P*ssing the Championship next season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Flying Duck

The "Bladiest blade" there ever was.
Reaction score
Seen a point having been made more than a few people here, arguing that having gone down we’d be a much stronger side compared to the one that got us up into the PL. I don’t think it’s about any willingness on my part to be negative here; I just don’t get it, as I fail to see things that way. Could someone care to explain to me as to just why we’re supposed to be so much superior to the side, which – against the expectations, really, and with very few injuries to that – got us up two years back. (?)

What I, sadly, can see is this: Sharp and McGoldrick started the last game (as I think they should’ve done, too), and I should suspect that they’re not an improved strike forced in the Championship compared to as it was two years back. Both are also getting ”old”. The ”exciting young forwards” (Does that really include McBurnie & Burke??) can’t cut it in the Prem any better than McG and Sharp, so how should we be sure they’d do a better job a level below? Sure, McB and Brewster have banged in goals for Swansea, but how much had that to do with the way the team played? Are we somehow going to play to their strengths or so? Hands up, I’m simply asking, as I said.

Midfield, then, Bogle surely is a welcome addition. Sadly, to me it seems, he’s filling the boots of someone who really could’ve done better this season, but is not a real problem in the line-up. I think Baldock is good, and will raise the level of his game. Berge will be gone in the summer, and even if he was to stay, I struggle to see whether he really fits the ’system’ we play and are so fixated on. Lundstram wasn’t there in the promotion season. Norwood and Stevens were, but ae they + just are they going to get back any composure?

Basham I think would still be a welcome player in the team, despite of his age, but are we sure he’s going to stay? Egan would be solid, methinks, but I can see him possibly leaving. JOC will be back from a loooong injury (means I think he won’t be sold/move forwards), so I fail to see how after that he would somehow be better than two years back.

Anyways, there’s also a lot of talk about our strengthening the team/squad in the summer etc. I’d like that, but I wouldn’t be too optimistic about us bringing in many new players. Prince has just lost quite a bit of money squandered on ******** ****, so I personally can’t see that happening other than in some fans dreams. The Prince also wasn’t exactly splashing out money when we were in League One or in the Championship; indeed he’s also been in the papers saying things like as to how prudently sports teams should be financially managed, so, after our recent experiences, do you really think he’ll give CWAK loads of cash to spend on players? And if CWAK will need to proceed with selling players to get the cash to buy new ones, well, then I can’t see much money coming in from any transfers. Who would we sell with a profit, f. ex.? And the teams currently in the EPL, more than hingry for money & knowing we’ll get parachute payments, do you reckon they’ll sell cheap?

Just imo, if there was a contingency plan in place, taking into account that we may well be relegated this season, then I can’t personally see any gain in letting L. Freeman to go, and swapping C. Robinson for Burke and some little cash.

Anyways, do please cheer me up and destroy all the ’negative’ points I’ve made above. (!) I’m not at all averse of us playing next season in the Championship like it was a walk in the park, and then bounce back like I see Norwich is in the course of doing. Cheers.

Seen a point having been made more than a few people here, arguing that having gone down we’d be a much stronger side compared to the one that got us up into the PL. I don’t think it’s about any willingness on my part to be negative here; I just don’t get it, as I fail to see things that way. Could someone care to explain to me as to just why we’re supposed to be so much superior to the side, which – against the expectations, really, and with very few injuries to that – got us up two years back. (?)

What I, sadly, can see is this: Sharp and McGoldrick started the last game (as I think they should’ve done, too), and I should suspect that they’re not an improved strike forced in the Championship compared to as it was two years back. Both are also getting ”old”. The ”exciting young forwards” (Does that really include McBurnie & Burke??) can’t cut it in the Prem any better than McG and Sharp, so how should we be sure they’d do a better job a level below? Sure, McB and Brewster have banged in goals for Swansea, but how much had that to do with the way the team played? Are we somehow going to play to their strengths or so? Hands up, I’m simply asking, as I said.

Midfield, then, Bogle surely is a welcome addition. Sadly, to me it seems, he’s filling the boots of someone who really could’ve done better this season, but is not a real problem in the line-up. I think Baldock is good, and will raise the level of his game. Berge will be gone in the summer, and even if he was to stay, I struggle to see whether he really fits the ’system’ we play and are so fixated on. Lundstram wasn’t there in the promotion season. Norwood and Stevens were, but ae they + just are they going to get back any composure?

Basham I think would still be a welcome player in the team, despite of his age, but are we sure he’s going to stay? Egan would be solid, methinks, but I can see him possibly leaving. JOC will be back from a loooong injury (means I think he won’t be sold/move forwards), so I fail to see how after that he would somehow be better than two years back.

