P*ssing the Championship next season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I wanted to do a comparison here, but with so many changes every game from last March to today, it's impossible,
So without looking in a chrystal ball for the ins & outs

Ramsdale

Basham/Robinson Egan O’Connell

Baldock Osbourn/Lundstram Berge Fleck/Brewster Stevens

Mousett/Sharp McGoldrick/Burke

Looks pretty good to me in the Championship

The solid back 4 should help Ramsdale
The return of Berge will stabilise the midfield
Brewster flourished with Swansea
And it's make or break for Mousett

I'd put some money on that team for promotion

Unless we get Strikers with pace a new quality midfield a new cb and who knows if we will sell no chance plays offs best

Give me a break. Is that a joke? I won't certainly spend any time in order to demonstrate my point here to you. It's your job to read the threads, I'm not going to do that for you. Anyways, is your point that we're doing just fine, no need to worry, keep calm and trust the fantastic team and management to get us up in the fisrt bidding?
So can’t provide evidence? Thought just as much. And where have I indicated that everything is just fine?

I suspect there was an element of sarcasm in leaving it to the management and recruitment staff.
Who would do that?
Although maybe by then we will have a director of football who, hopefully, knows a bit about how to strengthen a squad and spend the transfer kitty really well.

Godfrey cost Everton £25m I think.
He was a good buy by Everton.
We should have gone to that source to get two or three players.
Daft really considering how bad they were last season.
Then again, we are even worse.

It’s all very well winning the Championship, but you then need a squad of players who are good enough for the next level.

We would realistically need to replace 75% of the current team to hold our own in the Premier League in two years time.

It’s probably a mute point anyway, because I don’t think there’s much hope of us going straight back up next season.
I hope you are wrong on your last point.
Unfortunately time is going to tell.
I cannot see how CW/AK can, or can be expected to, be prepared/ready/up for it or, possibly, even capable of turning us around and getting us out from where we are now.
They must be utterly battered, bruised, questioning their ability and everything they do. Can’t be an easy position to get themselves out of.

Unless we get Strikers with pace a new quality midfield a new cb and who knows if we will sell no chance plays offs best
We have Burke who is as quick across the ground as anyone in the PL.

I get pace is an asset, but it’s importance has mythical status in these ere parts.

UTB

We never piss anything......ever.
Even during the very rare period we are good enough we'll always play second fiddle to somebody

We're not as good as Bournemouth at the moment and their not exactly killing it

The squad as it is would be capable of a top 6 finish in the championship. This of course is provided the mindset is positive about that challenge. One thing that concerns me about a promotion challenge next season is our lack of creativity and attacking flair. Unless Brewster and McBurnie show they are capable of consistently scoring then we are in for a long season. The championship may look weak this season but it's never easy. Cardiff will improve under McCarthy. Forrest will improve under Hughton. There will be plenty of competition for us in the top half of the table.
The squad as it is needs an overhaul for a return to the PL to have a chance to establishing ourselves there. The problem is need 2 to 3 new midfielders plus a centre back.
I don't think as others do that we will have players poached by PL clubs. While we value Egan I don't think he is at the level to expect a lot of interest. JOC and Berge are our most saleable assets but both have serious injuries which is going to put teams off until they are back and playing well. That basically leaves Bogle who is promising but hasn't played enough yet for a large bid to be made for him. Any of the rest we would like to ship put won't be worth much. Based on this the squad changes will be limited as we have spent alot in the last few years.
The overhaul we need to come back and establish ourselves in the PL may take longer than we would like.

Listen to yourselves. Sounding as arrogant as the pigs.

We deserve nothing and have to earn every win.

Next season won't be easy by any.means.

Seen a point having been made more than a few people here, arguing that having gone down we’d be a much stronger side compared to the one that got us up into the PL. I don’t think it’s about any willingness on my part to be negative here; I just don’t get it, as I fail to see things that way. Could someone care to explain to me as to just why we’re supposed to be so much superior to the side, which – against the expectations, really, and with very few injuries to that – got us up two years back. (?)

What I, sadly, can see is this: Sharp and McGoldrick started the last game (as I think they should’ve done, too), and I should suspect that they’re not an improved strike forced in the Championship compared to as it was two years back. Both are also getting ”old”. The ”exciting young forwards” (Does that really include McBurnie & Burke??) can’t cut it in the Prem any better than McG and Sharp, so how should we be sure they’d do a better job a level below? Sure, McB and Brewster have banged in goals for Swansea, but how much had that to do with the way the team played? Are we somehow going to play to their strengths or so? Hands up, I’m simply asking, as I said.

