Play off final.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If we are in the playoffs I can’t see a fellow top six side trying to park the bus, so we’ll definitely have a chance.

Anyone know when the PO semi finals would be? (not that I'm saying we'll be involved) We're in Majorca from the 9th May for a week and I have a feeling we'd be away when they play?

I have predicted the 11/12th (Fri/Sat) and the 15/16th (Tues/weds). I'm going away on the 17th for a week, back in time for the final on the 26th ;-)

If we are in the playoffs I can’t see a fellow top six side trying to park the bus, so we’ll definitely have a chance.
Agree. The teams that we've had REALLY poor results against recently (Bolton, Pigs) are the ones that have set up for a draw and tried to play proper anti-football. I'd expect playoff games to be more open and more suited to our style of play.

I have predicted the 11/12th (Fri/Sat) and the 15/16th (Tues/weds). I'm going away on the 17th for a week, back in time for the final on the 26th ;-)
Oh ffs....going away for week on the 11th.....ahh well back in plenty of time for Wembley

You felt better “after” that defeat ?
Only because the tension inside me lifted. Overall it was very sad because they seemed to score with every shot and then parked the bus and even a heroic effort failed to get us on the scoresheet. I think we hit the post and missed a pen - it just wasn’t happening. It was a big chance missed and the long journey home was sad because I knew that team would be broken up or just broken from the near misses of that season. We were robbed at Liverpool (surprise surprise) and the Arsenal game was a valiant effort memorable for seaman making possibly his best save ever. So no, I didn’t really feel better.

Fair points. Missing a bloody penalty didn’t help. The drive back from Wales, was awful, as someone once said, “ it’s not the failure but the hope that kills” ( I may have paraphrased)

If the pigs make the play offs, nobody will want to play them as it would mean they are well and truly the form team

You sure ? I seem to remember watching on TV in black and white the only way you could tell the teams apart was the pigs hooped socks.
Positive. There were only two Sheffield derby matches in the 1960s that had highlights shown on ATV (pre YTV) and both matches were played at S6. Sept 1966 and Jan 1968

I was thinking early 60's when the pigs played in stripes which would be 63-65 with hooped socks they went to blue with white sleeves in 65-70's unless I'm mixing them up with Newcastle or someone.

Other than being in May, i don't know the date of the final, nor do i know the dates of the Play off games.

I really hope that our season has finished after we have played all our league fixtures as the play offs really does ruin the summer.

Last season was fantastic, great end to the season with an amazing celebration at each game once we'd confirmed promotion, followed by the Bus tour and Town hall piss up for the club, brilliant.

However, what i really enjoyed was that we knew after the last game which division we were in, we didn't have to wait several weeks, the players had a great time off and then it was back to preseason.
I think the final is on the 26th (sat)

If it was them I wouldn’t go.....

If we lost that one to them.... I wouldn’t go out of the house other than for work..

Spawny bastards... every Bounce seems to go thier way when they play us, well, almost...:)

I nearly didn't go either - just so pissed off with our crap record - then my boy chirped up "Dad - you do realise that the one you miss will be the one that we win"...........Hmmmm...let us hope it's the next one. At least next time, CW will make sure we leave everything out on the field.

UTB

I've been to every bloody one - except against Accrington in 1800 and frozen. We won that. :rolleyes:

I'm sure I've shared this before (true story). Around 1967 the Blades played the pigs at Bramall Lane. I knew this family who were all Wednesdayites and were as thick as pig shit and common as fuck. Anyway, one of the 'daughters' arranged to get married on the day of the match and - being the attention-seeking slag she was - attend the match straight after the ceremony (which I think was at St. Mary's). It was on MoTD and, sure enough, the cameras picked her out, sat in the BLUT dressed - laughably - in traditional white, veil and all that shit.
I say 'laughably' because the term 'second-hand dartboard' could safely be used to describe this bird. At the ceremony, the groom exchanged vows. The bride exchanged bodily fluids...
My apologies, Just had another look at the below website, The Blades 0 Wendy 1 match in September 1967 had highlights shown on ATV (pre YTV) in the next day

http://carousel.royalwebhosting.net/itv/ITVfootball55-68.html#ABC

That's a shame, could do with something being unearthed similar to the Watford last game recording. Do you know which, if any, games were televised from 70-71?
Boro (h) 1-1 on YTV
Spurs (a) in League Cup 1-2 on Sportsnight
Brum (a) 1-0 on MOTD
Hull (a) 1-1 on YTV
Bolton (a) 1-2 on YTV
Oxford (a) 2-1 on Southern TV. I was at the match but never saw the tv footage
Luton (h) 2-1 on YTV
Norwich (h) 0-0 on YTV
Leicester (a) on MOTD
Boro (a) 1-1 on YTV

I believe Harlech news has the goals of our 5-1 home win against Cardiff.

I saw the film of the 3-0 win against Watford (filmed by a fan at the back of the BLUT) at the 1971 promotion reunion in 2011. Were you at the reunion too?

