Our Manager

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So I will go into my next managerial meeting with the board of directors and just say what I want? Shall I tell the directors that their current media and marketing strategy is 'leftie bollox' and they're being 'snowflakes' (to use a word that gives grunts a boner) by trying to portray a particular image or message? No. If I disagree with something I will do it both professionally and constructively. It isnt about being a 'media darling' it's about acting like a fuckin grown up in public, especially when it is the club that you are respresenting. Im done with this thread, but with a nod to Football Manager 'I'm happy that some of you agree with me and I respect the views of those that dont' 🤣

That’s a decent post for me. Now people talking about this distraction rather than the game tonight.

The system again works it has proved it works time and time again. He is saying the biggest issue is players making mistakes and loss of form/injuries. Again this is in response to a question about what he thinks is different to last season.
Becasue we have had a number of players losing form making silly mistakes and of course the injuries is one of the big reasons why he thinks it has gone so wrong this year.
Unfortunately he cannot drop 5/6 players and bring in different players who are going to do better it just the way it is.

The system doesn’t work just because it worked before though, it’s entirely conceivable that the reason we are were we are is because teams have intentionally set out differently to us in terms of approach

If Wilder wants to think that the reason it’s gone tits up is because of injuries and players performance then fair enough, others can think differently

But knowing players keep on making mistakes each week and not trying something different etc, if Chris can’t take that and let’s that criticism niggle him to the point this happens then I’m afraid that’s on the gaffer

Because their is always another way to approach things

I hope he starts randomly quoting Adam Smith and Milton Friedman and making the case for limited government and a laissez-faire economic policy in the post-match presser, purely to piss off the pearl-clutchers amongst us.

Maybe we have not reached the heights of last season because of injuries , not being the new kids and everyone has seen us last season , the expectation after last seasons heroics , big (for us) signings not coming off , injuries again and Norwood putting us a goal down almost every game ?

So I will go into my next managerial meeting with the board of directors and just say what I want? Shall I tell the directors that their current media and marketing strategy is 'leftie bollox' and they're being 'snowflakes' (to use a word that gives grunts a boner) by trying to portray a particular image or message?

Media and marketing strategy thats the most important thing in this football lark isnt it not whats done on the pitch not the promotion to the PL that actually puts us into the media spotlight
Who actually gives a fuck about whats being said in press conferences (apart from injury updates)
They usually all sound the same anyway with the same stupid questions from the interviewer and the media freindly reply from the interviewee

No. If I disagree with something I will do it both professionally and constructively. It isnt about being a 'media darling' it's about acting like a fuckin grown up in public, especially when it is the club that you are respresenting.

Wilder is entitled to say what he likes if he feels the wish / need to do so. He isnt some corporate management type like Adkins hes his own man and its a shame if he upsets the 'need to be offended' generation. You need to see some of Mr B Cloughs press interviews they would have this generation in floods of tears

Media and marketing strategy thats the most important thing in this football lark isnt it not whats done on the pitch not the promotion to the PL that actually puts us into the media spotlight
Who actually gives a fuck about whats being said in press conferences (apart from injury updates)
They usually all sound the same anyway with the same stupid questions from the interviewer and the media freindly reply from the interviewee

Wilder is entitled to say what he likes if he feels the wish / need to do so. He isnt some corporate management type like Adkins hes his own man and its a shame he upsets the 'need to be offended' generation. You need to see some of Mr B Cloughs press interviews they would have this generation in floods of tears

How do you think prospective players and sponsors etc. would take those press conferences?

They are important and affect their decision making process.

Brian Clough if he was managing like that today would have been sacked, you may not like it but it is how the world is.

I hope he starts randomly quoting Adam Smith and Milton Friedman and making the case for limited government and a laissez-faire economic policy in the post-match presser, purely to piss off the pearl-clutchers amongst us.

Well our recruitment policy is 'British jobs for British workers' as Gordon Brown would say, or 'Buy British, Hire British' as Donald Trump would say.

So can he answer ... Also he is in a job which at this level faces intense scrutiny, esp by the press. ... the freedom to say what you want all of the time ...
The teams kneel for a very political BLM-stuff, the corner flags and the Captains' armbands are all rainbow - very political - but now you suddenly experienced a political revival of the spirits as Wilder said that the "lefties" are behind the cancel culture (which they are)?

