Perspective

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
This is isn't a "remember when we were 11th in league 1 post"

I'm resigned to the fact we are going down, but I disagree wholeheartedly with those suggesting we are at risk of not competing in the Championship and we lack quality for the Championship. The gulf in quality and pace of the game between Championship and Premier League is huge lets not lose sight of that. The fact that all of Bournemouth, Watford and Norwich are right up there with none of them having been brilliant is testament to that. I think the fact we were so good last year has warped, certainly my, perspective on how different the game is in the Championship.

One criticism levelled at Wilder has been thats he's bought Championship players and as critical as I have been of his signings they were the best of the Championship. I have no doubts we will be right up there next year. Now is about preparing for the Championship and making sure we don't go down with Derby's unwanted record.

I just think we look like we’re on the Huddersfield highway, just 2 years behind. That’s my concern.

You can’t just go from being a negative, hang on for nil nil and bang it up to McBurnie team in the PL, to a free scoring, possession heavy, attacking force in the Championship.
We've done the inverse because of the quality of the opposition has changed.

Norwich whose defence is weaker than last season and were down from February in the PL haven't had a problem picking themselves up. They have gone from conceding 1.97 goals a game to 0.9 despite losing Lewis and Godfrey. There are some appalling teams in the championship. West From and Fulham got promoted FFS!

We'll definitely compete next season.

In their last seasons in the Championship our current strikers scored a combined total of 70 goals.

We've done the inverse because of the quality of the opposition has changed.
We’ve not, we’ve gone from an attacking side 2 seasons ago to a more conservative (but highly effective) PL side last season. To a shit scared and terrible PL side this season.

Looking back to the Championship season, we could mix it (Leeds and WBA away were smash and grab) but now we can’t.

We'll definitely compete next season.

In their last seasons in the Championship our current strikers scored a combined total of 70 goals.

Of course we will compete, all teams in the said league compete.

We’ve not, we’ve gone from an attacking side 2 seasons ago to a more conservative (but highly effective) PL side last season. To a shit scared and terrible PL side this season.

Looking back to the Championship season, we could mix it (Leeds and WBA away were smash and grab) but now we can’t.
Why couldn't we mix it with West Brom or their equivalent in the Championship? 3 games ago we battered them and should have won 3-1 or more despite being dreadful for the previous 11 matches. Quality shines through and to suggest we having got top end championship players in this team is ridiculous. Its realistic to suggest we will go down its also realistic to suggest we will be top 6 next season in the championship.

This is isn't a "remember when we were 11th in league 1 post"

I'm resigned to the fact we are going down, but I disagree wholeheartedly with those suggesting we are at risk of not competing in the Championship and we lack quality for the Championship. The gulf in quality and pace of the game between Championship and Premier League is huge lets not lose sight of that. The fact that all of Bournemouth, Watford and Norwich are right up there with none of them having been brilliant is testament to that. I think the fact we were so good last year has warped, certainly my, perspective on how different the game is in the Championship.

One criticism levelled at Wilder has been thats he's bought Championship players and as critical as I have been of his signings they were the best of the Championship. I have no doubts we will be right up there next year. Now is about preparing for the Championship and making sure we don't go down with Derby's unwanted record.
He's got to go now can you not all see that !!!!

At the end of last season Norwich City lost 10 consecutive matches and scored precisely 1 (one) goal

Their results were: 0-1, 0-3, 0-1, 0-4, 0-1, 1-2, 0-4, 0-1, 0-2, 0-5

So in conclusion - negative momentum means fuck all.

It’s the manner in which we will go down which is of concern. At this rate we will do well to get our points tally into double figure. Momentum works in both directions. We were riding on the crest of a wave when we came up and it took us a long way last season. Sadly when decline sets in it can be hard to snap out of it, see Sunderland and Wolves a few years back who both suffered back to back relegations. Not saying we will but it would be naive in my opinion to think we will definitely be challenging next season just because we’ll have a decent team on paper.

It’s the manner in which we will go down which is of concern. At this rate we will do well to get our points tally into double figure. Momentum works in both directions. We were riding on the crest of a wave when we came up and it took us a long way last season. Sadly when decline sets in it can be hard to snap out of it, see Sunderland and Wolves a few years back who both suffered back to back relegations. Not saying we will but it would be naive in my opinion to think we will definitely be challenging next season just because we’ll have a decent team on paper.
I know, it's hardly a given. But the club has got six months to prepare for the inevitably of next season. It's not like we're going to be wondering which division we'll be in and not knowing which sort of players we should be signing or looking to ship out if possible.

This will be our longest close-season on record.

I know, it's hardly a given. But the club has got six months to prepare for the inevitably of next season. It's not like we're going to be wondering which division we'll be in and not knowing which sort of players we should be signing or looking to ship out if possible.

This will be our longest close-season on record.
Fair comment, we have plenty of time to prepare. I just find it hard to see us switching from losing every week and potentially setting the worst ever points tally to immediately challenging. I hope I’m wrong and in my opinion we should give CW the opportunity to try.

Perspective?? We were a win away from competing in Europe, well ahead of expectations, and now arguing about top six in Championship. Wilders personal experiences at lower league clubs negatively influenced his capability of applying huge pressure on board In summer to step up wage ceiling and recruit properly. We were so desperately close to becoming a real force and have blown it. He had, I believe willing owners in the palm of his hand and whatever happens he’ll never be able to recreate that meaning owners will never 100% trust him again which of course means we’ll never reach our summit.

We had a great season. We weren't close to becoming a real force. Yes we bought poorly this season. In fact we bought poorly last season. We were running on momentum and an unchanged team. Wilder has made mistakes and this season has been a disaster but I don't hear of any bust ups or the players not trying or having a sulk. It's embarrassing to be at the bottom. But suck it up and move on. We had Chesterfield on the opening game of the season not that long ago. Changing managers at this stage is not going to do anything for us. Let's see how he goes about getting us back up. If we sell Berge and buy a few midfielders and a centre half then we have a squad for the top end of the championship.

We had a great season. We weren't close to becoming a real force. Yes we bought poorly this season. In fact we bought poorly last season. We were running on momentum and an unchanged team. Wilder has made mistakes and this season has been a disaster but I don't hear of any bust ups or the players not trying or having a sulk. It's embarrassing to be at the bottom. But suck it up and move on. We had Chesterfield on the opening game of the season not that long ago. Changing managers at this stage is not going to do anything for us. Let's see how he goes about getting us back up. If we sell Berge and buy a few midfielders and a centre half then we have a squad for the top end of the championship.

The current strike force would be competitive in the league below, your are right about the midfield and backline needing pace though.

Confidence is hit so next season will be tough to bounce back need a lot of talent in midfield as well and the people saying we could go back to league one need to chill out (minority) we’ve had I think 12 years in our history in that league all the others majority in 1st division then 2nd I know we’re pretty skint in wages terms and not been great for donkeys years baring last season but I think sometimes we lack ambition

Why couldn't we mix it with West Brom or their equivalent in the Championship? 3 games ago we battered them and should have won 3-1 or more despite being dreadful for the previous 11 matches.
We should be able to, psychologically this season will be hard to shake off though if it carries on being an unmitigated disaster.

Back
Top Bottom