P*ssing the Championship next season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

No he's been 'part of' a poor defence for two seasons, he is also culpable. If he was playing in Burnleys team for example he would make their defence considerably weaker and they would drop a lot of points because of it. Stick Ramsdale in Burnleys net and they would be on similar points to us and West brom
You’re doing some flipping rather than answering simple questions. I’ll put you out of your misery. Given what you’ve posted in this thread I don’t think you know what you’re talking about and I hold no value in your insight on this matter. Probably best trying to convince others who may agree with your view of him and are happy to believe your alternative facts. This isn’t going anywhere.

Last edited:

You’re doing some flipping rather than answering simple questions. I’ll put you out of your misery. Given what you’ve posted in this thread I don’t think you know what you’re talking about so as I hold no value in your insight. Probably best trying to convince others who may agree with your view of him and are happy to believe your alternative facts. This isn’t going anywhere.
No I'm not, I'm just explaining he was part of the problem with Bournemouths defence as he has been for us this season... Is it that hard to understand?

Anyway can't be arsed with this anymore, we will see next season.

Norwich are making a fair old fist of it right now.

Mind you, I don't think we will. But you've got to give it them, they found a really good balance between selling some of the best players and keeping others.
yes norwich are cruising it this season and have got the balance right i think we will do similar 2/3 will be sold but reckon we will bring at least 6 in i agree we probably wont do what norwich are doing but i think united west brom and fulham will all be top 6 next season the championship is a poor quality league thesedays

No I'm not, I'm just explaining he was part of the problem with Bournemouths defence as he has been for us this season... Is it that hard to understand?

Anyway can't be arsed with this anymore, we will see next season.
Our defence has been makeshift at best this season and I would guess Ramsdale has faced twice as many crosses and shots than Hendo did last season which magnifies Ramsdale errors

Sell berge for 30m plus 10/15m from the prince, add 3 quality midfielders and genuine competition for ramsdale, strikers non-issue for me, defence ,no issues there ....all equates to 100 points and another promotion party.....wheel out stearman and it'll be a great season
£30m for someone who’s played a handful of games for the team who will probably finish bottom?!

Looking at our last two season should give us all a clue to the fact .that all we're doing right now on here is just blowing hot air.
Who would have predicted last season ? Who could have predicted this ?
Lets face it it's all a game and your guess is as good as mine....... :tumbleweed:

The Championship is a very different game. It is physical, with man to man marking, followed by big boot with all heads going up in the penalty area. Many mediocre teams thrive on this.

Walking the league isn’t something I’d agree with. What I do believe is the squad is stronger than the last promotion season.
Rammers, RND, Stevens/Lowe, JoC, Egan, Bash, Baldock/Bogle is a very good defensive unit at Championship level. Folk are saying we will lose JoC, Egan maybe Baldock but will we?
They’re all under contract so only if we need to cash in, and we’ve been very prudent with our spending.

At the top of the pitch we’ve got an aging Billy and Dids who shouldn’t be our first choices in an ideal world, but most Championship teams would love to have McBurnie and Brewster and with the more expansive setup and lower quality opposition I genuinely believe they’ll hit similar scoring marks as they did at Swansea. Burke will also be a key asset with his pace always a threat, especially later in games if it’s stretched and there’s Hackford who I’m guessing we’ll make a decision on in the summer if he’s ready for that level or would benefit from a loan.
So, again for me that’s a very good attacking squad for the level we’re likely to be at.

The huge elephant in the room is the midfield but whether we see a slight formation change or not that needs overhauling. Fleck will stay and probably Norwood as I can’t see us getting offers. Osborne again probably as a support player unless he can get a move also probably stays. Berge is anyones guess, depends on if someone is willing to pay £25M for a still unproven promising kid, I’m not so sure.
Given all that, unless we sell I don’t think they’ll be £20m + being spent improving, but there is the 5 loans which should be loan to buy so you aren’t rebuilding again in 12 months if we go up.
Mowatt is an absolute no brainer and I’ll be a bit miffed if we do nothing there especially on a free and I’m sure some funds, competitive for the Championship, will be available.
Given that framework I think there’s a really good chance of building an automatic promotion squad, even if we do move some players on.
very good points well made! although with Mowatt i wouldn’t be surprised if an EPL team came knocking, he was TOTY last season and i could see this even more likely to happen if cash strapped Norwich or thrifty Brentford go up.

