Palace 2 United 0 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Podcast reaction and report below

---

New year, same old United as 2021 did not begin any better than 2020 as it was yet another defeat for the Blades. The latest team who were glad to have United as an opponent, after recent struggles, were Crystal Palace. United set a new record in ineptitude, as they now have the worst start of any Premier League side ever. Today they trailed after three minutes with a goal from Schlupp and then on half time a superb individual goal from substitute Eze killed the contest dead. In truth United had never really been in it from the off. Palace coasted to an easy win as the Blades struggled to create anything all game with a half chance from Bogle and teenage striker Hackford all they could offer.

The Blades had been ravaged by injury, COVID-19 issues and suspension and had a total of 9 players out in total and could only name 6 subs with one of them young Antoine Hackford, a 16-year-old. In came John Fleck, Oliver Norwood and a first start for Jayden Bogle. Out went George Baldock who was dropped for the first time this season and Jack Robinson and Rhian Brewster.

Palace had a far more experienced Premier League squad available and featured the likes of Zaha, Townsend, Benteke. The fact they had Eze, Ayew, Batshuayi on the bench as striking options showed the difference in the two match day squads.

The match began with Palace more of the aggressor and it was only three minutes old when the home side took the lead. A long ball went up and Zaha’s pace took him away from Egan who had been favourite to get it. Zaha held it up and played it across and Norwood in his attempt to clear deflected it into the path of SCHLUPP whose shot guided into the corner took a slight nick off Ramsdale before nestling into the corner.

United instantly changed things round with Basham going into midfield for Ampadu although it is debatable if we actually started in this way such was the confusion in the Blades side! Palace had more of the ball early on in attacking areas whilst United did have a lot of the ball but did nothing with it at all. Palace then had another chance but Townsend had a shot that was straight at Ramsdale.

Slowly the Blades did start to move up the field but did not look confident to even get the ball into the final third. A moment summed up the season when Osborn and Stevens both mis controlled it under no pressure whatsoever. Soon after Basham fired it at the hand of Bogle. United looked a shambles.

Palace were not having to get out of second gear and were happy for United to have it. They knew the away side had no idea at all. Zaha then skinned Stevens and got a free kick for a clumsy foul and the free kick was headed back across from Tompkins but Norwood cleared. United finally had an attack on the half hour mark but McGoldrick had no support and the eventual cross saw Basham chest out meekly and the chance, if you can call it that, had gone.

Zaha skinned Ampadu easily and his cross hit Benteke and deflected wide as Palace looked the more likely to score again. United continued to have a lot of the ball but slow, pedestrian build up with no penetration saw them struggle to even get in the Palace half. Eze came on for the goal scorer Schlupp, although why it took him 5 minutes to get treatment (what happened to stretchers?) and the incoming player was allowed to slowly get dressed as we all watched. Sadly, this peep show was about as exciting as this dull game got. Norwood tried to switch play but often when the Blades got it in the last third it came straight back to our half.

United did create a chance when Ampadu got down the right flank and put in a clever ball behind the channel to Bogle and he hit a shot on the angle that Guaita parried away. It was not really close to scoring and the goalkeeper may have been surprised to actually touch the ball but it was an effort and save non the less.

The game opened up a bit but after Basham stumbled and miskicked, Palace broke and Zaha embarrassed Ampadu with great individual skill saw him away. Bogle had to chop him down and was rightly yellow carded.

The referee gave an additional five minutes stoppage time for the Schlupp injury and it had ticked over this when the second goal came. Norwood had an appeal for a foul in the build up but a lot ensued after this. EZE broke away and jinked past Norwood easily and then an apology of a tackle from Ampadu saw him carry on and on. As Egan failed to close him down and the midfielder curled a delightful effort away from Ramsdale into the corner. Critics may say the keeper was slow to get down but it was fantastic goal. Wilder waited for the officials to criticise the additional time but this act smacked of one of desperation. His side had bee awful again and created next to nothing against a very ordinary Palace side who barely had to even really do much to be leading comfortably.

Benteke was the next Palace player to go off early after a dead leg and Ayew came on in his place. The next stage of the game saw United do nothing at all to suggest they could find their way back into the game. Fleck gave away two fouls as he was too slow to react to the man nipping in. Palace were cruising with Kouyatte and Tompkins picking up loose pieces all over the field. Palace were strolling things. Fleck gave it away again trying a silly flick and Palace broke with Norwood chopping down Ayew and getting a booking.

