Player Suggestion Out of contract

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
There's a few useful PL players out of contract this summer in positions we need. Obviously depends on how we finish the season and other competing club's finances. Bettis' statement was reassuring but surely we would look at a couple of frees to bolster the squad, especially if we qualify for Europe. Would you take any of these?

GK (presuming Hendo isn't loaned again)
Ben Foster
Joe Hart

RB (Cover for Baldock)
Nathaniel Clyne

CAM
Adam Lallana (currently on about 110k so not likely, but would be a good sub if we changed formation to 3-4-1-2 to chase a goal or 3-5-1-1 to see a game out)

With the possible exception of Foster, who I feel would push Henderson for the #1 jersey (assuming of course that DH returns), I can't see CW being interested in any of the others.

TBH I'd rather have Simonsen or Iain Turner back than sign Hart.

I suspect most signings over summer will be via the extended scouting network across Europe rather than already established Prem players - possible exceptions being from the clubs that go down, particularly if that includes Bournemouth or Brighton

Rather than free transfers, I think we might exploit Championship clubs more than anything and pick up a couple of bargains.

Clyne has been unfortunate with injuries and I'm not sure he is as good as he once was. He needs to go somewhere where he will play and Baldock is in the form of his life here with some room yet to get better.

The others - nah! Always liked Lallana but not sure where he would fit in here, also not sure about our willingness to pay at the level he would likely want/expect.

Foster would be good if cannot get DH

Clyne is a good shout!
Personally I can see us going for Naughton covers LWB and RWB.

Id take foster but I could see him staying put. The rest I don't have much interest in.

With the possible exception of Foster, who I feel would push Henderson for the #1 jersey (assuming of course that DH returns), I can't see CW being interested in any of the others.

TBH I'd rather have Simonsen or Iain Turner back than sign Hart.

I suspect most signings over summer will be via the extended scouting network across Europe rather than already established Prem players - possible exceptions being from the clubs that go down, particularly if that includes Bournemouth or Brighton

Crazy how his form dropped off as sharply as it did. He has 4 Premier League Golden Gloves.

Let's go all out Fifa and grab the following...

Modric
Chiellini
Mertens
Thiago Silva
Cavani
James Rodriguez
Banega
Matuidi
Garay
Hakimi
Gotze

All showing as contracted until 2020.

English based players:

David Silva
Vertonghen
Willian
Milner
Giroud
Pedro
Foster
Ryan Fraser
Claudio Bravo
Clyne
Robbie Brady
Baines
Manquillo
N. Mendy
Hendrick

There's a few useful PL players out of contract this summer in positions we need. Obviously depends on how we finish the season and other competing club's finances. Bettis' statement was reassuring but surely we would look at a couple of frees to bolster the squad, especially if we qualify for Europe. Would you take any of these?

Ben Foster
Joe Hart

RB (Cover for Baldock)
Nathaniel Clyne

CAM
Adam Lallana (currently on about 110k so not likely, but would be a good sub if we changed formation to 3-4-1-2 to chase a goal or 3-5-1-1 to see a game out)

I'm not usually one to rubbish people's suggestions but Lallana is on circa £110k a week at the bin dippers.

Even if he prepared to take a huge wage drop to ensure he gets 1st team football he would still probably want at least £50k a week putting him comfortably our highest earner and I'm really not sure where he would fit in. He'll end up at somewhere like Palace or West Sham where they're happy to pay big bucks towards someones retirement pot.

Foster is a great shout and ideally we would get him perm and Hendo on loan to fight for the No1 spot but again at this stage in his career I'm not sure Foster would want to sit on the bench and he would be an expensive reserve.

Let's go all out Fifa and grab the following...

Modric
Chiellini
Mertens
Thiago Silva
Cavani
James Rodriguez
Banega
Matuidi
Garay
Hakimi
Gotze

All showing as contracted until 2020.

