Poll ..Keeper v Plymouth

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Verrips or Ramsdale in goal v Plymouth

• Verrips

Votes: 249 73.0%
  • Ramsdale

Votes: 92 27.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I appreciate what you’re saying 1987 but I would expect the finished product for £18m, wouldn’t you?

I’m not sure his confidence would benefit by being told he was being taken out of the spotlight for some additional one to one, intensive goalkeeper training either?

Personally I don’t think he’ll be here for the long term, irrespective of his age, but you’re entitled to your opinion and I suppose we’ll have to wait and see?

Weve definitely not got 18 million pounds worth of keeper between the sticks currently. But i think he will be, and he is bang at the start of his career for a goalkeeper really, he could improve any amount. But like you say, time will tell.

As a side point we have got to stop holding the transfer fees of our players around their neck. Nowt good can come from it.

As for dropping him - You just have to watch his body language right now to see he doesnt have any confidence. Im not even saying intense coaching, im saying get him out of the pressure cooker, let him keep being coached come back fresh next season or even later this. He needs a break before some real clangers happen and mood totally turns on him, which looks primed to happen.

In the meantime we can get the Verrips question out of our system, one way or another.

Verrips, just to see if he's any good. He's played about 10 minutes for us before Kean Bryan KO'd him with his arse.

We're fucked anyway, may aswell take stock of what we have, see what's worth hanging on to.

With the hassle we went through to get him, he must have been worth it, although with some of our other recruitment, maybe not...

Only the mighty Blades can give away a keeper then sign him back for 18million and it turns out he’s shit.
Nah nah nah nah he’s a Blade oh he’s a Blade.

I like Ramsdale. But there’s very little to gain from playing him in these games, give Verrips a run.
hmmm little to gain from playing Ramsdale except:

he is our best keeper
playing an unknown second string player in his place whose highest level has been the Belgian second tier
risking being knocked out of the only competition we have a chance of success in
piling more pressure on our already shakey defence
a clean sheet's effect on Aaron's confidence going into future epl games

Nothing to gain at all...

Tough one. Would possibly be good to showcase one of the other two just to prove they're no better and stop this clamour for Ramsdale to be dropped.

We ain't got a barrel of money, we ain't got Tracey and Kelly.

The United of old with two strong 'keepers simply isn't the United of now. The two vying for the bench are not EPL quality irrespective of what you think of our first choice - we've essentially got a first choice and two (/three!) reasonable enough 3rd choice 'keepers. Come the summer we need to be looking to signing someone who could genuinely challenge No. 1, for the benefit of Ramsdale and the team.

I appreciate what you’re saying 1987 but I would expect the finished product for £18m, wouldn’t you?

I’m not sure his confidence would benefit by being told he was being taken out of the spotlight for some additional one to one, intensive goalkeeper training either?

Personally I don’t think he’ll be here for the long term, irrespective of his age, but you’re entitled to your opinion and I suppose we’ll have to wait and see?
He's 22 and hasn't yet played 80 league games as a pro. Of course he's not the finished article.
Keepers don't hit their peak until 28 onwards usually.

I really hope Rammers makes us all eat our words and I'm sure in time he will. However, last spring when we were looking to replace Henderson, my choice at that time was Ugurkan Cakir and the highlights of him were amazing (although you could say that with all these player highlight vids).
Wonder how he's performing this season wherever he's playing? Anyone know?

He's 22 and hasn't yet played 80 league games as a pro. Of course he's not the finished article.
Keepers don't hit their peak until 28 onwards usually.
Yeah I know that. Most keepers don't even make their first team debut until they’re 23, particularly in the Premier League.

But the point is, nobody in their right mind would spend £18m on a keeper who was not ready to step straight into the first team. Would they?

I appreciate, that the fault lays with the people who recommended him and sanctioned the transfer, not Ramsdale himself.

But it doesn’t alter the fact that he’s the one stood in our goal every Saturday afternoon in the spotlight and unfortunately when you put on them gloves you’re only ever going to be a hero or a villain. Once the whistle goes, the responsibilities and expectations are on him and he has to deal with it, whatever he cost.

Er... there are no fans in the stadium?

So you're saying his confidence is knocked by comments on this forum and we're to blame for his form?
Not exactly what I said. But if you think Ramsdale doesn't have the internet/social media, you're (obviously) mistaken.

He shouldn't have to worry about his own fans being on his back.

Great keeper going through a rough patch along with the whole team. Blaming players and finger pointing, by fans... After the 4 years we've just had, is petty and embarrassing, to be honest.

Says a lot about some fans character as human beings.

Not exactly what I said. But if you think Ramsdale doesn't have the internet/social media, you're (obviously) mistaken.

