Our Billy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

GreasyChipBeattie

Reaction score
Sky Sports just showed an interesting stat on their 'Goals on Sunday' show.
Their guest, Rickie Lambert, has scored the most goals of anyone in any league this century.
The list is as follows:
Rickie Lambert: 219
Wayne Rooney: 201
Jamie Cureton: 199
Our Billy: 196
Jermain Defoe: 188
You never know, he might go on to make a decent striker one day.

He needed a good performance and need to keep on turning in good performances because at the minute Leon Clarke has made himself undroppable, and I think there is a strong case for David Brooks making a few first team starts alongside Clarke.

It is not a criticism of Billy, but more shows how the strength of the squad has evolved.

Aye, he was quality yesterday and his goal may have been a tap in but his movement was excellent. Should have had a second but for a good save.

Sky Sports just showed an interesting stat on their 'Goals on Sunday' show.
Their guest, Rickie Lambert, has scored the most goals of anyone in any league this century.
The list is as follows:
Rickie Lambert: 219
Wayne Rooney: 201
Jamie Cureton: 199
Our Billy: 196
Jermain Defoe: 188
You never know, he might go on to make a decent striker one day.
Ricky won't have the record soon.. although is Cureton still playing?

Yesterday blew away the theory that Sharp and Clarke couldn't play alongside each other. They complemented each other superbly.
Then you and I saw / see this very differently. They didn’t / don’t.

However, two good individual performances more than made up for the clear lack of understanding between the two.

UTB

MoM yesterday, for me. Just edging Leon & Bouncekiller & Baldock.

The front three were heroic - made a decent side look like clowns for much of the game, leaving them with nowhere to go, making million pound-plus footballers panic & comically shank the ball into touch again & again.

League record since we signed him back: Started 95 games (4 sub appearances), 56 goals.

Absolutely outstanding performance by him yesterday according to Wilder – highlights how he’s adjusted his game since he came in. No signs yet that he can’t continue to be effective for us.

Was back to his best yesterday. Led the line superbly. Receives and holds the ball so so well, bringing his team mates in to the game.

UTB
Thought he seemed heavy legged first half but got his goal and seemed to lift him.

Second half he was running at them and ripping them apart.

He needed a good performance and need to keep on turning in good performances because at the minute Leon Clarke has made himself undroppable, and I think there is a strong case for David Brooks making a few first team starts alongside Clarke.

It is not a criticism of Billy, but more shows how the strength of the squad has evolved.
I agree, I think Brooks plays far better when he starts games, when he comes on as a sub he doesn't seem to have the same impact, it's as if he needs 10-15mins to settle in?

Ricky won't have the record soon.. although is Cureton still playing?

Maybe on a zimmer frame, saying that it wouldn't surprise me if he's in the non-leagues somewhere scoring goals.

EDIT - a quick google and he's 42 and playing for Farnborough town:

Senior career*
Years
Team Apps (Gls)
1993–1996
Norwich City 29 (6)
1995–1996Bournemouth (loan) 0 (0)
1996Bristol Rovers (loan) 6 (4)
1996–2000 Bristol Rovers 168 (68)
2000–2003 Reading 108 (50)
2003–2004 Busan I'Cons 21 (4)
2004–2005 Queens Park Rangers 43 (6)
2005–2006 Swindon Town 30 (7)
2005–2006Colchester United (loan) 8 (4)
2006–2007 Colchester United 44 (23)
2007–2010 Norwich City 69 (16)
2008–2009Barnsley (loan) 8 (2)
2010Shrewsbury Town (loan) 12 (0)
2010–2011 Exeter City 41 (17)
2011–2012 Leyton Orient 19 (1)
2012Exeter City (loan) 7 (1)
2012–2013 Exeter City 40 (21)
2013–2014 Cheltenham Town 35 (11)
2014–2016 Dagenham & Redbridge 83 (26)
2016 Farnborough 7 (8)
2016 Eastleigh 7 (1)
2016 Farnborough 1 (1)
2016–2017 St Albans City 15 (4)
2017Farnborough (dual registration) 8 (6)
2017– Farnborough 13 (4)

I agree, I think Brooks plays far better when he starts games, when he comes on as a sub he doesn't seem to have the same impact, it's as if he needs 10-15mins to settle in?
cos he's a young lad.. simples.

Remarkable stats where Billy is concerned , even more so when you consider (and my memory may not be entirely accurate) his first stint at United , wasn't that great

He could easily go on to set the record and he'd thoroughly deserve it. He's been a consistently good goalscorer his whole career. Aside from a dire spell for Leeds and played out of position alongside Beattie, he'd be there already.

He could easily go on to set the record and he'd thoroughly deserve it. He's been a consistently good goalscorer his whole career. Aside from a dire spell for Leeds and played out of position alongside Beattie, he'd be there already.

He's well respected at Leeds funnily enough. Be interesting to see the reception he gets on Friday.

Remarkable really. Just 6 goals at Leeds and they still love him and they've never forgotten him.

Perhaps Scum fans are actually better supporters than most of ours.

Remarkable really. Just 6 goals at Leeds and they still love him and they've never forgotten him.

Perhaps Scum fans are actually better supporters than most of ours.

Apart from a couple of members of this forum, United fans love Billy. I don't know why you keep trotting this mantra out.

Apart from a couple of members of this forum, United fans love Billy. I don't know why you keep trotting this mantra out.

Oh it's more than a couple. They've just been kept quiet because he's scored so many goals.
A couple of games without him on the scoresheet and the knives are soon out.

Back
Top Bottom