Your point about loan to buy is a great one and tbh i would be chuffed if our 21/22 window is keeping the core of our squad, and 3-5 fringe epl players on loan (i keep banging on about him, but we MUST go for Jake Clarke-Salter at lcb - he fits the profile in a position which we are struggling in). We also have to rebuild the midfield and this is going to take a lot of money and time - but less so with loan to buy signings

How much did Ben Godfrey cost?
What does that have to do with Sander Berge?

Sheffield United will not sell a player for £30m anytime soon, we don’t have the bollocks to hold out for top dollar. If we get our money back on Berge I’d be surprised.

We don't have to sell him???

The reality of a high wage bill (even with relegation clauses), no fans and lower than normal parachute payments will probably mean that we will need to sell a few of our more valuable players.

The Championship is indeed very different I have watched quite a lot of games this season and think the football basically suits Wilders tactics. In the Championship the ball is turned over much more frequently. If a team loses the ball they get it back fairly quickly. The difference between the good teams and the rest is where they win the ball back. the best sides win it back higher up the field, therefore get more scoring opportunities. The weaker sides tend to win it back in their own defensive third and give it away before getting it into the attacking third. This means they are more under pressure. The only way weak teams counter that is hoof or more regularly they knock it across the back four pretending to be classy passing sides before then hoofing it Wilder's system is made for Championship football. High press and numbers out wide to create overloads will be beneficial against 2/3 of the sides in the championship. Promotion is therefore determined by the results against those teams who play in a similar way, pressing high, or those teams who have the quality to give the ball away less. Our weaknesses in the past have been a lack of players who actually run at players and draw out organised defences and players that can shoot from distance. Have our signings of Boggle, Brewster McBurnie Mousett addressed this, we will have to wait and see. The other weakness is that we are actually poor when teams actually run at us with the ball, I don't think Premiership teams have ever actually worked this out thank god.

What does that have to do with Sander Berge?

Sheffield United will not sell a player for £30m anytime soon, we don’t have the bollocks to hold out for top dollar. If we get our money back on Berge I’d be surprised.

The reality of a high wage bill (even with relegation clauses), no fans and lower than normal parachute payments will probably mean that we will need to sell a few of our more valuable players.
I really don't see a scenario where we need a fire sale.

I don’t know about performances next season but I’ll be glad if we see back of our awful away kits - tonight we wearing that awful green and gold abomination at Fulham. Isnt great for tv either

This will be a Championship game next season... We look truly shit

I posted this prior to yesterday's game. Anyone having had a change of heart on the matter since, this way or another? Does it still look like we're going to p*ss the Championship next season? If not, why not. If yes, why so?

I posted this prior to yesterday's game. Anyone having had a change of heart on the matter since, this way or another? Does it still look like we're going to p*ss the Championship next season? If not, why not. If yes, why so?
Who’s said we’re gonna piss the league next season?

All these posts about planning ahead / for next year.

Utterly pointless and futile from a fans perspective.

Even for the gaffer and recruitment team, they will know from experience to expect the unexpected !!

No idea what the squad will look like. Both incomings and outgoings.

Why bother until at least July ??

UTB
I can't see as to just why it would be pointless, being a huge fan myself. (Or are you questioning that?) If all speculation, be it about the future (here: next season), be it about the line-up in the next game, be it what ever - well, if you see all that as pointless, I should say that, following logically from that, most of the content on the forum could be categorised as being 'pointless'.

As for the gaffer, I'd rather he didn't know from the experience to expect the unexpected the way he does. To me it's seems like he's been expecting something unexcepted to come out of over-priced s*it time and time again, wasting some serious money in the process.

Recruitment team? What's that? I mean, I've heard some top clubs have such, but what does that have to do with us? Wilder seemingly still insists on being in sole control of recruitment. Which might be kind of undestandable. After all, he's bought McB, C Robinson, L Freeman, Mousset, Brewster, Ramsdale and all the other, 'exciting young lads'...

It’s all very well winning the Championship, but you then need a squad of players who are good enough for the next level.

We would realistically need to replace 75% of the current team to hold our own in the Premier League in two years time.

It’s probably a mute point anyway, because I don’t think there’s much hope of us going straight back up next season.

Who’s said we’re gonna piss the league next season?
Erhm. Like someone in almost every f*cking thread here recently. I won't hazard guess as to why you haven't seen it, if you've read more than one or two threads here during the past weeks.