Great keeper going through a rough patch along with the whole team. Blaming players and finger pointing, by fans... After the 4 years we've just had, is petty and embarrassing, to be honest.

I think Ramsdale should spend more time practicing how to catch a ball rather than looking at the internet/social media.

This is the big league (for the time being for us), scrutiny is part and parcel of this professional industry.

If he can't handle that he's not up to it sadly.

Or would things be better if we all posted threads saying 'Ramsdale is performing really well :) '

I think Ramsdale should spend more time practicing how to catch a ball rather than looking at the internet/social media.

This is the big league (for the time being for us), scrutiny is part and parcel of this professional industry.

If he can't handle that he's not up to it sadly.

Or would things be better if we all posted threads saying 'Ramsdale is performing really well :) '
Yawn. I've got nothing better to do, but I'm still not going to engage with your boring desire to argue.

EDIT: Slightly uncalled for. But saying a top professional keeper needs to practice catching, is a pretty silly thing to say. You don't get where he is without being a phenomenal keeper.

Great keeper? Says who? What are you basing this on?

Yawn. I've got nothing better to do, but I'm still not going to engage with your boring desire to argue.

EDIT: Slightly uncalled for. But saying a top professional keeper needs to practice catching, is a pretty silly thing to say. You don't get where he is without being a phenomenal keeper.
And if you can't see that Ramsdale has a problem catching and holding simple balls into the box then I suggest you invest in a guide dog

We didn't pay £18m cash up front. Also we may never pay £18m for him. That's the max fee.

Made himself a hero in his loan spells and in Bournemouth's first team.

But immediately turned on by a section of Blades "fans" before he'd even kicked a ball this season... Now there's a pile on. I wonder if that helps the lads confidence?
Hopefully it’s £1m up front with the rest linked to ‘crosses caught’. They’d end up owing us money.

We've got four keepers on the books.

If we can't give someone else a chance in a cup game, when the current first team incumbent is in poor form and lacking any confidence, then why bother with all of them? May as well keep one for emergency injury back up and save the wage costs on the others, who must wonder what on earth would ever give them a chance to prove themselves.

I voted to give Verrips a go!

How come we can't vote for either of the other two keepers on our books? I can't understand all the fuss about Verrips, who no one has seen play for more than 10 minutes. We know that Moore is solid if unspectacular, and Foderingham is decent but has mistakes in him. Either could get a run out v Plymouth.

Saying that I'd stick with Ramsdale for reasons stated above. He is our no. 1 keeper and until that changes it's him between the sticks. No point undermining his confidence by dropping him, and keepers don't need to be 'rested'

If you guys don't realise Ramsdale is one of England's brightest goalkeeping talents, purely because of our doom and gloom season... It's not my problem. But don't make it Sheffield United and Aaron Ramsdale's problem.

hmmm little to gain from playing Ramsdale except:

he is our best keeper
playing an unknown second string player in his place whose highest level has been the Belgian second tier
risking being knocked out of the only competition we have a chance of success in
piling more pressure on our already shakey defence
a clean sheet's effect on Aaron's confidence going into future epl games

Nothing to gain at all...
I've watched United home and away for years and I haven't seen much of any of the other keepers at all. When have you seen them to dismiss them so easily ? They certainly haven't had 20 games to prove themselves like Ramsdale has.

If you guys don't realise Ramsdale is one of England's brightest goalkeeping talents, purely because of our doom and gloom season... It's not my problem. But don't make it Sheffield United and Aaron Ramsdale's problem.
He has undoubted potential given his international recognition, won't argue that. Better to drop him for a game against Plymouth than Wilder pulling him out of games against Man U, Man City etc. There are several keepers on the books why not give them time in the cup?

I've watched United home and away for years and I haven't seen much of any of the other keepers at all. When have you seen them to dismiss them so easily ? They certainly haven't had 20 games to prove themselves like Ramsdale has.
To be fair I havent either, However, we are talking about a keeper who has spent the highest echelons of his career in the belgian/netherlands second tier... we are talking League One standard, maybe even lower in some cases, and he hasnt played regularly since 18/19. When you consider the logic of it, it would be the correct assumption that Ramsdale is a far better keeper.

Imagine if we bought a League One player who hadnt played regularly for 2 years, and expected him to fill in Norwoods position immediately - uproar on here

Along with many others, i have noticed a pattern on here because we are so shite at the moment, everyone seems to have an answer to better solutions. But when those ‘solutions’ come around, we want the other option 😂 for example:

Berge - he plays = he’s shit, he’s injured= we need him back

Norwood - he’s out = bring him back, he plays = he’s shit, bring back (insert players name)

Ramsdale - he’s shit = drop him, we get knocked out of the fa cup with a shit gk = wilder dropped a clanger

Back
Top Bottom