Incoming? Peter Withe.....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Dean Hammond. Steve Simonson
Simonsen was 30 when we signed him, arguably a great age for an experienced keeper. As I have pointed out before, had Williamson, Lowton or Taylor scored he would have been a penalty saving play-off final hero, very thin line.

Simonsen was 30 when we signed him, arguably a great age for an experienced keeper. As I have pointed out before, had Williamson, Lowton or Taylor scored he would have been a penalty saving play-off final hero, very thin line.

I thought he was pants when he signed permanently, and a better keeper would've resulted in the points needed for automatic. I agree that he was excellent in that game.

I thought he was pants when he signed permanently, and a better keeper would've resulted in the points needed for automatic. I agree that he was excellent in that game.
I agree he had his faults I just think it's harsh that he's remembered purely for that penalty when it could have been so different for him, and us.

Phil Thompson, Ken McNaught, Ray Lewington and John Burridge.

United has previous history; let’s not repeat it.

Arguably McNaught and Budgie were decent signings. Thompson was poor and Lewington was meh. Others from that era were Dennis Mortimer, who looked great until he got injured and Mel Eves who was decent and scored a cracking goal against Leeds in 1985.

One not mentioned from later, Gary Speed.

Bruce Rioch. Sure he wasn't half bad.
Andy Reid. Not too old, but exactly what we needed. So he didn't stay long.

Bruce Rioch. Sure he wasn't half bad.
Andy Reid. Not too old, but exactly what we needed. So he didn't stay long.

I thought about Rioch who played 8 games for us on loan in 1979 in our relegation season from Division 2. He was 32 at the time and according to Denis Clarebrough in the First 100 years, Rioch played well and results improved but an opportunity to play in the US came and he left and the impetus was lost - so apparently a good signing, but unfortunately he didn't hang around.

Back
Top Bottom