Shortly after Zaha was lucky to at least not be yellow carded when he did not get a foul after Bogle’s challenge but pushed his hand into the United player’s face. Bogle stayed on his feet as once again not only are we not Premier League level in ability but are not like many others and too honest. If only we had a Video Assistant Replay facility then maybe they could have looked at things!

Eze was booked for a tackle on Ampadu but the game really was over as a contest as Palace won two corners and United one but nothing came of these chances with Townsend shooting wide and then Fleck having an effort deflected over. Stevens gave it away and Ayew was nearly in but the ball was overplayed. United won another corner but this was cleared easily.

Zaha skipped away from three challenges and then teed up Townsend whose shot was wide. This was maybe the best chance for either side in a second half that had very few openings with Palace happy to hold what they had.

Hackford came on for his debut – becoming one of the youngest United players to play for the club joining Louis Reed also both debuted at 16 years but was slightly younger. Bogle then had a run forward but it took too long for Norwood to make a decision and it was cleared.

Zaha then showed a clean pair of heels to Ampadu and his pull back was into the path of Townsend and Egan did well to get his block in leading to a corner. Ramsdale dropped the cross under no pressure at all and United had to clear. The keeper seems to make at least one bad error every game and often his handling causes issues but today the game was already up before his latest mistake. In truth he could not be blamed at all for his shambolic performance.

The game entered the final 5 minutes but United simply looked clueless. Fleck was booked for another desperate challenge. The United players looked like they were running in sludge as Palace in comparison had quicker, more nimble and skilled players. In truth they barely needed to show much to be better than an abject Blades side.

In stoppage time Bogle and Basham worked a half chance and Hackford took a shot but it lacked direction and was blocked. It was at least an effort on goal and maybe his first and only touch of the ball. The full time whistle went soon after and it was another easy day and comfortable win for the opponent of United, who just strolled to an easy three points. The Blades had barely had a shot on goal and rarely an attack of note all game in a desperate showing.

United – I am not sure we win a game all season. We simply are awful. Abject. Even the crapper teams like Palace are miles better. It is depressing to watch and the players look like they do not want to be there. I keep hearing they are lots of effort but not sure there is even much of that now. They look like a side who has no belief they can even do the basics and it is not just control, passing and movement on the ball but off it we don’t tackle, press or win 50/50’s. There is no conviction to anything we do. That second goal summed it up. Players with pride and effort do not allow that.

We look beaten before games start. When the first went in, we may aswell have shook hands and walked off. The game was done. We had one half effort from Bogle and that was it. The second goal was pathetic from a few players namely Norwood and Ampadu but no one else went to the ball either so it was not just them. The second half was a non-event. It was like a testimonial/a practice game. I keep hearing we are not as bad as our points and we are not as bad as that Derby side. I am not sure that argument is valid. Other bad teams had shots or looked like scoring. They may have had some batterings but had a go too some respect (Norwich last season). We are an insipid, pathetic bunch. Wilder said we have a team full of captains a few years ago but that statement looks daft now. None of the senior players are showing any leadership whatsoever. No-one is looking angry or getting hold of them. Most seem to be accepting their fate which is now to be the worst team ever. Not just in top flight history but probably ever and the sides of Loughborough Town and Doncaster Rovers at the turn of the 20th century with 8 points seem miles off us and they got 2 points for a win!

Maybe it is just that these players are simply not good enough. They had great runs and moved up the leagues but the likes of Stevens (League Two), Baldock, Fleck, Basham (League One), Egan, McGoldrick, Norwood, Bogle (Champ) have played most of their career at these lower levels. None of these are kids. Maybe we have to accept they are lower league players. If this had happened last season it would not be an argument but how we have gone from what we did last campaign to now is so odd. Maybe all these players as Wilder said just came together and had a magical spell and all played their best football of their lives and now whilst they are not probably as bad as this, they are simply not up to this level. That allied to not even winning races, tackles, challenges sees a team that has no belief in each other, the system or that they can even have a meaningful attack. I mean that. They do no t even think they can get near the goal with intent. What a dire thought but sadly true.

We have gone for unproven (at this level) talents and of course should have spent less on fees/more on wages and got more experienced PL players but this is easy in hindsight. Brewster, Ampadu, Ramsdale, Bogle, Lowe, Osborn, Robinson are just not ready (may never will be) for this level. Yet a good portion of these are playing week in, week out and add these to the aforementioned out of form/dropped off lads who did well last season and it’s a prefect storm.

