Pathetic Warnock sacked but says...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

since john harris how many good managers have we had?.only Bassett because we had a few seasons in the top div one/prem. Wilder because he will keep us in the prem in my opinion..

He was emotionally attached to Cardiff, they went through a very emotional catastrophe when that plane crashed
he spent weeks with them in mourning.
The fans had warmed to him greatly because of this and saw him with tinted specs on.
He also got paid more by them which is dearest to his heart

Aye

That'll be the same emotional attachment & mourning that led the club he managed to (still) seek to renege on their financial commitments

Frechville for the former and I've lost count of the number of times I heard the 'magic of the cup' story with "bus loads of Norwich fans driving past with all the magical colours".

Apart from the fact that there were no cheap man made scarves and everyone was skint, I wouldn't be surprised if we never even played Norwich in the cub. He liked a story did our Neil, even if it wasn't exactly on nodding terms with the facts.
We played Norwich at home in the FA Cup 6th round in 1959.

I like Warnock. A great entertainer in the business of entertainment. His football wasn't easy on the eye but exciting nonetheless. Some dodgy dealings in a generation where this was normal. Warnock also didn't invent the arse kissing at new clubs with new fans. Every player or manager coming in a club say the same nonsense from Manchester United down to scunthorpe United. "Big club" "great fans" "as soon as I heard there was nowhere else" and when in the job it isn't common to big up your old clubs. I think Warnock was/is a blade but he didn't allow this to dictate his career or let people take advantage of this. Wilder will be the same.

I like Warnock. A great entertainer in the business of entertainment. His football wasn't easy on the eye but exciting nonetheless. Some dodgy dealings in a generation where this was normal. Warnock also didn't invent the arse kissing at new clubs with new fans. Every player or manager coming in a club say the same nonsense from Manchester United down to scunthorpe United. "Big club" "great fans" "as soon as I heard there was nowhere else" and when in the job it isn't common to big up your old clubs. I think Warnock was/is a blade but he didn't allow this to dictate his career or let people take advantage of this. Wilder will be the same.

Are you saying Warnock indulged in unethical business transactions? His lawyers might be keen to disabuse our readers of such thoughts. :)

One of my biggest disappointments as a Blades fan .

Having thrashed Arsenal in the previous round , we were firm favourites to reach the semi finals and all the glamour which that entailed in those days .

There were over 50,000 there for the Norwich match and when we scored early in the game everyone thought it was a mere formality that we would go through . However , it seemed that the players also had that frame of mind since what followed was a very lacklustre performance resulting in Norwich getting the equaliser .

I remember walking away from the ground knowing that we had blown our chance and so it proved to be , as we lost the replay . A great pity , since that was a bloody good team which could and should have gone all the way to Wembley which was a far more prestigious achievement then than it is now .

Frechville for the former and I've lost count of the number of times I heard the 'magic of the cup' story with "bus loads of Norwich fans driving past with all the magical colours".

Apart from the fact that there were no cheap man made scarves and everyone was skint, I wouldn't be surprised if we never even played Norwich in the cub. He liked a story did our Neil, even if it wasn't exactly on nodding terms with the facts.

Ah stubbins!

One of my biggest disappointments as a Blades fan .

Having thrashed Arsenal in the previous round , we were firm favourites to reach the semi finals and all the glamour which that entailed in those days .

There were over 50,000 there for the Norwich match and when we scored early in the game everyone thought it was a mere formality that we would go through . However , it seemed that the players also had that frame of mind since what followed was a very lacklustre performance resulting in Norwich getting the equaliser .

I remember walking away from the ground knowing that we had blown our chance and so it proved to be , as we lost the replay . A great pity , since that was a bloody good team which could and should have gone all the way to Wembley which was a far more prestigious achievement then than it is now .
Wow. 60 years ago. Thanks for bringing that story to life, Joe and please keep posting your memories on here.

Seeing as it's his last job in football, will Colin turn up as one of the VAR bunch?
Qualified referee.

Warnock seems to be either loved or loathed at every club he’s been at. It’s probably only at the Lane where opinion was split 50/50.

Personally I find it funny when he says stuff like this, just like when he says “it will be his last job in football”. It’s all part of his schtick. In a way it’s a reassuring constant, like Ken Barlow or the clocks going back.

It’s odd really that his detractors during his time at the Lane claimed he managed too much like a fan would and now he’s left he isn’t a big enough Blade.