English based players:

David Silva
Vertonghen
Willian
Milner
Giroud
Pedro
Foster
Ryan Fraser
Claudio Bravo
Clyne
Robbie Brady
Baines
Manquillo
N. Mendy
Hendrick
We were strongly linked with Jeff Hendrick at ten million last season

We were strongly linked with Jeff Hendrick at ten million last season

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Hendrick arrived in the summer. Rumours we were in for him at £10m if he signed a new contract but that has broken down by all accounts so he's available on a free.

I can't imagine our Irish lads won't be having a word in his ear if the rumours are true and we're interested.

Wouldn't be a certain starter but would be a cracking freebie.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Hendrick arrived in the summer. Rumours we were in for him at £10m if he signed a new contract but that has broken down by all accounts so he's available on a free.

I can't imagine our Irish lads won't be having a word in his ear if the rumours are true and we're interested.

Wouldn't be a certain starter but would be a cracking freebie.

He'd be a very solid option.

Yep, agree with others about Hendrick - he'd provide good competiton to Lundstram for the RCM role.

Rather than free transfers, I think we might exploit Championship clubs more than anything and pick up a couple of bargains.

I think you're right, but I'm also hoping we sign more players from abroad. Players from far away countries whose names we've never heard of and can't pronounce. That's what excites me. The less vowels the better. Names that look like they've been conjured up from a random set of letters on a Scrabble rack. That's what we need.

How about this guy?

1590125773068.png

(Watch somebody find a clip of him on YouTube and claim they've known about him for years) ;)

Ben Foster
Joe Hart

RB (Cover for Baldock)
Nathaniel Clyne

CAM
Hello, Mr Blackwell.

Foster would be good if cannot get DH

Clyne is a good shout!
Personally I can see us going for Naughton covers LWB and RWB.
KN is barely an average Championship player now. Just don't see that at all

I'm not usually one to rubbish people's suggestions but Lallana is on circa £110k a week at the bin dippers.

Even if he prepared to take a huge wage drop to ensure he gets 1st team football he would still probably want at least £50k a week putting him comfortably our highest earner and I'm really not sure where he would fit in. He'll end up at somewhere like Palace or West Sham where they're happy to pay big bucks towards someones retirement pot.

Foster is a great shout and ideally we would get him perm and Hendo on loan to fight for the No1 spot but again at this stage in his career I'm not sure Foster would want to sit on the bench and he would be an expensive reserve.
If we went for Foster then we wouldn't be getting Hendo and vice versa.

Moore or Verrips will play back up again, unless one gets an offer then it would be a question of whether Eastwood or Dewhurst got the third shirt or not.

If we went for Foster then we wouldn't be getting Hendo and vice versa.

Moore or Verrips will play back up again, unless one gets an offer then it would be a question of whether Eastwood or Dewhurst got the third shirt or not.

I imagine Moore and Eastwood may leave, with Dewhurst being a key 'Home & Club Grown' player... unless we want him out on loan playing games and we keep Eastwood for that role.

I imagine Moore and Eastwood may leave, with Dewhurst being a key 'Home & Club Grown' player... unless we want him out on loan playing games and we keep Eastwood for that role.

Isnt the Home and Club Grown player rule just 2? I thought Jags was only here for this season but ive not heard anything about him retiring so wouldn't Jags and Sharp tick that box?

Foster would be good I think he still lives in the Midlands too. he's 37 though if we dont get Henderson back, personally id like us to look at trying to sort some form of longevity in between the sticks

Isnt the Home and Club Grown player rule just 2? I thought Jags was only here for this season but ive not heard anything about him retiring so wouldn't Jags and Sharp tick that box?
I don’t believe there is a club grown restriction for the premier league. There is however in the EFL and UEFA competitions.

For UEFA competitions you can have a maximum of 21 non club trained players and 17 players that aren’t home grown (I assume we are no where near this limit).

I suspect if we get into Europe we will keep one of Eastwood or Dewhurst as 3rd choice keeper, sell Moore and just register 23 players (21 non club trained plus sharp and the keeper). If we don’t qualify for Europe then I think we will stick with Verrips and Moore as 2nd and 3rd choice and either loan or sell Eastwood and Dewhurst.

Back
Top Bottom