Pathetic Blades Turnout

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I love it when people say they're not bothered about 'fair weather' fans not going to games, or even actively dislike them going.

A) Maybe they're just not that bothered about football and just go for a change/something to do - and that's fair enough
B) So fucking what if they've never been before, we'd all never been before at some point
C) I doubt the club view any money coming in as a negative, regardless of the fact he's been to 2 games in 45 years

I think much of that attitude is about people who haven't been going regularly over the last few years moaning about not being able to jump queues or make no effort rather than new fans but there are a few with that strange attitude to new fans.

600 plus left today for Burnley is far more impressive compared to the situation in the run up to bigger games.

Whilst we got 32-33,000 for the big games last time, we'd have got less than 30k for a game like Burnley.

I think the BB10 postcode might just give away that they're not a Blade when they're trying to get a single ticket on Cherry Street, don't you?

I've not got a Sheffield postcode, neither do a hell of a lot of people of this forum. I dare say there are even fans of every club in the Premier League with a Sheffield postcode. So what's a postcode got to do with anything?

Couldn't believe the amount of Touts at Stratford station on Saturday ,cant remember seeing that at a league game involving Utd before.
It's quite big for the top 6 and London in general, but nowhere else. United's worries stem from nothing really

I've not got a Sheffield postcode, neither do a hell of a lot of people of this forum. I dare say there are even fans of every club in the Premier League with a Sheffield postcode. So what's a postcode got to do with anything?

Probably because you've got a purchase history on the clubs database. Vetting people buying tickets shouldn't be difficult. If you got a Burnley postcode and this game is the first time you've tried to buy a ticket then shenanigans are pretty obvious.

BB10 covers most of Burnley.

Interestingly, for a similar game the last time in the Premier League (Middlesborough) we only got 27483. We got around the 28k for most of the less fashionable teams that season (Reading, Fuham etc.)

That said, I totally agree with looking at getting rid of some of the hoops people are having to jump through for these types of games when we could be selling out.

Probably because you've got a purchase history on the clubs database. Vetting people buying tickets shouldn't be difficult. If you got a Burnley postcode and this game is the first time you've tried to buy a ticket then shenanigans are pretty obvious.

What if they've got a Sheffield postcode and it's their first match? E.g. a Burnley fan living in Sheffield?

First game I ever saw at Bramall Lane was against Leeds.

My postcode at the time was LS8 1QZ.

Your point is?

Gate money doesn't matter anymore apparently.
Certainly matters far less than ever before. TV and sponsor money compared to whether we charge £30 or £40 for a a couple of thousand matchday tickets is the reality. I'd like to think the club's new found riches mean it can resist the urge to pump up prices when it could instead keep football accessible in a city like Sheffield for the old, loyal and future fans. But maybe I'm just an old Blade who needs to accept the greed of modern day football.

What if they've got a Sheffield postcode and it's their first match? E.g. a Burnley fan living in Sheffield?

Then he'd get a ticket anyway. Probably on the database since the last time we played them. You're stretching it a bit but then i'd say so what, he's not going to shit on his own doorstep is he?

First game I ever saw at Bramall Lane was against Leeds.

My postcode at the time was LS8 1QZ.

Your point is?

Did the club have a database set up then like they do now? Did you sit/stand with the Leeds fans? Did you start a riot or something? Are you really that terrified of an away fan infiltrating the home end. Our fans do it all the time. What's your point, your post is an irrelevance.

Certainly matters far less than ever before. TV and sponsor money compared to whether we charge £30 or £40 for a a couple of thousand matchday tickets is the reality. I'd like to think the club's new found riches mean it can resist the urge to pump up prices when it could instead keep football accessible in a city like Sheffield for the old, loyal and future fans. But maybe I'm just an old Blade who needs to accept the greed of modern day football.

It was actually tongue in cheek but l agree. Our prices have been kept to a reasonable level over the last few years due to club policy. This may or may not change.

Did the club have a database set up then like they do now? Did you sit/stand with the Leeds fans? Did you start a riot or something? Are you really that terrified of an away fan infiltrating the home end. Our fans do it all the time. What's your point, your post is an irrelevance.
My point is that you wouldn't have sold me a ticket as my shenanigans were pretty obvious yet here I am over 48 years later still coming back having never had a Sheffield postcode and having held a season for about 40 of those 48 yrs.

As for sitting/standing with the Leeds fans, this predated segregation so I stood with all sorts of fans.

If my post is an irrelevance then yours is born from pure arrogance.

My point is that you wouldn't have sold me a ticket as my shenanigans were pretty obvious yet here I am over 48 years later still coming back having never had a Sheffield postcode and having held a season for about 40 of those 48 yrs.

As for sitting/standing with the Leeds fans, this predated segregation so I stood with all sorts of fans.

If my post is an irrelevance then yours is born from pure arrogance.

