Outstanding GK Performances Against Us

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Stebop

Reaction score
The all-time favourite Wednesday player thread has had me reminiscing about just how good Kevin Pressman was whenever we played them - he was absolutely brilliant to be fair!

I've been watching us since 1989 (what a season to start by the way) and I've been thinking about the best goalkeeping performances I've seen against us in that time. Probably very obscurely, I remember Shaka Hislop for Reading being absolutely brilliant against us at the Lane. Can't remember the season, but it left a huge impression on me to the point I followed him throughout the rest of his successful career.

Ben Foster vs Watford at home is the obvious candidate for this season, but which goalkeeping performance would you nominate for the best you've ever seen against us?

Bonus question - what is the best performance by a Blades GK you've witnessed? I'd probably go Alan Kelly vs Wednesday in the FA Cup semi, but Mel Rees vs Liverpool was bloody amazing too 😭

David Seaman's save from Asaba/Pesch is possibly one of the best I have ever seen, equal to Banks's against Pele. How the fuck he managed to reach backwards and flick the ball practically off the line is what makes just 'goalkeepers' from 'excellent goalkeepers'.

But agree. Pressman, for a bit of a chippopotamus, was certainly saving his best for us. Except Browny's volley, which would have beat six fatty Pressmen.

pommpey

David Seaman's save from Asaba/Pesch is possibly one of the best I have ever seen, equal to Banks's against Pele. How the fuck he managed to reach backwards and flick the ball practically off the line is what makes just 'goalkeepers' from 'excellent goalkeepers'.

But agree. Pressman, for a bit of a chippopotamus, was certainly saving his best for us. Except Browny's volley, which would have beat six fatty Pressmen.

pommpey

Yep - Seaman's save was the single best save I've ever seen against us, probably the best I've ever seen against anybody to be right! What a twat 🙂

pommpey

It was an impossible save. Saying that Jags should have buried the rebound.

Phil Parkes (QPR) November 1970
Jim Montgomery (Sunderland) February 1971
John Burridge (Blackpool) August 1974
Pat Jennings (Spurs) November 1974
Jimmy Rimmer (Arsenal) December 1974

I remember my dad writing in his letter to me at school in Sept 1975 saying that our shots kept hitting every part of Kevin Keelan's body except for his arms or hands. He added that it was the luckiest goalkeeping performance he had ever seen

pommpey

Twas good but certainly not equal to Banks you watch them both then watch them in slow mode that’s not equal to Banks

I don't know his name but I remember Gillinghams keeper having a brill game before jamie Murphy's 96 min winner in lg 1,
That 2nd half is right up their with the villa game, we absolutely battered them non stop, I can remember going mental when Murphy scored

Phil Parkes (QPR) November 1970
Jim Montgomery (Sunderland) February 1971
John Burridge (Blackpool) August 1974
Pat Jennings (Spurs) November 1974
Jimmy Rimmer (Arsenal) December 1974

I remember my dad writing in his letter to me at school in Sept 1975 saying that our shots kept hitting every part of Kevin Keelan's body except for his arms or hands. He added that it was the luckiest goalkeeping performance he had ever seen
I particularly remember the Jimmy Rimmer performance.

At risk of posting in wrong thread, but did Shilton have a bad time or two against woody
Boxing Day 1970 . We were awarded a free kick at Kop End. As Woody was about to take it, a firework exploded in the Kop but the quick thinking Woody bent the free kick round the wall and into the net. Peter Shilton never moved (probably stunned by the firework explosion and losing his concentration). In the programme for the next home game it said that they were unable to take a photo of the goal because Woody was "too quick" for the photographers

September 1971

December 1972, Woody scored against Shilton from a penalty and again in October 1973 also in November 1975 at Stoke

October 1977 Woody scored with a volley against Shilts in John Harris testimonial

Kevin fat twat pressman. Every bastatd time he faced us.

I don't know his name but I remember Gillinghams keeper having a brill game before jamie Murphy's 96 min winner in lg 1,
That 2nd half is right up their with the villa game, we absolutely battered them non stop, I can remember going mental when Murphy scored
Was it Jason Brown or summat? I remember a shortish Gillingham keeper being decent whenever we played em

Yep - Seaman's save was the single best save I've ever seen against us, probably the best I've ever seen against anybody to be right! What a twat 🙂
I were about 10 rows back directly in line with peschi (stood up ready to celebrate on the picture) and I still can’t fathom it

Seem to remember Milija Aleksic having a stormer for Luton at The Lane, late 70's ?
Can't remember the score but can remember thinking we should get him signed.

Back
Top Bottom