Brilliant, thanks for that Silent. I must have seen some of these, take it some would have been on the Sheffield United YTV compilation video that came out many years ago. Be good if all the coverage for those televised games could be pieced together on one compilation.

No, I didn't go to the reunion, but I've seen it on the Handsworth SC bus two or three years back.

Brilliant, thanks for that Silent. I must have seen some of these, take it some would have been on the Sheffield United YTV compilation video that came out many years ago. Be good if all the coverage for those televised games could be pieced together on one compilation.

No, I didn't go to the reunion, but I've seen it on the Handsworth SC bus two or three years back.
It was me who wrote to YTV and SUFC asking them if a YTV compilation video could be made, Was disappointed that the 7 goals against Ipswich werent included

What do you need from YTV Silent?
The "missing Blades goals" that could have been in the YTV video that are also not in You Tube are;

Norwich 1 Blades 1 - Dec 1969
Bolton 2 Blades 1 - Jan 1971
Oxford 1 Blades 2 - Jan 1971
Blades 7 Ipswich 0 - Nov 1971
Birmingham 1 Blades 2 - August 1971
Norwich 2 Blades 1 - Feb 1974
Man City 0 Blades 1 - Mar 1974

The Bolton (a) and Ipswich (h) matches were the main match on YTV Soccer Special while the rest in the list above were the 2nd or 3rd matches of Soccer Special

The Missing goals from the MOTD video that are also not in You Tube are;

Aug 69 - Portsmouth (a) won 5-1 – shown regionally (MOTD had one match for each regional area in the first few months of 1969-70 season)
Oct 70 - Spurs (a) League Cup lost 2-1 (on Sportsnight)
Nov 71 West Ham (a) won 2-1
Feb 74 Leicester (a) drew 1-1
Sept 76 Southampton (a) 1-1

Will you be able to get a few of them?

Boro (h) 1-1 on YTV
Spurs (a) in League Cup 1-2 on Sportsnight
Brum (a) 1-0 on MOTD
Hull (a) 1-1 on YTV
Bolton (a) 1-2 on YTV
Oxford (a) 2-1 on Southern TV. I was at the match but never saw the tv footage
Luton (h) 2-1 on YTV
Norwich (h) 0-0 on YTV
Leicester (a) on MOTD
Boro (a) 1-1 on YTV

I believe Harlech news has the goals of our 5-1 home win against Cardiff.

I saw the film of the 3-0 win against Watford (filmed by a fan at the back of the BLUT) at the 1971 promotion reunion in 2011. Were you at the reunion too?

With the 50 year anniversary coming up I wonder if the club is looking to commemorate the great 70-71 promotion team in some way?

There's probably enough material there to make it into a dvd, if they could track down the Welsh Harlech coverage alongside the Watford camcorder footage they'd have the main two games of the promotion run in (pity there's no coverage available for the Pigs and Leicester home wins). They could pad it out with highlights from games of the previous season or two, an how the team came about angle and highlights from the blistering start of the 71-72 season. While some of the players are still alive they could interview them for the thoughts and recollections of that season for inclusion on the dvd.

With so many photos and match reports available from that era they could either include a second disc, in a Walthamstow Blade compilation style, or as a book to go alongside the dvd. I'd guess between the Lane Line Ups, Sheffield Star, Sheffield Telegraph, Green 'Un and even the nationals there's at least one photo from each game in that season.

It would seem a shame if the club couldn't put something together to mark 50 years since that great side went up. If the club don't show some inclination in this direction I might just put something together myself!

With the 50 year anniversary coming up I wonder if the club is looking to commemorate the great 70-71 promotion team in some way?

There's probably enough material there to make it into a dvd, if they could track down the Welsh Harlech coverage alongside the Watford camcorder footage they'd have the main two games of the promotion run in (pity there's no coverage available for the Pigs and Leicester home wins). They could pad it out with highlights from games of the previous season or two, an how the team came about angle and highlights from the blistering start of the 71-72 season. While some of the players are still alive they could interview them for the thoughts and recollections of that season for inclusion on the dvd.

With so many photos and match reports available from that era they could either include a second disc, in a Walthamstow Blade compilation style, or as a book to go alongside the dvd. I'd guess between the Lane Line Ups, Sheffield Star, Sheffield Telegraph, Green 'Un and even the nationals there's at least one photo from each game in that season.

It would seem a shame if the club couldn't put something together to mark 50 years since that great side went up. If the club don't show some inclination in this direction I might just put something together myself!
Hope there will be another reunion in 2020-21 season and it would be great if they get more footage especially the Cardiff match which was my best match I have ever seen. WalthamstowBlade 's videos are brilliant

Hope there will be another reunion in 2020-21 season and it would be great if they get more footage especially the Cardiff match which was my best match I have ever seen. WalthamstowBlade 's videos are brilliant

Believe it or not that Cardiff match was my first ever match at The Lane - well football match, I’d been to watch cricket. Not a bad baptism eh? No wonder I’m still hooked, I’m still waiting for another occasion like that!

Back
Top Bottom