Petition to change EFL governance

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Cjay

Reaction score
COPIED WORD FOR WORD FROM OUR FORUM

A message to ALL football fans, regardless of which club you follow;

Blackpool Supporters Trust has recently created a government petition with the following aim;

The Government must introduce an independent regulator for English football. We urge the Government to introduce an independent regulator for English football, charged with ensuring the highest possible standards of governance for all clubs.

The troubles we have endured at Blackpool FC during the Oyston ownership are well documented and make unbelievable reading, which has culminated in the Oystons being made to pay Valeri Belokon over £30m.

Blackpool FC has become a by-word in the football community for mismanagement and crisis, and yet after a period several years, nothing has been done. The EFL shows no sign that it understands what its leadership role in this area should be, and as it clearly can’t - or won’t - rise to the challenge, then we feel that the Government must step in to lead the process of fundamental reform that is clearly needed.

Blackpool is not the only club in such circumstances. Other 'crisis' clubs include AFC Wimbledon, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Cardiff City, Charlton Athletic, Coventry City, Fulham, Leyton Orient, Leeds United.

Football clubs are too precious and too much a part of the fabric of our national life, to be left to the mercy of unregulated and often unscrupulous ownership. They need the protection of a robust regulatory framework that offers a range of sanctions against wrongdoers, mechanisms that allow problems to be confronted before they become deep-rooted and a governing body that has the desire to use it.

As football fans, I would ask that you join us in trying to bring about change within the game and hopefully prevent future owners from loading clubs with debt and running clubs into the ground.

We are all fans and we should stick together to ensure the clubs we love are owned and managed properly.

The petition can be found here – https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/213108

Thank you all for your support and if you have Twitter, please feel free to tweet this or add on Facebook - get this message out there!!
If you are a member of any other of your club's fans forums, please post this on there to spread the word – we, as fans, are all in this together.

Please let us know if you sign it by adding a comment.

You can also sign the petition if you are browsing as a guest on this forum.

MODS: please could you make this a sticky for us, we need all the support we can get

Football without fans is nothing

Good luck for the rest of the season :)
Last edited by Tangerino on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/213108

Perhaps Cjay , if you or others from supporters who felt agreived actually looked at other clubs supporters who had been wronged and started their campaign from there, then you may have a case for " Us supporters ought to stick together".
In other words focus on another clubs supporters grievance before your own club.

Blackpool is not the only club in such circumstances. Other 'crisis' clubs include AFC Wimbledon, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Cardiff City, Charlton Athletic, Coventry City, Fulham, Leyton Orient, Leeds United.
vdLE8dJ.gif

It’s small minded not to even consider the content unless Cjay and his mates marched on Downing Street with Sean Bean or set up a paypal to McCabe’s legal team. The point is decent and the league should do more to stop crooks and asset strippers take control of what are essentially community assets at heart and should be treasured as such.

Indeed HM, but the level of snowflakery on the thread suggests they're all Guardianistas.

To be fair, what can they realistically do to protect clubs?

say an owner can't sell players? This is easily justified looking at a teams accounts.

Protect a club from liquidation? This would mean a football club could rack up unbelievable debts and keep going.

Protect the clubs identity? More achievable, although no doubt ways around it would be found.

To be fair alot of these crisis clubs are only that because there not doing well. That's football, ups and downs. The reason the downs are so bad is the difference in money.

That would be the fix, cap money but it would need to be done across the football world not the UK government.

I've signed it because I'd like there to be more publicity around owners of any company using it to their own benefit and directly to the detriment of it's employees and customers.

However, I'm not sure involving the government in those football decisions is a great idea. MPs are interested in getting re-elected - they do not care about your football club. It needs stronger governance and more vigorous testing of potential investors which can only be managed by the football governing bodies

I’m often not exactly clear what is the definition of a poorly run club,

Take us us for example.
Whilst in league 1 many said we were a poorly run club.
Now we’re in the Championship many say we’ve suddenly become a well run club.
When we’ve had the same owner and have been run the same over the past few years.