Midfield, then, Bogle surely is a welcome addition. Sadly, to me it seems, he’s filling the boots of someone who really could’ve done better this season, but is not a real problem in the line-up. I think Baldock is good, and will raise the level of his game. Berge will be gone in the summer, and even if he was to stay, I struggle to see whether he really fits the ’system’ we play and are so fixated on. Lundstram wasn’t there in the promotion season. Norwood and Stevens were, but ae they + just are they going to get back any composure?

Basham I think would still be a welcome player in the team, despite of his age, but are we sure he’s going to stay? Egan would be solid, methinks, but I can see him possibly leaving. JOC will be back from a loooong injury (means I think he won’t be sold/move forwards), so I fail to see how after that he would somehow be better than two years back.

Anyways, there’s also a lot of talk about our strengthening the team/squad in the summer etc. I’d like that, but I wouldn’t be too optimistic about us bringing in many new players. Prince has just lost quite a bit of money squandered on ******** ****, so I personally can’t see that happening other than in some fans dreams. The Prince also wasn’t exactly splashing out money when we were in League One or in the Championship; indeed he’s also been in the papers saying things like as to how prudently sports teams should be financially managed, so, after our recent experiences, do you really think he’ll give CWAK loads of cash to spend on players? And if CWAK will need to proceed with selling players to get the cash to buy new ones, well, then I can’t see much money coming in from any transfers. Who would we sell with a profit, f. ex.? And the teams currently in the EPL, more than hingry for money & knowing we’ll get parachute payments, do you reckon they’ll sell cheap?

Just imo, if there was a contingency plan in place, taking into account that we may well be relegated this season, then I can’t personally see any gain in letting L. Freeman to go, and swapping C. Robinson for Burke and some little cash.

Anyways, do please cheer me up and destroy all the ’negative’ points I’ve made above. (!) I’m not at all averse of us playing next season in the Championship like it was a walk in the park, and then bounce back like I see Norwich is in the course of doing. Cheers.

When next season starts, im gonna wake up, get out of bed, yawn and stretch, stand bare foot on three points. I'll open me sock draw, three points. Stumble down stairs and open fridge, three points. Walk in to living room, trip over three points. Turn telly on, three points. Seem abit uncomfy, am i sat on something? move cushion, oh three points. The only thing you need to worry about is will we get the record points total or not?

OH WHEN THE BLAAAAADES....

We never piss anything......ever.
Even during the very rare period we are good enough we'll always play second fiddle to somebody

We're not as good as Bournemouth at the moment and their not exactly killing it
Agreed.

2016/2017 was a very close run thing. Nails bitten right till the last kick.

I think CWAK came into a completely demoralised club who were about to start their 6th season in League 1. Chris Wilder improved every single aspect of the club and has done so again even during a horrendous season. We now have a £10mil training and fitness facility about to be completed which will help players fitness and recovery, he has introduced Bogle and the phenomenal pace of Burke was well as the future talent of Brewster.
We play the system slightly different in the Prem with the flat middle three instead of double pivot and No.10 (Duffy Dowell) role. I think we will return to this and therefore become more attacking in the Championship.
We have battle hardened Prem defenders who should limit the amount of shots on Rammers with cover for JOC in Bryan (Rodwell was supposed to cover Bash).
We have five strikers to chose from, 2 of which scored 20 or over goals in the Championship in the promotion season. Not sure what the OP means by style if you look at McBurnie's Swansea goals, he scored quite a few headers (crosses from our overlaps should help that in the Championship) and the other goals from all over the place. When he is not facing world class defenders week in week out stopping crosses you would fancy his chances again.
I'm not relishing the return due to how good last season was, however I don't think it's something we should worry about or not enjoy. If we get negative about it then the season could be a complete dud before we start.
So if CWAK can take a demoralised club from it's nadir to 100 points in a season and then two seasons after to the Prem I'm fairly sure with a couple of additions in midfield we can have a good season in the Championship.
On another note I happened to catch Wendy's defence against Brentford on Quest and therefore realised that a derby is highly unlikely. Now there's a set of supporters that should be negative.

I think the Prince needs to think this hard
If it's wilder back him with the wages we can still get quality in the Championship but the defence should be back together need possibly 2 good midfielders and I'd say 2 strikers of quality pace but something different to what we have

What does that have to do with Sander Berge?