He keeps changing the team but of course will when we keep losing and today I thought he was right to at least hang our hat on Fleck/Norwood/McGoldrick/Mousset/Basham/Egan down the spine -players who were such a crucial part of last season but it did not work. We had a lot of the ball but had no penetration, running from deep and no movement. It was static and predictable. The forwards were slow and ineffective (constantly offside) and we got nothing from wide. It was dire. Only Bogle offered a bit and McGoldrick as well maybe. The rest were appalling. The fact he took Baldock out – been off last few weeks – to give Bogle a go showed he knows we are down and is starting to plan for next season. Brewster is now out of the team again and we have a 16-year-old school lad given a chance. It is all a bit desperate. We have no plan in team selection or how we play. He is trying different things but we look no nearer to improving. I am shocked he has not changed the formation though. I do not think we will do much better despite people thinking this will change things. Players who do not pass, run off the ball, show bravery and quality then it matters whether it is a 5-3-2 or 4-4-2 or whatever but surely, he has to change things as the players are not going to be any different? He is just doing the same thing with different players but we are actually getting worse.

Worryingly we have played some awful sides recently and they have beaten us easily. After Newcastle we play some of the better sides so will get worse before it gets better. As I say we are not going to get more than 3 or 4 points all season and that will be a stretch. Maybe we might draw with West Brom or a Brighton/Burnley at home at a push but not sure I can see a win coming anytime soon. We are not even close and it is an easy win. We are stinking up the league. The commentators keep throwing out how hard it will be and how difficult it will be. Have this for nothing Alan Smith or whoever, we are down. It is surely, done. No point wasting your breath or throwing up stats each showing our level of ineptitude. We are down and finished and were a long time ago. At least the cup is something different but the way we are playing and the lack of confidence I would not be confident we will even win there. Bristol Rovers will get stuck into our pathetic set of losers and it would not be a shock if we go out. It is an extremely depressing time to be a Blade and we are a laughing stock of world football.

We sadly have to play the games – I think if Wilder and his team had the choice – they would forfeit the season now. We have to turn up each week and keep losing. I am not sure I see any light at all other than the season is done in mid-May and we can start again. With the way COVID-19 is going we may not be back anytime soon but maybe that might not be the worst thing. I do wonder if say April-May we are allowed a few thousand who would want to go to watch dead rubbers at the Lane? Hopefully next season we all may get to see some games but it will be a long time before any of us are regulars again – maybe 2 or 3 seasons with capacity limits.

At the moment games are awful to watch. We are boring and our games are boring. It is awful and we are getting even worse. I never thought I’d see a team as good as the one last season but now within 12 months we are going to have the worst record probably a United team has ever had in history. Only Sheffield United could do this.

Ratings:

Ramsdale 5/10 – No chance on the first – hit Egan and maybe he might have got it if it had not hit him. Made one easy save and the second goal I do think he was slow down but Egan may have covered the ball and again given no protection whatsoever. It does seem shots go in quite easily but not sure we can keep picking fault in him. Other than this he did not have much to do. A few shots went wide or deflected and he saved one easy one. He dropped a cross again. He does every week and it is worrying we have a keeper who struggles with basic catching. Must be awful playing in our team though knowing you will have shot after shot coming in. He gets 5 as he had nothing to do so not sure how I can mark him up.

Bogle 4.5/10 – Thought he struggled defensively and the first goal he does not react at all. He was at fault for the first goal in that he does not see the runner and gets back way too quick. Did have a few moments going forward including the one shot first half but then chopped Zaha down. He struggled with quick runners and people going at him. A few times Zaha and Eze ran off him. He did have a few runs near the end of the game but lacked conviction and any belief he could create anything. Not sure he was any worse than the rest really and I thought he put a bit more effort in than most but quality wise and technically looks way off the level needed – as did Lowe.

Stevens 2/10 – Carried on his nightmare form. Looks like he just wants rid of it and has no confidence or composure at al. He looks so slow and cannot react at all to things. Gave away a series of fouls. One moment where Osborn kicked it him and he just kicked it out. Gave it away twice second half under no pressure. He looks woeful at the moment and nowhere near the player he was to start last season. If we could get Norrington Davies back and give him some games I would as we need to plan for next season. Sadly, not sure Lowe is the answer. Stevens looks like he is drunk. I do worry what has happened to players like him. It is like they do not even know how to do the basics anymore.

Basham 3/10 – Started at the back I thought but then went into midfield early on. He ran around but he looked like the early midfield Bash of League One and a bit out of his depth today. He looked clumsy and was poor on it but did not affect the game off the ball. He just ran around but they had quicker, more mobile and skilled players. He did set up the chance for Hackford but it was the poorest game he has had for some time. He was woeful today and I felt sorry for him as even he seems to have lost his belief.