As I said, your post has no relevance to my reply to YES Blade . I suggested to him that a first timer applying for a ticket on Saturday with a Burnley postcode would be shown short thrift. You tried to counter that with an analogy about your amazing escapade 48 years ago. I don't know what you're trying to prove here other than being an argumentative tosser.

So 30,000 again. Not sure what the issue is. We aren't gonna sell out until the points system is cleared up. I know loads of people who didn't think they could buy a ticket because they aren't a member or only had so many points.
If Arsenal fans could get tickets for the BLUT, what stops our own? Attitude,lack of desire,ignorance,apathy.,affordability? I don't know the answer/s. I hope we're still not debating this the whole season,disappointing if so.
I have rarely been so excited in anticipation of yet another game because of the quality of our team and the opportunity to see how well we measure up to supposed superior opposition.

Thank our lucky stars we have an old fashioned football ground,packed to the rafters,by a vociferous majority getting right behind the lads.
I care more about those who turn up than the relative few missing.

Another prospective belter on Saturday where effort and entertainment is assured.

I'm sure the club are very keen to resolve the issues. In the meantime,how much measurable difference would a few hundred more make while those of us present sing our hearts out.?

Rhetorical stuff all worthy of debate.

It's been cauldron like for me and if we carry on in the same vain I imagine most of us will be delighted by what's yet to come.

Loving it.UTB ;)

It was actually tongue in cheek but l agree. Our prices have been kept to a reasonable level over the last few years due to club policy. This may or may not change.
Hopefully they’ll go up. I keep reading on here about how we should challenge for the top six, be ambitious, redevelop the Lane and all that so we need to match the big clubs on ticket prices.

Exactly. It's literally the clubs fault. No randomer, tourist/visitor, / burnley fan who have no away tickets left, or even a Blade who hasn't been for years can decide to go and watch some Premier League football at the Lane anymore at the drop of a hat, and cause unnecessary potential friction in an otherwise fantastic atmosphere.
FTFY

Isn’t that the case the whole way down the football pyramid for teams who sell out away from home? And I know there are restriction in place for the likes of Wendy v Leeds, and other Premier League grounds, but I’ve been able to get tickets in the home end of a few grounds when we’ve sold out no questions asked.

Hopefully they’ll go up. I keep reading on here about how we should challenge for the top six, be ambitious, redevelop the Lane and all that so we need to match the big clubs on ticket prices.

The only thing United have to do to avoid overspending and hiking ticket prices is to avoid the temptation of spending £30, 40 or 50m on no-marks with fancy names from foreign clubs. There's enough money in the kitty now to make progress for the first time in the clubs history and progress involves spending money unfortunately. Its how you spend it that counts. Ambition is not a crime you know?

I very much doubt that's the case, more likely we'll miss out on a few quid from a fair weather fan that won't go anywhere near the Lane if/when we're back in the Championship.
Four times in recent years I have taken friends/family members to their first match at the Lane. 2 are now season ticket holders (1 was next door neighbours' son, who goes regularly to games with both his brothers now), and the other 2 go to matches whenever they can. We need to make it as easy as possible for this sort of thing to happen, for the long-term health of the club. And if the rest of you would just pull your fingers out a bit, we would have average crowds of about 100,000...
Edit: just noticed it's Bring a Friend weekend for season ticket holders. At least the club is moving in the right direction on this.

Dont know what this guy (Tony) is trying to say but there wont be many left by kick off.
Who can blame anyone for not taking the limited view seats , I've been in those at away games and it's very frustrating.
Love your pods with Beans ( not a pun ) very informative and realistic your comments and opinions are.
More of that please.

Cheers for the comments Finlay

If you do have a Sheffield Postcode (or even Rotherham/ Barnsley/ Chesterfield / Doncaster) why does the club just not ask for proof of address and grant the ability to buy general sale tickets? We have no local rivals in the prem anyway.

Regarding tourists and the odd bloke who is working away midweek and thinks about catching a game, I really cant think of a solution that isn't hugely flawed.

I feel slightly for the club as whatever they do to open doors to new customers, it will inevitably allow for away fans to take advantage.

Then he'd get a ticket anyway. Probably on the database since the last time we played them. You're stretching it a bit but then i'd say so what, he's not going to shit on his own doorstep is he?

What about fans that don't have a Sheffield or Burnley postcode? How do we know who they support?

If you do have a Sheffield Postcode (or even Rotherham/ Barnsley/ Chesterfield / Doncaster) why does the club just not ask for proof of address and grant the ability to buy general sale tickets? We have no local rivals in the prem anyway.

Regarding tourists and the odd bloke who is working away midweek and thinks about catching a game, I really cant think of a solution that isn't hugely flawed.

I feel slightly for the club as whatever they do to open doors to new customers, it will inevitably allow for away fans to take advantage.
Isn't that the same for every club?
But how do you attract fans otherwise?

Back
Top Bottom