Players whose signings surprised you

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

One that did surprise me was Steve Finnieston but turns out he was broken beyond repair when he came.

Curran was a bit of a surprise

Do you feel he was ever accepted though?

No. Not at all.

He was the epitome of Pigdom and represented all that had gone wrong on Boxing Day 79.

First home game at the Lane and the silly bastard ran towards the kop with his arms aloft.
He was only saved by the fences.
Those who weren't trying to scale the fences were optimistically doing long range gobs at him and a hail of small changed rained down from further up.

It's fair to say that 'acceptance' wasn't a word that sprung to mind.

Berge was a big surprise considering he was on the radar of so many big European clubs already having played in the Champions League. I do unfortunately think he will outgrow (Make joke about him being 6ft5) us quicker than I would care to admit.

Was quite often puzzled by Warnock signings. In fairness I was often pleasantly surprised (Gillespie, McCall, Shipperley).

I m not sure if it was a surprise don givens. what I do know it was the biggest good riddance in Blades History.

The ultimate dads army, the management skill of which was further defined when we swapped the loan of withe and Roger Hansbury
Didn't we loan out Withe (I was going to say - Withe out - thought it as funny for a moment, but then ......) to someone (Huddersfield?) and let him play against us? So obviously he scored their winner.
Not the most sensible decision, was it?
(Maybe we could have a post about poor decisions the club have made?
I still think they ought to have and could have and should have, if they had got their act together properly, ensured the Ched Evans court case did not begin until after the end of that season. Some may say that would not have been possible. Being an ex-lawyer such things are possible if you are prepared and organised. For what it's worth nothing will change my mind about that being a very poor decision of some magnitude.)

Brian Deane first time around. I'd seen him play for Donny a few months earlier in a in cup replay at Millmoor and he'd torn Rotherham apart. Think how he played for us many times over the years, that's what Deano's performance was like that night. Fast forward to the following summer and I remember going to the back page of the Star and being shocked (pleasantly shocked) that we'd signed him. My next thought was how the bloody hell have United got the money to sign a player like that. Then I saw the price ... £30k ... what an absolute snip!!!

Didn't we loan out Withe (I was going to say - Withe out - thought it as funny for a moment, but then ......) to someone (Huddersfield?) and let him play against us? So obviously he scored their winner.
I still think they ought to have and could have and should have, if they had got their act together properly, ensured the Ched Evans court case did not begin until after the end of that season. Some may say that would not have been possible. Being an ex-lawyer such things are possible if you are prepared and organised. For what it's worth nothing will change my mind about that being a very poor decision of some magnitude.)
v Birmingham at home in October 1987. He scored both goals for them in their 2-0 win and we had Roger Hansbury (on loan from Brum) in goal for us. After the match Reg Brealey told Billy McEwan that he was disappointed with him for allowing this arrangement

John Tudor - but didn't really make up for the disappointment of losing Jones.

Birmingham City.

Anyone decent ever, I’m still conditioned to expect the late 90’s approach where we always used to sign players that no one had heard of and they turned out to be average to shit. We then moved into Warnock, who just went for the “throw enough shit and some will stick” approach to signing footballers.

v Birmingham at home in October 1987. He scored both goals for them in their 2-0 win and we had Roger Hansbury (on loan from Brum) in goal for us. After the match Reg Brealey told Billy McEwan that he was disappointed with him for allowing this arrangement

So were 10,000 others!

I don’t remember Withe throwing his sweat bands into the kop that night!

Night to forget that one.

my memory might be playing tricks on me, but didn't we also have andy kennedy on loan from birmingham as part of the withe deal? Birmingham City finished a couple of points above us, as we got dragged into the play offs with brizzle.

I also seem to remember Kennedy being really good before us, shit with us, and really good after us.

my memory might be playing tricks on me, but didn't we also have andy kennedy on loan from birmingham as part of the withe deal? Birmingham City finished a couple of points above us, as we got dragged into the play offs with brizzle.

I also seem to remember Kennedy being really good before us, shit with us, and really good after us.
Kennedy was in 1986-87

I'm sure it was Birmingham and he got a brace against us

Back
Top Bottom