Osborn 3/10 – Another who looks woefully out of depth. Touch wise it kept coming off him and too weak to impact things physically. Players looks stronger and faster and more skilled in every area. He has moved him to left wing back and left midfield but he is miles off a Premier League player in any position. He gets harried out of it or outmuscled routinely and when he gets on it he gives it away or plays a hopeful ball down the line. Just looks like it’s a standard too high for him.

Egan 4.5/10 – First goal he gets outpaced with ball over the top – a weakness of his. He should have done better maybe to get there and even if Zaha does get away he needs to be closer on the second bit and then kind of compounds it but deflecting in the goal. After this he kept plugging away but the strikers looked a bit quick and nippy. The second he does not properly close down and ends up providing a nice shield for the scorer. Did block a few shots second half but even then, they got away from us way too easy and they just ran off us. I feel he gets no protection though at all. His standards even dropped a bit today.

Norwood 3.5/10 – Thought he started better in that he actually went forward a bit with his passing and was not as negative. Some were a bit aimless but at least he got us up the pitch. He was involved at least but then slowly he started to regress. He lost it a few times and they ran away from him such as the goal as he could even point to where he should have been to stop Eze’s run. Then he got booked for a poor foul and second half he was woeful. He tried several crossfield balls that did not even get to Stevens and hit some bad corners. He had one half chance on another corner that came across but he dithered. Looks so slow and stuck in mud. Our midfield is pitiful in their lack of pace, class and strength. We look like u10’s against men’s footballers.

Fleck 2/10 – Given a start but he was terrible again. He had a bit of the ball early but just kept giving it to the nearest man and then hiding rather than going off into space to receive back. He then gave a few hospital balls and slowly got worse. He chopped his man down three times and finally got booked. Had one shot deflected over and one run forward but looks like a different player. He looks done and that is a big statement. Not sure what has happened to him, Stevens and Norwood but they literally look like players who you worry if they will still be playing in 2 years’ time at league level. That is a mad statement but it’s not just a confidence/touch thing. Those three players legs have literally gone. They cannot even run. It is hard to fathom but they look so heavy legged to the point where it is like the other teams are on speed boost constantly compared to ours.

Ampadu 2/10 – Might lose a load of marks for that challenge alone! He seemed to start the game in midfield but then ended up back in defence – as I say maybe he did not but seemed that way. Anyway, he was awful throughout with several weak challenges, misplaced passes and a real lack of intelligence. He looks a terrible player and I am not sure what he offers at all. I’d send him back. The way he let Eze run past him was appalling but not a surprise as he showed last week with the goal when he let the player beat him easily. He has been directly (yes others involved) at fault for two goals this week. Miles off ever being a top-level player. I can see him being loaned out again next year – he has another 2 years on his Chelsea contract but by the end of it you could see him ending up down the leagues.

McGoldrick 5/10 – Tried his best and maybe gets our least bad player (Man of the Match?!) by default. He at least tried to get on it a few times and came back to help our pathetic midfield. Got crowded out and not sure much came off. Twice he got in good positions but no one was up with him. Had one weak shot second half and he kept going but had no movement in front. Everyone, including me, will pick apart our midfield but our strikers (yes, I know he started there) do not move at all. They cannot even stay onside see below.

Mousset 2/10 – Anonymous. Barely touched the ball and was caught offside twice when he was not even watching. Had one run where he won a corner and not sure he touched it after that. He did not even move very much. Just looked stationery. He may not get much of the ball but he does not even show for it or make forward runs. One I cannot see being at the club come the summer. He had some talent but rarely plays and when he does is not impacting games at all.

Subs –

Brewster 2/10 – See Mousset. Not sure he had a kick really. Yes, we did not get it forward but he has to do more. Show for it, chase it, battle, win challenges. Once the ball was 70-30 his and he lost it and they just shrugged him off and came away from it. Not sure it is helping him being in and out. We may as well play him now and at least give him chance to develop. He is the future for us you would hope, not Mousset.

Hackford – Got 10 minutes and had a chance near the end which he maybe snatched at a bit but did more with getting in an area and having an effort than Brewster and Mousset in 90 mins combined really. He is probably miles off the Premier League in that he was playing u18’s a few weeks ago at Shirecliffe in a league that is against teams that are well below the Premier League and has not even been playing u23s but they must see something. Dream for him being a year 11 still I believe at Myrtle Springs School and from Arbourthorne. The only positive from today was him coming on and seeing his pride to play for his team.

