Petition to change EFL governance

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Did you ask us to support ?

If you dont ask for support then why would you expect to receive it?

Hmmmmm ....... poor, evasive response here mate ......

It's called "the principle of the matter" and refers to Clubs ( eg West Ham ) being allowed to get away with blatantly cheating and gaining an advantage over others unfairly, whilst not being appropriately punished by the weak football authorities. It could just as easily have been Wigan who suffered under the circumstances, but it happened to be us.

UTB & FTP

It’s every club for itself out there..

It’s sad......but that’s the bottom line.....99% of fans are only bothered about their own club.

It’s really strange how it’s almost impossible to define “what’s a well run club” or “what’s a badly run club”. In general it seems to be based on league postion but not every can be top and someone will always be bottom.
One could easily argue Man City are a badly run club, paying well over the odds for players and wasting money.
So why aren’t any Man City fans protesting? Wonder if it’s because they have a fantastic team?

One could easily argue Sheff Wed have been really badly run under Chancer.
How many of their fans were complaining 1 and 2 years ago when they were in and around the playoffs?
Wednesday could go the way of a Blackburn and even now their fans want their club to continue gambling and over spending.

When they were struggling under Dave Allen who tried to run the club on a strict budget to service their debt.
Many Wednesday fans were hoping they would do “a Leicester”. They wanted their club to deliberately go into admin to wipe off the debt and start again. How moral is that?

Let’s take Coventry City, a club with good potential and decent fan base.
Normallly a new owner has ambitions and speculates to accumulate but their owners are running Coventry to a strict budget ensuring they have neglible debts and never face the risk of going into admin.

One could argue that Coventry City are being run the correct way, the way all clubs should be run.
Their owners look at the turnover and spend it accordingly. It fans stop going, then they cut the player budget the following year. This would be fine but other clubs around them show some ambition and over spend, accruing a debt that is affordable (like us).

The problem is these things are never a level playing field.
If the FL or PL introduced a player salary cap, then you can bet some clubs would find ways to get round it.
At the end of the day clubs are chasing millions of pounds, so will do anything to get it.
Even if it means gambling and/ or selling off assets.

Last edited:
Just in... great news, long (but interesting) post

Chris Matheson, who sits on the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) select committee, told Blackpool supporters he will introduce a private members’ bill on the issue. It comes in response to a petition set up by the Blackpool Supporters’ Trust, which calls for change in the way football is governed. The government responded after the petition gained 10,000 signatures, saying there was no "desire" or "need" to introduce an independent regulator. But Matheson, speaking at Wednesday night’s meeting of the North West division of the Football Supporters Federation, said he fully backs what the Blackpool supporters are trying to do.

But the Labour MP for Chester, who is part of Jeremy Corbyn’s front bench, warned fans change will not happen overnight. Matheson said: “The problem with football is that as fans, we’re very tribal. But we are all football fans and these issues could happen to any single one of us. It’s so important we stick together. “The trouble is, the people that own our clubs are not business owners - not normal ones anyway. “If I go shopping but I don’t like the service or I don’t like what’s on offer, I can always choose a different shopping market. “With football, you can’t do that.

I am an Everton fan, that’s who I am. So it must be bloody awful not being able to go and watch Blackpool. “It is completely correct to say the FA and the EFL simply pass the buck - they both say it’s the others’ responsibility. “The issue is the owners of the EFL are the member clubs, so I can’t see them changing unless we force them to change. That applies for the FA, too. “I like the idea of fan-owned football clubs but as much as I like it, it does not always work out. “It is a tricky balance because, as much as I want to see fans involved, in my experience at Chester there needs to be someone involved who has some knowledge of business. “As fans you have got to continue the pressure and you have to propel this group to the top table of football to give fans a proper voice. “They will take us for granted as long as we let them take us for granted. “These things are not pleasant, we want to just be able to support our clubs at the end of the day, but these people need to recognise it is our club and our game.

“These things will not happen overnight, not politically anyway, but I will put forward a bill and the matter will be debated.” READ MORE: Government responds to petition set up by Blackpool fans The petition, which was published in February, urges the government to introduce an independent regulator for English football, charged with ensuring the "highest possible standards of governance" for all clubs. It recently passed the 12,000 mark. Should it receive more than 100,000 signatures, the petition will be considered for debate in parliament. BST chairman Christine Seddon was also in attendance at Wednesday night’s meeting She said: “We are having to stand by and watch the situation play out in front of our own eyes without having a say. “That is why we believe an independent regulator should be introduced as the current system does not work. “We speak to the EFL but they refer us to the FA, so we go to the FA but they just refer us back to the EFL.

It’s like playing pass the parcel. “So something needs to be done and the petition we set up is for all football clubs, not just Blackpool. “After all, every single club is only one bad owner away from disaster. It should not be a matter of pot luck, but at the moment we are all at the mercy of our owners. “Something needs to be brought in to limit the damage of owners who treat football clubs like their personal play-thing. “It is wrong and investment needs to be done in conjunction with the fans.”

Read more at: https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/...dent-regulator-for-english-football-1-9112183

Sign the petition here - https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/213108

I have always had a soft spot for blackpool because its always been my favourite away day when it's not been in December, January or February but I think the oystons have run it as their own personal cow they wont go until they get the 30 million out they owe by which time they will have killed off a truly historic club

I can't quite believe I'm saying it, but that Labour front bencher talks a lot of sense.

I have always had a soft spot for blackpool because its always been my favourite away day when it's not been in December, January or February but I think the oystons have run it as their own personal cow they wont go until they get the 30 million out they owe by which time they will have killed off a truly historic club

I can't quite believe I'm saying it, but that Labour front bencher talks a lot of sense.

That is why it needs your help. More people have voted for safe standing than at least have a go to change the EFL. Perhaps they are happier standing up whilst their clubs are being run into the ground.

Come on Blades - show your support. This is NOT just for BFC, but for ALL clubs now and in the future.

Every club is just one shit owner away from disaster.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/213108

Back
Top Bottom