Our Billy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Oh it's more than a couple. They've just been kept quiet because he's scored so many goals.
A couple of games without him on the scoresheet and the knives are soon out.

I think what raised your ire so much was the suggestion that he would have to fight for his place coming back from injury. Same as Moore. Same as Freeman. Same as Donaldson. Same as Clarke. etc. Nothing sinister about any of that. Not like you to overreact....

I think what raised your ire so much was the suggestion that he would have to fight for his place coming back from injury. Same as Moore. Same as Freeman. Same as Donaldson. Same as Clarke. etc. Nothing sinister about any of that. Not like you to overreact....

Actually I've been pointing out the inherent bias against him since at least pre-season 2016, so....

Actually I've been pointing out the inherent bias against him since at least pre-season 2016, so....

Try somewhere else, trawl through my posting history and you'll see I'm a bigger fan of Sharp than you (although you may find that difficult to accept). I just don't see the angst towards Billy that you claim to exist.

Try somewhere else, trawl through my posting history and you'll see I'm a bigger fan of Sharp than you (although you may find that difficult to accept). I just don't see the angst towards Billy that you claim to exist.

I don't recall saying that you personally were part of the "mob", to use your favoured terminology, because I don't think you were.

I'm talking about the avalanche of bullshit that I've seen on here since the beginning of last season:

"He doesn't do anything"

"He only scores penalties"

"He always misses penalties"

"He won't reach 15 goals this season"(2016/17)

"Being a striker is about more than scoring goals"

And my most recent favourite from about two weeks ago, "Anybody else would've scored as many if not more".

If you don't recognise yourself in those comments then good, I'm glad.

Nothing less than a modern-day Blades hero. A generation of kids growing up today will recognise him as such, just as mine did with Brian Deane.
The curmudgeonly shit-own-your-own elements of this fan base won't acknowledge that fact, but fuck 'em, they're worthless.
Always found your on-line persona interesting and puzzling. Out of idle curiosity (aka sheer bloody nosiness) I looked at your profile, and find that you are 32. If your kids grew up with Deano as a hero, you must have been one hell of child prodigy to have fathered children when he was playing. Even Trump doesn't claim to have had that power.;)

Apart from a couple of members of this forum, United fans love Billy. I don't know why you keep trotting this mantra out.

Fucking tedious isn't it?

I must have imagined the standing ovation he got from everyone on Saturday, and I completely missed the booing and wanker signs from a quarter of the Kop.

I don't recall saying that you personally were part of the "mob", to use your favoured terminology, because I don't think you were.

I'm talking about the avalanche of bullshit that I've seen on here since the beginning of last season:

"He doesn't do anything"

"He only scores penalties"

"He always misses penalties"

"He won't reach 15 goals this season"(2016/17)

"Being a striker is about more than scoring goals"

And my most recent favourite from about two weeks ago, "Anybody else would've scored as many if not more".

If you don't recognise yourself in those comments then good, I'm glad.

Well, if nothing else you've given me a few pointers on how I can wind you up in future! ;)

Always found your on-line persona interesting and puzzling. Out of idle curiosity (aka sheer bloody nosiness) I looked at your profile, and find that you are 32. If your kids grew up with Deano as a hero, you must have been one hell of child prodigy to have fathered children when he was playing. Even Trump doesn't claim to have had that power.;)

I'm from Wincobank, it's quite common :)

Point taken though. Bad wording on my part!

Nothing less than a modern-day Blades hero. A generation of kids growing up today will recognise him as such, just as mine did with Brian Deane.
The curmudgeonly shit-own-your-own elements of this fan base won't acknowledge that fact, but fuck 'em, they're worthless.

I'd say probably more Agana than Deane. Smashed it in the 2nd and 3rd tier. He'd have to smash it in the top flight to be comparable to Deano and Billy has himself said Deano is some way ahead of him (and his childhood hero).

I'd say probably more Agana than Deane. Smashed it in the 2nd and 3rd tier. He'd have to smash it in the top flight to be comparable to Deano and Billy has himself said Deano is some way ahead of him (and his childhood hero).

It wasn't so much a direct comparison, just an observation on the reverence in which these players are held when you're growing up.

i think he was referring to his 'own' generation. if he is 32 that sounds about right actually.. and there are plenty of Billy haters on here. 'only get's in the team because he's local'.. blah blah

Billy does score a lot of ‘tap ins’ but it takes a quality striker to get into that position in the first place, he has proved this beyond doubt over the last few years if not before. Goal scorers are worth their weight in gold.