Sheffield United will not sell a player for £30m anytime soon, we don’t have the bollocks to hold out for top dollar. If we get our money back on Berge I’d be surprised.

The reality of a high wage bill (even with relegation clauses), no fans and lower than normal parachute payments will probably mean that we will need to sell a few of our more valuable players.
How much lower are parachute payments this season?

How much lower are parachute payments this season?
10% was reported in line with the overall loss in TV income, around £9m on £90m over 3 years I assume. Ideally it would only apply to year 1 and then it's £4.5m but I bet it won't be.

The Championship is a very different game. It is physical, with man to man marking, followed by big boot with all heads going up in the penalty area. Many mediocre teams thrive on this.
How will they cope with the dazzling Total
Football we have served up for the last season? They’ll be quaking in their boots.

Seen a point having been made more than a few people here, arguing that having gone down we’d be a much stronger side compared to the one that got us up into the PL. I don’t think it’s about any willingness on my part to be negative here; I just don’t get it, as I fail to see things that way. Could someone care to explain to me as to just why we’re supposed to be so much superior to the side, which – against the expectations, really, and with very few injuries to that – got us up two years back. (?)

What I, sadly, can see is this: Sharp and McGoldrick started the last game (as I think they should’ve done, too), and I should suspect that they’re not an improved strike forced in the Championship compared to as it was two years back. Both are also getting ”old”. The ”exciting young forwards” (Does that really include McBurnie & Burke??) can’t cut it in the Prem any better than McG and Sharp, so how should we be sure they’d do a better job a level below? Sure, McB and Brewster have banged in goals for Swansea, but how much had that to do with the way the team played? Are we somehow going to play to their strengths or so? Hands up, I’m simply asking, as I said.

Midfield, then, Bogle surely is a welcome addition. Sadly, to me it seems, he’s filling the boots of someone who really could’ve done better this season, but is not a real problem in the line-up. I think Baldock is good, and will raise the level of his game. Berge will be gone in the summer, and even if he was to stay, I struggle to see whether he really fits the ’system’ we play and are so fixated on. Lundstram wasn’t there in the promotion season. Norwood and Stevens were, but ae they + just are they going to get back any composure?

Basham I think would still be a welcome player in the team, despite of his age, but are we sure he’s going to stay? Egan would be solid, methinks, but I can see him possibly leaving. JOC will be back from a loooong injury (means I think he won’t be sold/move forwards), so I fail to see how after that he would somehow be better than two years back.

Anyways, there’s also a lot of talk about our strengthening the team/squad in the summer etc. I’d like that, but I wouldn’t be too optimistic about us bringing in many new players. Prince has just lost quite a bit of money squandered on ******** ****, so I personally can’t see that happening other than in some fans dreams. The Prince also wasn’t exactly splashing out money when we were in League One or in the Championship; indeed he’s also been in the papers saying things like as to how prudently sports teams should be financially managed, so, after our recent experiences, do you really think he’ll give CWAK loads of cash to spend on players? And if CWAK will need to proceed with selling players to get the cash to buy new ones, well, then I can’t see much money coming in from any transfers. Who would we sell with a profit, f. ex.? And the teams currently in the EPL, more than hingry for money & knowing we’ll get parachute payments, do you reckon they’ll sell cheap?

Just imo, if there was a contingency plan in place, taking into account that we may well be relegated this season, then I can’t personally see any gain in letting L. Freeman to go, and swapping C. Robinson for Burke and some little cash.

Anyways, do please cheer me up and destroy all the ’negative’ points I’ve made above. (!) I’m not at all averse of us playing next season in the Championship like it was a walk in the park, and then bounce back like I see Norwich is in the course of doing. Cheers.
This squad wont bounce back without surgery ,ime sure the prince and CWAK are aware of this.

Sorry but I really don't see us pissing the league next season we've too many medium player types, we've never done it before when coming down from top league. In addition we are on the run from hell and no matter what division we're in it will be a bind to break it, I may be wrong but I myself don't expect me to be around next time we go up.

We will need to return to our formation of the promotion season and find a Duffy replacement first. We can all remember how uninspiring the midfield trio of Evans, Lundstram & Fleck was, and in essence setting up as we do now is the same. It worked fine last season in a higher league where we needed to be more defensively robust, doing so next season in the Championship will be really underwhelming. I hope Wilder isn't wedded to the formation.

Back
Top Bottom