Manager Wilder 1/10 – Not sure what more I can say. It’s awful to watch. We do not look like scoring, we look insipid, there is no quality, we are boring and rudderless. It is a team that looks a sorry set and has no belief. We do not look like we can score a goal let alone get a point or win a match. His job is to motivate, coach, instil pride, shape and a plan. At the moment he is not doing any of that. He can keep saying it is the players but at some point, the buck stops with him. He is serving this up. Week in, week out. Any other manager would have been sacked a long time ago. He stays rightly due to what he did before. Not sure there is any point changing it now. We are down. We need to see something in the remainder of the season to give us some hope for the Championship though. At the moment the notion this team will flick a switch as they are playing inferior teams I do not see. Of course, we will pick up points and wins but this group as it stands is miles off returning. They have no confidence in the set-up, way of playing or each other’s abilities. There is not leadership on or off the pitch and we are playing games to lose. Not sure what happens if we do keep losing. I do feel he may walk away but maybe he does not want to as he has too much pride but there comes a point where something will give. I would be surprised if we lose say every game till the end of the season and he remains. I want him to stay and would be gutted if he left, especially like this but feel it’s a close call now if he is here to start the Championship next season. There are no obvious contenders to replace him but as I say feel his professional pride will see him walk. He would give up a lot of money but think him and the Prince would come to some sort of arrangement.

I do wonder why none of the Radio Sheffield or national press ask him about if he is considering quitting or is thinking about his future or what he changes? They are being quite nice to him. Yes he gets prickly but surely a good journalist would be more quizzical on the dire state of things and ask specifically about what he will do.

I get he did not have much to work with. I do wonder why we did not postpone. We may have a few injuries and Lundstram suspended but it seems we have a number of players out with COVID-19 related issues. Burke, McBurnie, Sharp, Robinson to name a few you would think may be affected. It does seem odd Newcastle, City and Fulham have called games and I am struggling to understand when you can say you do not play? It seems to be very random. I do think if the club had asked for a postponement no one would have batted an eye lid. I get the impression Wilder and the club just want to get on with it. It is almost like they want to just get it over and done with. On one hand I like the fact we don’t give excuses and want to play but also you worry about the health risks etc and there is a fine line between just going out and playing and using common sense. Maybe that is harsh as we do not know the ins and outs.

Crystal Palace – Been really struggling recently but just rocking up was probably just the tonic for Roy Hodgson and co. I did think they may be near the bottom this year and be one of those to dip a bit but they held onto Zaha, signed Eze and a few others and you thought maybe they would have enough flair and creativity. They started the season ok but have really gone off the boil and had been on an awful run. Hodgson’s job was being discussed as being in doubt which I feel is harsh as he has done a solid job there. Like Dyche and Burnley, our last opponent, them just staying up is surely an achievement if you compare spending and resources to others. Granted at some point they will have to find a younger model so to speak but I would think he is as good as they will go, a steady pair of hands to keep them at this level for a few years. Still shocked Zaha has not moved on and feel for his own career he will have to sooner rather than later.

I know we had injuries but you could argue all 9 of the subs they had would get in our starting line-up. That may seem an outlandish comment but even Butland I think many may take over Ramsdale and he would have been a lot cheaper. They do have creativity and some goal threats in their side and a few players who can make things. They have a lot of functional players like McCarthy, Milivojevic and McArthur who offer legs, bite and the basis we do not have in midfield shows again the difference. Yet, last season we would not have swapped any of our midfield for those three!

Defensively they had gone 15 games without a clean sheet prior to the game which was 2nd worst to us but they do not concede loads really and like us had a fair few narrow defeats (outside Liverpool). They have only kept one clean sheet all season and we have kept none! You knew today they would get the next.

Today was easy. They scored early and are not a possession-based side so just let us have it and then picked us off on the break. I reckon if they wanted, they could have scored 4 or 5. I think they will be right near the bottom but were still miles better than us and have forwards we only dream of.

Opponent Man of the Match – Zaha. A really annoying t**t and lucky not to get a card; maybe even red but he is a talent and skinned our players several times. He was too good and we could not keep up with him and had to foul him. He embarrassed Stevens and Ampadu twice with outrageous skill. He set up a few other chances that were missed but assisted on the goal. Eze a player I would have liked us to sign and would have been a better option than Brewster as at least runs at people and creates scored a great goal and looked a threat on the break. Kouyate is a solid midfielder. Fast, athletic and strong. Good on the ball and progressive. Imagine that in a midfielder?!