I must have imagined the standing ovation he got from everyone on Saturday, and I completely missed the booing and wanker signs from a quarter of the Kop.

I don’t think the crowd that go to games have any issue with him. Unfortunately, on these boards, both occasions he’s hit dry spells (say 3 games without a goal) as night follows day it will result in posts that he needs dropping and is past it. You’d think the experience of seeing him come through the temporary lapse in form two seasons ago might have meant when a similar spell hit last year that they hold off jumping on him immediately when he stopped scoring. It did not. And it will inevitably happen again when Sharp inevitably runs into a spell when he isn’t scoring (as all strikers do). It’s a minority of online fans, but it’s a noticeable one – and it’ll be back...

I should add that we have a similar odd vocal minority eager to ditch our magnificent formation at any sign it doesn’t work for two games in a row.

How anybody could have issues with Billy is beyond me hes folklore at the Lane.
Much like another Lane great called Billy i give you Mr Dearden

I don’t think the crowd that go to games have any issue with him. Unfortunately, on these boards, both occasions he’s hit dry spells (say 3 games without a goal) as night follows day it will result in posts that he needs dropping and is past it. You’d think the experience of seeing him come through the temporary lapse in form two seasons ago might have meant when a similar spell hit last year that they hold off jumping on him immediately when he stopped scoring. It did not. And it will inevitably happen again when Sharp inevitably runs into a spell when he isn’t scoring (as all strikers do). It’s a minority of online fans, but it’s a noticeable one – and it’ll be back...

I should add that we have a similar odd vocal minority eager to ditch our magnificent formation at any sign it doesn’t work for two games in a row.

Don't doubt that mate and I've seen the odd post like that myself.

Just can't fathom why one poster has to get a dig in at our fans in general on every thread about Billy, and hugely, dare I say massively, overplay the criticism he gets.

Hopefully nobody is confusing the suggestion that 'a player who isn't on form should be rested', with the hatred of that player. There isn't one of our strikers who I have any qualms with and given the reviews of Smith (especially the last one) I'd like to see how he would perform maybe coming off the bench soon. Perhaps (and once again this is IMHO) this was the successor to Cole that the management were thinking of.

Don't doubt that mate and I've seen the odd post like that myself.

Just can't fathom why one poster has to get a dig in at our fans in general on every thread about Billy, and hugely, dare I say massively, overplay the criticism he gets.

I see you joined the forum this calendar year.
Suggest you have a roll back to previous threads around the start of last season, when we didn't start like a house on fire.
Some of the post were, frankly, ridiculous. So many calls for him to be dropped (even for players who were clearly unfit or just plain injured at the time).
The fact he scored for fun the rest of the season has kept them at bay, but a prolonged spell of no goals will see the "only gets picked because he's a Blade" re-surface I'm sure.
At one stage we even had a thread slamming Garyoke because he said "Well played Billy" when he was subbed!!!!

Remarkable stats where Billy is concerned , even more so when you consider (and my memory may not be entirely accurate) his first stint at United , wasn't that great

upload_2017-10-24_17-42-14.png
Not shabby at all. His latest stint - League only - (2015-16) 21 goals in 42 League starts, (2016-17) 30 goals in 44 starts (2017-18) 5 goals in 9 starts (so far). Billy makes the £10m Wendy wasted on Rhodes look exceptional value.

I see you joined the forum this calendar year.
Suggest you have a roll back to previous threads around the start of last season, when we didn't start like a house on fire.
Some of the post were, frankly, ridiculous. So many calls for him to be dropped (even for players who were clearly unfit or just plain injured at the time).
The fact he scored for fun the rest of the season has kept them at bay, but a prolonged spell of no goals will see the "only gets picked because he's a Blade" re-surface I'm sure.
At one stage we even had a thread slamming Garyoke because he said "Well played Billy" when he was subbed!!!!

Been reading the board for years.

Still seen nothing on here or at games to justify the generic digs at our fans over Sharp.

The fact that three games without a goal is considered a dry spell just speaks volumes as to how prolific he is though doesn't it?

Our Billy's got a ten foot willy
he showed it to the girl next door
she thought it was a snake and hit it with a rake
and now it's only 4 foot four

wrong thread?

You need to be in the Blades Pam Ayres poetry section mate...:tumbleweed::)

Back
Top Bottom