Erhm. Like someone in almost every f*cking thread here recently. I won't hazard guess as to why you haven't seen it, if you've read more than one or two threads here during the past weeks.
If it’s so commonly said on here then it shouldn’t be any trouble for you to find one then. I’ve seen people fancying our chances at bouncing back or finishing top 6 at least. I wouldn’t count that as thinking we’ll “piss the league”.

It’s all very well winning the Championship, but you then need a squad of players who are good enough for the next level.

We would realistically need to replace 75% of the current team to hold our own in the Premier League in two years time.

It’s probably a mute point anyway because I don’t think there’s much hope of us going straight back up next season.
Sticking strictly on the issue of our expected bounce back to the PL, I must sadly say it looks like a perverse fantasy to me. Can't see us getting back any time soon. And to do even that, I'd think we ought to replace 75% of the current team to make it even a possibility. Call me negative, I am.

I can't see as to just why it would be pointless, being a huge fan myself. (Or are you questioning that?) If all speculation, be it about the future (here: next season), be it about the line-up in the next game, be it what ever - well, if you see all that as pointless, I should say that, following logically from that, most of the content on the forum could be categorised as being 'pointless'.

As for the gaffer, I'd rather he didn't know from the experience to expect the unexpected the way he does. To me it's seems like he's been expecting something unexcepted to come out of over-priced s*it time and time again, wasting some serious money in the process.

Recruitment team? What's that? I mean, I've heard some top clubs have such, but what does that have to do with us? Wilder seemingly still insists on being in sole control of recruitment. Which might be kind of undestandable. After all, he's bought McB, C Robinson, L Freeman, Mousset, Brewster, Ramsdale and all the other, 'exciting young lads'...
I’ll amplify by giving just one example. There are countless others tbh.

JOC.

Popular opinion is that he will be with us at the start of next season. Won’t have “proved” he is recovered from a serious injury for clubs to take a “risk” on a transfer.

But does that stop 1 club enquiring ?

Would that stop Utd wanting (or having) to sell ?

What about the player and his agent ? Money talks for the most part and players don’t usually like pay cuts like the ones heading the way of pretty much all our squad on relegation ?

It’s just impossible to know if there will be PL interest in any of our players, but you would have to expect it for a handful of them.

All of the back 5 IMHO.
Fleck for sure.
Sander - most definitely.
Dids - hell yes.

Maybe a few others.

Thats maybe as many as 10-12 that “might” depart.

Add in the likes of Sharp, Norwood, Moose, Burke who might feel a change of scenery is in order and all of a sudden, it becomes an exodus.

Clearly ALL of these won’t pan out in the one summer window. But I am expecting significant turnover this next window for one reason or another.

And that’s why threads like this are a waste of time. IMHO.

UTB

If it’s so commonly said on here then it shouldn’t be any trouble for you to find one then. I’ve seen people fancying our chances at bouncing back or finishing top 6 at least. I wouldn’t count that as thinking we’ll “piss the league”.
Give me a break. Is that a joke? I won't certainly spend any time in order to demonstrate my point here to you. It's your job to read the threads, I'm not going to do that for you. Anyways, is your point that we're doing just fine, no need to worry, keep calm and trust the fantastic team and management to get us up in the fisrt bidding?

I’ll amplify by giving just one example. There are countless others tbh.

JOC.

Popular opinion is that he will be with us at the start of next season. Won’t have “proved” he is recovered from a serious injury for clubs to take a “risk” on a transfer.

But does that stop 1 club enquiring ?

Would that stop Utd wanting (or having) to sell ?

What about the player and his agent ? Money talks for the most part and players don’t usually like pay cuts like the ones heading the way of pretty much all our squad on relegation ?

It’s just impossible to know if there will be PL interest in any of our players, but you would have to expect it for a handful of them.

All of the back 5 IMHO.
Fleck for sure.
Sander - most definitely.
Dids - hell yes.

Maybe a few others.

Thats maybe as many as 10-12 that “might” depart.

Add in the likes of Sharp, Norwood, Moose, Burke who might feel a change of scenery is in order and all of a sudden, it becomes an exodus.

Clearly ALL of these won’t pan out in the one summer window. But I am expecting significant turnover this next window for one reason or another.

And that’s why threads like this are a waste of time. IMHO.

UTB
Well, you better not waste your time, then. Ah, oops, you just did, btw. Wrote many pointless sentenses to thateffect, too. (??)

Back
Top Bottom