Opponent Weak link – Not sure anyone really was bad. Keep saying this. They just did what they had to. Benteke maybe could fit in with our front line with his ponderous, slow and static play. McCarthur kicked one out of his own foot and I laughed as it was like something we would do.

Referee/Officials/VAR – Stuart Attwell. Actually, may sound like sour grapes but he gave us sod all. Every 50/50 went to them and he booked ours at the drop of a hat but let some poor ones go from them. Not sure there were many bad tackles all game. Suppose ours were cynical as we chopped men down. Eze was a bit late too but was right to be yellow. The officials should spot the Zaha one. He raised his hands. Red may have been harsh but has to be a booking. VAR surely has to tell him to have a look? Think even they wanted the game done. Not sure it would have mattered if they had 8 men at this point mind. The goal Norwood maybe got fouled well before the run Eze had and I felt he played a bad advantage. Did he play longer than he should have done? Maybe. I was more annoyed at the time the player was down injured and how long it took to sort it out. It is clutching at straws looking for officials mistakes as not sure there were many clear and obvious ones really even though we got little but not sure we ever run at players or commit men to get fouled.

Your point about other players looking like they're on speed boost is a good one. How has that come about? We all get that the players are playing badly but why do they ALL look slower? That's nothing to do with form and they're not old enough for their legs to have gone completely. It's literally like watching different men.

A new low today. It was the first time I really thought the players’ heads had gone and they might have lost faith in the manager and project. The defending for the second goal had the look of a broken team.

FWIW I’m pretty sure Ampadu started at RCB with Basham ahead of him in midfield.

Where was Andy? As if today couldn’t get any worse!
Only joking guys. Good listen as always.
Where do we go from here though?

Thanks for the report Deadbeat, can't have been easy. If only the players put as much effort in. Can't disagree with any of that. It's a sad state of affairs when a school kid offers more upfront in 10mins than Brewster and Mousset combined. You're right as well, can't see where a win is coming from and we're really gonna struggle to get 8 points. Really fear for what happens after Newcastle, could take some real beatings.

A new low today. It was the first time I really thought the players’ heads had gone and they might have lost faith in the manager and project. The defending for the second goal had the look of a broken team.

FWIW I’m pretty sure Ampadu started at RCB with Basham ahead of him in midfield.

You might be right - it was hard to tell as we were so all over the place. Ampadu seemed to be a bit further forward than Bash for the first minute but could be wrong!

To sit down and write about that shower of indifference calling themselves professional footballers is a great testament to you love of The Blades. I agree with all and its a shame the Players don't read it and realize that they are stealing a wage at the moment. Maybe they'll be a turn around but I don't see it. Thanks for your efforts. Shame about the few on the field.

Ampadu played at RCB from the start. He was further forward than Bash on a number of occasions. He just doesn't know how to play that role. That was part of the problem he looked completely lost. He jogs back for their first goal when Egan is left on his own to deal with Zaha. Gets back into position and then stands still letting the ball get played around him. He is a master at marking space but not any players.

CW says he saw effort, enthusiasm and commitment to-day. He needs to go to spec. savers, players just going through the motions now. Maybe he's just trying to keep them on board. We lack physicality, get knocked off the ball easily, don't win any second balls and have nothing left in the tank.

The flat midfield three needs to be consigned to the dustbin now. We won't get out of the Championship playing with this system. We won't score any goals either.

Even the PGMOL are taking the piss. Attwell the worst ref in the EPL for a game against Zaha and his collapsible colleagues. Laughable appointment. He gave us nothing as usual. Mind you it wouldn't have made any difference. 5 EPL games in charge and we've lost the lot.

Mousset 2/10 – Anonymous. Barely touched the ball and was caught offside twice when he was not even watching. Had one run where he won a corner and not sure he touched it after that. He did not even move very much. Just looked stationery.
I assume this is a typo, because a pencil sharpener would probably have shown more movement and sharpness.

Glad you posted this, was beginning to think you'd tossed yourself off the roof!
I did say on the podcast that he’s a pervert, but I think this would be too far.

I assume this is a typo, because a pencil sharpener would probably have shown more movement and sharpness.

I did say on the podcast that he’s a pervert, but I think this would be too far.

Wish I could rub him out.

