Overnight queuing at the Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bricktop

Reaction score
Following on from the loyalty point debate, has anyone ever done this before.

I've done it twice. Once for Newcastle in the FA Cup, and once for the Luton game when we had already been promoted to the Premier League under Warnock.

I reckon anyone who has ever done this deserves to be retrospectively awarded an extra 5,000 loyalty points each.

Did it for stoke last season was absolutely Baltic, will probably go very very early for Tottenham tickets.

I've done it twice. Once for Newcastle in the FA Cup, and once for the Luton game when we had already been promoted to the Premier League under Warnock.

I reckon anyone who has ever done this deserves to be retrospectively awarded an extra 5,000 loyalty points each.

10000 each then for those who had contacts at the Lane and who could stay in the pub nice and warm until closing and then get a good nights sleep.

Simpler times.....

I was first in the queue once
Can't remember what game it was for though
Went down to the lane with a few cans at 11 pm the night before they went on sale

Blackburn in 1993 although the ticket office opened much earlier than planned because it was a very cold night. Saw a drunk Blade fan wanting to fight one of the stewards inside the South Stand (we were ushered inside the stand because of the cold) before he got thrown out.

Liverpool in 2003

Bournemouth last August as I have 50000 points and found out that there were only 200 tickets left for the 2nd day so I was the first in the queue from 11pm (luckily I had already booked the day off work)

Never done overnight but been there at 6 in morning for semi final tickets,play off final tickets etc. Fortunately I now work for a tv company who have an office based in Sheffield so can get away tickets when I want them. Spurs away & Liverpool away already sorted. Sorry folks. I am a season ticket holder for over 30 years though so hit me with pelters all you want.

Blackburn quarter final. Ticket office opened at silly o'clock in the end rather than the next morning as planned. Pretty sure we got our tickets by about 1am.

Took the gear to kip on the South Stand concourse which ended up slightly flooded after our game of football broke a pipe.

Blackburn quarter final. Ticket office opened at silly o'clock in the end rather than the next morning as planned. Pretty sure we got our tickets by about 1am.

Took the gear to kip on the South Stand concourse which ended up slightly flooded after our game of football broke a pipe.
Do you remember a drunk Blade trying to have a fight with a steward? I think it was because he had an issue with him in the past at one match. A few fans grabbed hold of the drunk, told him to calm down but he wouldnt and kept threatening the steward before being thrown out.

Never overnight but remember queuing round the car park and onto Shoreham street... Probably because I didn't go overnight 😂

Last time I did it was for Burnley play off final, left it till last minute to get tickets. Remember the queues round the pitch and stadium for the Newcastle semi-final in 98.

think we'd just played someone like Southampton away and the tickets went on sale Sunday morning

Queued overnight for Newcastle in 97. I think it might’ve even been a Saturday night. I couldn’t afford a season ticket as I was a student

The bloke living on cherry st took issue with the noise, kicked off and I think the police even turned up.

Don’t remember it being particularly cold, just boring

Done it a few times. Liverpool 2003 I went to the Lane straight from the leadmill. I also remember them using the home turnstiles to sell tickets through, rather than the ticket office. Can’t remember the game but might have been the replayed Arsenal one.

Did it for Liverpool second leg in 2003

I always used to send a postal application in for any games that were in danger of selling out. Someone on the old BU forum pointed out that the ticket office used to deal with these at the same time as people were queuing. Never failed.

Do you remember a drunk Blade trying to have a fight with a steward? I think it was because he had an issue with him in the past at one match. A few fans grabbed hold of the drunk, told him to calm down but he wouldnt and kept threatening the steward before being thrown out.

I remember a few bits going off.

Deffo remember one bloke going mental because he'd been to Southampton and was too late to join the queue (handed raffle tickets out so they knew when all the tickets would be sold).

In the late 50's and into the 60's we had serious cup runs regularly and regularly filled Bramall Lane with the capacy 57000 crowds.

Burnley, Norwich, Arsenal, SWFC ( just shy of 60000); then there were the 3 Semi-finals v Leicester.

Never queued overnight but my parents set the alarm around 6am and queuing for major matches seemed a regular event on Sunday mornings.. We queued at designated Kop John Street turnstiles and the queues wrapped all along Shoreham Street. Terrific banter, family queues, flasks, sarnies. I've a Sheffield Star photograph somewhere and will try to reproduce it on here. We used to get fully kitted out in match gear - scarves, bobble hats and rattles!!!

No yobs, no bad language, no hassle or rage. Sense of 'club', even 'family'.

I remember a few bits going off.

Deffo remember one bloke going mental because he'd been to Southampton and was too late to join the queue (handed raffle tickets out so they knew when all the tickets would be sold).

I went to Southampton ( Zico stunner) and we went like the clappers back in the car straight to the lane to queue. Got there around 8 and there were 100 plus already queuing! Had a few choice words to say !!

We got one the 500 available tickets. Happy they sold them during the night eventually.

Queued at the others like Silent too.

A few queued last Thursday for West Ham. My lad being one of them. Started arriving about 6.30am so by some of the stories on here a bit lightweight !

I went to Southampton ( Zico stunner) and we went like the clappers back in the car straight to the lane to queue. Got there around 8 and there were 100 plus already queuing! Had a few choice words to say !!

We got one the 500 available tickets. Happy they sold them during the night eventually.

Queued at the others like Silent too.
Zico stunner was in January 1992. We lost 3-2 at Southampton in February 1993 when supporters coming back from the Dell found that they were too late for the Blackburn ticket queue.

Not overnight but joined queue at 4.45 am for man u game in cup in 1990 and the queue was already nearly out of the car park, by the time I got my ticket it had gone out of the car park, down Shorham and was onto John st!

In those days of queuing, and no loyalty points, l'm sure I remember kids being passed down the queue, over people's heads, to the front , making sure they got a ticket......

Zico stunner was in January 1992. We lost 3-2 at Southampton in February 1993 when supporters coming back from the Dell found that they were too late for the Blackburn ticket queue.

oops. Memory fail re result/game details but did join the queue straight from The Dell.

Back
Top Bottom