Over 30 years of Blades shirts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1970firstmatch

Reaction score

My elder brother has been going to the Lane for over 50 years. He started collecting shirts in the mid to late 80s. He has just given me this
collection of over 50 shirts. I feel quite humble as he isn’t well and knows I will treasure these shirts in the same way he always has. I am going to go to each of the next 50 matches in a different shirt.

I would love to see pics of any other Blades who have similar collections.

Great stuff.
Can I suggest you go to the Man U game in the shirt Deano scored the first ever Premier League goal.
I think that is a fantastic idea. Liverpool match could be the game Tonge scored two late goals. I could turn up in the shirt of some of our great wins against Premier League opposition..

View attachment 58349

My elder brother has been going to the Lane for over 50 years. He started collecting shirts in the mid to late 80s. He has just given me this
collection of over 50 shirts. I feel quite humble as he isn’t well and knows I will treasure these shirts in the same way he always has. I am going to go to each of the next 50 matches in a different shirt.

Blimey this made me drool!

Potentially 1000 poll questions here!, best home, best away etc. or other important things like:
I noticed is the DeSUN one on the right. I suggest that tradition or not, don't wear this if hot day. I remember wearing this at winter matches and thinking I was getting heatstroke! What the feck was that made out of?! Awful thing. The one I wear in the house (and now, is comfy, and properly striped. The malta one next to the left most flourescent one with black sleeves. Really good shirt this one).

That really is a cracking collection 1970firstmatch .

Great stuff.
Can I suggest you go to the Man U game in the shirt Deano scored the first ever Premier League goal.
I think that is a fantastic idea. Liverpool match could be the game Tonge scored two late goals. I could turn up in the shirt of some of our great wins against Premier League opposition..

bold: almost wish I hadn't read this post now! 😂

However, noticed one shirt for this, Leicester away.

I know always mixed thoughts on looking like a highlighter pen, but I liked it!

It's a big part of the Leicester day too. It's definitely in my top 10-20 most memorable moments of the day. (and in top 1-5 most memorable matches)

If I could get a ticket to either home or away, I'll dig mine out :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-07-28 Over 30 years of Blades shirts.png
    Screenshot_2019-07-28 Over 30 years of Blades shirts.png
    352.5 KB · Views: 23
Great stuff.
I think you have hit on a winner there mate. Just wondering if long suffering members will still fit in that Deano shirt. :)

As an aside, my personal favourite is the one with narrow red, white and black stripes. No idea why, but it must bring back happy memories.

Great collection, what a gift ! I've got all these too, apart from four - the 'diamond' home, the navy blue/jade 'laver', the navy blue 'desun', and the white 'midas', all of which I'm not really keen on.

Got mine out of storage to do a stock check, a few weeks ago.

Here are some pics ...

Attachments

• IMG_5523.jpg
    IMG_5523.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5525.jpg
    IMG_5525.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5527.jpg
    IMG_5527.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5574.jpg
    IMG_5574.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5578.jpg
    IMG_5578.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5579.jpg
    IMG_5579.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5580.jpg
    IMG_5580.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5581.jpg
    IMG_5581.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 52
If anybody is interested I spotted this for sale the other day, pricey but I believe its quite rare.

Great collection, what a gift ! I've got all these too, apart from four - the 'diamond' home, the navy blue/jade 'laver', the navy blue 'desun', and the white 'midas', all of which I'm not really keen on.

Got mine out of storage to do a stock check, a few weeks ago.

Here are some pics ...

The long sleeve 1989 away. Through gritted teeth "I'm so happy for you"

Wow there are quite a few blades with fantastic collections. Im just loving the idea of going to matches on wherever the mood takes me. I’m not sure I will be wearing this years shirt much but I could well be in five years time when I look back an amazing five years in the Premier League and Wilder is being touted for the England job.

BTW, as we're talking shirts, I'm selling this 'spare' on ebay at the mo', if anyone's interested in a player issue shirt from 93/4 ?

It's a true dreamboat that.

Blimey this made me drool!

Potentially 1000 poll questions here!, best home, best away etc. or other important things like:
I noticed is the DeSUN one on the right. I suggest that tradition or not, don't wear this if hot day. I remember wearing this at winter matches and thinking I was getting heatstroke! What the feck was that made out of?! Awful thing. The one I wear in the house (and now, is comfy, and properly striped. The malta one next to the left most flourescent one with black sleeves. Really good shirt this one).

That really is a cracking collection 1970firstmatch .

I have two of the Desun shirts. One from my brother and one from Michael Tonge. I was his PE teacher for 5 years just outside Manchester. Fantastic player at school but even better seeing him a Blades shirt from the age of 16.

I’m sure that Desun shirt is made out of the hair from a Himalayan mountain goat, so warm.

Attachments

• Tongue shirt.jpg
    Tongue shirt.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 19
Just spied this beauty on ebay, if anyone's got £900 (!!!) to spare ?

Blimey! Wish I'd had bought a few more now.

I wonder what the oldest ones are worth. I watched a docu some years back about when a company in UK first started making them. I think was mid 70s. Wish I could remember the name (or the maker) to find it on youtube. It was surprisingly interesting.

View attachment 58349

Will you wear them in season order starting oldest first? or randomly. They sure look like they have been treasured .Think many Blades like myself might be slightly envious.

All the best to your Brother too mate.

Who do you think would have played number 11?
In 1980/81 season the number 11 was worn by (all competitions);
Martin Peters 27 times
John Ryan 15 times
Barry Butlin 9 times
Phil Jones twice
In 1979/80 it was worn by;
Phil Jones, Dougie Brown, Jeff Bourne, once
Ian Benjamin 4 times
Steve Charles 9 times
Paul Garner 12 times
Alex Sabella 28 times
IF it’s a genuine match worn shirt it has no sponsor so I would say it was probably an Anglo Scottish Cup game pre season possibly before Cantors were announced as sponsor? (Silent Blade ?)
If so you can narrow it down to three.
Dougie Brown once
Sabella twice
Paul Garner 4 times
Now let me guess which one you might hope it belonged to
o_O🙏

In 1980/81 season the number 11 was worn by (all competitions);
Martin Peters 27 times
John Ryan 15 times
Barry Butlin 9 times
Phil Jones twice
In 1979/80 it was worn by;
Phil Jones, Dougie Brown, Jeff Bourne, once
Ian Benjamin 4 times
Steve Charles 9 times
Paul Garner 12 times
Alex Sabella 28 times
IF it’s a genuine match worn shirt it has no sponsor so I would say it was probably an Anglo Scottish Cup game pre season possibly before Cantors were announced as sponsor? (Silent Blade ?)
If so you can narrow it down to three.
Dougie Brown once
Sabella twice
Paul Garner 4 times
Now let me guess which one you might hope it belonged to
o_O🙏
How jealous would we be if it's Dougie Brown...

Blimey! Wish I'd had bought a few more now.

I wonder what the oldest ones are worth. I watched a docu some years back about when a company in UK first started making them. I think was mid 70s. Wish I could remember the name (or the maker) to find it on youtube. It was surprisingly interesting.
At Sheffield auction gallery in the last 3 years or so we’ve seen match worn away shirts for the 81/2 4th division championship season go for about £600-650 with commission with the number 6 (John McAlle or Tony Kenworthy) and number 9 (Steve Neville or more likely Keith Edwards) on the back.
Last year saw a 1970ish match worn shirt with the number 2 on the back (Badger) fetch £900-950 with commission. The eBay one (Mark Todd) isn’t worth £900 but probably the same as the 81/2 season shirts just because of the actual shirt rarity

Back
Top Bottom