Great report as usual.
To me it's a natural progression from the previous game(s) and the performance was to be expected. It confirms your point last week about the psychological damage being done with these performances and results. We has got to the position where there is no one to blame as it's all inevitable.
However I disagree about keeping Wilder on.The nightmare scenario for me is that he reorganises the squad,sells / buys and the downward spiral continues (particularly if the "depression " is ingrained)gets sacked and we are left with a squad which a new manager can't use in his system.
Safer to get a confident new manager to build his own team

I do wonder why none of the Radio Sheffield or national press ask him about if he is considering quitting or is thinking about his future or what he changes? They are being quite nice to him. Yes he gets prickly but surely a good journalist would be more quizzical on the dire state of things and ask specifically about what he will do.

We've had the most appalling start in top flight history and yet no journalists ask him any hard questions. He's kind of a mate to all of them and they seem to feel sorry for him. Someone has to push him about his transfer and playing the same system etc.

I'd also love to hear someone challenge him about his training ethos. He messed it up during lockdown and we've been half the team since in terms of fitness. It's trick at this time of year but we've played a game per week most of the season.

Great report but I’ve read a few on here saying that we won’t be regulars for three years due to Covid 19. If the vaccinations go as planned, why not? Once the 15 -20 vulnerable millions are vaccinated, the death statistics will drop. We’ve got to get on with our lives at some point, anything more and we will have a depression not a recession. Another 3 years of restrictions and there will be riots on the streets. I’m not trying to start an argument, just my opinion.

my feeling on the matter

Played a Palace team who had picked up 3 points from their last 5 games.

After we started so badly that they couldn't just give us the ball and counter on us as we kept giving it away, Palace literally ceded possession and waited to counter. It was so easy for them. They were pretty rubbish as well. Their two in centre midfield played really well, but outside that a bit of a stroll in the park for them. They were the team who should have taken chances to score more, not us.

We passed it from one side of the defence to the other with consummate ease. Even forwards occasionally before we passed it backwards again. There was a bit of excitement on the occasions we gave it away. Had like a handful of shots. None were anywhere near going in.

The funniest thing is that some people think this tea will come straight back up 🤣😂🤣🤣

Ramsdale - 6 - Not a great deal to do. Took one cross really well then dropped the next one and the for the 678th time this season got away with it.
Osborn - 4 - Headless chicken up and down the wing. Lots of energy, not much skill or intelligence. puffed and panted
Stevens - 3 - Shocking. Kept giving the ball away and doesn't look comfortable playing in the back 3 whatsoever
Egan - 6 - Made a couple of timely interception and was generally steady at the back. Didn't win enough headers for me.
Ampadu - 3 - Slow, lightweight, ponderous, prone to pass it straight to the opposition. weak for their goal
Bogle - 5 - Our saviour finally started after becoming the best midfielder in the world after one substitute appearance on the right. Plenty of energy and kept going but too weak and looked second best too often. Got forward pretty well but ineffective.
Fleck - 4.5 - Better but still way, way below last year's standards. At least was more involved but too slow to do anything and defensively suspect
Norwood - 3.5 - Far too slow on the ball. Most of his passes went to the opposition but he at least looked to try harder passes. Defensively dire and Eze went passed him like a child stealing sweats for the goal. People run passed and through him. Resembles a chocolate fireguard
Basham - 5 - Round of applause for his 300th game for the club but despite getting forward a few times and causing them problems he's far too slow to decide what to do with it when it comes down the right wing. Defensively, not great
McGoldrick - 5 - Came deeper and deeper to try and get the ball but then just passed it back to the defender. It doesn't seem an efficient way to play football. Basically played in midfield but slowed everything down
Mousset - 4.5 - Had very little service and almost zero support but at least pressed a little bit for once. Held the ball up slightly better but did very little

Brewster - 4 - Anonymous. Weak. Looks tidy whilst also being wholly ineffectual.
Hackford - 5 - Not much to do but didn't look out of his depth by any means

Wilder - 2 - Despite it not working for the last 20 games, decided to try it again. We were the poorer side from the off. Only managed to make 2 substitutions because only managed to put two attacking players on the bench. Surprised he didn't throw George on down the wing but that would have involved not continuing to do the things that hasn't worked for 20 games. Osborn made way for his tactical genius change he makes every game but which hasn't worked for I don't know how long. We are, as a team, merely making up the numbers.

Palace were poor but it was all too easy to beat us. Milivojevic and McArthur bossed Dosey, Bashful and Dopey in our midfield.