Anyways, there’s also a lot of talk about our strengthening the team/squad in the summer etc. I’d like that, but I wouldn’t be too optimistic about us bringing in many new players. Prince has just lost quite a bit of money squandered on ******** ****, so I personally can’t see that happening other than in some fans dreams. The Prince also wasn’t exactly splashing out money when we were in League One or in the Championship; indeed he’s also been in the papers saying things like as to how prudently sports teams should be financially managed, so, after our recent experiences, do you really think he’ll give CWAK loads of cash to spend on players? And if CWAK will need to proceed with selling players to get the cash to buy new ones, well, then I can’t see much money coming in from any transfers. Who would we sell with a profit, f. ex.? And the teams currently in the EPL, more than hingry for money & knowing we’ll get parachute payments, do you reckon they’ll sell cheap?

Just imo, if there was a contingency plan in place, taking into account that we may well be relegated this season, then I can’t personally see any gain in letting L. Freeman to go, and swapping C. Robinson for Burke and some little cash.

Anyways, do please cheer me up and destroy all the ’negative’ points I’ve made above. (!) I’m not at all averse of us playing next season in the Championship like it was a walk in the park, and then bounce back like I see Norwich is in the course of doing. Cheers.
You seemed to assume we will not add to the squad
Surely it will be as strong then, especially with players who are more experienced than when we went up.
However I do not expect it to be easy and worry that if we are promoted then the squad will not be as good in 2022/3 as the previous one that was promoted.

Walking the league isn’t something I’d agree with. What I do believe is the squad is stronger than the last promotion season.
Rammers, RND, Stevens/Lowe, JoC, Egan, Bash, Baldock/Bogle is a very good defensive unit at Championship level. Folk are saying we will lose JoC, Egan maybe Baldock but will we?
They’re all under contract so only if we need to cash in, and we’ve been very prudent with our spending.

At the top of the pitch we’ve got an aging Billy and Dids who shouldn’t be our first choices in an ideal world, but most Championship teams would love to have McBurnie and Brewster and with the more expansive setup and lower quality opposition I genuinely believe they’ll hit similar scoring marks as they did at Swansea. Burke will also be a key asset with his pace always a threat, especially later in games if it’s stretched and there’s Hackford who I’m guessing we’ll make a decision on in the summer if he’s ready for that level or would benefit from a loan.
So, again for me that’s a very good attacking squad for the level we’re likely to be at.

The huge elephant in the room is the midfield but whether we see a slight formation change or not that needs overhauling. Fleck will stay and probably Norwood as I can’t see us getting offers. Osborne again probably as a support player unless he can get a move also probably stays. Berge is anyones guess, depends on if someone is willing to pay £25M for a still unproven promising kid, I’m not so sure.
Given all that, unless we sell I don’t think they’ll be £20m + being spent improving, but there is the 5 loans which should be loan to buy so you aren’t rebuilding again in 12 months if we go up.
Mowatt is an absolute no brainer and I’ll be a bit miffed if we do nothing there especially on a free and I’m sure some funds, competitive for the Championship, will be available.
Given that framework I think there’s a really good chance of building an automatic promotion squad, even if we do move some players on.

All these posts about planning ahead / for next year.

Utterly pointless and futile from a fans perspective.

Even for the gaffer and recruitment team, they will know from experience to expect the unexpected !!

No idea what the squad will look like. Both incomings and outgoings.

Why bother until at least July ??

UTB

• Banned
Walking the league isn’t something I’d agree with. What I do believe is the squad is stronger than the last promotion season.
Rammers...

Ouch, I forgot about goalkeeping. That is also a massive minus compared to how it was with Deano on the goal.

Even for the gaffer and recruitment team, they will know from experience to expect the unexpected !!

UTB

Because if we waited until July, all our first choice targets would be off elsewhere.

Rammers, RND, Stevens/Lowe, JoC, Egan, Bash, Baldock/Bogle is a very good defensive unit at Championship level. Folk are saying we will lose JoC, Egan maybe Baldock but will we?
They’re all under contract so only if we need to cash in, and we’ve been very prudent with our spending.

At the top of the pitch we’ve got an aging Billy and Dids who shouldn’t be our first choices in an ideal world, but most Championship teams would love to have McBurnie and Brewster and with the more expansive setup and lower quality opposition I genuinely believe they’ll hit similar scoring marks as they did at Swansea. Burke will also be a key asset with his pace always a threat, especially later in games if it’s stretched and there’s Hackford who I’m guessing we’ll make a decision on in the summer if he’s ready for that level or would benefit from a loan.
So, again for me that’s a very good attacking squad for the level we’re likely to be at.

