financial penalties.

Robinson and McBurnie tick all the boxes and their clubs will both need to sell.

Getting these three for under £20m in fees would give us a great start.

Couldn't agree more, the rest are class but you risk paying through the nose for them, eating into resale value, plus think we'd be outbid by established clubs, Leicester, Bournemouth and the like.

Matt Clarke at Pompey would potentially be a great signing. Hes their POTY and is a commanding defender. I watched him on the play offs closely and he will be moving on now Pompey have missed out. For the probable fee involved, i think he could be just as good as, but a whole lot cheaper than Cooper at Bristol City, or Flint at Boro.

Id be happy to see Utd going in for him. We didnt do too badly with our last signing from them either re Enda.

Jake Cooper and Matt Clarke are my two favourite options to cover CB and LCB. Cooper has the aerial dominance, but Clarke is younger and better on the ball. Quite a tough call. As I said before, CBs develop later so someone like Cooper could very easily go on to establish himself at PL level. He'd be following the exact path and timing of many others.

Ben Davies at Preston is another one who fits the bill but I think he'd be more expensive than both.

Scott McKenna at Aberdeen could be a good shout as well. Left footed 22 year old Scotland international who's attracted a lot of interest previously. He's in a financial bracket well beyond what non Celtic SPL players usually ever reach, so seems very highly rated, like McGinn was at Hibs. More expensive than Cooper and Clarke though and probably hard for us to justify.

The absolute stand outs for me are Reece James, Callum Robinson and Oliver McBurnie.

I'd throw everything at getting James, including a good loan fee or Liverpool style financial penalties.

Robinson and McBurnie tick all the boxes and their clubs will both need to sell.

Getting these three for under £20m in fees would give us a great start.

Wholly agree with most of this, but do Swansea really need to sell?

Wholly agree with most of this, but do Swansea really need to sell?

They certainly seem to want to. Bit In Paper says they need to bring in £30m. So that's £10-15m for James and......? I don't see too many who they'll want to sell or be able to get good money for at this time. McBurnie seems like the best candidate. And I think he'd like to move back to Yorkshire.

They certainly seem to want to. Bit In Paper says they need to bring in £30m. So that's £10-15m for James and......? I don't see too many who they'll want to sell or be able to get good money for at this time. McBurnie seems like the best candidate. And I think he'd like to move back to Yorkshire.

Which paper is that? Not saying it's not true, it's just I would have thought with their parachute payments and a few high earners being out of contract that they would have a bit of flexibility in the transfer market. The figure of £30m seems slightly arbitrary to me at least.

Either way, I think McBurnie is a good player and I reckon Wilder thinks so too- would be a signing I could get behind.

Which paper is that? Not saying it's not true, it's just I would have thought with their parachute payments and a few high earners being out of contract that they would have a bit of flexibility in the transfer market. The figure of £30m seems slightly arbitrary to me at least.

Either way, I think McBurnie is a good player and I reckon Wilder thinks so too- would be a signing I could get behind.

Mr 'Bit In Paper' - Nixon.

I can believe it as they do seem determined to sell recently. Cost cutting mode has definitely been engaged there.

Mr 'Bit In Paper' - Nixon.

I can believe it as they do seem determined to sell recently. Cost cutting mode has definitely been engaged there.

They definitely seem to be cutting their cloth to be fair. Not really sure what the game plan is to be honest.

We need, between us, to define what 'possible target' actually means? Free transfers? Loans? Couple million quid?

We're a PL club. We can't keep wheeling dealing. We've got to spend. Not billions. But more than the odd few hundred grand.

And yeah. I know I recommended an Espanyol youth player earlier on. But I did say back-up at that point.

Edit: having said all that, the owners don't know a budget so it's all a waste of time.

We need, between us, to define what 'possible target' actually means? Free transfers? Loans? Couple million quid?

We're a PL club. We can't keep wheeling dealing. We've got to spend. Not billions. But more than the odd few hundred grand.

And yeah. I know I recommended an Espanyol youth player earlier on. But I did say back-up at that point.

Edit: having said all that, the owners don't know a budget so it's all a waste of time.
The managers happy with the budget ,as he was last year

Think his fee would be ridiculous but is Bradley Dack worth a look? Suspect a Bournemouth-esque team who are established in the Prem would trump us in terms of pulling power, wages and transfer fee.

Last season we spent £2m and £4m on Noorwood and Egan.
I get the point you're trying to make, we can't expect to furnish a PL squad on free transfers, but why the need to make silly exaggerations?

If you listen to the interview with Bettis and Wilder, they mention that there's a budget in place to complete their objectives and bring players in - why not wait until the end of the window before throwing our proverbial toys out the pram?