Take Wednesday for example.
Are SW being run well or badly?
At the time they bought Jordan Rhodes and Winnall I said it’s a badly run club
But almost every Wednesday fan lauded Chancer as being their best Chairman ever.

Blackpool fans apparently are suffering badly
But haven’t they just had a fantastic period of success reaching the PL under Oyston?
For a club the size of Blackpool reaching the PL is pretty incredible and those great memories can never be taken away from the fans.

Other clubs mentioned above like Leeds and Bolton are suffering
But isn’t this because they’ve massively overspent in the past, it’s similiar to their club taking steroids.
Can’t remember any Bolton, Leeds or even Wednesday fans complaining when they are buying expensive players.
Those clubs wait until they are relegated or have a few years struggling, then they complain.
Can’t remember any Leeds fans complaining when they were playing in the semi final of the Champions league.

The irony is that Coventry are being run to a strict financial plan and have no debts, so they’ll never risk admin
But their fans want their owners to invest, known as gamble putting then into debt.
The Coventry model is the old fashioned way of living to ones means and it would be fairer if all clubs did the same.
Expenditure/ and transfers should be based on a clubs turnover.

Last edited:

Are Man City a poorly run club, spending/ wasting money and massively overspending?
Are Wolves a poorly run club, being involved with an agent and bringing in top players at less than market values.

I’ve often said that most fans these days would like us to be taken over by a rich investor.
And most aren’t bothered whether he’s a good Chairman or a bad Chairman because as long as he spends the money it doesn’t matter.

Attracting big investors can be like selling your soul to the devil.
Football fans sometimes reap what they sow.

Signed

It's funny to laugh at other clubs with ownership issues like Hull, Coventry (& soon to be Wednesday). But there's no guarantee it won't happen to us.

We all know McCabe isn't going to be around forever, & when he does decide to call it a day it can be a real lottery as to getting the right man to replace him.

“Blackpool is not the only club in such circumstances. Other 'crisis' clubs include AFC Wimbledon, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Cardiff City, Charlton Athletic, Coventry City, Fulham, Leyton Orient, Leeds United.”

Excluding Wimbledon, Blackburn and Leyton Orient I could not give a flying fuck what could happen to the rest, Actually if all 9 of those clubs fell in to administration I would be struggling to even feel bad for them.

Does any football fan, from any club, genuinely care when any other football club is having trouble??

I doubt anybody outside of Sheffield has ever shed a tear over our misfortunes.

Football Clubs are supported on a tribal level and the weakness of one football club is only advantages to the others around them.

Last edited:
Cjay Did you support our campaign when West Ham and the Premier League fucked us over Tevez?
Did you ask us to support ?

If you dont ask for support then why would you expect to receive it?

Should just say . . .

Thanks for your support (from the people who started the petition).

But all i did was post as a favour, i didnt expect (naively) to have to defend the petition. :tumbleweed:( i like that one)

I keep up with Blackpool's travails on their forum http://www.backhenrystreet.co.uk/forum-2.html and I have to say the actions of the Blackpool fanbase in getting rid of the Oyscums has been pretty inspirational stuff when compared to the likes of our sky blue friends and Hull City. The not a penny more campaign (NAPM) and protesting outside the headquarters of the EFL are highlights. I hope the tangerines are enjoying the Oyston's struggling to pay the money owed to Belokon.The point people are making about the Tevez and Mascherano is a fair one though: no one gave a shit about SUFC after that, despite it setting a bad precedent for football as a whole.I signed the petition a long time ago and was happy to do so.Those who are saying "they weren't complaining in the prem" don't realise that the "illegitimate stripping" happened after relegation, and how fans were sued for pointing out this fact. Also the numerous lies about how the club's infrastructure would be improved using the prem money.It turns out Owen should never have been allowed control anyway: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...e-blackpool-owen-oyston-fit-and-proper-person

Last edited:
How are Fulham such a badly run club? They've literally turned down 40m+ for two of their players.

