Pointless thread but?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think the last time we finished 5th was in 1961/62 but the football authorities gave the Inter Cities Fairs Cup place to Wednesday who finished 6th.

So don't hold your breath.

Hitting the eggnog bit early AEAE!

top 3 almost sorted, Chelsea will spend big in Jan, Mourino will grind his way to a european place, Man U, Arsenal will be sniffing too.
so I reckon best of the rest, which is 8th?

however, to indulge you

i reckon we could hold our own, would love to see some of the more cultured defenders faces when Bash overlaps!

however, reality is it would fuck us up ala Burnley, IMO they still haven’t recovered from last seasons exploits

squad not big enough for 38 games plus cups, let alone euro and the travelling

but nice thought, 2 more years then we will smash it!

It was easier to get into Europe when the cup runners up qualified. Now there are too many rich clubs, and there are less places available due to the CL clubs being allowed into the Europa League for finishing 3rd in their groups. Do they still have a fair play back door (not that we'd stand a chance given our recent disciplinary woes)?

I'd love to see us in Europe. Going on an awayday anywhere in Europe would be brilliant, even for Europa League qualifying. Unfortunately we are a victim of football's popularity at home. There are lots of great clubs with fantastic stadiums and support. In other nations, Portugual, Netherlands, Denmark etc, there are just 4 or 5 big clubs (often smaller than us though) that compete in Europe most years.

I've said it before, but we are almost certainly the biggest club in Europe never to have played in a proper Europe-wide competition. Not the UEFA Cup, Cupwinners' Cup, European Cup, Europa League or Champions League. Not even the InterToto Cup. We came very close in losing to Hull at Wembley under Clough. A win would have seen us through to the Europa League as the other FA Cup finalists, Arsenal, had already qualified due to their league position. Nowadays that route (famously Millwall qualified that way) is closed.

I think the last time we finished 5th was in 1961/62 but the football authorities gave the Inter Cities Fairs Cup place to Wednesday who finished 6th.

As fair as I can tell, Wednesday were in the cup that season as they’d finished second the season before (60-61 when Spurs won the double). The season after, it was Everton who were in it.

If somehow we managed to finish 5th ,how do you think this team would compete in Europe,
Much the same as we compete here, competitively.

The thread isn’t pointless btw. Have you given up on the top 6 already? I have bouts of pessimism myself occasionally. I had one today. I almost gave up on catching Liverpool.

Much the same as we compete here, competitively.

The thread isn’t pointless btw. Have you given up on the top 6 already? I have bouts of pessimism myself occasionally. I had one today. I almost gave up on catching Liverpool.
Not given up on it, if we do manage it ,that has to be wilders greatest achievement to date .

Realistically, any club that finishes in the top 7 of the PL should be capable of progressing into the knock out stages, if they take it seriously, particularly teams that can retain possession.

No fucking way!

If that's true I'd be outraged even though it happened several years before I was born

It was easier to get into Europe when the cup runners up qualified. Now there are too many rich clubs, and there are less places available due to the CL clubs being allowed into the Europa League for finishing 3rd in their groups.

Let's just hope both cup finals are contested by 2 top 4 clubs. That generates 2 extra sides via the league.
Either that, or let's win the FA Cup

Is it possible that we didn't play as we only had a 3 sided ground then, and Wider was a ball boy?
That's where it all started. ;)

Think I remember we finished 7th many years ago, expected to be in Europe under ‘one one team per city rule (Everton and Liverpool were above us) but as usual our luck was against us and they allowed Everton in.

Ken Furphy was manager as I recall

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was about Wednesday after their points deduction.

If we manage to get into Europe, I will be worried about one of my oldest friends .
He's a pig (I'm sure there's not only me mixes with the unclean. My Dad was one)
He's a typical obsessed pig looking over the fence at us all the time.
He said we would be down by Christmas with no points.
He is now saying we will get relegated next season due to "second season syndrome".
It's genuinely killing him, if we get into Europe he may take his own life.

Think I remember we finished 7th many years ago, expected to be in Europe under ‘one one team per city rule (Everton and Liverpool were above us) but as usual our luck was against us and they allowed Everton in.

Although by then it was the UEFA Cup and they’d dropped the one team per city rule. The English League upheld it until 1975 but were told by UEFA they had to drop it or they’d take action against them.
I’m not sure why 7th would qualify as there was only one place in the European Cup.

6th

As fair as I can tell, Wednesday were in the cup that season as they’d finished second the season before (60-61 when Spurs won the double). The season after, it was Everton who were in it.

Final League places in 1961/62 season were

1. Ipswich
2. Burnley
3. Spurs
4. Everton
5. Blades
6. Wendy

Ipswich qualified for the 1962/63 European Cup and FA Cup winners Spurs qualified for the 1962/63 Cup Winners Cup.

The FL nominated Burnley, Everton and Blades to play in the 1962/63 Inter Cities Fairs Cup but the Inter City Fairs Cup committee nominated Everton, Wendy and Birmingham (who finished 20th in the 1961/62 1st division). Both the FL and the ICFC committee then held two or three meetings during the summer to agree on the three English clubs to take part in the competition but in the end Everton were the only English club to take part.

Back
Top Bottom