Player of the Season Award 2020-2021

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

could only be mcgoldrick for goal of the season, that was the only moment that was world class all season

the player of the year is wide open but for different reasons unlike the last for 3-4 years & im not sure anyone really wants to win it, id like mcgoldrick to win as he would deserve it but also it anger the people on the racist vital forum & minds would explode like the season ticket video 😄

Got to be between Mcgoldrick and Ramsdale for me. I've gone for Ramsdale for the way he has overcome being slagged off every week. He also had to overcome the daily comparison to Henderson and the wank fest that he left behind. Turned his season right around through all the adversity and looks a class goalkeeper.

I think it's a pretty easy choice to be honest. The only player in the whole squad who could reasonably claim to be as good this season as he was last, IMO.

Love the bloke, but he’s been average at best for a month or two, and even had 2-3 awful games over the past few weeks. Back in March he was by far in front:

As feared, the form of some of these did continue to nosedive... but on the bright side, Didzy continued to improve and Ramsdale cut out the mistakes. So I reckon:

1. McGoldrick
(Country mile)
2. Ramsdale
3. Basham
(Regulation mile)
The rest

Honourable mention for Bogle who’s had some stormers, but he’s only played about a dozen times and wasn’t particularly amazing in about half of them.

...but as I said elsewhere, absolutely everyone has had a drop-off since then, apart from Ramsdale, who has got better and better. So it’s him for me.

Ramsdale for me

Yes he had a torrid start, but literally the only thing at the club which has improved as the season has progressed. When the entire team around him has floundered at least he's stood up and been counted

Massive mental strength to pick himself up off the floor, rebuild his confidence and win fans back onside is admirable.

Last 3 months been only player consistently playing well, more than any other player has managed.

Honourable mention to Didz. No one else comes close.

Ramsdale for me

Yes he had a torrid start, but literally the only thing at the club which has improved as the season has progressed. When the entire team around him has floundered at least he's stood up and been counted

Massive mental strength to pick himself up off the floor, rebuild his confidence and win fans back onside is admirable.

Last 3 months been only player consistently playing well, more than any other player has managed.

Honourable mention to Didz. No one else comes close.
Yeah, he wasn’t as bad as everyone made out in the first half of the season but lots of people have done the classic “make a decision and stick to it despite evidence to the contrary.” It’s the same reason Deadbat used to retain scapegoats well after they turned it around.

The thing is, while Ramsdale made lots of mistakes in quite a few early games, he wasn’t the one-man disaster zone everyone painted him as, and wasn’t directly culpable for many goals at all. And he’s been mostly great this calendar year.

Also a big fan of his “lead with the testicles” approach to shot stopping.

Not exactly a hard choice this season!
McGoldrick 100%

It would be hard to choose a runner up or 2nd preference though, as they have all fallen well short of Didzy (and even his standards have dipped!)

Obvious one would be Basham.
However, to throw a spanner into the works. I think Bogle and Osborne are up there as well as top performers this season. All the names I've mentioned are certainly the only ones to show endeavor this season.

Ramsdale is up there too. But I think the first few months let him down overall with nervous performances.
However, I hope he wins Young player award or Players' player award.

Shows how bad our seasons been when Rammers was poor for half season 😅

Would've gave it Didzy personally.

Well done Aaron, if anyone had predicted this back when I posted the OP in December they would have got a very quizzical look.

He got it at Bournemouth last year, is he the first goalkeeper in the PL to win POTY at his club two years running?

As a cynic, will this inflate his transfer value?

Well done Aaron, if anyone had predicted this back when I posted the OP in December they would have got a very quizzical look.

He got it at Bournemouth last year, is he the first goalkeeper in the PL to win POTY at his club two years running?

As a cynic, will this inflate his transfer value?

In two different teams that were both relegated. Got to be a first for that surely?

Think David De Gea won it a few times in a row for Man Utd.

I’m pleased for rammers as he has improved hugely but on the whole season it has to be didzy for me.

As our player of the season usually gets sold before the next season starts, please give the award to "Blunts' tram" as the Wendies are now referring to our 'beloved' John 🤣

Could he possibly be Swillsborough bound?!?

Great choice. Well deserved. He's done exactly what a young keeper should do, improved as the season as gone along. Now showing what he can do. Must have been a big shock keeping goal in a team thats been poor and looking back a club with underlying problems. Well done.

Am I alone in appreciating Osborn's efforts this season?!?

If the award was just for effort he'd win it out of all PL players, however for quality he is sadly lacking.

Great character and resilience from Aaron as well to recover from his shaky start

If the award was just for effort he'd win it out of all PL players, however for quality he is sadly lacking.

Great character and resilience from Aaron as well to recover from his shaky start
You could be right, I'm probably just impressed with his attitude and putting-in of a decent shift every time when others had mentally gone AWOL. Hope his aptitude catches up with his attitude :)

Back
Top Bottom