The huge elephant in the room is the midfield but whether we see a slight formation change or not that needs overhauling. Fleck will stay and probably Norwood as I can’t see us getting offers. Osborne again probably as a support player unless he can get a move also probably stays. Berge is anyones guess, depends on if someone is willing to pay £25M for a still unproven promising kid, I’m not so sure.
Given all that, unless we sell I don’t think they’ll be £20m + being spent improving, but there is the 5 loans which should be loan to buy so you aren’t rebuilding again in 12 months if we go up.
Mowatt is an absolute no brainer and I’ll be a bit miffed if we do nothing there especially on a free and I’m sure some funds, competitive for the Championship, will be available.
Given that framework I think there’s a really good chance of building an automatic promotion squad, even if we do move some players on.

Yup. The midfield recruitment could decide next season. I’d love Berger to play every game next year but if we turn his fee into two good signings then I fancy us. If not, I don’t....

On the plus side, losing Lunny is actually less of a blow in the league below, as I think we’ll dominate possession more, which is where he struggles.

I think we do need a new experienced goalkeeper tbh. Moore, verrips, eastwood and wes can go.

The squad will be stronger than the team who came up

What people seem to be overlooking is confidence and momentum. A team and a manager went up on a wave of good form, and exciting new formation and way of playing, few injuries and fearlessness. We come down a team basically relegated in January full of injuries and with a manager relegated for the first time in his career.

When we went up, we did not have the second best squad. Individually, our players weren't the second best in the league.

We've lost all that. Unless there are a lot of changes, we will not be pissing any league. Doesn't mean we'll lot be in and around the play-offs, as we were for so many seasons.

I liken our situation, in many ways, to Huddersfield, and look where they are.

UTB
Why bother planning?!!

I think that with MCB and Brewster, they've scored goals in the league below. One of which was top three in the league before he came to us (MCB) the championship is a poorer standard of football imo, you're allowed to make mistakes whereas in the premier League, you make a mistake you're punished 99.9 percent of the time.

We'll definitely recruit in some form, and I'd say we'll have some clout with the parachute payments, it's not about outspending everyone in the league, even one or two smart acquisitions would add to an already quality championship team.

I think a good look at the tactics employed would be beneficial, as the system isn't working (sorry wilder, it's not. Anyone with eyesight can see this) if Berge has to go to fund the transformation so be it. But if he stays, and we hit some form, him with fleck and another would arguably be the best midfield in the league, with (historically speaking) two up front that are best in the league, with a decent keeper (ramsdale) and a pretty solid back line.

Nothing to fear imo, not guaranteed promotion, but I'd say we're in with a very good shout.

UTB
I hope you're not indicating that I'm no fan? Anyways, this speculation by me - I think it's granted as a response to some other speculation, which it is. As for what is pointless, I think that A): most of the stuff on message boards is in a way 'pointless', anyways, and B): one could also argue that it is pointless to watch another SU game this season. To each their own. UTB.

History shows that when we go down from the top division we go down to the third division shortly after.

There are many reasons for this but the main one is that after having the lowest wage bill in the Premier League we'll then do our best to "achieve" the lowest wage bill in the Championship.

Dicksplashes on here will then try to justify this tight arsedness in spite of us ending up in League One again.

History shows that when we go down from the top division we go down to the third division shortly after.

There are many reasons for this but the main one is that after having the lowest wage bill in the Premier League we'll then do our best to "achieve" the lowest wage bill in the Championship.

Dicksplashes on here will then try to justify this tight arsedness in spite of us ending up in League One again.
Yes might be a clapper at the minute but got to agree with that , hopefully with KM out now it will be a bit different

It’s obvious we need to rebuild the squad with younger players, for an assault on the Championship next season. We are definitely a squad transition, but a club like ours simply can’t do that in the glare of Premier League.

1994. Relegated. 2006. Promoted back.
Twelve years. No L1.

UTB
Next season is a time of hope, the remaining games this season are a time of pain. Hence why people are looking for solace by dreaming of a brighter future 😂

Sell berge for 30m plus 10/15m from the prince, add 3 quality midfielders and genuine competition for ramsdale, strikers non-issue for me, defence ,no issues there ....all equates to 100 points and another promotion party.....wheel out stearman and it'll be a great season

Ramsdale will concede a lot of goals at championship level, a lot of teams play more direct with early crosses into the box and big lads up for set pieces, which he is simply not very good at

The three teams relegated from the Premier league last season are all in the Championship top six, so I would expect us to make a strong challenge.

I don't think anyone thinks we'll piss the Championship, just that we're better now than the last time we were there. Berge is better than post-injury Coutts. Brewster/McBurnie/Burke is better than Hogan/Madine/Washington. Bogle and Lowe are better back ups/competition than Keiron Freeman and Marvin Johnson. The problem is that we don't have any idea how many of our players will still be with us next season, and we don't know how many of the players who were great for us last time (Norwood, Stevens etc.) still have it.

Back
Top Bottom