Wilder is entitled to say what he likes if he feels the wish / need to do so. He isnt some corporate management type like Adkins hes his own man and its a shame if he upsets the 'need to be offended' generation. You need to see some of Mr B Cloughs press interviews they would have this generation in floods of tears

I think the point he is making is that a manager using words like “lefty” or “gammon” is a bit tin pot, Neil Warnock-esque. We’re in the biggest league in the world and trying to get away from the muck & nettles, grubby little Sheffield United thing.

Yeah I understand that mate, I wasn't having a go at you either, just so you know 😊

IF he admitted to voting tory, then yeah I wouldn't call him "one of our own" but there's a big difference between dismissing someone altogether, and not having them as part of your family.

Id still want CW as manager while ever he's the best professional choice. But as someone who has early memories of watching my uncle die in hospital after Orgreave, had swaithes of family ripped apart by the mining crisis and has lost business to austerity.

I wouldn't dismiss him though, still think he's entitled to vote for whoever he wants...but I wouldn't have him as part of my family/"one of my own"
Totally off topic but isn't it ironic the conservative party are backing a new deep coal mine that will create jobs and help the steel industry not have to import the coke they need ,where as labour has condemned it. .

Yes but there's a difference in doing it so publicly in the Premier League. I always thought his post match press conference away at Leicester last year was uncalled for.
Yeah you make a good point there, I wasn't a fan of that presser either. I guess its about how it's done, take that Leicester interview for example...

Instead of "these are league one players, they're not good enough for this level"...

It might have been better to say, "these guys have proved they can play at this level, so I know they can deliver more than they've just shown"

Its the little things isn't it.

Totally off topic but isn't it ironic the conservative party are backing a new deep coal mine that will create jobs and help the steel industry not have to import the coke they need ,where as labour has condemned it. .

It's funny how Labour and the Left are now against the Fossil Fuel Industry, when one of the biggest opponents against coal was a certain Margaret Thatcher....

Yeah its very ironic, although it does have a lot to do with the global awareness of climate science increasing. Coal was what we had back then, but there are other, better options now. You're right though, its bollocks and it sums up politics as a whole doesn't it!

Summat else making me laugh...

"I'm not bothered about lefties telling me what I can and can't say, I'll say what I want and people should stop being offended"

"Errrrrrr, thats Sheffield UNITED thank you very much, dont get our name wrong cos we'll get offended"

Whatever your opinion on his comments, you've simply got to see the funny side of that 🤣

Yeah its very ironic, although it does have a lot to do with the global awareness of climate science increasing. Coal was what we had back then, but there are other, better options now. You're right though, its bollocks and it sums up politics as a whole doesn't it!
No other option for certain steel products they need that grade of coal ,less carbon footprint by local production compared to importing from North America . But I know the counter augments .👍just find it ironic and amusing

How do you think prospective players and sponsors etc. would take those press conferences?

Im sure that depends on which division we are in (sponsors and players)
and how much we are willing to pay these prospective players
Im sure players talk to each other and will know what a manager is like to actually play for not be particularly bothered about what he says in press conferences

Brian Clough if he was managing like that today would have been sacked, you may not like it but it is how the world is.

Why would that be ? Because he told it how it was and that some people didnt like to hear that
The L666s players certainly didnt :)
He was very successful, he was the best manager in the game and Im sure the players that played for him and won Domestic and European honours loved him as did the fans. But it was a mans game back then no rolling about like a pussy when you got a broken leg you just got up and played on

Im sure players talk to each other and will know what a manager is like to actually play for not be particularly bothered about what he says in press conferences

Why would that be ? Because he told it how it was and that some people didnt like to hear that
He was very successful, he was the best manager in the game and Im sure the players that played for him and won Domestic and European honours loved him as did the fans. But it was a mans game back then no rolling about like a pussy when you got a broken leg you just got up and played on

Because if he acted like that today he would be done for workplace bullying. Times change, even if you or I don't like it.

Press conferences paint a picture, they aren't everything but they are something.