Leyton Orient I feel for, Hartlepool I feel for. I felt for Chester, Darlington, Rushden and Diamonds etc. Smaller clubs that were struggling and nobody gave a shit about them.

I don't feel for Leeds, Bolton, Charlton who spent way beyond their means to achieve brief 'success'. Portsmouth also fall into this category.

I do feel for Blackpool, though they are a mix of the two above.

Did you ask us to support ?

If you dont ask for support then why would you expect to receive it?

Would you have given it if we'd asked? Do people only get support if they ask for it?

I simply asked if a question if you supported our cause, you're trying to force change in football now because you're up shit creek with your owners, yet did you give a shite about other clubs before you had your problems?

As you're coming on here trolling for support of your campaign with a generic message, i just asked a simple question. I will take that as a no then.

Good luck in your cause, just don't throw tennis balls on the pitch like coventry when we play you, nobody likes that

How are Fulham such a badly run club? They've literally turned down 40m+ for two of their players.

Leyton Orient I feel for, Hartlepool I feel for. I felt for Chester, Darlington, Rushden and Diamonds etc. Smaller clubs that were struggling and nobody gave a shit about them.

I don't feel for Leeds, Bolton, Charlton who spent way beyond their means to achieve brief 'success'. Portsmouth also fall into this category.

I do feel for Blackpool, though they are a mix of the two above.

Agree with almost all of that except the Blackpool bit. I don't think they spent beyond their means, they didn't spend what they should, choosing to divert the money elsewhere (I guess I should add an "allegedly" here)

Agree with almost all of that except the Blackpool bit. I don't think they spent beyond their means, they didn't spend what they should, choosing to divert the money elsewhere (I guess I should add an "allegedly" here)

Well they did. They've been a bottom league club for a good 30/40 years. Had a new stadium, brought in players to take them to the Prem. Yeah, they weren't all glam, but they still cost way more than they were bringing in.

Agree, don’t think they spent anything significant on transfers or wages in the PL.
That PL money and the parachute payments should have stabilised Blackpool ensuring that they stayed in the Championship for many years.

Can understand the anger when they managed to fight their way up into such a great postion, both on and off the pitch.
They should really have had a recent history and now be in a similar position to their main rival Preston NE.

However their owner saw a chance to line his own pocket meaning Blackpool slipped down the leagues.
All that hard work quickly undone and it could have been avoided.

Agree, don’t think they spent anything significant on transfers or wages in the PL.
That PL money and the parachute payments should have stabilised Blackpool ensuring that they stayed in the Championship for many years.

Can understand the anger when they managed to fight their way up into such a great postion, both on and off the pitch.
They should really have had a recent history and now be in a similar position to their main rival Preston NE.

However their owner saw a chance to line his own pocket meaning Blackpool slipped down the leagues.
All that hard work quickly undone and it could have been avoided.

The Oystons were very good at promising Jam Tomorrow. Their training ground was slated for major investment, the caveat to that was that it would incorporate property that would benefit the Oystons. No such improvements were undertaken, even during their Premier League season, the training ground wasn't anywhere near fit for purpose. They couldn't even spell Centre of Excellence properly (they spelt it Excellance). Meanwhile up the road, they were overtaken by Fleetwood, ironically run by a Blackpool fan.

My view is that one club deliberately and openly breaking league rules, and the league themselves being complicit, is on a completely different level to any problems clubs may face with their owners.

I have respect for Wigan and Fulham, the other 89 can go bust for all I care. Other clubs will take their places and football will carry on. I have no sympathy with internal problems at any other club. It’s every club for itself out there, we had next to no support in a very public case of cheating and corruption at the highest level of our domestic game so there’s no reason to expect any club would come to our aid if we found ourselves unhappy with our owners.

Back
Top Bottom