Personally I never thought he was that big a Blade when he took over, not in the way Wilder or Billy Sharp are. United were obviously ‘his team’ growing up but from his teens onwards he moved away and spent his Saturdays playing and then managing other clubs in a pre wall to wall coverage era. I know plenty of people like this....it’s just how it is. Some people are supporters who live and breathe SUFC and others simply follow the results and take an interest, attending when it’s cheap or there is a big game.

In my opinion SUFC seem to have far more of the former rather than the latter (where as at our good friends across the city the reverse is the case) and our fanbase struggles to get their heads round this.

For me, personally the Warnock years coincided with my late teens/early 20s and I’ve some of my best memories of supporting the Blades from that era. Warnock has been eclipsed though now, time to move on.
He'll probably write his autobiography soon and confess to being a truffle hunter expressing his regret at never managing his beloved squealers:p🙃

Good manager, great record, excellent motivator, and he suited Cardiff City. He did a great job with us and I'll remember the Warnock days fondly, however he is not a likeable guy and for me Wilder is different class.
Sorry, I don’t think he did a great job......took him 5yrs to sort things out.....and when we got there he threw away a 10point cushion in 6weeks by writing off games (like the 0-4 villa game) which killed us

He'll probably write his autobiography soon and confess to being a truffle hunter expressing his regret at never managing his beloved squealers:p🙃

Already has
(Paraphrasing) Said he'd love to manage em, sign a load of shite, relegate em & fuck em up forever.

Then after a superbly timed pause for (comic) effect stated
(Paraphrased) mind you th current encumbent ( Brian Laws I think it was) is doing a far better job of that than I ever could

Always been good at 'pressing buttons' has (our) Colin

Sorry, I don’t think he did a great job......took him 5yrs to sort things out.....and when we got there he threw away a 10point cushion in 6weeks by writing off games (like the 0-4 villa game) which killed us

It depends on how you look at it i guess. I have more of a 'glass half full' perspective. League Cup and Fa cup semi finals, play off final, one of the greatest games at the Lane (Forest semi final), a promotion, and a 43% win ratio during is Blades career is good going. Some great memories from those years and I think we performed well in the Premier League overall. Yes he may have got it wrong in the final few games but I think it's harsh to put the blame solely on him.

Best to let sleeping dogs lie.

He had his good moments - the triple assault season where we should have gone up. The season we did go up. And a few results in the Prem like Arsenal at home and West Ham. He gave us a team with Brown, Tonge, Jags, Quinny(s), Kenny, Morgs, Kabba, Webber, McCall, Ndlovu, Monty, Koz, Del, Armstrong, Bromby, Short, Shipperley etc that we could get behind and
one that eventuallyy took us back to the Prem after years in the wilderness. I'll always be thankful for that.

Yes we got 1 point from 30 away, yes we had a misguided JTW and he has to take responsibility for that. I would say he's never really had the tools to succeed at PL level.

Who has he been there with? Notts County, had to get them promoted 2 divisions, us, hardly had a massive budget. QPR when there was an ownership wrangle and no money to spend in the top flight. Same at Cardiff; they hardly blew the doors off. He's basically had to get each team to the PL to manage there and been given limited funds once there. He's then failed to overachieve. Please tell me what Marco Silva has done to deserve more opportunities? Tim Sherwood? Mark Hughes?

His time has passed. He courted controversy and will be marmite to some. His desire to do well often meant his frustration overspilled - telling people to go to Meadowhall. He spent time trying to better his own contract - Pompey interviews and his continually mentioning it in the press. But then again, would it really have killed McCabe to offer him a better deal as we went up? Given what happened after relegation, would Warnock not have been the exact character to help us bounce back? Neil as ever handled things a little too abrasively but I can also understand his sentiments.

I enjoyed my time watching under Neil. We were punching above our weight at times in contrast to the backing.

Warnock took us to the top level, gave it his all and through circumstances, be that lack of investment, poor spending, negative away tactics or Tevez, he fell short. But in contrast to the Baron years before that we were more than happy to take it. Plus he did have the sign over those at Hillsborough!

Times have changed and Wilder has moved the bar. But let's not forget there were some good times and good spirit under Warnock. Let's enjoy now where Chris can take us...

Why do people keep making bastard threads about him if he’s “in the past”. He bothers some of you lot far too much.

Back
Top Bottom