Wasn't cloughy a bit of a lefty 😂

We’re in the biggest league in the world and trying to get away from the muck & nettles, grubby little Sheffield United thing.

Are we trying to get away from what we actually are ?

A team for the working class, play football the right way, dont dive and cheat and roll around like pussies
proud of what we are ,where we have come from have an identity with the City we are from

You are starting to sound like an entitled Premier League fan, proably a Man City fan that has forgotten about the dark days, sure youve not been over to the dark side and taken some of the deludamol they are on over there

You actually think of us as grubby ? WTF

A team for the working class, play football the right way, dont dive and cheat and roll around like pussies
proud of what we are ,where we have come from have an identity with the City we are from

You are starting to sound like an entitled Premier League fan, proably a Man City fan that has forgotten about the dark days, sure youve not been over to the dark side and taken some of the deludamol they are on over there

Spot on .

That’s the misconception mate. We’re trying to get away from people thinking we’re little old Sheffield United, rightly or wrongly. References from the manager like that make us appear a bit small time and unprofessional. As a club we’re better than that.

Little working-class Sheffield United who spend over £20 million on a player? Give over that's long gone. And several of our players dive on a regular basis. Billy is an expert at falling over, Bash less so.

That’s the misconception mate. We’re trying to get away from people thinking we’re little old Sheffield United, rightly or wrongly. References from the manager like that make us appear a bit small time and unprofessional. As a club we’re better than that.

We had better get someone else in as manager then
Wilder isnt going to change
Your opinion, I like to see Chris have a rant once in a while, its been a tough season hes allowed

Little working-class Sheffield United who spend over £20 million on a player? Give over thats long gone
Apparently that is how we are seen, small time, muck, nettles and grubby

Billy is an expert at falling over, Bash less so.

Has Billy won a penalty by falling over this season I cant think of one
Do you really think we are a bunch of divers and injury feigners ? If we are what are the rest of the PL ?

I'm waiting with baited breath for the next presser , vegans ,rainbow laces and kidney punching

In that case the club has failed to prepare him properly.
Giving interviews, talking to the press, etc is part of a manager’s job.
It is kept something you necessarily pick up on the way.
You need to learn it, get advice, be shown the ropes.
It not rocket science but it doesn’t necessarily come naturally.
Public figures, MPs, wannabe MPs and the like all have training in front of cameras, are taught techniques, how to respond, etc.
Surely CW has gone through some of this?
My early post on this thread about the need for good presentation and communication skills in our manager sadly seems even more important now if a bit late. But it's nothing unusual and I still support our manager in difficult as well as good times.

We had better get someone else in as manager then
Wilder isnt going to change
Your opinion, I like to see Chris have a rant once in a while, its been a tough season hes allowed

Apparently that is how we are seen, small time, muck, nettles and grubby

Has Billy won a penalty by falling over this season I cant think of one
Do you really think we are a bunch of divers and injury feigners ? If we are what are the rest of the PL ?

I never said he was won a penalty. I also never said we feign injury. He wins several free kicks every game by getting himself between the defender and the ball and going down at the slightest contact. That is a dive. I'm simply pointing out that all football teams do it, to a degree. We might be less showy about doing it and not do it nearly as often as Jack Grealish, but it doesn't mean we don't do it.

The system doesn’t work just because it worked before though, it’s entirely conceivable that the reason we are were we are is because teams have intentionally set out differently to us in terms of approach

If Wilder wants to think that the reason it’s gone tits up is because of injuries and players performance then fair enough, others can think differently

But knowing players keep on making mistakes each week and not trying something different etc, if Chris can’t take that and let’s that criticism niggle him to the point this happens then I’m afraid that’s on the gaffer

Because their is always another way to approach things
The system worked last year because it sacrificed a significant percentage of our attacking intent to reinforce an already solid defence. A defence that was almost singlehandedly responsible for our success last year. The problem is, the sacrifice of our attacking intent has remained this season, but we don’t have anything like the same defensive strength to grind out results. We should have either spent the budget on strengthening the defence to continue along the same lines, or tweaked the shape in favour of attack to compensate for a far more leaky defence. We did neither, and have been largely shit.

Back
Top Bottom