Also, that was 3 years ago, in league 1. Not really that relevant, is it?

Arsenal signed Lookman from Charlton whilst they were in league 1 for £11m.
We sold DCL for £1m.

The point I'm making is that this club always undervalues players. Whether that be selling or buying. Naughton and Walker. Maguire. And Brooks. And don't tell me we "had to sell". My point is that we always have to sell, but always undersell.

If we undervalue our own players, we undervalue everyone else's.

We sold DCL for £1m.

The point I'm making is that this club always undervalues players. Whether that be selling or buying. Naughton and Walker. Maguire. And Brooks. And don't tell me we "had to sell". My point is that we always have to sell, but always undersell.

It was Everton and under £8m for their star player.

DCL was our 5th choice striker in league 1. There is no comparison between the two deals.

Brooks had 1100 minutes in the championship and wasn’t a first team regular. We got £11m +20% sell on (could be another £8m). £19m for a rotation player who has played a bit part for 1 season, which funded our promotion push, seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Last season we spent £2m and £4m on Noorwood and Egan.
I get the point you're trying to make, we can't expect to furnish a PL squad on free transfers, but why the need to make silly exaggerations?

If you listen to the interview with Bettis and Wilder, they mention that there's a budget in place to complete their objectives and bring players in - why not wait until the end of the window before throwing our proverbial toys out the pram?

3.5 million and 1.2 million.

We sold DCL for £1m.

I agree that on occasion we have seemed to get less than market value for our players - that was probably more down to our perilous financial situation (as evidenced in court) rather than the club not having realistic value for the players.

Your comparison between Lookman and Calvert-Lewin is stupid though - it's lazy, and you're only comparing them because they were both sold to Everton at a similar time, as that's where the similarities end.

At the time of sale, Lookman had played 45 games for Charlton, half of which were in the championship, and he'd scored 10 goals from the wing. He was being widely tipped as one of the best young players in the country.

DCL on the other hand had a decent spell in league 2, and only managed 11 games (without a goal) for us in league 1. He had practically no reputation in the game at that point, hence why so many of our fans were happy with the deal.

Apples and oranges mate.

I agree that on occasion we have seemed to get less than market value for our players - that was probably more down to our perilous financial situation (as evidenced in court) rather than the club not having realistic value for the players.

Your comparison between Lookman and Calvert-Lewin is stupid though - it's lazy, and you're only comparing them because they were both sold to Everton at a similar time, as that's where the similarities end.

At the time of sale, Lookman had played 45 games for Charlton, half of which were in the championship, and he'd scored 10 goals from the wing. He was being widely tipped as one of the best young players in the country.

DCL on the other hand had a decent spell in league 2, and only managed 11 games (without a goal) for us in league 1. He had practically no reputation in the game at that point, hence why so many of our fans were happy with the deal.

Apples and oranges mate.

Not entirely true on DCL with regards to his reputation in the game. He had been in the England set up whilst with us and was tracked by Man City and Everton from the age of 14.

Lloyd Kelly from Bristol City to Bournemouth for £13m. If he was our player we'd have accepted half that.

Not entirely true on DCL with regards to his reputation in the game. He had been in the England set up whilst with us and was tracked by Man City and Everton from the age of 14.

DCL didn't feature in the England set up until 1 month after his move to Everton, where he played for the England U20s. See here.

And as for being "tracked" - Man City will probabaly have more scouts in South Yorkshire than we do, they're tracking literally thousands of players. It's hardly comparable with Lookman's reputation.

Lloyd Kelly from Bristol City to Bournemouth for £13m. If he was our player we'd have accepted half that.

... in your opinion.

Lloyd Kelly from Bristol City to Bournemouth for £13m. If he was our player we'd have accepted half that.[/QUOTE]

Pure speculation.
The blades did some great business last year in my opinion.
Norwood for 1.2 was the deal of the century!

So...has anyone managed to suggest a player we might be after yet?

Got to admit, the Bristol lad seems a bit left field, being honest I’ve never heard of him, but if that points to the kinds of prices clubs will expect/receive for the best players in the championship then we really need to accept that the names mentioned repeatedly like Maupay, won’t be coming here!

We all know that the continent is much better value for money, so perhaps now is the time we will see a few arrive from outside our shores?
I still expect Wilder to let the majority of our Champ side have a crack at the prem, with perhaps the new players coming in simply replacing those that have left.
We had 2 strikers return, a midfielder and a defender who had any kind of regular action in the side/Squad. Perhaps we will look at a couple academy players to make up the squad and get the two loans plus the 4 in permanent?

With Kelly going to Bournemouth, mings will almost certainly be leaving. If villa go up I expect him to go there. If not though...

Back
Top Bottom