Good report on the match deadbat, thanks. I generally see things a little more positively than you i think but today I agreed with most of your ratings or I marked them even lower on the ratings function on this site.
I would say you are being a tad harsh on Wilder, he has had a lot go against him injury wise, key players dropping off form badly etc. He has made mistakes in his recruitment for sure but he couldn't have rebuilt the team in one window (which is looking like what was actually needed). He has got a huge rebuild job this summer. We need to build the group forwards with a new set of players who could actually thrive in the premier league. We have been found out with this current group and huge changes are needed.

I'm not going to read all that, it'd probably tip me over the edge but giving Ramsdale 5/10 is mental. He did nothing wrong the whole game and no other keeper would've been anywhere near those 2 shots.

Great report but I’ve read a few on here saying that we won’t be regulars for three years due to Covid 19. If the vaccinations go as planned, why not? Once the 15 -20 vulnerable millions are vaccinated, the death statistics will drop. We’ve got to get on with our lives at some point, anything more and we will have a depression not a recession. Another 3 years of restrictions and there will be riots on the streets. I’m not trying to start an argument, just my opinion.

My point is there won;t be capacity crowds at ground for a long time. We are not all going to be vaccinated by August I do not forsee and even with vaccinations, social distancing etc will still remain to some degree.

There will be crowds coming back but will be reduced to some degree for quite some time and games will be rotated around fans for every club. We are not going from nothing or 2,000 to 30-40,000 at grounds just suddenly from next season.

Not sure away fans will be allowed for some time either.

People said I was nuts for saying there would be no fans all of this season at the Lane - I got called out regularly for it - many said I was talking nonsense. I was not trying to be purposefully negative. Just how I saw it. Sadly that is how it is almost certain to be.

I hope you are right and I am wrong but this notion even with vaccines life is going to be back to normal is very hopeful.

Lots have said riots will happen last May and nothing has happened yet. Life has changed and sadly full football grounds/theatres/concerts etc may be a thing of the past.

I'm not going to read all that, it'd probably tip me over the edge but giving Ramsdale 5/10 is mental. He did nothing wrong the whole game and no other keeper would've been anywhere near those 2 shots.
He did nothing right either.

I wont give someone 7 just for playing. I'm not the Star.

What does he deserve more than 5 for - putting his gloves on?

He dropped another cross under no pressure which was about the only other thing he has to do.

He did nothing right either.

I wont give someone 7 just for playing. I'm not the Star.

What does he deserve more than 5 for - putting his gloves on?

He dropped another cross under no pressure which was about the only other thing he has to do.
So he was below average for dropping 1 cross? Yeah, ok.

Hate to be the maths wanker, but five is average when you’re grading out of ten.

So he was below average for dropping 1 cross? Yeah, ok.
He did nothing in the game. You say he did nothing wrong. He did nothing right also. Two goals went past him and he dropped a cross. Did not make one save (not his fault) but not giving someone a 6 or a 7 just for playing. If he'd made a few saves course I may have pushed him up.

Only if you're including 0/10, at which point you have 11 possible scores. The median and mean average of a 1-10 scale is 5.5.
Zero is a possible score, so of course I was counting it.

Only if you're including 0/10, at which point you have 11 possible scores. The median and mean average of a 1-10 scale is 5.5.

To confirm my range is 0-10. So 5 is the average. I've never given a 0. Or a 10. They are on my scale though.

The latter seems further off than ever from happening. The former someone may get very soon at thos rate.

You're spot on again, pal.
The only thing I'd add is that we are actually getting slower and slower as the season goes on. At one point today I genuinely thought Stevens had stopped entirely, his reactions are so bad.
It's been said by the management over the last few years that we target 'young, hungry players who have potential to improve and give us a healthy return on our investment', as well as a 'no dick-head' policy. I'd like to suggest that 'intelligence' is added to that requirement list. No player as genuinely 'thick' as Mousset should ever be considered, regardless of age or pace. The bloke is braindead and will never have the determination to get himself fit.
There were no real positives to take today. I can see the sense of sticking with Wilder but it's difficult to see the long-term vision when we are getting gubbed like this every week and fans getting upset is perfectly understandable. The club need to communicate a vision that we can all get behind. At the moment the excuses, lack of desire and sense of resignation coming from the club is deafening and very upsetting.
At this difficult economic and social time all we need is a team that cares and gives us everything.
We need 'Gladiator'. We're getting 'Titanic'.
UTB

Thanks for the report Deadbat

I can feel the frustration in your writing. Desperate times.

Miles away today.
Chasing shadows.
Men v Boys.

As if it wasn't bad enough, even Wednesday have started winning now.

Thinking of putting a tenner on Bristol Rovers to beat us.

Back
Top Bottom